Hypocrisy - Pep and ignorance

beedoubleyou

City actually sponsored Pride in Manchester last year and probably will again this year too. Or, at least, they bought up a shitload of lamp post banners around Manchester and stuck on their logo on top of some rainbow stripes.

They've no problem with hypocrisy.

They are encouraged by Manchester City Council too.

Manchester is a city famous for its support of abolishing slavery, works rights, radicalism, women's rights and as a home to a vibrant gay community.

The 'THANK YOU SHEIKH MANSOUR' banner really is an affront to everything Mancunian.

But who cares where the money comes from as long as Aguero keeps banging them in, right?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I respect your opinion mate and as a City fan i understand it, but i think the links between City and Abu Dhabi are a lot closer than you do. Yes it's no doubt brought them negative attention as well, but i'm sure they knew that going in and probably think it's a case of riding it out until it dies down. Look at Qatar they've had way more negative press but the World Cup looks like it is going ahead in 2022.

I can't speak for others but my opinion on this isn't because it's City, i don't particularly dislike City no more than other rivals anyway. If United were bought out by the Saudis i would have similar issues with them using United for PR. I'm not impressed by United's current business dealings with them but thats a lot different than being owned by them.
100%, I know why they bought the club 1000% but I don't think they're that close. You only have to look at the fact the Sheikh attended 1 game in 10 years, he gives zero fecks about City, winning the prem or CL is nothing more than a photo opportunity to him. We all know Qatar bribed the shit out of everyone for the WC and they have got far more negative press than positive on it. I think that entire WC will be a PR disaster.

Oh I'm not accusing you of that, you can tell the ones with a genuine belief and genuine interest as their posts are like yours and quite pleasant to read and easy to discuss without the bitterness seeping though. I like posts like these. I just think calling Pep a pr man for Abu Dhabi is very different, Pep is a Pep man imho, all he's interested in is his legacy. He'd work for Satan himself or Hitler to be no.1, as would 99% of people.

stevoc

100%, I know why they bought the club 1000% but I don't think they're that close. You only have to look at the fact the Sheikh attended 1 game in 10 years, he gives zero fecks about City, winning the prem or CL is nothing more than a photo opportunity to him. We all know Qatar bribed the shit out of everyone for the WC and they have got far more negative press than positive on it. I think that entire WC will be a PR disaster.
No doubt he couldn't give a monkeys, but isn't Mansour really just the front man? Legally he is the owner, but surely he's not been investing all this money himself?

Isn't the whole Etihad campus development an Abu Dhabi project?

Granted i do appreciate Mansour is rich enough personally to fund it all.

Oh I'm not accusing you of that, you can tell the ones with a genuine belief and genuine interest as their posts are like yours and quite pleasant to read and easy to discuss without the bitterness seeping though. I like posts like these. I just think calling Pep a pr man for Abu Dhabi is very different, Pep is a Pep man imho, all he's interested in is his legacy. He'd work for Satan himself or Hitler to be no.1, as would 99% of people.
Didn't think you were mate. I don't mind Pep but you are right he would work for anyone.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It is true that hypocrisy is widely spread and almost nobody can really claim to not be a part of that.

However, what annoys particularly about Guardiola is that he has no excuses. He is no idiot. He is fully aware of what his superiors do unlike probably many players and fans and smart enough to understand that he is being a hypocrite. In fact he's not only a rich intellectual, he's also a very political individual that values freedom over anything according to himself, see exemplarily his criticism of the Spanish handling of Puigdemont's law breaking. He simply decided that the possibility of working for a club which obeys completely to his wishes, has a brillant infrastructure and the money to build a squad after his imagination is worth abandoning his principles. In contrast to many others, he'd have the choice sinc every club in the world would take him. It is not hypocrisy out of need or self-reasoning but vanity. As much as I like him as a coach and love to see his teams, including City, all this has really affected my attitude towards him.

dbs235

Does this apply to all Manchester City employees then? Including the cleaners, stewards, tea lady? Or just Pep because we don't like him?

padr81

Supports
Man City
No doubt he couldn't give a monkeys, but isn't Mansour really just the front man? Legally he is the owner, but surely he's not been investing all this money himself?

Isn't the whole Etihad campus development an Abu Dhabi project?

Granted i do appreciate Mansour is rich enough personally to fund it all.

Didn't think you were mate. I don't mind Pep but you are right he would work for anyone.
If I had to guess I have a feeling I'd say its Khaldoon's project for PR reasons, but Mansour is the money, even in the leaked emails it was "other sources will come from His Royal Highness" as opposed to from the government or the royal family. Khaldoon seems to be the sheikh's right hand man for everything and I have a feeling City is his baby, with Mansour footing the bill. That's why Khaldoon (someone hugely important to the country as chairman).. As far as I'm aware its all coming from Mansour's money.

