I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its ridiculous. My mate owns a bar in Thailand and gets every game (EVERY GAME) for a fraction of what Sky charge - I cancelled sky 2 months ago out of principle and I don't miss it. I get phones calls and letters from them every other day offering me lower and lower prices to come back. If it stays at this rate in 3 months time they will be paying me to have it.

As with most things, people power is the only way to change the state of football in the UK. If we all stop paying for it things will change.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its ridiculous. My mate owns a bar in Thailand and gets every game (EVERY GAME) for a fraction of what Sky charge - I cancelled sky 2 months ago out of principle and I don't miss it. I get phones calls and letters from them every other day offering me lower and lower prices to come back. If it stays at this rate in 3 months time they will be paying me to have it.

As with most things, people power is the only way to change the state of football in the UK. If we all stop paying for it things will change.
I pay a slightly lower price than normal, about 16 months left at that price, but it was not HD, anyway now it is, but they have charged me an extra £2 a month to get that. They should be giving me HD to keep me, not charging me even more, for no F.A. Cup, no CL, no EL, no La Liga. They don't even show the Dutch league any longer. They will shoot themselves in the foot at this rate. For that I want the top games every week, I know they have to show the other teams as well, but it really isn't good enough. I am not that interested in the Chinese League, in fact I have NO interest in the Chinese League, or the MLS, Rooney being there added slight interest. It is an overprice shoddy product.

JMack1234

I don't agree with people on here when it comes to the 3pm kick off rule but Sky are certainly in trouble. The media landscape is changing everywhere and of course the way we watch football will change with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Right. That’s it. I’m cancelling too. Been stewing about doing it for ages. That’s me pushed over the edge now. Mental to keep paying for football when I don’t even enjoy watching my own team play any more.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Football TV coverage in England is a massive scam. They provide nothing of value and the only reason people pay is because of a monopoly/duopoly. There's also huge amounts of corruption/nepotism, as well as a lack of innovation. You know they are doing a bad job when half the audience would prefer the pundits to go away and the commentary to be off.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Gah. I’m such a pushover. Yer man on the phone knocked 45 quid off my bill to keep Sky Sports and I agreed. Like a sucker :(
A month? That's pretty good tbf.

Although you could look at it that even without Sky Sports you can generally knock a good bit off the bill when you renew.

Massive Spanner

I was paying 109 per month (:eek:) but he reduced it to 64. Still a ludicrous sum of money to spend in order to have your weekends repeatedly ruined.
Not too bad. My VM is 80 a month right now with no extra subs.

Saying that I usually ring them every time I'm close to renewal and tell them I'm leaving to join Sky and then end up getting it half price for 10 months or something. Can't even get Sky in my apartment bloc. VM are literally all that's available.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not too bad. My VM is 80 a month right now with no extra subs.

Saying that I usually ring them every time I'm close to renewal and tell them I'm leaving to join Sky and then end up getting it half price for 10 months or something. Can't even get Sky in my apartment bloc. VM are literally all that's available.
Oh man. Sympathies. My inlaws have VM. The UI on their box is a pig to use!

Massive Spanner

Oh man. Sympathies. My inlaws have VM. The UI on their box is a pig to use!
it is shocking, yeah, but their internet is brilliant and i mostly use the internet anyway. I only keep the TV because they literally keep giving me it for pittance every time I say I'm cancelling and because my stupid bitch girlfriend wants to watch reality tv

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
it is shocking, yeah, but their internet is brilliant and i mostly use the internet anyway. I only keep the TV because they literally keep giving me it for pittance every time I say I'm cancelling and because my stupid bitch girlfriend wants to watch reality tv
:lol:

I can’t cut the tie completely for similar reasons. My stupid kids are addicted to Amazing World of Gumball (so am I tbf)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Actually this does usually work for me in regards to Sky Sports monthly pass.

I usually get offered £12.99 or £16.99 for a months pass.

Sometimes they'll just email me asking if I'd like to renew subscription for £20 for 3 months...
13 a month is very good value. Over a premier league season, which is about ten months, that would be 130 euros. That is what i wish it was all the time. It is affordable.

In ireland though it is a tenner for a day pass, which is a rip off.

MoXoM

13 a month is very good value. Over a premier league season, which is about ten months, that would be 130 euros. That is what i wish it was all the time. It is affordable.

In ireland though it is a tenner for a day pass, which is a rip off.
It is great value - shame it is only for a month though.

NowTV did offer Sky Sports as a one-off cost of £179 at the start of the season for 10 months (equivalent to £17.90 a month) but I didn't have the funds at the time to take up the offer...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Gah. I’m such a pushover. Yer man on the phone knocked 45 quid off my bill to keep Sky Sports and I agreed. Like a sucker :(
The thing I miss most about Sky is the planner, and being able to pause the TV. I've got Netflix and Amazon so more content than I'll ever get time to watch. I was bummed about missing the Mosconi Cup in a couple of weeks but now I'm going to it anyway so its all good.

