"I do regret leaving United when I did"

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He's a season ticket holder these days though I think?
Good for him.

But when it was his own career, he preferred to go where he would be the top striker.

Which is fair enough - I don't blame him for that. He wasn't the first. It just means that I'm a bit indifferent to him.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
You expect all our players to just sit out their careers on the bench if they aren't being used then?

MacMUFC

He should have stayed and fought for his place, or at least just to be part of the set up. He didn't bleed red, unfortunately.
I've been a long time reader of the Caf and one thing i've noticed is your personal grudge against Andy Cole. Did he not sign an autograph for you when you were a child or something? Get over it. Everytime theres been a positive thread regarding Andy Cole, you've always ruined it by adding unneccessary, negative comments.

Livvie

Scout
I've been a long time reader of the Caf and one thing i've noticed is your personal grudge against Andy Cole. Did he not sign an autograph for you when you were a child or something? Get over it. Everytime theres been a positive thread regarding Andy Cole, you've always ruined it by adding unneccessary, negative comments.
It's my opinion, so tough.

And Mockney, no I don't expect all our players to sit on the bench - that's why I said I didn't blame him for it. Did you miss that bit?

Which is fair enough - I don't blame him for that. He wasn't the first. It just means that I'm a bit indifferent to him.

But I'd have preferred him to stay and fight for his place. I'd have preferred to see him accepting a role on the bench at times.

He didn't, and that was his choice.

And I never asked him for an autograph. But I saw a few people who did, and he just ignored them.

So whilst I appreciate every goal he ever scored, or made, for us, I don't like the guy and don't see why I should pretend that I do.

MacMUFC

It's my opinion, so tough.

And I never asked him for an autograph. But I saw a few people who did, and he just ignored them.

So whilst I appreciate every goal he ever scored, or made, for us, I don't like the guy and don't see why I should pretend that I do.
Well try keeping your opinion to yourself? Why tarnish a positive thread a player who gave us great service, with a petty and immature opinion? Its just annoying, the fact you've done it almost every Andy Cole thread is pretty pathetic...

You dont have to pretend you like him, but if theres a past player who is widely liked by almost all of our fans, why share your negative opinion on it all the time? You know full well its going to piss people off, as well as tarnish his image. I personally think you should just keep it to yourself.

When Ryan Giggs retires, i'm going to comment on every positive thread regarding him, about how inconsistent he was, why he didnt get enough goals and why I think he should have developed into a better player than he had been in his career. You know that would stick out like a sore thumb dont you? Giggs is my favourite player, but you'll never see me badmouthing him, because I truly appreciate what a brilliant player and person he has been for us, so sharing negative opinion on him would be completely unneccessary.

Livvie

Scout
Well try keeping your opinion to yourself? Why tarnish a positive thread a player who gave us great service, with a petty and immature opinion? Its just annoying, the fact you've done it almost every Andy Cole thread is pretty pathetic...

You dont have to pretend you like him, but if theres a past player who is widely liked by almost all of our fans, why share your negative opinion on it all the time? You know full well its going to piss people off, as well as tarnish his image. I personally think you should just keep it to yourself.

When Ryan Giggs retires, i'm going to comment on every positive thread regarding him, about how inconsistent he was, why he didnt get enough goals and why I think he should have developed into a better player than he had been in his career. You know that would stick out like a sore thumb dont you? Giggs is my favourite player, but you'll never see me badmouthing him, because I truly appreciate what a brilliant player and person he has been for us, so sharing negative opinion on him would be completely unneccessary.

It's a forum, and I've always made sure that I've stood up for people's right to an opinion, even if it wasn't the same as mine.

Argue your case for AC by all means, but don't use comments like "Keep your opinion to yourself" on a message-board.

MacMUFC

It's a forum, and I've always made sure that I've stood up for people's right to an opinion, even if it wasn't the same as mine.

Argue your case for AC by all means, but don't use comments like "Keep your opinion to yourself" on a message-board.
OK, going by that logic the next time I see you criticising someones opinion, i'll be sure to point Andy Cole out to you :)

Livvie

Scout
OK, going by that logic the next time I see you criticising someones opinion, i'll be sure to point Andy Cole out to you :)
I haven't got a problem with anyone criticising an opinion though.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone else has the right to challenge it, or engage in debate over it.

Have I ever said otherwise?

MacMUFC

I haven't got a problem with anyone criticising an opinion though.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone else has the right to challenge it, or engage in debate over it.

Have I ever said otherwise?
Its not even just that, its the fact that you seem to share your - quite frankly bizzare - grudge against Andy Cole in every thread regarding said player. Ok, we get it, you dont like him, so why do you persist on spreading this propoganda of yours time and time again?

Mockney

And Mockney, no I don't expect all our players to sit on the bench - that's why I said I didn't blame him for it. Did you miss that bit?
No i didn't miss that bit....but you said "it just means I'm a bit indifferent to him"...Implying that is the reason you're indifferent to him. Which is a bit nuts to me. Almost every player in his position would've felt the same if they had the same track record as him and as you said, he wasn't the first. So I assume you're consistent and are indifferent to all of them too.

As for "staying and fighting for his place"...he did that. Numerous times. When Scholes got ahead of him..when we signed Ole, when we signed Dwight, even the summer we signed Ruud. He stayed and fought for his place every time.

Finally he realised Ruud was the main man, so left. You're being a bit finickity and selective if you're trying to use that as a reason. But, meh, tis you're opinion...if you don't like him you don't like him...

Livvie

Scout
Its not even just that, its the fact that you seem to share your - quite frankly bizzare - grudge against Andy Cole in every thread regarding said player. Ok, we get it, you dont like him, so why do you persist on spreading this propoganda of yours time and time again?
Fair enough.

I do really dislike him, and maybe that's irrational, I don't know. I just feel that he was a player who was more in it for himself, than for United. That may be wrong, and I welcome constructive responses as to why. But having seen him ignore fans, chuck his dummy out of the pram when he had to sit on the bench once, and then leave almost as soon as Ruud came, I just don't see why I owe him any loyalty at all.

I get wound up by him, and that is probably quite over the top.

I'll bear it in mind because I respect your views on it.

Just don't tell me, or anyone, to keep their opinions to themselves though. There's the world of difference between telling something that you think they're wrong, and denying them the right to say it in the first place.

Ixion

Livvie hates Cole because he used to keep Solskjaer out of the team and shes obsessed with Ole. I think everytime Ole was on the bench her hatred grew for Andy a little bit!

Livvie

Scout
Livvie hates Cole because he used to keep Solskjaer out of the team and shes obsessed with Ole. I think everytime Ole was on the bench her hatred grew for Andy a little bit!
That's rubbish actually because I wasn't that keen on him when he first came to the club.

And why didn't I dislike Dwight Yorke then? Or Ruud? Or Teddy?

Bread

I think he's shite

Mockney

Just teasing :D

Might as well post this again

Aaah the memories.

Was right behind No7 when he hit it...beautiful.

Number 6 still makes me cheer whenever I see it...that was a crucial crucial game.

Number 2 - Out Barcaing Barca in Barca....take that you feckers!

and Number 1...Wouldn't be a treble without it.

Was good to hear Andy Andy Andy Cole get an airing on Sunday...all be it a rather brief and mooted one.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I used to think he needs 5 or more chances to score in his early united years, to be frank. But then its all down to him always manage to run into good position to score.
I reckon if you were able to find the relevant stats, you wouldn't find a single striker who didn't.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Well try keeping your opinion to yourself?
The Caf would certainly be an active & lively forum if we all followed your advice!
MacMUFC said:
Why tarnish a positive thread a player who gave us great service, with a petty and immature opinion? Its just annoying, the fact you've done it almost every Andy Cole thread is pretty pathetic....
And who're you to decide Livvies's opinion is 'petty & immature'?

The only reason this is a 'positive thread' is because Cole admitted what the 'petty & immature' among us have been thinking all along - he shafted United for the sake of his England carreer. Now he's sorry, and wish he'd remained here.

Very nice, Cole, we knew you'd get there in the end.

MacMUFC

Fair enough.

I do really dislike him, and maybe that's irrational, I don't know. I just feel that he was a player who was more in it for himself, than for United. That may be wrong, and I welcome constructive responses as to why. But having seen him ignore fans, chuck his dummy out of the pram when he had to sit on the bench once, and then leave almost as soon as Ruud came, I just don't see why I owe him any loyalty at all.

I get wound up by him, and that is probably quite over the top.

I'll bear it in mind because I respect your views on it.

Just don't tell me, or anyone, to keep their opinions to themselves though. There's the world of difference between telling something that you think they're wrong, and denying them the right to say it in the first place.
Good to hear. Thing is, when you get wound up by him and tell us about it on here, its winds me up and then causes an argument! Well, i'm glad you at least appreciate my view on it, so respect for that.

By 'keep your opinion to yourself' I only meant that if it was in a negative and degoratory context of a past player who I think we should appreciate, rather than hate upon. I just dont like the fact that you've said this on more than one occasion, because if it was the first time you'd done it, I might not have replied.

The Caf would certainly be an active & lively forum if we all followed your advice!
Read above.

Umm, a stranger on the Internet, yourself? No disrespect, but i'm not bothered if you have a join date 1999 and 10,000 posts, if I see something I dont particular agree with, i'm going to question it.

The only reason this is a 'positive thread' is because Cole admitted what the 'petty & immature' among us have been thinking all along - he shafted United for the sake of his England carreer. Now he's sorry, and wish he'd remained here.
All footballers have ambitions and motives. We got great years of service from him and he saw what he thought was right at the time, and even SAF gave him his blessing. I dont think he's ever said a bad word about us, so respect to him for that. Cole has repeatedly stated that we're his favourite club and he even has a season ticket.

I dont even support England, but I can respect Cole for trying to fulfil a lifelong ambition so I dont see the big deal and as I said, we got the best years out of him, so its not a problem.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Mac -- It's immaterial if she's said it 10.000 times. We're all here to talk about football & no one should be told to keep their opinions to themselves.
"...tell us about it on here, its winds me up and then causes an argument" is more or less the script for any football forum, isn't it?

Of course we're all 'randomers off the internet' here (Some more than others -- I'm extremely random!) , but I just don't get judging another poster's opinion as 'silly & immature' without giving an argument as to why.

I can't see what's silly & immature about feeling Cole cared more about his England carreer than United, when that's exactly what he's admitting in this interview.

MacMUFC

Mac -- It's immaterial if she's said it 10.000 times. We're all here to talk about football & no one should be told to keep their opinions to themselves.
"...tell us about it on here, its winds me up and then causes an argument" is more or less the script for any football forum, isn't it?

Of course we're all 'randomers off the internet' here (Some more than others -- I'm extremely random!) , but I just don't get judging another poster's opinion as 'silly & immature' without giving an argument as to why.

I can't see what's silly & immature about feeling Cole cared more about his England carreer than United, when that's exactly what he's admitting in this interview.
If i've said that, then my mistake. What I thought was petty was Livvie repeatedly criticising Cole in every thread about him, because it certainly wasnt the first time.

Anyway, I dont want to say anymore because i've picked up a tendency on here to create long and drawn out arguments when I really dont have the time!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole

shafted united :houllier:

Mockney

I hate it when fans decide players should act the way they want them to act. The world would be a great place if I could go around telling everyone they should do exactly as I would do or else they're cnuts.

Problem is, it'd make me a far bigger cnut. Cole did what he felt he wanted to do. He didn't shaft United in the slightest. He was out of favour.

Next time you do something Andy Cole wouldn't of done, be sure you let him tell you how immature it was of you to do it.

He wanted to get into the World Cup squad, something which is the pinnacle for many player's careers and a rare and cherished thing to some...he'd achieved everything he could possibly have dreamed of at United. He was out of favour, we'd just signed a new striker and the WC, the last one he'd realistically be good enough to go to was coming up in the summer.....yeah what a bloody immature wanker ey? how dare he follow the best path for his career!....How very very dare he!

Sorry, went off on one then, I'm tired, I'm going to go to bed now.

Waltraute

She-Devil
I never said Cole was a cnut or an immature wanker.

I said I understood where Livvie was coming from, and felt she didn't deserved to be called 'petty and immature' just because she might have regarded Cole's departure from United in exactly the same way Cole himself regarded it -- that is, he cared more about his own carreer than he cared about United.

Yes, that's normal for a footballer. No, that's no reason to call anyone a cnut. (And we haven't!) No, he didn't 'shaft' United, that was hyperbole, and I'm sorry.

Now I'm going to put a sock in it & have a fag (something Andy Cole wouldn't have done!), go to bed and hope we can just agree to disagree.

Mockney

I'm going to have a fag too....though I hate saying that, in case Americans are listening.

It's just one of my my bugbears is that...people expecting higher standards from footballers (or famous people in general) than they do themselves. Not that you think that, but I pick up on any excuse to rant about it. Fans rarely put themselves in the players shoes, they just put themselves in their lives whilst keeping their own shoes on.

Tevez, Ronaldo...I'll argue with anyone they were fine upstanding decent people.

I'd stop short at Terry though. fecking cnut.

Livvie

Scout
I'm going to have a fag too....though I hate saying that, in case Americans are listening.

It's just one of my my bugbears is that...people expecting higher standards from footballers (or famous people in general) than they do themselves. Not that you think that, but I pick up on any excuse to rant about it. Fans rarely put themselves in the players shoes, they just put themselves in their lives whilst keeping their own shoes on.

Tevez, Ronaldo...I'll argue with anyone they were fine upstanding decent people.

I'd stop short at Terry though. fecking cnut.
Not sure you're right there tbh.

(Not about Terry - that's spot on....)

Andy Cole, Joe Cole, Cheryl Cole - or Fred Cole from down the road - they're just people, and if Fred Cole pointedly ignores someone, he gets disliked for it. Andrew Cole could be quite ignorant when it came to fans, so he earned himself a reputation for not being the most likeable of people. Therefore, when he left United, it was easier to view it is a kick in the teeth to the club than it would have been had he been a fans man.