There have also been links, trying to say Sheikh Issa is the real man behind City, but I think that more came from the McGeehan article trying to create links where there are none. He's also king piece of shit as pieces of shit go, in a part of the world known for HR abuse, he stands out. He's the guy from the torture video. There is nothing tying him to City except that article as far as I'm aware (though as far as I know Issa tends to have more interest in sport than Mansour.) and I hope to God he has nothing to do with City.

OldSchoolManc

It is true that hypocrisy is widely spread and almost nobody can really claim to not be a part of that.

However, what annoys particularly about Guardiola is that he has no excuses. He is no idiot. He is fully aware of what his superiors do unlike probably many players and fans and smart enough to understand that he is being a hypocrite. In fact he's not only a rich intellectual, he's also a very political individual that values freedom over anything according to himself, see exemplarily his criticism of the Spanish handling of Puigdemont's law breaking. He simply decided that the possibility of working for a club which obeys completely to his wishes, has a brillant infrastructure and the money to build a squad after his imagination is worth abandoning his principles. In contrast to many others, he'd have the choice sinc every club in the world would take him. It is not hypocrisy out of need or self-reasoning but vanity. As much as I like him as a coach and love to see his teams, including City, all this has really affected my attitude towards him.
Does this apply to all Manchester City employees then? Including the cleaners, stewards, tea lady? Or just Pep because we don't like him?
If I had to guess I have a feeling I'd say its Khaldoon's project for PR reasons, but Mansour is the money, even in the leaked emails it was "other sources will come from His Royal Highness" as opposed to from the government or the royal family. Khaldoon seems to be the sheikh's right hand man for everything and I have a feeling City is his baby, with Mansour footing the bill. That's why Khaldoon (someone hugely important to the country as chairman).. As far as I'm aware its all coming from Mansour's money.

There have also been links, trying to say Sheikh Issa is the real man behind City, but I think that more came from the McGeehan article trying to create links where there are none. He's also king piece of shit as pieces of shit go, in a part of the world known for HR abuse, he stands out. He's the guy from the torture video. There is nothing tying him to City except that article as far as I'm aware (though as far as I know Issa tends to have more interest in sport than Mansour.) and I hope to God he has nothing to do with City.
Excellent post @Zehner !
Also, @dbs235 , it is a bit different earning a minimum wage when it is the only job available. When you have the pick of any job around the world, for 10 million+ a year, it is a bit different!

@padr81
I totally respect you! I feel you are a bit torn about City’s owners.
It’s tough, as the majority will blindly accept success.

stevoc

I read that McGeehan article last year, haven't seen the video don't want to the description was bad enough. I wouldn't judge a man on things his brother did, i've never heard anything about Mansour so it would be unfair to assume he's as bad. But this sort of stuff is why i would hate United to be owned by the Saudis.

padr81

Supports
Man City
@padr81
I totally respect you! I feel you are a bit torn about City’s owners.
It’s tough, as the majority will blindly accept success.
I wouldn't say torn, I just accept them for what they are, I won't whitewash them nor do I accept some stuff I disagree with. Great owners for City (in a business and financial sense, we could do without the HR drama), far from the most progressive people in the world.

Flytan

There's a vast difference between the owners of most football clubs and the owners of City, in that City's owners are the rulers of a country that executes LGBT people.
Yes and that should fall on criticism of City's owners. Not the manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Personally, I've changed my opinion about his ability as a football manager, I thought he isn't that good when he was at Bayern and that he needed his comfort zone and Messi at Barcelona to work, so I'll admit now that he is an excellent manager, probably the best in game.

However, how weird this guy is, anyone else feel the same? I watched his interview after the Chelsea game, and some other short clips, and all those interviews from his first season at City, I don't think any sane person would sound like that. If he was in charge of our team, he would probably go completely nuts by now. I wonder how long will he stay in the game, because I think he might lose it mentally if he fails with some team.

Also, what's with his obsession with that same shirt style during every game? :lol:

Needham

Personally, I've changed my opinion about his ability as a football manager, I thought he isn't that good when he was at Bayern and that he needed his comfort zone and Messi at Barcelona to work, so I'll admit now that he is an excellent manager, probably the best in game.

However, how weird this guy is, anyone else feel the same? I watched his interview after the Chelsea game, and some other short clips, and all those interviews from his first season at City, I don't think any sane person would sound like that. If he was in charge of our team, he would probably go completely nuts by now. I wonder how long will he stay in the game, because I think he might lose it mentally if he fails with some team.

Also, what's with his obsession with that same shirt style during every game? :lol:
This post still brings me chills everytime I read it makes the hair on the back of my neck stands up!