Hurricane Patricia

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Huge hurricane expected to hit Mexico today. 200 MPH winds measured. Two cities in its path. Could be very ugly if structures aren't very solid which I suspect they are not.

Mexico's Pacific coast is in the crosshairs of Hurricane Patricia, which became the most powerful tropical cyclone ever measured in the Western Hemisphere on Friday morning as its maximum sustained winds reached an unprecedented 200 mph (320 kph).

The hurricane is forecast to make landfall in the Mexican state of Jalisco Friday evening as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane capable of causing widespread destruction. Residents and authorities in Mexico are rushing to prepare for what will likely be the strongest hurricane to ever make landfall on that country's Pacific coastline.

ghagua

Hope people stay safe and loss of life is kept to the minimum.

ghagua

If the hurricane lands at that speed a lot of lives would be lost.
Absolutely. But people need to get to shelters as soon as they are told. This way loss of life can be kept to the minimum. I remember hurricane katrina that hit New Orleans and was shocked at the amount of lives that was lost during that hurricane. There is no way that should have happened in the U.S with the amount of warning people got, but most people simply ignored the warnings and we saw the results.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Absolutely. But people need to get to shelters as soon as they are told. This way loss of life can be kept to the minimum. I remember hurricane katrina that hit New Orleans and was shocked at the amount of lives that was lost during that hurricane. There is no way that should have happened in the U.S with the amount of warning people got, but most people simply ignored the warnings and we saw the results.
That is false.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Absolutely. But people need to get to shelters as soon as they are told. This way loss of life can be kept to the minimum. .
How many shelters are there in those parts of mexico - honestly thats not a loaded question I genuinley have no idea of what provision is made for storm proof infrastructure there and as such how viable (and in what numbers if at all) it is for people to get to shelters?...

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
What is false? People were warned to evacuate because of the approaching storm. What they could not predict was the devastation that it would cause.
Not sure large numbers intentionally stayed behind. Always some idiots stay but most wanted to leave.

Louisiana's hurricane evacuation plan calls for local governments in areas along and near the coast to call for evacuations in three phases, starting with the immediate coast 50 hours before the start of tropical storm force winds. Persons in areas designated Phase II begin evacuating 40 hours before the onset of tropical storm winds and those in Phase III areas (including New Orleans) evacuate 30 hours before the start of such winds.[15]

However, many parishes were not able to provide sufficient transportation for citizens who did not have private means of evacuation, and many private care-taking facilities who relied on the same bus companies and ambulance services for evacuation were unable to evacuate their charges. Fuel and rental cars were in short supply and many forms of public transportation had been shut down well before the storm arrived.[16] The end result was that hundreds of thousands of residents and tourists were unable to evacuate and remained in the city. Nonetheless, some estimates claimed that 90-92% of the 1.3 million residents of the New Orleans metropolitan region evacuated including 80% of Orleans parish.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
How many shelters are there in those parts of mexico - honestly thats not a loaded question I genuinley have no idea of what provision is made for storm proof infrastructure there and as such how viable (and in what numbers if at all) it is for people to get to shelters?...
I doubt they are set up for this. Go a few miles from resorts and you'll "houses" in terrible disrepair. This will not be pretty.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I doubt they are set up for this. Go a few miles from resorts and you'll "houses" in terrible disrepair. This will not be pretty.
i did think that may be the case - as such suggesting people get to shelters may be at best optimistic as the shelters probably don't exist in sufficient numbers to protect people and at worst the shelters will be non existent

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What is false? People were warned to evacuate because of the approaching storm. What they could not predict was the devastation that it would cause.
Almost no one ignored the message. Those who didn't get out, couldn't. A disproportionate amount of those who couldn't get out lived in the poorest neighborhoods.

Flooding was predicted, but levees breaking was not expected. The disaster of Hurricane Katrina goes beyond the few days of the storm. It's 10 years past and the effects are still being felt.

ghagua

Honestly no idea.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Watching a stream now (it's yet to hit land).

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
New stream.

Could be the biggest in recorded history to hit land.

Pic taken from the ISS.

Last edited:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Not sure large numbers intentionally stayed behind. Always some idiots stay but most wanted to leave.

Louisiana's hurricane evacuation plan calls for local governments in areas along and near the coast to call for evacuations in three phases, starting with the immediate coast 50 hours before the start of tropical storm force winds. Persons in areas designated Phase II begin evacuating 40 hours before the onset of tropical storm winds and those in Phase III areas (including New Orleans) evacuate 30 hours before the start of such winds.[15]

However, many parishes were not able to provide sufficient transportation for citizens who did not have private means of evacuation, and many private care-taking facilities who relied on the same bus companies and ambulance services for evacuation were unable to evacuate their charges. Fuel and rental cars were in short supply and many forms of public transportation had been shut down well before the storm arrived.[16] The end result was that hundreds of thousands of residents and tourists were unable to evacuate and remained in the city. Nonetheless, some estimates claimed that 90-92% of the 1.3 million residents of the New Orleans metropolitan region evacuated including 80% of Orleans parish.
I remember seeing on TV hundreds of school buses parked and under water, the trains left the city empty and the company running the trains asked the city if they need to evacuate people which was refused by the mayor. The mayor was a criminal in that aspect but we need to be serious, we never had to evacuate before, the storms always lost the strength before hitting land and after Katrina we have mandatory evacuations.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Satellite comparison of Katrina and Patricia.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
It must be very strange to be waiting in the calm before the storm. I can't imagine what that must feel like.
I can tell you that's a strange feeling, I have a river behind my house and we never had a flood but I already used my kayak in front of my house in the street :D on the previous hurricane I was lucky because the original path was through the Delaware river and the surge would be 17 feet in Philadelphia and around my area (New Jersey).

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
An active live stream.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
No idea. It's made landfall now (further down the coast than in the vid)... Can only hope mother nature is feeling kind tonight.

Simbo

Webcams at the heart of it all seem to be down, one above is south of where it is making landfall.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Here's a short clip from closer to the eye.

Supports
Barcelona
Speed down slightly to 190 mph..not sure that would make any difference