Hypothetically, if we actually went for major changes to the squad which players would you desperately like to retain?

AndySmith1990

Greenwood, Sancho, and Bruno.

Maybe McTominay as a squad player too.

Only reason I left out De Gea is I think we need a modern sweeper keeper than than a limited shot stopper.

Rest of them I'd be happy to see the back of.

Deery

Dreary
DeGea
Henderson

Wan Bissaka
Lindelof
Varane
Dalot

McTominay
Fred
Bruno

Greenwood
Ronaldo

That’s probably about it, god that was quite telling actually thought I’d choose more than that..

sparx99

I cant understand so many people would keep shaw. Hes had 1.5 good seasons in 7. He never looks fully fit and always has a mistake in him.

Hed be one of the first out the door for me.
I mean it’s recency bias. A lot thought Telles would be 1st choice when he came in. The fact that Shaws best season was last year and culminated in being the best FB at the Euros has earnt him a bit of time. But that goodwill has faded quickly with his shocking season this year.

lilcurt

De Gea
Greenwood
McTominay (squad player)
Varane
Lindelof (squad player)
Bruno
Dalot
Sancho
Amad

An then keep the youth prospects of course.

Bestietom

Greenwood
Sancho
Elanga
Amad
De Gea
Mejbri
Shoretire
Shaw
Varane

All these youngsters must feel so low now, with these players with their big ego's shouting and bawling at their every wrong move. They need lots of encouragement atm and won't get it from this lot.
We need to bring in a few players this window to get this team/club back on track.
By this I mean 3 players who want to play for the badge and will improve the team. 2 Midfielders and a forward.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
'Desperately', none. Realistically I'd keep.

Regular starters

Maguire
Varane
Greenwood
Bruno

Squad

Shaw
Fred
McTominay
Sancho
+ some of the youth

We're miles off.

sancho1983

Greenwood and Fernandes. Varane if he can stay fit. De Gea probably too. Couldn't give a toss about the rest of them

CloneMC16

Greenwood is the only player I'd be very upset if he left. He should be the future of this club. My hopes for him are huge.

On a lesser level, I would like to retain: Shaw, Lindelof, Varane, Fred, Bruno, and Sancho. I like these players and think they can all offer something. Lindelof and Fred, probably from the bench. A bunch of the others have either said they want to leave, aren't really that good, or just likely cause problems.

De Gea doesn't fit into the reasonings above, but I think we could sign a more modern keeper. He's a good player, and has served the club well, but he could be replaced with someone that offers more.

I would also keep any youth players that have barely played for the first team.

Chappie1984

De Gea
Henderson

Varane
Shaw
Lindelof
Dalot
Telles

VDB
Bruno

Rashford
Greenwood
Sancho
Amad
Elanga

The rest can piss off.

agree with most apart from 2, Henderson is 50 /50 in my eyes he is not at de geas level so is he happy to not be first choice or will he chuck out his toys if not,If he will is happy currently being no 2 then he can stay if not go
also Rashford needs to shake off whatever is his issue,For years now he has done bits but never consistent so does he need a new challenge elsewhere if so he can go or is it simply he needs to focus on football and cut out the external stuff and if this is the case and he wants to get his head down he can stay

RedAlert27

The only one I'd be desperate to retain would be Bruno.

The rest I believe aren't good enough to make us challenge for a title. Left out Ronaldo and Cavani due to their age. Still early days for Sancho and Varane. Should cash in on Rashford before his value drops.

OmarUnited4ever

The ones I want the club to keep are: -

DDG
Greenwood
Sancho
Bruno
Varane
Lindelof
Shaw
Dalot
Telles
McTominay
Fred
Rashford*
Maguire*
Ronaldo**
Cavani**

The list above is a mix starting lineup quality plus squad option.

For Rashford & Maguire, I am just holding hope that they improve and pick up form, but my patience for them is running thin. For Ronaldo & Cavani, they can be useful for the short term, Cavani is leaving in the summer but he will be useful for the 2nd part of the season, while Ronaldo has another year, but I hope his role is squad option next year and a quality Striker is brought in this summer to lead the line.

Below Players should leave in Jan if possible and be replaced in the summer: -

Matic - not good enough
Martial - not good enough
Mata - not good enough/contract expiring
Lingard - not good enough/contract expiring
AWB - not good enough
VdB - wants to leave
Pogba - wants to leave
Henderson - wants to leave
Jones - not good enough/prone to injuries.
Bailly - not good enough/prone to injuries.
Tuanzebe - not good enough/can be sold for a decent fee
Chong - not good enough/can be sold for a decent fee
Garner - not good enough/can be sold for a decent fee

Young players that should go on Loan: this Winter

Mengi - Gone already
Amad
Hannibal
Elanga

These four, plus Laird & Galbraith I think got a potential, but they need minutes & game time to develop further, and if not with the 1st team, then should go somewhere else

Roboc7

I’m open to anyone leaving really, there’s no one who I think would be that difficult to replace.

It would be a shame if likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho don’t fulfill their potential but I’m sceptical any of them will.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’m open to anyone leaving really, there’s no one who I think would be that difficult to replace.

It would be a shame if likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho don’t fulfill their potential but I’m sceptical any of them will.
Rashford probably has hit his potential hasn't he?

Scored 100 or so goals for United by 24. Loads of England caps, regular at Manchester United.
No-one would have predicted that when he broke through.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why would so many be "desperate" to keep Ronaldo?

My list would be short: Greenwood, Sancho, DDG, Bruno and Varane. At a stretch Rashford, because I know his quality (& his love for the club) but he'll need to rediscover that form.

Green Yellow Red

Apart from Greenwood, Sancho and De Gea the whole squad can be sold and start from zero. We've had dead weights in the squad for years. I would be happy to carry their bands to the airport. The club needs a massive clear out and a real reset needs to happen.

romufc

Id Keep Greenwood, Sancho and Bruno only. The rest can all leave if they want. Varane could stay, he hasn't been in the team much and is a new signing, will give him benefit of the doubt like Sancho.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Greenwood, and even he's stagnated. I've a lot of doubts about his long term future that I didn't 2 years ago.

RUCK4444

I'd be happy to sell almost the entire squad of utility players and concentrate solely on young talent, a bit like Dortmund have done. Go that route.

We have the means to retain that young talent with bigger wages once they've earnt it. A bit like Ole started to do with the likes of Amad.

Retain the players that are 100% committed to the club and concentrate 100% on young talent for the next 2 - 3 years.

Lentwood

Definitely Keep | Henderson, Heaton, Maguire, Shaw, Telles, AWB, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Fernandes, Greenwood, DvdB, Lingard,

Definitely Leave | De Gea, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Pogba, Bailly, Jones, Matic, Mata, Pereira

Borderline | Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Tuanzebe

Promoted Youth | Amad, Mejbri, Garner, Menghi, Elanga

In getting rid of those 10 players, I save a staggering £2.25m every week in wages, which amounts to £117m per annum. I'd then reset, and make it clear that from now on, nobody earns more than the captain. Long service and commitment to Manchester United counts for more than reputation. New signings come in, at best, on a mid-level salary, and have to earn the right to a top wage with their performances and through their behaviour and attitude on and off the field.

The players I have definitely kept are on what I consider to be reasonable salaries and have all demonstrated to me they have the commitment at least, if not always elite footballing ability. Again, there not always players I rate that highly, but this is a clear-out and a reset, and no ego's will be tolerated.

The players on the 'borderline' pile are players I would like to keep, but am unconvinced their performances or status merit their salaries. So a serious conversation would have to be had with each of them, in that respect. Perhaps Rashford not so much, but certainly Sancho.

KingCavani

Definitely Keep | Henderson, Heaton, Maguire, Shaw, Telles, AWB, Dalot, Lindelof, McTominay, Fred, Fernandes, Greenwood, DvdB, Lingard,

Definitely Leave | De Gea, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Pogba, Bailly, Jones, Matic, Mata, Pereira

Borderline | Varane, Rashford, Sancho, Tuanzebe

Promoted Youth | Amad, Mejbri, Garner, Menghi, Elanga
If we did this I would jump off a bridge. Brexit FC to the max. Jesus.

justsomebloke

Hmmm....it obviously depends on what style and formation we would be heading into, but generally (and not necessarily desperately):

Bruno, obviously
Greenwood
Rashford
Sancho
Fred and McTominay, although not desperately, and only as squad players
Shaw, probably
Varane. And though it's hard to say it right now, Maguire.
Amad (no real reason to ditch him).

Didn't consider the ones with expiring contracts.

Olecurls99

Keep:
De Gea - Showing old form
Henderson - Good backup and potential replacement
Dalot- Showed he can be a really good attacking full back and is still young
Bissaka - Good backup but only as a backup
Shaw - He's in terrible form all season but can be the best again
Telles - Decent backup
Maguire - Can be one of the best centre backs again and has 4.5 years left so no brainer
Lindelof - Top backup
Varane - Top class
Tuanzebe - Serious ability
Fred - Great attitude and a good rotation option
Mctominay - Same as Fred
Donny - Give the man a bloody chance in midfield
Bruno - Out of form but has to be given a chance to get it back
Rashford - As above. Whether its attitude or injury he has to turn it around. If he doesn't improve, try and sell him but there won't be many takers.
Sancho - Has to be given time to adapt
Greenwood - Our biggest talent

Promote
Hannibal - Looks a real prospect
Amad - Great ability on the ball. We need a bit of that
Elanga and Pellistri - I'd rather try these lads then persist with fellas who are past it and aren't getting any better. If they're not up to it, ship em.

