How would you fix us?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's semantics but your OP gives the impression that we have a fundamental problem when in reality we are on the right track and we just need to continue improving, like our results suggests.
That's not really how I intended it to be.

My intention was to to shift focus from calling all our players every horrible thing under the sun (although some have performed diabolically) to instead consider what people would do differently.

I do think we have made a lot of progress, however I don't think we are a title winning team. Jose needs more time imo.

yo@Kirk

A. The immediate games coming up. You can't improve with players that are unavailable.
1. Blind is playing best at LB so play Blind at LB.
2. Mitchell at RW because he has the pace to stretch the defense, the ball striking ability to put in a good cross or shot from distance, and the experience to contribute on defense.
3. Play a 4-3-3 with Herrera at the base, Matic and McTominay up top until one of Pogba, Fellaini, Zlatan, or Pereira can play #10 in a 4-2-3-1.

B. The January window.
1. Buying in the January window reeks of desperation, so prepare to get hosed. 2. Recall TFM and CBJ for FB positions and Pereira for #10/CAM if possible.

C. The Summer Window
1. Go for free tranfers that fit the preferred formation and a position in serious need of an upgrade. Ozil for #10 in a 4-2-3-1 or Goretzka for #8 in a 4-3-3. Ghoulam for LB if JM stays with a back 4.
2. Spend big to play someone at the position that made them extremely expensive .

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That's not really how I intended it to be.

My intention was to to shift focus from calling all our players every horrible thing under the sun (although some have performed diabolically) to instead consider what people would do differently.

I do think we have made a lot of progress, however I don't think we are a title winning team. Jose needs more time imo.
While I would never want to make comparisons with City, they shifted out a load of squaddies and replaced them with quality. I don't subscribe to this "you can't make too many changes in one window". If you do it badly like Everton and Spurs a few years back, shopping in the bargain bins then yeah you're going to fail. But as much as it pains me to say it, City got it right this season with their transfers.

I don't understand why people are having these mini meltdowns at Mourinho yet clinging on to the average squaddies that are padding out our squad. We have so many players that really add little to the team and could be improved significantly. We just need a ruthless cull. We have a great spine but the fillers are letting us down big time.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
While I would never want to make comparisons with City, they shifted out a load of squaddies and replaced them with quality. I don't subscribe to this "you can't make too many changes in one window". If you do it badly like Everton and Spurs a few years back, shopping in the bargain bins then yeah you're going to fail. But as much as it pains me to say it, City got it right this season with their transfers.

I don't understand why people are having these mini meltdowns at Mourinho yet clinging on to the average squaddies that are padding out our squad. We have so many players that really add little to the team and could be improved significantly. We just need a ruthless cull. We have a great spine but the fillers are letting us down big time.
Who would get rid of?

Who would you try to bring in?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Don't want to say.. scared of being called wumminator

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Conte went from winning the league to archaic tactics in 8 games :lol:
:lol: You can't make it up. Chelsea from October to NY last season was probably the best period of form a PL team has had ever, all achieved with dinosaur tactics no less.

Silverman

Immediate fix if everyone is fit.

Against weaker teams:
--------------------------------De Gea
-----------------------Bailly----Jones----Rojo
---------------Valencia---------Matic----------Shaw
-----------------------------Pogba
-------------------Rashford------------Martial
--------------------------------Lukaku

Against tougher opponents:
--------------------------------De Gea
-----------------------Bailly----Jones----Rojo
-------------Valencia----Fellaini----Matic----Shaw
--------------------------------Pogba
-------------------------Lukaku----Rashford/Martial

Valencia and Shaw bombing down the flanks giving an attacking threat from wing back.

::sonny::

The squad is short, and the subs are not good enough

With this material you can reach only a place between 2nd and 5th

prtk0811

Bring ibrahimovic in the dressing room for every game, first and fore most so that he transfer's his mentality on the the players in the squad.

Play a system suiting to players strenghts

Improve the ball circulation which needs to be much much better. Cut out the wrong passes in right moments, Intelligence is all we need.

People here mention left back too much but it is not one of our main concern at the moment we seem to be doing okay there. Its the right wing that needs urgent adress. A player like lucas moura or wilfried zaha should be our bench player not freaking lingard and we need a top level winger there also

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Immediate fix if everyone is fit.

Valencia and Shaw bombing down the flanks giving an attacking threat from wing back.
Luke Shaw in any starting eleven is a pipe dream. Seems like he doesnt give a toss about making it here.

el3mel

I'm inclined to give Zlatan the number 10 role once he gets fit. I was against it once and he's not fast, but he'll hold up the ball pretty fine and has some nice passes in him, he'll always keep Lukaku upfront. Mikhi should be moved to the right not because he's good but because he's the only available option. Also he'll keep pace in the team instead of the slow Mata.

DDG
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Blind
Matic - Pogba
Mikhi - Zlatan - Rashford/Martial
Lukaku​

this should be our lineup in the second half of the season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Who would get rid of?

Who would you try to bring in?
Not really fussed who came in so long as they were an improvement. As to who I would let go:

Smalling, Lindelof, Blind, Darmian, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Herrera, Carrick, Lingard, Young.

If we did a Man City with that lot, we would sweep all before us. As much as love Mkhi, he just ain't cutting it and for where we are, we really cannot have any passengers at this moment in time. We need to have a whole team at the top of their game.

And before people start to get all hissy, this is just my opinion.

el3mel

Not really fussed who came in so long as they were an improvement. As to who I would let go:

Smalling, Lindelof, Blind, Darmian, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Carrick, Lingard, Young.

If we did a Man City with that lot, we would sweep all before us. As much as love Mkhi, he just ain't cutting it and for where we are, we really cannot have any passengers at this moment in time. We need to have a whole team at the top of their game.
Why does anyone still want the likes of Smalling to leave ? He has been a very good backup this season. Blind also is a very important option to have on the bench.

prtk0811

I'm inclined to give Zlatan the number 10 role once he gets fit. I was against it once and he's not fast, but he'll hold up the ball pretty fine and has some nice passes in him, he'll always keep Lukaku upfront. Mikhi should be moved to the right not because he's good but because he's the only available option. Also he'll keep pace in the team instead of the slow Mata.

DDG
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Blind
Matic - Pogba
Mikhi - Zlatan - Rashford/Martial
Lukaku​

this should be our lineup in the second half of the season.
I dont expect rojo to come backthe same he was last year. Also blind is my second choice lb.

el3mel

I dont expect rojo to come backthe same he was last year. Also blind is my second choice lb.
Jose said he'll come back in about 2 weeks. By Jan he would be back to match fitness and being sharp I assume.

Till we get a proper LB, Blind seems to be the most reliable one of the bunch.

prtk0811

Jose said he'll come back in about 2 weeks. By Jan he would be back to match fitness and being sharp I assume.
BUt i dont expect him to pick up same form like last year. rarely seen a player who comes back the same when he gets injured just immidiately. Zlatan could be an exception.

Ashley young has done very well at lb too not a bad choice. Blind can play against small teams.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
GK: Absolute world class.

Defence: Jones and Bailly are top class but we are a little bit weak at full back.

Central midfield: Pogba and Matic are top class.

Striker: Lukaku and Zlatan are top class.

Attacking midfield: Our weakest link which has been obvious for the last couple of games. It has also coincided with the absence of Pogba. Ideally I would like us to get Özil in January and a replacement for Mata in the summer.
Jones isn't top class. There's too many players of ours that are overrated by our supporters and this is why they are left scratching their heads when we come up short.

If you honestly measure up some of our players against what our competition have, it's embarrassing. Especially when you consider how much has been invested in the team the last few years.

And whilst Lukaku and Ibra are capable of scoring a lot of goals, they aren't the best footballers. When they are involved in the play outside of the box they hinder our attack. They're not absolute top level for this reason, for me.

el3mel

BUt i dont expect him to pick up same form like last year. rarely seen a player who comes back the same when he gets injured just immidiately. Zlatan could be an exception.

Ashley young has done very well at lb too not a bad choice. Blind can play against small teams.
He'll take time but that's normal. He'll restore his form sooner or later.

Young is a hit or miss in LB. He's good if we're playing Fellaini with him since he's the only one who moves on the far post where his crosses mostly go to.

Mylock

Solve the problem with Shaw or replace him in January. (Blind, Damien, Young not up to the job)
Give Axel Tuanzebe a chance in a back three with Bailly, Jones.
Play Martial, Lukaku and Rashford and give them the freedom to play. Jose keeps messing with Martial and Rushford's head, can#'t be good for their confidence.
Go for it against Spurs.

prtk0811

I'd Like us to play martial or rashford up front rather than in a 4231 or 451

3412. (We need more goals up front and lukaku alone is too much burden on him.

