Humiliating Defeats aka Totally Destroyed

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

I really like Irureta's Super Depor team, and enjoyed their master-classes such as this win over Milan, teaching Arsenal a footballing lesson at Highbury in the Champions League in 2001/2002, outclassing Real Madrid in the 2002 Copa Del Rey final at the Bernabeu, the 5-2 win over Real Madrid in La Liga in 1999/2000, the win away to Bayern in 2002/2003 (admittedly Bayern sucked in the CL that season but still Depor were impressive), the 4-2 win at the Camp Nou in 2002/2003.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I moved to Newcastle in 1995 And worked nightshift in a Tesco. I went to work that night with my Utd top on.

i knew I was getting slaughtered so I thought I’d brazen it out.

At 1am, we went for “lunch” - put my food down and went for a slash. Came back and all my stuff covered in 5-0 stickers.
including INSIDE my bloody ham sandwich!
:lol:

Gazza

Chelsea 3-5 Manchester Utd
FA Cup 3rd Round, 1998

Chelsea scored 3 goals in the last 10 minutes to make it look closer than it was. United went 5-0 up at Stamford Bridge when Chelsea actually had a very good team.

Liverpool 3-6 Arsenal
Carling Cup, 2007

The night when Jeremie Aliadiere looked like prime Lingod and Baptista scored 4 at Anfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The one that I always think of is when we lost 5-0 to Newcastle! We were head to head with them at the time and they absolutely annihilated us. Could have been eight or nine in truth! Ginola was sensational!

And who can forget “Alberrrrrrrrrrrrt” to finish it all off? I cried for hours after this one. Watching it now was surprisingly ok though..

That last goal chip is superb :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Not sure anything under 5-0 can be considered a humiliation between on paper two even matched sides, embarrassing maybe, but not humiliating unless certain players in the beaten team were shouting the odds before the game.
It's not just the score, but if the other team is favourite to win it.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
There's been at least three Liverpool teams I'd rate over Klopps. I just meant that a team with Ablett and Gillespie (ok players mind) at the back would struggle to compare to some of the great 70s defenders. (but as I said, the front four (five if you include McMahon) were excellent).

The Spurs game was the one with McDermott scoring one of the goals of the season? I really rated him..... we did a pre-PL draft game thread a year or two ago and I had him in my side. Great player in a great team.
A lot of people tend to forget about Steve Nicol when they talk about Kenny's great side of the late 80's. Excelled at playing either right-back or left-back, & did a fantastic job playing as a right-sided midfielder, as, & when, required. 37 goals in 343 appearances tells it's own story about the lad's qualities. Not bad for a defender who never comprised his defensive duties for the opportunity to get forward whenever the opportunity arose. We were also blessed with 3 top class central defenders during that period with Hansen, Lawrenson, & Gillespie. The latter played a key part in that 1987/88 side that only suffered their first league defeat of the season in March.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed Man. United losing 5-0 up at Newcastle and then 6-3 at Southampton happened within 6 days of each other. Newcastle of course had a very good team in those days, Southampton avoided relegation on the last day of that season by a point.

Still won the league that season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A lot of people tend to forget about Steve Nicol when they talk about Kenny's great side of the late 80's. Excelled at playing either right-back or left-back, & did a fantastic job playing as a right-sided midfielder, as, & when, required. 37 goals in 343 appearances tells it's own story about the lad's qualities. Not bad for a defender who never comprised his defensive duties for the opportunity to get forward whenever the opportunity arose. We were also blessed with 3 top class central defenders during that period with Hansen, Lawrenson, & Gillespie. The latter played a key part in that 1987/88 side that only suffered their first league defeat of the season in March.
Thought he was an excellent player too (I like the solid players who just get on with their game and cover more than one position), just never rated Gillespie - had an ok season or two, don't think he played that many times considering how long there (injuries or ability?). Lawrenson at end of Liverpool career then.