Glaswegian

I don't have Sky or BT, I stream from other places :nervous:

I just don't see the point in paying for something when I'm only interested in United games and I won't get all of them. I'd buy MUTV if they showed the games.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It is great value - shame it is only for a month though.

NowTV did offer Sky Sports as a one-off cost of £179 at the start of the season for 10 months (equivalent to £17.90 a month) but I didn't have the funds at the time to take up the offer...
That would be the ideal offer. I currently get sky sports through the ps3 using my fathers account. He is paying between sky and bt, about 1000 a year, which i would never dream of paying and i have the money to do it, i just think it is a complete rip off.

I will keep an eye on nowtv. If i could get sky and bt using now tv for 400 a year given the new deal between the two, that would be good.

Bola

The problem with NOWTV is that the website fecks up all the time. Almost every game I get an error code signing in despite using different machines and browsers. When it's easier to to steam illegally, it's a fecking shite service.
And it regularly 'drops' to below standard definition. When I watch films or box sets, it goes all blurry for 30secs - happens very 15 mins or so*

*on different devices and in different locations, so unlikely to be a fault on my end

PoTMS

Anyone know where I can get a cheap IPTV subscription? I've heard eBay is the place to go for it but there's so many different sellers, it's hard to choose one.

M16Red

Anyone know where I can get a cheap IPTV subscription? I've heard eBay is the place to go for it but there's so many different sellers, it's hard to choose one.
Ebay. Hhhmm.. look the world has changed you dont need a satellite to get all the games, you just need a point in the right direction.

Some of the costs in the post above are crazy, Ive not had sky in 15 years and been able to watch to every game in the last 7 ish years. IM me if you a point in the right direction.

beedoubleyou

And it regularly 'drops' to below standard definition. When I watch films or box sets, it goes all blurry for 30secs - happens very 15 mins or so*

*on different devices and in different locations, so unlikely to be a fault on my end
Yep. Better quality at illegal sites.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Now tv was available for 179 pounds for 9 months over black Friday but I am glad that I didn't go for it . Every single big team in Europe is playing today . Sky sports has Rotherham vs Shef United and Brentford Vs Middlesbrough today . Oh I also get Arsenal Bournemouth,Wolves Huddersfield and Burnley Newcastle next 2 weeks . Madness

fezzerUTD

Now tv was available for 179 pounds for 9 months over black Friday but I am glad that I didn't go for it . Every single big team in Europe is playing today . Sky sports has Rotherham vs Shef United and Brentford Vs Middlesbrough today . Oh I also get Arsenal Bournemouth,Wolves Huddersfield and Burnley Newcastle next 2 weeks . Madness
Shambles of a lineup for today, im so glad i dont pay (much) for sky.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
The thing about it, sky would be keeping a solid eye on how we are doing (by we i mean united) because united are a huge portion of the premier league. Hypothetically, if united were relegated, sky would be in trouble. they would see a drop off in interest.

I remember reading an article after the Moyes season and basically the premier league said they had not made as much money because united had done bad. I do not mean to spite city and spurs, but they mean nothing to the premier league. The pl survived before them and would survive without them. It is united liverpool, arsenal and maybe chelsea who matter.
Seriously?! Wtf no none else can get a look in, build a fan base, become as big? Just keep the same old established teams at the forefront? That's hopefully dissapearing nowadays

fezzerUTD

Good, the SkyBet is far more interesting than the Premier League.

Better than Man City v Cannon Fodder. Or Cardiff v Wolves.
Fair point. Might try get myself through a match.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Not defending Sky totally as they have many faults but they are restricted in what they can show by contract limitations.
Each team has to be shown a certain number of times so they tend to feature bottom half teams more in the first half of the season when those teams still have some aspirations and squad depth.
Brighton v Newcastle in April would be a bit of a turkey if shown
Also, in the week before CL European matches the participants can't play on Sundays I think.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The thing that really winds me up is not that I'm paying nearly £100 a month, it's that I'm paying nearly £100 a month and still have to sit through a ton of adverts.

Of the 15 min halftime break, how much of that is replay/analysis and how much is adverts?

Judas

Open to offers
I feel like the analysis portion of the halftime break has got even short over the last few years. Genuinely feel like its about 4-5 at the very most, and the rest is adverts.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Has anyone signed up to Eleven Sports yet? If so, what's it like?

I already have an Amazon Fire stick with Kodi installed so I can watch many matches online that way, but can someone with IPTV send me a pm on how to get it; or on which is the best/most reliable provider? Cheers.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
IPTV costs me £60 a year and I’ve had it two years. Sky (or BT) will never get another penny from me.
I went to IPTV three years ago. No regrets at all !
$150.00 a year and I get all the games & that include Sky, BT, TSN and Sportsnet.
No going back for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.