HS2

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Good. We should be thinking of other methods of transport for the north like firing northerners out of cannons.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's better than that. They're going to build half of it and leave a 50 mile chunk in the middle on existing track.
Oh, amazing. They really should've started building it from the north first.

Infra-red

Oh, amazing. They really should've started building it from the north first.
Indeed, as literally everyone said at the time this bollocks was originally announced.

The northern section is the section that actually makes some sense. It will never be built of course - the whole thing will be scrapped after the completion of phase 1, which *puts tinfoil hat on* was always their plan anyway.

The Integrated Rail Plan has been released.

Wigan gets a station for some reason.
The Leeds branch is cancelled.
The Eastern leg from Birmingham stops at East Midlands Parkway in the middle of nowhere.
The high(er) speed line between Manchester and Leeds is cancelled.

fergieisold

Wigan gets a station for some reason.
The Leeds branch is cancelled.
The Eastern leg from Birmingham stops at East Midlands Parkway in the middle of nowhere.
The high(er) speed line between Manchester and Leeds is cancelled.

All in all it's becoming a waste of time and effort.
The plan is different but the Manchester Leeds will be part new line/part upgrade. Journey cut to 33 minutes.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Wigan gets a station for some reason - isnt there a big service hub / depot for HS2 meant to be there?
The Leeds branch is cancelled. - yes but reviewing how to get the high speed trains from sheffiled to leeds still so i think its still getting the station and tram as they look for the most effective way to get sheffield leeds (new lines, upgrades etc)
The Eastern leg from Birmingham stops at East Midlands Parkway in the middle of nowhere. (yes and no - the trains transfer to the normal line at that point and continue to sheffield but yes they are upgrading parkway)
The high(er) speed line between Manchester and Leeds is cancelled. - new line yes but they are upgrading the existing i think to give approx the same journey time as the high speed would have done

Leeds - Network Rail has been asked to look into how to get HS2 trains into the existing station. There will be nothing new built there.
Manchester to Leeds - Transpennine upgrades were supposed to do most of that anyway. The new line was something additional.

Manchester does pretty well out of it, especially the airport. Leeds and the North East get completely screwed though.

fergieisold

Leeds - Network Rail has been asked to look into how to get HS2 trains into the existing station. There will be nothing new built there.
Manchester to Leeds - Transpennine upgrades were supposed to do most of that anyway. The new line was something additional.

Manchester does pretty well out of it, especially the airport. Leeds and the North East get completely screwed though.
If (and it's a big if) the new line / upgrades to the Manchester --> Leeds route happen it will be a significant cut in journey times from over an hour to 33 minutes. That's pretty decent.

I'd love to know more about the new line up to Marsden. I know the area well and the issue always seems to be the Standedge tunnel. Not sure how they can get a new line to Marsden without building another tunnel.

If (and it's a big if) the new line / upgrades to the Manchester --> Leeds route happen it will be a significant cut in journey times from over an hour to 33 minutes. That's pretty decent.

I'd love to know more about the new line up to Marsden. I know the area well and the issue always seems to be the Standedge tunnel. Not sure how they can get a new line to Marsden without building another tunnel.
The baseline they went with was 55 minutes which is cheekily the post Covid number. Before that it was 48 minutes.

Quite a lot of detail is missing from the report once you get beyond the London to Manchester bit. Makes me wonder how much of it will really happen.

Don't Kill Bill

I don't think we were offered the option of using the money elsewhere though. It was High speed rail or nothing. This was to offer a fig leaf to the embarrassingly huge sums spent during the recession on cross rail. That by 2032 ish this project would built so don't question the massive austerity spending cuts while watching the most expensive metre for metre railway ever, being built at the same time, in surprise surprise London.

Would anyone be shocked if it was cancelled after cross rail is finished ?
I was almost right if they had just delayed the announcement it until summer.

Wheato

People pointlessly travelling into offices will gradually die out. If not by the utilization of technology, which enables everyone to work from home, the compulsory reduction of your carbon footprint will be a future tax on people and businesses.

People won't need to get on a train to London, Leeds or Liverpool, because companies won't have offices anymore. This is already happening. And company directors are realising that they can save a fortune on renting office space, and put more money into their own pockets.

HS2 is an old solution for a problem that won't exist in the future. Use it for freight and reduce the enormous amount of lorries off the road.

People pointlessly travelling into offices will gradually die out. If not by the utilization of technology, which enables everyone to work from home, the compulsory reduction of your carbon footprint will be a future tax on people and businesses.

People won't need to get on a train to London, Leeds or Liverpool, because companies won't have offices anymore. This is already happening. And company directors are realising that they can save a fortune on renting office space, and put more money into their own pockets.

HS2 is an old solution for a problem that won't exist in the future. Use it for freight and reduce the enormous amount of lorries off the road.
Office rentals in the UK have already almost recovered to pre Covid levels.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Tories probably gonna cut Manchester out of hs2
That will anger some of their mates in London. I thought the whole idea of hs2 was to cut the travel time for most of the United home fans by half.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It's insane how much more cheaply and quickly the French, Spanish, etc. can build high speed lines than the UK on HS2. I assume the Tories are just making sure all of their donors and cronies get to skim a bit off the top on the contracts like with the COVID fast lane.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
It's insane how much more cheaply and quickly the French, Spanish, etc. can build high speed lines than the UK on HS2. I assume the Tories are just making sure all of their donors and cronies get to skim a bit off the top on the contracts like with the COVID fast lane.
There's also no space in the UK. The Manchester Piccadilly platforms need completely rebuilding outside of where the current station is now, and knocking down buildings and infrastructure that is already in place.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
There's also no space in the UK. The Manchester Piccadilly platforms need completely rebuilding outside of where the current station is now, and knocking down buildings and infrastructure that is already in place.
Could they go underground or would that be too expensive?

Eric_the_Red99

That’s pretty much the reason why the cost has gone up so much (or one of the reasons). Most of the railway cuts through open countryside where there’s plenty of space but much of it has had to be put in tunnels to stop it impacting on property values along the route. It could and should have been much cheaper.

alsabi

Can't wait for Great British Railway Journeys season 20.

P-Nut

Not at Piccadilly there is no space. If you're familiar with Manchester the HS2 is going to run next to platform 1, with a gap in between for the station and platforms etc. It'll basically be a railway line on stilts.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Not at Piccadilly there is no space. If you're familiar with Manchester the HS2 is going to run next to platform 1, with a gap in between for the station and platforms etc. It'll basically be a railway line on stilts.
Ah right. I thought it was to be extended the other side at platform 13 & 14. Whole thing seems a total mess now.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Ah right. I thought it was to be extended the other side at platform 13 & 14. Whole thing seems a total mess now.
There have been plans for an extra platform on the curve at 13/14 but that is separate to HS2 I think. Really needs two extra platforms and the track doubling but I can't see the money ever being provided for that.

There have been plans for an extra platform on the curve at 13/14 but that is separate to HS2 I think. Really needs two extra platforms and the track doubling but I can't see the money ever being provided for that.
The Northern Powerhouse line is supposed to be going under the whole station last i read. Might as well have it floating in the sky as it'll never happen.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The Northern Powerhouse line is supposed to be going under the whole station last i read. Might as well have it floating in the sky as it'll never happen.
I'm out of date, the plan for extra at 13/14 was withdrawn in May apparently. But woohoo, the extra platform at Salford Crescent is still going ahead. Quite pitiful considering the thousands of miles of high-speed railway that has been built all over the world, countries richer than us, poorer, sparsely populated or densely, they all believe in high speed rail. Except us. Maybe they're all wrong and we're right, that must be it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_high-speed_railway_lines

P-Nut

Yeah it's strange 13/14 has the space, but from 13/14 through to Oxford Road etc there is no space to add extra lines so you'd only be gaining extra platforms, but no extra lines.