Good season, excellent front line, tier below the teams of the 70s or early 80s or mid 80s. Conversely, one of the Liverpool teams I was 'ok' with though (results aside).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You forgot
Liverpool 1-4 (2009)
That 1-4 doesn't sit in the same list for me. The others were absolutely deserved thrashings, the 1-4 was a bizarre game where we were on top in the first half I remember correctly, and then Evra and Vidic decided to make what were close to their only errors of the season, and suddenly we were on the wrong end of what looked, but didn't actually play out like a drubbing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't a full strength Barca lose 4-0 to Getafe in the cup one or have I made that up?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Amazed Man. United losing 5-0 up at Newcastle and then 6-3 at Southampton happened within 6 days of each other. Newcastle of course had a very good team in those days, Southampton avoided relegation on the last day of that season by a point.

Still won the league that season.
If I remember correctly, we also lost 2-1 at home to Chelsea, making it 3 defeats in a row.

The Newcastle 5-0 was just a whitewashing, but the Southampton one should be filed in a different box entirely.

For starters we had Keane sent off very early, and I believe Butt also went off injured.
Meaning we had a near the end of his career McClair trundling around as our centre mid, and obviously 10 men.

So that one wasn't quite the battering the Newcastle one was to me.

We'd kept Newcastle out amazingly the season before, whereas this time everything went in.

Web of Bissaka

Award of Most Humiliating Defeat = Totally Destroyed goes to.. surely "the 7-1"?

Biggest stage, host and at home.

The "consolation" goal they pulled one back I felt the German players just leave it be freely.

AKDevil

The 5-0 at Newcastle still burns my chest a little bit. Albert’s fifth goal is the final insult. A total, mocking disrespect of the greatest goalkeeper to ever live.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ireland losing 1-6 to Germany spring to mind. Awful Irish performance.

About 7 years ago

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I can’t look beyond that World Cup Semifinal between Brazil & Germany. I mean it was 5-0 within 25 minutes in front of thousands of Brazilians dressed in bright yellow.

I still enjoy watching it now. I think it was Keown laying into David Luiz on commentary forhis display.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern 5 Arsenal 1
Arsenal 1 Bayern 5
Bayern 5 Arsenal 1
Roma 1 Bayern 7
Bayern 7 Barcelona 0
Spurs 2 Bayern 7
Brazil 1 Germany 7
Germany 4 England 1
Germany 4 Argentina 0
Germany 4 Portugal 0

On the other side
Germany 1 England 5
Bayern 0 Madrid 4

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This one is quite appropriate as it happened exactly 31 years ago (to the day). Real Madrid were on a streak where they had won 4 La Liga titles on the trot and had reached the European Cup semi-final stage in both 1987 and 1988. Sánchez was the reigning Pichichi, Butragueño had finished 3rd in the Ballon D'Or a year ago, Schuster had just signed from bitter rivals Barcelona — and then, of course, you had the Quinta del Buitre narrative (analogous to the Class of '92 for United). All came crashing down vs. a club that had embarked upon its first European Cup campaign in a decade, an era-defining match really — at least for Milan, who drew great confidence from the spanking and established themselves as the foremost team in all of football under Sacchi and subsequently Capello.

Seminal match.

Real were much more in the game than the scoreline implies. They were the better team for various spells, but lost their composure while Milan were absolutely ruthless at the other end, and by the end of the game were completely broken. Part of what contributed to losing their heads was their total bamboozlement over Milan’s super-aggressive offside trap and high line. Butregueno seemed to be permanently offside. And compounded by the compactness of Sacchi’s tactics which were fairly new to the game and forced Real into more hopeful balls over the top. It was the game that propelled Baresi into the top tier amongst the all time greats as his mastery over both teams was so all encompassing.

MADReaLJL

That 1-4 doesn't sit in the same list for me. The others were absolutely deserved thrashings, the 1-4 was a bizarre game where we were on top in the first half I remember correctly, and then Evra and Vidic decided to make what were close to their only errors of the season, and suddenly we were on the wrong end of what looked, but didn't actually play out like a drubbing.
The second half was a drubbing. We were lucky it didn't end with 1-6.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Currently streaming the 2010/11 CL final between us and Barcelona. The difference in class was staggering. They killed us. It painful looking but I can't stop myself from watching it.

JarkiJarko

Bayern regularly destroy Dortmund at home:

19/20: 4-0
18/19: 5-0
17/18: 6-0
16/17: 4-1
15/16: 5-1

:lol:

Hamburg is even worse in away games against Bayern, they should just stay home next time.

17/18: 8-0
16/17: 6-0
15/16: 5-0
14/15: 8-0
12/13: 9-2

:houllier: