I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoXoM

I recently switched to BT Broadband for £29 a month.

My package includes Fibre Broadband and BT Sports.

I just stream from the BT Sports App to my TV and it works great.

For Sky Sports I got myself a NOW TV Streaming stick.

The streaming stick cost around £19 and you can purchase different SKY Passes like Entertainment (Sky One, Atlantic etc) and Sports Pass which gives you access to 10 Sky Sports channels.

You can purchase a Sky Sports Day Pass, Week Pass or Month pass.

If you purchase the Pass directly from NOW TV it can be costly (£33 for month pass) but Argos and CurrysPCWorld sell them for £25.

When you sign up and apply your Voucher code just make sure you cancel your Pass so that you don't get automatically charged £33 the following month.

What is really good is that when you cancel your Pass and give the reason that it is too expensive they will normally offer you a good deal to stay like £20 for 3 months, £12.99 for a month etc.

I was just offered and signed up to one month for £16.99 a couple of days ago.

Just remember to cancel the Pass so you don't get charged £33...

Reactions: golden_blunder

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
First off I have a subscription to BT Sports with VM and the 4k coverage of Premier League and CL games is excellent. I also have an iptv package but it started to go blank when the footy is on for the 3pm games. Looked in to it on various forums and groups and it turns out ISP's are clamping down on it and blocking them.
That was the chance i was not willing to take. It could be shut down at any time. Having said that something new always pops up to replace it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

The streaming stick cost around £19 and you can purchase different SKY Passes like Entertainment (Sky One, Atlantic etc) and Sports Pass which gives you access to 10 Sky Sports channels.

If you purchase the Pass directly from NOW TV it can be costly (£33 for month pass) but Argos and CurrysPCWorld sell them for £25.

When you sign up and apply your Voucher code just make sure you cancel your Pass so that you don't get automatically charged £33 the following month.

What is really good is that when you cancel your Pass and give the reason that it is too expensive they will normally offer you a good deal to stay like £20 for 3 months, £12.99 for a month etc.

I think now tv is the best bet. I would only get a day pass when united are shown. That would be about 300 a year i would say. Which is affordable,

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I have the now tv subscription and I got it at an offer where the first three months were 20 pounds each , now it's 33 pounds and even though I like it because of NFL I am thinking of stopping it because there is very little football on it and NFL is easily available on streams

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Home of football eh? All sky’s intrested in is English crap, lost the ‘champions’ league, Spanish, they’re no interested in the premier league by the coverage they give us, Bt no much better they also put more into the English premier league than ours

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I have the now tv subscription and I got it at an offer where the first three months were 20 pounds each , now it's 33 pounds and even though I like it because of NFL I am thinking of stopping it because there is very little football on it and NFL is easily available on streams
Id cancel it during the summer months when there is no PL.

A day pass is ten euro in ireland. Id say they show united 28 times a season. So that would be 280 a year on top of bt which is 270 a year. Which is manageable.

I only want to see united as well. I would miss out on the big matches but i would just go to the pub to watch them i suppose.

Anyhow BT will now be available under a sky subcription from next year (At least that is what i understand). If you could get them both through now tv for 400 a year, that would be good value.

It is worth mentioning that the irish government spends a fortune getting sky sports for inmates in the irish prison system. Must be a great little life for the prisoners in mount joy.

Guy Incognito

Cancelled years ago. I used to cancel during the summer months which they gave a discount for.

It's not worth the money, especially with little to no value. Even when they lose rights the prices still go up.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

Good summary. I’ve been researching options and this does seem like the best value option to get all the football legally :)

If you don’t want to move your broadband to BT, another option is to move your mobile phone subscription to BT Mobile and pay a top-up for BT Sports App. You’d probably pay ~£20 for your SIM only package with 10GB data per month and get access to BT Sports via their app.

The only downside I could see was that BT Mobile’s overseas roaming outside the EU is poor. You can’t go to places like the USA and various Asian countries and use your minutes and data allowance for no extra cost (Three are very good for this). They don’t even have an add on to give you temporary data to use overseas, so you’ll pay £5 per meg of data :lol:

Really irritates me that I can’t just get Sky Sports and nothing else with my Sky TV sub. You’ve got to get the “basic entertainment package” before you can get anything else and if you want HD well that means you need the full entertainment package, which I never actually watch, for more ££. Plus they tie you into 18 month contracts every time you change anything. Piss off :mad:

Hughie77

Haven't had it for years now, get the games one way or another on line. I got bt only because I got there net.comes in pack. Get someone's sky go I'd and share price is another option, but you got to trust them family etc. I do it with my brother.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
When I was recently given Sky Sports by Virgin as part of my package and at no extra cost I was quite pleased.

However, the football channels are pretty average at best and now we get lots of very average Championship games.

I watch the odd PL game but do find the F1 coverage good.

P0GBA

Why are they only showing one game on a Sunday now? Why not have the City game an hour earlier and show both games?

JoaquinJoaquin

First off I have a subscription to BT Sports with VM and the 4k coverage of Premier League and CL games is excellent. I also have an iptv package but it started to go blank when the footy is on for the 3pm games. Looked in to it on various forums and groups and it turns out ISP's are clamping down on it and blocking them.
Or you can just buy a vpn and you probably won't get that problem.

RedDevilUnited369

The problem I have is BTsports got a little extra ‘behind the scenes’ footage. Nothing major but SS costs more. So I expect the same or more.

I’m loyal to Sky. And they had better get CL back in the near future.

I respect BTsports hustle.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Incredible price compared to over here. Are there separate providers (ala Sky and BT) where coverage is split across them meaning you need more than one subscription to see all available games?
Yes you also need Canal+ for the 3 first choice L1 games every week. It costs quite a bit over €40 if you want to have everything (there are many commercial offers).

JK-27

The way UK fans are forced to watch football is a joke.

3pm kick-offs originally weren't allowed on TV in the UK because the FA felt it could be a detriment to fans attending the games live (which is rubbish). It's also an outdated concept because at the same time, a vast majority of games are no longer played at 3pm to accommodate TV schedules. And attendance figures at the grounds haven't fallen for games played at 12.30pm, 2pm, 4pm, or the new 7.45pm Saturday fixtures, so why still protect the 3pm fixtures? It's nonsense.

Also, I am a Utd fan, I don't want to watch Huddersfield vs Fulham, yet Sky only show select Utd games so the actual cost per Utd game I actually watch on Sky is extortionate. And if I want to watch more Utd games I have to pay an extra £30 on top per month to get BT? If you want Sky Sports and BT Sport to watch a few Utd games you're spending over £50 a month. It's criminal.

In the US, in the NBA you're allowed to buy packages just for the teams you want to watch, not general packages. The technology is there to allow this to happen, yet because of the money Sky and BT pay, we're not allowed such options in the UK. Ofcom really should be looking in to it because it's anti-competitive.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A netflix style service just has to come in. That is the way tv is going.

Boycott

Sky have won the rights to Scottish football from 2020/21.

Shame that. It's actually a very fun league to watch and BT's coverage have done a great job in the last few years with Sutton, Craigan, McCoist etc.

beedoubleyou

The problem with NOWTV is that the website fecks up all the time. Almost every game I get an error code signing in despite using different machines and browsers. When it's easier to to steam illegally, it's a fecking shite service.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
A netflix style service just has to come in. That is the way tv is going.
Not until this Sky/BT bubble bursts. I'm just hoping it happens sooner rather than later.

CA1

Not until this Sky/BT bubble bursts. I'm just hoping it happens sooner rather than later.
The only way that happens is if people stop paying for these services.

I can't believe it's not happened already. SKY/BT are taking the piss. They're selling a worse product and they're still charging ridiculous money in a dinosaur system.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
The only way that happens is if people stop paying for these services.

I can't believe it's not happened already. SKY/BT are taking the piss. They're selling a worse product and they're still charging ridiculous money in a dinosaur system.
It's a combination of the two that'll force a change in circumstances. Continuously ridiculous numbers been thrown around for PL/CL football which puts the broadcasters at risk, followed by a price hike which pisses off consumers who are paying more than 3x as much than they were just 10 years ago for no more football than they were getting then, which makes them stop paying. That sort of bubble burst is exactly what football needs.

(Well, it's exactly what we as football fans need).

No-one will convince me that watching less PL matches from Sky is worth like 10x more than Eleven Sports which has, as far as I know, all La Liga & Serie A matches for £60 a YEAR.

tomaldinho1

I've got BT and then use Now TV day passes if there's a big game on Sky and I can't be bothered to find a stream.

Good trick for Now TV (although sadly this doesn't affect the Sports side) is if you try to quit, they ask 'are you sure' and if you say yes, they ask why. Choose option about pricing and they give you a discount. Sneaky buggers, clearly just making us hugely overpay.

Am just waiting for the day Amazon gobbles up the entire PL and it's just added to Prime, streaming for all games and the ability to turn ads/pundits on and off. Pricing will be obscene but I'd happily pay £50 a month (which I think is high but reasonable) if I knew all games would be on that channel.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I've got BT and then use Now TV day passes if there's a big game on Sky and I can't be bothered to find a stream.

Good trick for Now TV (although sadly this doesn't affect the Sports side) is if you try to quit, they ask 'are you sure' and if you say yes, they ask why. Choose option about pricing and they give you a discount. Sneaky buggers, clearly just making us hugely overpay.

Am just waiting for the day Amazon gobbles up the entire PL and it's just added to Prime, streaming for all games and the ability to turn ads/pundits on and off. Pricing will be obscene but I'd happily pay £50 a month (which I think is high but reasonable) if I knew all games would be on that channel.
I could do it if it were 30 a month which is 360 a year. Could probably just about do 50 a month.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Wouldn't that mean the Premier League bubble, including United, also bursting?
Maybe, but what's the harm? It's not like we're as good as the value of our league suggests. We've far from great players picking up wages that the starters of Bayern & Juve would kill to be getting, so I'd much rather them be paid less & us be charged less than things continue how they are currently.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The problem I have is BTsports got a little extra ‘behind the scenes’ footage. Nothing major but SS costs more. So I expect the same or more.

I’m loyal to Sky. And they had better get CL back in the near future.

I respect BTsports hustle.
This I don't understand. Blind loyalty to a huge, greedy corporation just keeps their prices up.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The problem with NOWTV is that the website fecks up all the time. Almost every game I get an error code signing in despite using different machines and browsers. When it's easier to to steam illegally, it's a fecking shite service.
Very expensive as well. If it were cheaper say 5 euro for a day pass or twenty for a month pass i would consider.

fezzerUTD

The premier league have there own pundits etc on every game, they have a channel called premier league tv, sportsnet in canada use them a lot. hopefully amazon would use the in house pundits like that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Exactly, why be loyal? They give you feck all back apart from losing more and more football and putting the prices up.
The thing about it, sky would be keeping a solid eye on how we are doing (by we i mean united) because united are a huge portion of the premier league. Hypothetically, if united were relegated, sky would be in trouble. they would see a drop off in interest.

I remember reading an article after the Moyes season and basically the premier league said they had not made as much money because united had done bad. I do not mean to spite city and spurs, but they mean nothing to the premier league. The pl survived before them and would survive without them. It is united liverpool, arsenal and maybe chelsea who matter.

tomaldinho1

The premier league have there own pundits etc on every game, they have a channel called premier league tv, sportsnet in canada use them a lot. hopefully amazon would use the in house pundits like that.
Sounds better than our setup

Should have choices of pundits and see who gets the most viewers to decide who they use. Sutton would be dead last for sure. Making it all more interactive would be a great way to make it more immersive.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Exactly, why be loyal? They give you feck all back apart from losing more and more football and putting the prices up.
The irony being - it's our loyalty to the game that is exploited by the likes of Sky. I wouldn't give them a penny of my own money - they've had it good enough for long enough.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
They say if 3pm matches are shown on TV, no one would go to the stadium to watch.
It isn't the PL clubs they are worried about regarding the 3pm blackout though. It's lower league and non league clubs which will take the hit.

Many non league supporters also support bigger clubs but due to various circumstances attend their local non league club to get their football fix, it's these clubs which will be hit hardest.
My own local club can lose up to 200 on the gate when playing on a CL night for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:

mykelawrence

When I first moved to the US, literally every PL game was on the NBC network, 4 CL games a week were on Fox Sports, who also had full FA and League Cup coverage - it was fantastic, and a lot of the services were free or part of certain packages.

Things have changed now, and you have to pay a premium to stream the 3pm kick off games, have to pay for a lot of CL games, and both Europa and League cup aren't even on regular TV.

I am lucky enough in that my in-laws have a top of the line cable package (they're retired and love sports) so we just use their info to log in to the network apps on our FireStick and watch everything for free.

I used to love the pre and post game stuff, but living in the land of stats and sports shows, I'm pretty bored of hearing another ex pro's opinion that I will see 1000x on social media.

Although I miss Sky Sports purely for the nostalgia (I use Mobdro to watch Soccer Saturday), I do not miss the extortionate prices they charged.

Do ITV still have Champions League coverage?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but when streaming - legally or otherwise - why is there always a 60 to 90-second lag? I've had to tell my mates to wait a couple of minutes before texting me anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoXoM

Actually this does usually work for me in regards to Sky Sports monthly pass.

I usually get offered £12.99 or £16.99 for a months pass.

Sometimes they'll just email me asking if I'd like to renew subscription for £20 for 3 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.