Humiliating Defeats aka Totally Destroyed

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can’t look beyond that World Cup Semifinal between Brazil & Germany. I mean it was 5-0 within 25 minutes in front of thousands of Brazilians dressed in bright yellow.

I still enjoy watching it now. I think it was Keown laying into David Luiz on commentary forhis display.
For all the stick Luiz gets for that night I (and every Brazilian I've spoke to about this agrees) think main the culprit for that night was Fernandinho.

Old Ma Crow

Not so much the scoreline itself, but the ramifications of the goal that was just scored - Real knock Atletico out of the CL and one man just can't take it! :lol: CR7:cool:

Untd55

Liverpool 4 v 0 Barcelona (2019) - Completely dominated. How the 4th goal was scored makes it even worse.

Milan 3 v 0 Manchester United (2007) - Completely outplayed in the second leg; it wasn't even a game.

Middlesborough 4 v 1 Manutd - Not sure there is much worse for Manchester United than this.

Robertd0803

Wengers last game vs United where Fellaini scored with a last minute header much to Joses delight. Ok it was 2-1 but was just a nice way of crushing Wengers soul one last time.

Plenty of ones against us I wont mention.

A few of Madrids CL finals ended up that way, the 4-1 vs Atletico and the Juve final. They just had another gear at times.

Both legs of our CL game in 2009/2010 vs Milan. Even the aggregate scoreline flattered them after we battered them in the San Siro. It really showed how far Milan had fallen.

Germany v Brazil.

Germany v England 2010 WC. (Regardless of Lampards not a goal).

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but Stoke 6-1 Liverpool is one of the best examples.

not just the result, this was astonishingly embarrassing - but more for the fact It rained on Gerrard’s parade. The build up. The studio. Everything was all about him. What a way to go!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Barcelona beating PSG 6-1.

Ajax beating Madrid 4-1 in Madrid

Demyanenko_square_jaw

For all the stick Luiz gets for that night I (and every Brazilian I've spoke to about this agrees) think main the culprit for that night was Fernandinho.
HIs performances for Brazil were consistently really bad. He couldn't handle that extra pressure at all and was just constantly charging about with no sense of positioning giving away fouls, or making bad choices when on the ball.

I'm meaning Fernandinho btw.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wengers last game vs United where Fellaini scored with a last minute header much to Joses delight. Ok it was 2-1 but was just a nice way of crushing Wengers soul one last time.

Plenty of ones against us I wont mention.

A few of Madrids CL finals ended up that way, the 4-1 vs Atletico and the Juve final. They just had another gear at times.

Both legs of our CL game in 2009/2010 vs Milan. Even the aggregate scoreline flattered them after we battered them in the San Siro. It really showed how far Milan had fallen.

Germany v Brazil.

IIRC wasn't it Ronaldinho rolling back the years that made it a contest? (At the San Siro)

Ronaldinho vs Real Madrid. The look on Casillas' face.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Losses we’ve suffered

City -5-1
City 1-6
Liverpool 2-0 (April 1992)
both CL final defeats to Barca

These hurt and humiliated the most for me. City games 5-1 battered by such dross. 6-1 because I just felt for SAF at the time, he was holding back the tide of an Arab nation, backed by a board intent on value signings.

losing the title at the Scousers in 92. We’d gone 25 years at that point, seemed like it would never happen. They glorified in putting the final nail in the coffin....and gave the title to Leeds!!!

The CL defeats in hindsight weren’t anything to be ashamed of since that Barca team is probably the greatest ever, but the manner of them, they destroyed us....if it was a boxing match it would’ve been stopped earlier. Plus it’s the hope that gets you, second time around you know they are a great team and we’re on the decline, but the hope that you can fluke it....it’s a European cup.
Awful

SER19

Brazils loss to Germany is the greatest hammering of all. The stakes, the setting, the utter capitulation. It still gives me an uneasy feeling and I'm not even Brazilian.

Blackwidow

The special about that was just the arrogance of the British press and pundits prior to the match...

...none of the Germans would make the English team...

Last edited:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Losses we’ve suffered

City -5-1
City 1-6
Liverpool 2-0 (April 1992)
both CL final defeats to Barca

These hurt and humiliated the most for me. City games 5-1 battered by such dross. 6-1 because I just felt for SAF at the time, he was holding back the tide of an Arab nation, backed by a board intent on value signings.

losing the title at the Scousers in 92. We’d gone 25 years at that point, seemed like it would never happen. They glorified in putting the final nail in the coffin....and gave the title to Leeds!!!

The CL defeats in hindsight weren’t anything to be ashamed of since that Barca team is probably the greatest ever, but the manner of them, they destroyed us....if it was a boxing match it would’ve been stopped earlier. Plus it’s the hope that gets you, second time around you know they are a great team and we’re on the decline, but the hope that you can fluke it....it’s a European cup.
Awful
Agree with these, and the reasonings behind them. We were lucky to have limited Barca to 2-0/3-1 victories respectively.

I would also throw in the 4-1 home defeat to liverpool in 08/09. Needlessly brought our closest rivals back into the title bid. Of course this defeat is lessened by us winning the title in the end, but at the time it was numbing.

gormless

Liverpool 4 v 0 Barcelona (2019) - Completely dominated. How the 4th goal was scored makes it even worse.

Milan 3 v 0 Manchester United (2007) - Completely outplayed in the second leg; it wasn't even a game.

Middlesborough 4 v 1 Manutd - Not sure there is much worse for Manchester United than this.

I would say that in hindsight the Boro 4-1 match was in hindsight the game that kicked off our most successful period ever. Keane went mental on MUTV, leading to him leaving and SAF signally his faith was now in the next generation.
But yeah, I was a United fan living in Middlesbrough at the time. Not nice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Few times United have been in a football match where we have been levels below our opponents in my life.

Milan 3-0 in the San Siro
Real Madrid 3-1 in the Bernabeau

Those are the two that immediately come to mind. We have had other off days like losing 5-0 to Chelsea and Newcastle, but those ones seemed more like inexplicable blips at the time. Milan and Real were real schoolings though.