...........Martial/rashford......Luakaku/Ibra.......

----------------Mkh/mata/ibra/fellani/herrera----------------( depending on the situation and need)

Young---------Pogba---------Matic-------------Valencia

-------PJ/MR/DB-------Smalling----------Bailly--------

----------------------Degea-----------------------

This is the best attacking system we could put out there. Could also be played vs teams whoplay 3 at the back including city if they play back 3.

If we need more control the middle and opposition has the quality to find space behind wingbacks we need to play a straight up 433.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Immediate games it's difficult because we have so many injuries and we will face some tough teams. Lindelof has been horrible in the PL so far, and i don't think we should take a chance on him against Chelsea or Tottenham. Smalling and Blind have been a good partnership before, so this would be my choice in defence until Bailly/Rojo/Jones come back. Rest of the team pick itself really. We just need to loosen up a bit on our defensive shape and go for it a bit more. Let Rashford or Martial have more freedom and less defensive duties, so they can stay in the final third and do what they're best at.

Lukaku
Marcus/Martial Miki Mata
Matic Ander
Young Blind Chris Anton
DDG
In January, getting Ozil could prove vital for the rest of the season. We all have our doubts, but if he secures a top 4 finish he would be worth the small compensation that Arsenal will demand. Tierney could be an option too, as i think Celtic would be willing to let him leave if they get knocked out of the CL.
We have a lot of forwards, but no real wingers, so a formation where we can have 2 strikers while still keeping a good defensive balance would be the logic thing to implement.

Marcus/Martial - Lukaku/Ibra
Ozil/Miki
Tierney/Young - Matic - Pogba - Anton/Young
Rojo Smalling Bailly
DDG

Hopefully we will soon have some players back from injuries, which will help a lot. But i think this is the way to go, until next season.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Problem is creativity (or lack of it)Since Pogba (and dare I say it Fellaini) has been out of the team, we have lacked a player to link MF to attack. Herrera has been way off the mark in the games in the last few weeks and so has Mikhi. No matter how many destroyers you have in Matic, he's still not a player to turn a game. Yes he will break up play but he's never going to box to box it. If you haven't got that link up play, then its easy headlines for the press. 'Lukaku only had one touch blah blah' We simply lack creativity through the middle. It makes us easy to defend against. We go wide, take your pick from any average Joe on the left hand side. Go right and you know 9 times out of 10, Valencia will try and go on the outside. I would prefer Mata playing 10 and Miki playing more right sided attacker.

I believe if Jose sorts out this LB role with a permanent player and we have Pogba back then we will be a stronger more well-balanced team.

Yesterday was disappointing but hey we had these results and performances under SAF, Moyes and LVG. So not overly concerned with yesterday.

Reiver

I would play a system that allows us to play 2 up front. This would be playing to our strengths, particularly when Zlat is back. I would stop playing a system that calls for wingers, we don't have any and continually playing players out of position is hampering us, more so on the right.
I'd also invest in some proper ball playing centre miss who can create and control a match.

twopenceofreality

I would start by shifting all the subpar and poor players in the squad. People forget the importance of getting rid of players before even thinking about buying new ones. Ashley Young, Lingard, Fellaini, Luke Shaw and many more have failed to live up to the standards expected at the highest level. We need to stop making excuses for players performing poorly and we need to stop giving game time on the basis of nationality or passion. Talent, quality and efficiency should be the fundamental thing.

Secondly, the right investment has to be made. You could argue that a large majority of players brought in by the last 3 managers have been mostly shocking. There are gaps everywhere, in central midfield and attack in particular. Beyond Matic and Pogba, the midfield is average. Martial and Rashford need to improve significantly, and to do that will be bringing in quality players in their position. They can either sink or swim.

We need to play players in their right positions too. A club, with United's history and finances should not be having a mediocre ex Aston Villa winger at left back. Go out, find a proper left back and right back. Width is crucial in the modern game, we don't penetrate enough from the wide areas. People talk about buying wide players but Full backs are the key. We need attacking Full backs. The central midfield needs more refurbishment, as mentioned above, only two players in that position stand out. The rest are sub par.

Lastly, questions have to be raised about Mourinho. His style isn't likely to blend well with the demands of old Trafford and arguably at the top level. We may have to look beyond him because he clearly has not improved his attacking deficiencies. The club is spending vast sums every window yet the team on the pitch is far from brilliant. Something does not add up and we all need to wake up.

beingshe7don

I don't think the squad needs fixing right now. That should be left for the summer.

Right now - Jose needs to do the following:

1. Give Shaw confidence to start playing in the first team again. He is the only natural left back we have and he needs to be played to develop the confidence to deliver there consistently. I would imagine that Jose will play Rojo a lot at left back once he is fit, but Shaw is still head and shoulders above Rojo in an attacking sense.

I was one of the few that wanted Shaw to succeed but he's been a similar case to that of Hargreaves for us. I don't see him regaining his form or reaching his peak potential. We need to start looking elsewhere for a world class LB.

2. Lindelof clearly looked psyched about his first PL game. Jose has made such a big deal of it by not playing him that Lindelof was too keen to impress and made 2 stupid mistakes/ decisions. That's what happens when you are second guessing yourself. He needs to play more often in the league (reminds me of the Vida/ Evra first performances). Substitute appearances every time we are at least 2 goals up (I'm assuming that will happen) is a must.

Lindelof has been shaky in every game he's played for us thus far. And yesterday was a game against below par opposition and he looked pretty bad. Lindelof was brought in because he featured against tougher opposition in the Champions League. He's been referred to as the ICE MAN because of his ability to be cool when dealing with pressure. Clearly, not living up to his nickname. I don't blame Mourinho for not giving him game time because he's not good enough. I would rather have given Tuanzebe an opportunity considering his performance against Arsenal last season.

3. Play Martial and Rashford together in a couple of games and see how that goes. Martial on the left and Rashford on the right can be a great combination with Lukaku up front. We need to play those 3 together in the League Cup/ remaining Champions League group fixtures and see if they gel together. Mata and Mhiki should have to fight it out between them for the no. 10 spot given that they are the ones playing at a lower level than both of the youngsters.

Martial and Rashford are not traditional wingers. The only reason why they are played on the LW is because they can both cut in and shoot. The purpose of not playing them together is because when one goes off and the other comes off the bench, we can kill the game towards the end. I agree that Mata and Mhiki need to fight it out for No. 10 but neither of them are good enough at this point in time to be the playmaker.

4. Play Scott McTominay in a midfield 3 to see if he performs for the first team. We have given him a new contract, so Jose should treat him like a midfielder and play him. (Also, if possible, give Matic a rest in the midweek game, he looks tired. He will be our most important player against Spurs and Chelsea).

McTominay is not good enough. He is tall and strong but I don't know if he can run the midfield (maybe in Cup ties). I think we missed the creativity of Periera.

Tactically, Jose needs to work on player movement. We have scored so many goals on the counter-attack this season that the players seem to be waiting for the game to open up before going hell for leather. Moving the ball from side to side without purpose was the worst thing in the HUD game. We need them to want to create from the first minute, and Jose needs to get his tactical team working with the players on that front. They are good enough to break most teams down, but they haven't done it over the last week.
I do agree with the statement that we need to work on player movement and creation.We can't expect to deal with teams on the counter each time. We lack creativity and we were tired and sluggish. We need creative people in midfield as well as proper wingers who can whip in crosses. Mata and Lingard are not good enough wingers at this level.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Obviously, it had something to do with contract expiry but we need an upgrade player to replace them like Carrick, Herrea, Mata, Young, Blind and Fellaini. Ideally, replacement player for our starting XI if either of them gets injured, we can't afford to have another injury crisis.

Carrick, Mata, Young and Blind and maybe Herrea, they are not enough good for United. if we didn't get proper right-wingers, we will need to buy RB that has the ability to cross and can bomb forward, same as LB, a replacement midfielder for Pogba, Matic. We don't need a replacement for Lukaku because we got Martial and Rashford who can play in that position.

However, Scott Mctominay should be given a lot of games especially CL group stage games, FA Cup, League Cup and some EPL games so we can see how good is he before we decide to get new midfielder players. I see a bit of Pogba in Mctominay IMO
Sorry for the late reply.

Basically, where we don't agree is about the quality of our players/squad players. I would leave many of them if they are willing to be in a rotation like so far. Especially Fellaini, Herrera, and Mata. On the bench you need to have good, reliable players and imo they all are, regardless of what some of them are showing now.
I think we are on the right track and definitely not far away. When complete, we proved that we made a lot of progress looking at the last season. Now with all the injuries, we are still very difficult to beat and can get the result. I still feel we are one window short, where we must add quality LB, and a world-class winger or a no. 10 (maybe Griezmann) to complete our transition and become an excellent team. Results are already there in terms of being among top 2-3 clubs in the country. But then again, I never thought we are quite ready to fight the title this season. Maybe if some circumstances go our way.
In short, this team needs a little more quality, not quantity.

Performance wise, yes, I would like if Mourinho adds a little bit of risk to our attacking play away from home. But, knowing his style of play, that's hardly going to happen. Also, this building process demands patience, I hope he will show it.

As for Mctominay, hope he starts against Swansea, especially with all the injuries and fatigue but can see him in the future only as a squad member at best.

Last edited:

Jacob

Why is everyone going on about fatigue? It's only October! How do other squads do it? Squads that rotate even less than us.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Why is everyone going on about fatigue? It's only October! How do other squads do it? Squads that rotate even less than us.

Matic needs a rest for sure bearing in mind Spurs game in 6 days, probably even Lukaku.

The others are fine imo, but mostly because of injuries.

mckr13

Never on this but thought I would add my pennies worth.

We have been spoilt and witnessed some great football under SAF, he got us to a level in which we were comfortable competing against top teams from around the world. How did he do that, he ensured his players had a work ethic and drive to be the best they could be. When they pulled on that shirt they knew what it meant to be playing for Man United, they knew the history of the club and the responsibility that came with playing for this great club. I remember an interview with Patrice Evra when he joined and how SAF embedded into him the importance of all the above.

Mourinho needs to start instilling more belief in this squad, Lindelof needs time to settle, but he needs a run of games and his confidence to build up. He will come good and form a good partnership with Bailly if he can stay fit.

How do we fix things, play a proper left back Blind will do until either Shaw gets his head sorted or we invest in someone else, Tierney looks decent from what I have seen but it is a massive jump from Scottish football but he has all the attributes to make said jump.

Never play Jones and Smalling together, my heart sinks a little every time they play together. Smalling for me needs to be moved on we need a CB who can actually use the football. Currently we have no platform to play from when playing out from the back so midfielders drop even deeper to get on the ball creating a problem in that our creative players, Pogba, Mhki etc are now further away from the areas we want them to be playing in and isolates Lukaku (whose hold up play needs to improve drastically). If we have a decent ball playing centre half our fullbacks can then get higher and wider up the pitch this opens up the whole pitch and stretches teams.

change the formation, set-up 4-1-2-3, both fullbacks when we our in possession get high and wide, one midfielder sits to offer protection if needed but essentially they are there to keep the team moving forward and creating momentum in attacks, switching play when required. Martial and Rashford to attack either side of Lukaku with pace and purpose creating one v one situations in which they are so good at when given the opportunity. Without the ball Rashford and Martial can drop back to offer protection depending on the point of attack.

So we set up against Spurs like this, we are Man United and we are taking the game to them, let them worry about us.

DDG
Valencia Lindelof Jones/Bailly(if fit) Blind
Matic
Herrera, Mhki
Rashford Lukaku Martial

Well that's how I see things, long term we need to invest in a winger, LB, RB and if Mhki is not doing it then a central attacking midfielder. Move on Mata, Young, Smalling, Shaw (if he can't get his head straight). Replacements need to offer something in terms of improvement we need quality in depth.

Reactions: Snowjoe

tomaldinho1

1) Sort our LB
Our biggest attcking threat is down the left in Martial/Rasford but our LB rarely overlaps (whether Blind, Darmian or Young - who does a little more but not enough and isn't left footed) so they can be doubled up on very easily. Martial was always against 2 or 3 defenders against Huddersfield.

2) Stop trying to incorporate a No10 into a formation which doesn't allow one to flourish.
Mkhi is a good player, Mata is a good player but this system is hell for them. If we had a more mobile front line (like City, Spurs or Pool) he'd be great because he'd have options when he gets the ball but we have no RW and Lukaku up top who is pretty static.