Get rid
Ronaldo - Let him go to America. Should never have went back.
Pogba - He hasn't been all bad but his attitude stinks. Let him go with his agent
Lingard - Raiola clear out. Hurray
Bailly - Decent but we don't need 6 centre backs
Jones - As above
Matic - Times up for old man Matic
Mata - As above
Cavani - If he wants to go, let him

KingCavani

There's not a single one of them I'd lose sleep over if they left. No one is indispensable. I'd tier them in this way:

Try To Keep
Bruno
Varane
Greenwood

Content To Keep
McTominay
Fred
Lindelof
Sancho
Maguire
Diallo

Either/Or
De Gea/Henderson
Shaw/Telles

Can Leave
Ronaldo
Cavani
AWB
Bailly
Dalot
Rashford
Matic
van de Beek

Get Out By Any Means
Martial
Pogba
Lingard
Mata
Jones

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I’d love Mcginn at United. Exactly the type of player we need. But I’m not calling for a world class pogba to go when I’m seeing Mctominay stink the place out for 35 games a season.
He's a player I can see ending up at Liverpool.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dave
Dalot
Shaw
Telles
Lindelof
Varane
Bailly
Bruno
Vdb
Sancho
Greenwood
Pogba( what can i say, i want him to stay)

Others can go

frostbite

I thought we had a great squad and we only needed a DMC. Now people say we need a total rebuild? Again?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
DDG - he is back in his good form, no reason to let him go

Varane - still one of best CB around

VDB - I rate his passing and build up play, just need a right manager and setup

Sancho - although he is having a very
disappointing season so far, I still have faith in him

Bruno - been in very poor form lately, still think he could turn it around and become main man for us.

Greenwood - he is our future

Ronaldo - he is old and hardly press, but he still scores goals. And I don’t think we could get Haaland anyway. We need proven goalscorer and match winner in our team, Greenwood is still too young/inconsistence to do it on regular basis

Ixion

I thought we had a great squad and we only needed a DMC. Now people say we need a total rebuild? Again?
The squad is clearly weak mentally and lots don't have the right attitude, even if on paper they look good enough

RonaldoVII

De Gea

Varane
Lindelof
Maguire

Fred
McTominay
Bruno

Greenwood
Sancho
Amad

Wouldn't be opposed to keeping others but not desperate to.

Zed 101

Henderson
Tuanzebe
Telles
Greenwood
Mc T
Rashford
Bruno
Jones (we may as well keep until the end of his career now, or was that about 5 years ago)

I would want VDB to get a chance under Ten Hag or Poch TBF same for Sancho

The rest can feck orf!
DDG - great a stopping "some shots" he is a greatest saves compilation with none of the other stuff that is needed to make a keeper great, part of the reason our defence is so shaky is De Gea having zero presence in the area.
Lindelof - championship level
Varane/Bailey - can be great but injury prone and also have howlers
Maguire - I think he must have a non-footballing identical twin that has subbed in for him this season, whilst he sits in a Greek prison cell
Shaw - fed up of his whining and excuses - shows what he can do for England rarely for Utd.... some of that is motivation
AWB - used to be you could forgive his awful attacking because of his awesome defensive interventions, seems now he cannot defend either
Fred - I like Fred, but he is way too inconsistent
Matic - past it
Mata - Past it
Martial - now employed as a living statue (suits skill set)
Pogba - he can just %$$^ off regardless
Ronaldo - think his presence has significantly hampered the mood of the dressing room and the performances
Cavani - would love him to stay but as he wants to go he can do one
Lingard - see Cavani

Also Phelan and Fletcher can feck off, why is the supposed "technical director" on the sidelines every match

Last edited:

Godfather

DDG, Varane, Lindelöf, Shaw, Fred, Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood, Diallo. Not fussed about the rest

RepardReece

De Gea - Been an amazing servant for the club, seems to be back to a good version of himself this year too
Varane - The guy is clearly class, makes Maguire look like a clown
Bruno - even though he's a whiny bugger, he can be the most effective player on the pitch providing he gets the right instructions.

Not Desperate to but would keep:
Telles
Lindelof
Cavani - I'd love to keep this guy but he's ageing and does want to move back with his family. Also many injury problems
Amad - need to see more of him

Not saying a single English player for a reason, don't want them. Only exception I'd give is Sancho currently, still think he can up his game in time. I really don't think these English players have the right attitude anymore though

Firestorm

Ronaldo- class
Cavani- also class !
Greenwood-long term promise
De Gea- obviously
McTominey- underrated workhorse
Varane- does a job
Bruno - great attitude
Shaw- still puts a shift in

thats it …the rest can all go !

Last edited: