I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
In France I'm paying:
€9.99 / month for RMC Sport - EPL (inc 3pm Saturday) + CL + EL matches + other sports
€13/ month for BeinSports - FA Cup, Carabao Cup + French + German + Italian + Spanish leagues + other sports

Edit: can cancel at any time, no long term contract.
What’s the Ligue 1 coverage like there? All games televised or you get a selection like in the UK?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Incredible price compared to over here. Are there separate providers (ala Sky and BT) where coverage is split across them meaning you need more than one subscription to see all available games?
Yes very cheap compared to the UK. All the English PL games are on RMC Sport as are all the Champions League and Europa League games too, there may be the odd CL or EL that involves a French club that may be on free normal TV (equivalent of BBC or ITV). But each competition is really only broadcast by one provider.

MuFc_1992

Mentioned it a few times on here. In Czech Republic it is pretty good. We have one provider who has the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A all for around 13eur per month. Seperate provider has the Champions League, that is around 7 eur per month.
It's even cheaper here in Australia. You can stream all the Pl, CL and nations league games for 15 AUD which is around 8 pounds. The rights is with a mobile service provider and if you go with their broadband or phone plans than you get it for free and no data charges apply for viewing the content on their mobile plans. They were heavily criticised for some technical issues during the world cup so, I'm worried they won't bid for the rights next time.

Neo_Mufc

Agreed, we got rid of ours this year. Sick and tired of paying what we feel is too much. What are the exact prices for SS and BT together?

I stream. If I'm 30secs behind or it buffers now and then so be it. When the big games come then I might go to a pub otherwise I'm happy with situation.

led_scholes

In ireland, about a 1000 a year. You need a basic sky package to get sky sports which is rubbish. If i could just get sky sports without the basic package that would be about 400 a year for it. Another 250 a year for bt.
Ah ok thanks. Yeah, I can see why people are complaining and cancelling. The amount is ridiculous high.

Parma Dewol

I got rid of Sky a while back and haven't missed it one bit. Can't believe how much it costs these days and the price is made all the more mind-boggling by the fact that it doesn't show all the games and still has advertisements.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by Netflix. When you get used to watching what you want, when you want, with no ads, and at minimal cost, you start to look at traditional broadcasting a bit differently. I often wonder if I should get rid of my TV license, but I keep it just for certain sports; the World Cup, Euros, snooker, Wimbledon etc.

As far as I can tell in Italy I can get all football for 10 euros per month as an add on from my internet provider. I didnt realise it was that cheap, unless ive read it wrong. 35 from Sky including the full package.

Right now I have a couple of great apps I can stream to my TV with no buffering.

Camilo

Well someone has the pay the entirely reasonable wages of our players. The money doesn't come from nowhere. :wenger:

I've always been amazed anyone paid it. Disgusting amounts of money. I still know plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck and have more than 100 a month making its way to Sky. Idiots. And then maybe you add BT, and perhaps Eleven for some European leagues, and then suddenly you've 10% of a low end income going straight back out the door.

£5.99 a month to watch the Italian and Spanish leagues. £100+ a month for the EPL. Batshit.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m getting rid of my virgin media at the end of this month as I’m away for a year. The price I’m paying is ridiculous. I’ll be glad to see the back of it.

Murray3007

the boys that don't have sky in the UK what way do you watch the games ? only got sky at the moment so miss united games on the BT sport and the CL games unless I go to the pub. any info much appreciated

dove

Sky and BT are a bunch of thieves. The only time I used their service is when Pringles had a promotion where you could find NOW TV codes :lol: However the service was so crap (stream quality was a joke, like 144p on Youtube...) I wasn't even bothered to use all the codes I got...

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
If it was only football i was interested in i'd have cancelled my sky years ago as i can watch most games i want by streaming. It's the cricket and golf coverage which keep me a customer and when BT bought the rights to the ashes down under a couple of years ago, i phoned sky to complain and they halved my bill.

Sara125

I currently use a Sky Sports pass on NowTV. The normal price is £33p/m but when I try to cancel my subscription I always cite the reason as ‘I can’t afford it’ and they give me a cheaper price. Works every time.

Trizy

The quality of illegal streams nowadays is perfect HD quality, literally. Why in gods name would you pay for a service that has limited games?

I go onto Reddit Soccer Streams (which is funny considering the size of Reddit, you'd imagine they'd have their shit together with copyright..etc), type in what ever game I want to watch and find a link within 10 seconds to a perfect HD stream. Same with fights and other sports.

Also watched McGregor vs Kahbib, perfect quality, no lag what so ever. = £0.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
the boys that don't have sky in the UK what way do you watch the games ? only got sky at the moment so miss united games on the BT sport and the CL games unless I go to the pub. any info much appreciated
IPTV or go to the pub, IPTV is ok but I've not found a provider yet that broadcasts Sky Sports at 50fps, so I generally use the Canadian streams which I think are 720 but in 50fps but the comms are awful, the best streams are the French ones which are 50fps in 1080p but I don't understand French and hate watching TV with the sound off.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I use acestream, a p2p type of thing. I get the relevant links from r/soccer streams on reddit, the same as someone above. They also have plenty of non acestream, regular web browser links on there too.

Also sometimes use livetv.sx for links. The site is blocked by my ISP but I can access it with VPN. Doesn't need to be a paid one, I just use the Opera web browser with it's in built VPN if I want to go to that site.Not a bad little site, it also has links to highlights, goals and full matches on there later on after they're over.

GuyfromAustria

The cost is indeed ludicrous in the UK.

I’m curious how it compares to what it costs to watch domestic matches in other European countries?

What’s the typical package and cost for watching La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy, Bundesliga in Germany etc?
Germany: You need Sky Bundesliga, I think the full price is € 39,99 at the moment, although there are always discounts, for example today you could get € 19,99 for the first 2 years before paying the full price.
And every sane person cancels their subscription every year, so you can get a lower price offered.
Sky used to show every game, but since 2017/18 Eurosport has the rights to show 40 games or so, including every Friday game. So there's another subsription for € 5,- a month.

Reactions: Ødegaard

drdoityourself

I don't live in England so I can't really comment on the channels in particular.

But I feel like it's becoming harder to keep interest in the league as a whole. The line up for the weekends' matches are poorly set up.
2 or 3 Sundays on this short season there has been only one game. One Sunday served up the stand alone spectacle of Burnley-Cardiff.
The two international breaks haven't helped either.

As the subscription fee rises (70 pounds per month here), I'd like to be able to count on a 3 game Saturday followed by a 2 game Sunday. A Monday game doesn't have to be set in stone.

Here in Iceland the Premier League have cut back on the rights to show games, the broadcaster can only show I think 5 games per weekend.
So sometimes the noon game on a Saturday can not be shown, as they'll reach their quota if the Sunday is packed.
Who does this limit serve? It only pushes subscribers to stream matches, and probably realizing that streaming is easy and one starts to think why bother paying very high subscription fees when you can get more games online.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Here it’s pretty simple. I share a subscription to a streaming service with a couple of friends which shows every CL and every televised PL game. It’s brilliant when I think about it.

RedRover

I'm still happy to pay for it. I couldn't think of anything worse than raking around the internet trying to watch a game on some dodgy stream. Also, they still make a fortune selling it to pubs so its clearly a decent earner.

I have cancelled BT Sport though due to price. I know someone who's wife works in the "Sport" TV arm of BT and said they've massively overestimated the popularity of the CL and it's costing them a fortune. I tend to agree with that, since the group stages are generally a bit of a damp squib. Better in the later rounds but I'm happy to go to the pub the watch those and save the £34 a month (on top of Sky).

I''ve personally got no problem with the 3pm Saturday kick-offs not being allowed. It'd kill football in the lower leagues and eventually, in my opinion, result in even a good number of PL teams struggling to fill their stadiums.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't live in England so I can't really comment on the channels in particular.

But I feel like it's becoming harder to keep interest in the league as a whole. The line up for the weekends' matches are poorly set up.
2 or 3 Sundays on this short season there has been only one game. One Sunday served up the stand alone spectacle of Burnley-Cardiff.
The two international breaks haven't helped either.

As the subscription fee rises (70 pounds per month here), I'd like to be able to count on a 3 game Saturday followed by a 2 game Sunday. A Monday game doesn't have to be set in stone.

Here in Iceland the Premier League have cut back on the rights to show games, the broadcaster can only show I think 5 games per weekend.
So sometimes the noon game on a Saturday can not be shown, as they'll reach their quota if the Sunday is packed.
Who does this limit serve? It only pushes subscribers to stream matches, and probably realizing that streaming is easy and one starts to think why bother paying very high subscription fees when you can get more games online.
United are on Saturday lunchtime on BT, then same channel has Arsenal/Liverpool at teatime, the Sky have decided to give us a Saturday evening game of Wolves/Spurs. Which at least is a good days viewing. I don't mind Chelsea/Palace on the Sunday, but at times I just watch the German football as the PL offering is atrocious.

The offers I have from Sky are not too bad at the moment as they are not on contract, so I could cancel them with no penalties at the moment. It is BT I have a big issue with at the moment as they fool you into extending your contract by saying the cost of the Sport channels are going up if you don't extend. Next time they try that I will probably knock it on the head. Their broadband costs are getting costly as well. Although I cannot complain about the quality of it. I might just get rid of the Sport and knock MUTV off, yet again to saw a little bit of money.

When my Sky offer expires I might just see if they can offer me something else or just knock it down to football only.

fezzerUTD

Im not surprised with the dross they put on nowadays. Sunday 21st was a terrible game Everton vs Palace.

Plus its all a drama for clicks and views now.

Much prefer BT, much more relaxed approach. And only cost me £2 p/m for the online app which is HD.

SolidSnake007

I'm actually happy with Gary and the lads on Match of the Day every Saturday and Sunday. Free to air footie and it's just the right amount of football without overkill. Not having to watch a full match and just get the best bits (think of it like T20 cricket over a full long 4 day test slog! that's the modern consumer)

And for any big games I want to watch live for the drama/theatre aspect.. go down to my local pub and support local business with a good atmosphere :)

Cargsy

I've been with Sky for nearly 10 years and i don't mind paying them the £60 a month I currently am. Just recently got Sky Q in and it's incredible. Add to that the fact it's getting Netflix added to it tomorrow.

I got a discount after they lost UCL rights and wasn't too bothered about La Liga etc but I respect everyone's opinion about Sky but with the use I get out of it £15 a week is justifiable.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Sky and bt have now joined forces, in ireland at least. Come next summer you will get bt if you just have sky, at least that is what i understand of it. Sky will more than likely bump up their subscription though.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I currently use a Sky Sports pass on NowTV. The normal price is £33p/m but when I try to cancel my subscription I always cite the reason as ‘I can’t afford it’ and they give me a cheaper price. Works every time.
That’s not a bad price for just sky sports, much less than what I’m paying for my tv subscription because they make you buy all sorts of other bundles in order to get HD and such. You can’t just pay for sports and nothing else but looks like you can on Now TV.

What’s the steaming quality and reliability like? Can you watch on your phone / as many devices as you want or is it restricted to a certain few devices you register like Sky Go does?

strandty

With the EFL allowing games to be streamed overseas for the last 18 months, they’ve tested the water this season for UK streaming for midweek, as well as Saturday 3pm kick-offs (international weekends only). Seen as a trial period to see if it affects gates lower down but can see all Championship and lower games being streamed within 2 years (unless game is picked for Sky).

Status
Not open for further replies.