3) Snap up Sanchez on a free + break the bank for Kane

N2402

what utd should have done before getting jose, get pochettino, and not giving average players like lingard £100k contracts ffs

What I would do;
Out: Carrick, Young retire. Shaw sell. Mata sell. Darmian sell. Mkhitaryan sell. Lindelof sell.
In: Tierney, Pulisic, Malcom, Lemar, Fosu Mensah, Milinkovic Savic
GK: De Gea, Romero
DF: Valencia, Tierney, Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe, Blind
MF: Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fellaini, Milinkovic Savic
WF: Malcom, Pulisic, Martial, Lemar
CF: Lukaku, Zlatan, Rashford
Agree that #10 isn't really a priority. I think Pogba and the other attacking mids could do with space to run into. Rashford could play as second striker also. We need more players that are coming into their prime and less players that are getting past it. Then we'll be better.

donkeyfish

A. We've played well enough this season, just keep doing the same thing. There'll always be set-backs.

B. Ibra will be a good addition to the squad around that time. A top class wide player if possible.

C. We could probably aim to replace a few players, in the 3 behind the striker and at full-back. Depending on some of our younger players, a cm. Although we seem to get all injuries in the same position, we actually have quite a deep squad so rather replacing than adding.

No need to panic

Womp

idiot
We can replace managers all we want, until we address the balance and ability in our squad we'll always be nearly men. We need a proper top left back, Shaw isn't making it here, let's stop dicking around with make shift midfielders and centrebacks there. I like Valencia, but he's on the bad side of 30 now, with dodgey knees and with the money we have - we can do much better. His best asset is his speed and just about most of the RB's at the top teams are faster than him. He's woeful at delivery and doesn't possess the ability to beat men with pace. That part of his game turned to shit in SAF's last season, it's been years, he's not improving on it now. It's why he always gets the ball and shimmies, passing it backwards, or outside foot passing it into the middle of the pitch rather than running down the line.

Get in another creative midfielder. When Pogba is out of the team and Fellaini is injured, all we have is Herrera and Matic. Both players who have extremely similar styles, which doesn't compliment one another. In fact, our shaky results at Liverpool and Huddersfield has been down to the midfield imo. At Liverpool we couldn't play as we were getting pressed in the middle of the pitch, being outnumbered 2v3 and not being able to get out, losing possession. That comes down to the fact that we don't have another ball carrying midfielder if Pogba is out. When you don't have a ball carrying midfielder, a big player to overcome to press (Fellaini) or a midfielder who's comfortable under pressure, you're always going to struggle against the press. As much as I like Herrera - he should be backup to Matic who does what he does, only much better.

We need a right sided player. Rashford isn't good there. He's been shite everytime he's played there for England. He doesn't have a very good left foot and he isn't a proper winger. Get in either a proper winger who can hug the touchline or get in a left footed player who's capable of cutting in from that side.

Lastly the 10 position. Either scrap it completely or get in a better player. Mata is slowly getting past it and Mkhi is far too wasteful for a team with our aspirations. They're both good players but neither are good enough to be first choice in a position that is one of the most important in an attack. If we are going to persist with a 10, break the bank for someone who will compliment Lukaku, who's capable to drop deep and influence play from midfield and create a third body in the midfield two and also someone who's able to make runs off Lukaku into the box, or sit behind him and play balls in. Someone like a Dybala, or a Griezmann. If we aren't going to go with a number 10 - bring in another midfielder to compliment the Pogba - Matic partnership. A DLP would be preferred, to compliment Pogba's attacking and Matic's defensive style.

We have a very good core of young, talented players. Although I don't think this squad is good enough to challenge for major honors and I said as much before the season started. We need to start moving on the old guard, players who are clearly past it and players who clearly aren't good enough. Stop putting so much faith in players who don't deserve it and be ruthless, improve where we need to improve. City didn't do too well last season, so they got rid of half their squad and paid over a 100m for Fullbacks alone. That's the kind of ruthlessness we need to show.

We get a few injuries to key players and we suddenly look a few levels below our previous level. That shouldn't be an issue at a club with our resources.

Also most importantly, either get in a feckin DOF or stop chopping and changing managers every two years. We need stability and balance, spending money on players for different styles with different attributes is never going to get a cohesion and understanding between players.

RedStrudel76

We've spent close to 500 million for crying out loud!!!!!!
This. Real Madrid virtually only spent around that to create the new Galactico's since Perez took over.. so I think it's down to the managers and Jose has to take a large portion of blame. Ed Woodward isn't forcing players on anyone and if he is Jose is letting it happen.

Money is not the answer anymore, coaching these players is.