How would you like us to approach the Liverpool game?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Sit back and counter. That’s the only way we could get a result against these! They always leave spaces at the back so if we can defend well and attack with pace then we’ll win.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Park every bus we can find!

things is that Im not sure ETH has this in his repertoire, he's been pretty persistent on the attacking midfield and high press

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m calling it. Rashford masterclass incoming.

Sit back, go long & it’ll finally come off.

wolvored

2 pivots 1 to be an anchor just in front of defence the other a disciplined DM. 1 CM playing in CM and not as a SS when thety are on the attack. We have 3 mostly ineffectual attackers so would hope he plays the inverted wingers as proper wingers eg Antony on LW Garnacho on RW so they can try and get some crosses in for Hojlund.

Remember the geese

Sad to say, I don't think it will matter how we set up. We can't be bothered to match their effort and energy levels. The same thing happened recently against Newcastle, who are basically a Poundland version of Liverpool. This very basic thing makes anything more nuanced completely redundant.

zaafi

I'd like the players to pass the ball to each other until an opportunity presents itself. Nothing fancy, no hoof balls and hope Antony wins an aerial duel against Van Dijk. Pass it and move, wait for space to open up as will inevitably happen because of their relentless pressing. I feel Garnacho is going to be up for it, and considering how vulnerable TAA is defensively, letting Garnacho have a go at him and cause havoc from left would be our hope of getting goals.

They are very easy to create chances against, their midfielders are inexperienced and we should take advantage of it. Average teams in the PL manage to create chances against them simply by playing football. Our only hope is that Liverpool's attackers are having a day off, or that our defenders turn up big time.

There is also no way we should be playing Martial up top in this game. Højlund looked exhausted against Bayern, but he definitely needs to start here.

OleGunnar20

I'd put a team out with the express instructions of kicking seven shades out of them. This team were completely humiliated and need to put it right. Anyone who doesn't show the required fire gets the Sancho treatment for the remainder of this season.

Of course injuries really make this tricky, but id probably end up lining up something like:

Any Keeper
McTom - Varane - Evans
AWB - Ambrabat - Mainoo - Dalot
Hannibal
Hojlund - Garnacho

Irwin99

Park the bus, fight for absolutely everything and try and nick something on the counter. No moaning or heads dropping even if we go behind.

People focusing on tactics are right and all but the attitude has to be much better from the players and they should be aware of how embarrassing it's been for the fans over the past three seasons where we've conceded 4 or more goals on 4 different occasions (i think that's correct anyway). Nothing should ever happen like last season again where Shaw completely lost his head and DDG practically let in everything that was thrown at him.

Said many times but we rarely smashed Liverpool even in our glory days in the 90s and 00s- the feckers always put up a fight even when they were crap. Players should fight for everything in these games-professional pride and for the fans.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Go to the wrong Liverpool. End up playing Liverpool FC in Uruguay

redmanx

More than anything I want to see them TRY! I want to see them run and chase every ball, hunt down every Liverpool player, harry, harass and fight! I want to see them leave the pitch covered in sweat and mud, I want to see them looking as if they had just been in a fight! And if in between theres some good football and good decision making and they manage to pass the ball to their team mates and not give it away and maybe get a couple of chances or shots on target then, no matter the result, I'll be happy and proud.....but I have a terrible feeling I'll end up miserable and depressed because I really dont think our players dont have the mentality or attitude to fight and will simply roll over and be crushed.

wormdoktor

I'd put a team out with the express instructions of kicking seven shades out of them. This team were completely humiliated and need to put it right. Anyone who doesn't show the required fire gets the Sancho treatment for the remainder of this season.

Of course injuries really make this tricky, but id probably end up lining up something like:

Any Keeper
McTom - Varane - Evans
AWB - Ambrabat - Mainoo - Dalot
Hannibal
Hojlund - Garnacho

YES. I want to see anger. Licha energy from the Aug 22 match. Commitment measured in yellow cards earned.

Fts 74

I genuinely can't remember going to Anfield with so many people convinced that not only are we gonna get beat, but get hammered.Last seasons nightmare and recent form obviously accounts for it.I don't think Liverpool are great tbh, hopefully he shores up the midfield Mainoo and Arambat have to play, along with Mctominay probably, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rashford start with Hojlund and Antony. I definitely think we can get something, but we have to take our chances and We'll need Onana to be at his best.
1-1 or 2-1 either way.

ti vu

I genuinely can't remember going to Anfield with so many people convinced that not only are we gonna get beat, but get hammered.Last seasons nightmare and recent form obviously accounts for it.I don't think Liverpool are great tbh, hopefully he shores up the midfield Mainoo and Arambat have to play, along with Mctominay probably, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rashford start with Hojlund and Antony. I definitely think we can get something, but we have to take our chances and We'll need Onana to be at his best.
1-1 or 2-1 either way.
The issues we got losing to not great teams (not in good form), conceding plenty chances to bad teams even. Newcastle was not even in good form, but they clearly outclassed us, when we was supposed the most in form team in the PL.

Liverpool has scored in all of their games this season. So even outside stat padding scoreline, they didn't fail to score against tougher teams. They shoot a lot. Both clinical and jammy, which even at our best, it's still very difficult to stop them let alone our current state.

GK being great doesn't stop the goal if we allow them chances. And hoping Onana suddenly transform is wishful thinking. If it is so easy, he could have turned in an ordinary performance for the Galatasaray game, and that would be good.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Have a go at them, press them, match their effort at least. They're not that great at the moment

Ultimately I'm just bored of watching us and some other teams approach big games like we're whipping boys. Our performances against other big teams is pretty shameful. There's much worse teams that have give them a run for their money and tried to have a go. Luton came with energy and took a point.

Everybody is predicting a battering, but that shouldn't be happening. If it does then something has gone very wrong again.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We need to fight hard and keep the scoreline below 3-0. That'll be progress. Next season 2-0 and by 2028 onwards we can go hard on them for 1-1 draw.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
ETH for once should stop the cowardice and play the tactics he was originally hired for. Enough of this zombie football. He's going home anyway, just think he should try and go big and redeem himself a bit.

TheRedHearted

If we play an actual midfield, keep it tight and try and contest the game in a functional manner, I'll be more assuaged than if we persist with nonsense, despite the two methods possibly leading to the same result regardless. Those kind of optics are dreadfully important to me in this game... the result itself, not as much, so long as we don't get pasted.

How does your line of thinking go?
Onana Heaton
Wan Bissaka Dalot varane Maguire​

(kidding). We played so well against Chelsea with a high tempo, but unfortunately that is so unlikely to show up. So we have to play more physical and compact.
Defensive, try to counter, and above all else pray!

The same formation we played in this one v City when Ole was here. Front two split wide. Got a bit lucky with the two Ederson mistakes and only had 27% possession but xG was 1.74-0.59 so a reasonably fair result.

Not a bad formation at all. Do we even have enough defenders to pull that off?
Garnacho Hojland
Bruno
Reguilon Amrabat Mainò Wan Bissaka
Shaw Maguire Varane

really wonder what
Hojland Scott
Fernandes​
Would be like

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Play with a bit of positivity and at least pretend that they care. We are a mid-table team this season but sometimes you’d just hope the players show a bit of fight.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not a bad formation at all. Do we even have enough defenders to pull that off?

Garnacho Hojland
Bruno
Reguilon Amrabat Mainò Wan Bissaka
Shaw Maguire Varane
We have just about enough defenders, but would need someone to fill in for Bruno. Only option looks like McTominay unless we surprise everyone and go for Van de Beek, bring Sancho back into the fold or play someone like Anthony there. Maguire is out, so would have to slot Evans in there unless Lindelof is available.

Last edited:

mikeyt

Mix it up, play some younger players, get in their faces and have a go. Better to do that and take a hammering by trying rather than parking the bus and still getting beat by 4. We have an inadequate GK and a poor defence so we can't just try and defend.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
ETH for once should stop the cowardice and play the tactics he was originally hired for. Enough of this zombie football. He's going home anyway, just think he should try and go big and redeem himself a bit.
Couldn’t agree more.

SER19

Id like to see a 352/532

Onana

AWB
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw
Reguilon

Amrabat
Mainoo
McTominay

Hojlund
Rashford

Its not a bad line up, theres lots of experience at the back and amrabat and mainoo are both good enough on the ball to not capitulate in the middle. When we have possession AWB and Reguilon should be able to push up more with Hojlund and Rashford coming a little closer, while otherwise give a nice outball in the channels. The weak point is McTominay in terms of his creativity but he's been scoring a bit lately and will hopefully at least work hard.

I think we should set out to try win the game, accepting we'll be up against it but knowing that Liverpool do give away chances

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Sit back and defend like your life depends on it and hope for a narrow win/draw, but most likely a defeat.