Unfair maybe, but hardly surprising.

So people have a tendency to expect the same courtesy from a footballer that they would expect from anyone else. And I would guess that most United fans would put United before England, so if you're talking about the man's attitude, or the man's loyalty, I'd guess that a lot of fans have put themselves in shoes, and would have behaved differently all round.

All footballers have ambitions and motives. We got great years of service from him and he saw what he thought was right at the time, and even SAF gave him his blessing. I dont think he's ever said a bad word about us, so respect to him for that. Cole has repeatedly stated that we're his favourite club and he even has a season ticket.
Interestingly, David Beckham has been slagged off unmercifully on here for leaving the club, even though there's dispute over whether or not he actually wanted to go. He's never said a bad word about us either, but he's had far worse said about him than Andy Cole has.

Which is completely off topic I know,

Mockney

Not sure you're right there tbh.

(Not about Terry - that's spot on....)

Andy Cole, Joe Cole, Cheryl Cole - or Fred Cole from down the road - they're just people, and if Fred Cole pointedly ignores someone, he gets disliked for it. Andrew Cole could be quite ignorant when it came to fans, so he earned himself a reputation for not being the most likeable of people. Therefore, when he left United, it was easier to view it is a kick in the teeth to the club than it would have been had he been a fans man.

Unfair maybe, but hardly surprising.
Yes Livvie, it is unfair. Not least because you've created this "reputation" based on your, and a few people you knows opinions. Essentially, second hand knowledge. You don't know him from Adam. He's actually signed an autograph for me, I've still got it, at the City Ground in 97. He seemed like a nice bloke. He's also quite liked on the terraces when I've spoken to people. His song was sung on Sunday for example... I have, as it happens, heard other people say he was a moody git. But it's also irrelent because, d'you know what? You don't know him! You've never spent any time with him and he could for all you know be a fantastically warm and welcoming person who was going through a rough time when you saw him...But like most people, you're making judgements on someone you don't know. Which is stupid...In all walks of life, whether it be about Fred Cole, Joe Cole or Cashley Cole...

But then again I don't actually expect anything from players, nor do I really care. I'm not the kind of person who stalks them for autographs in the first place. I also don't care that much how deeply they love the club because I realise they aren't me and they owe me nothing beyond playing well...and if anything, I owe them for that.

So people have a tendency to expect the same courtesy from a footballer that they would expect from anyone else.
They don't though. They expect more, and take it twice as hard if they're let down and then grumble like spoiled children.

And I would guess that most United fans would put United before England, so if you're talking about the man's attitude, or the man's loyalty, I'd guess that a lot of fans have put themselves in shoes, and would have behaved differently all round.
What? Who gives a crap if most fans would or wouldn't?...We aren't playing an averages game here. What most fans would do is completely irrelevant. Most people liked Avatar. I didn't. I should probably move my feelings in line to suit the majority should I?...This is error number one with the player/fan relationship. Players owe fans nothing in reality, and yet every individual fan thinks they do for some baffling reason. He's given you more than you've given him. Why the feck should he think and act and respect all the same things you do?...How in anyway should that be expected, or even be remotely fair? It's his life, not yours.

He didn't feel like most fans at that stage of his career, and several players in his position wouldn't either...in fact I wouldn't at that stage. If it was my last chance to play in a WC and I'd won everything there was to win...I'd move too actually. But that's irrelevant. What MOST people would do has no bearing on what Andy Cole should do...and they aren't putting themselves in his shoes, they have no idea what it's like to be Andy Cole because they aren't Andy Cole. Do you get pestered day in day out? On the street? When you're in a bad mood? Recognised? Criticised in the press? Sometimes getting abuse from people? No..you have no idea what it's like for that to happen, so you aren't putting yourself in his shoes AT ALL...again, you're putting yourself in your shoes, and imagining what you'd like to think you'd do if people came up asking for autographs all the time..and imagining you'd be little miss sunshine all the time...but you actually have no idea at all...

Assuming they do know because they support United and would like to be a player is bollocks....That's exactly my point. You're still in your shoes, just imagining yourself in his life....and most specifically and prominently, the good bits of his life.

Interestingly, David Beckham has been slagged off unmercifully on here for leaving the club, even though there's dispute over whether or not he actually wanted to go. He's never said a bad word about us either, but he's had far worse said about him than Andy Cole has.

Which is completely off topic I know,
So, what? You're trying to re-dress the balance?

Livvie

Scout
So, what? You're trying to re-dress the balance?
No, just pointing out the hypocracy. Andrei Kanchelskis is another who got slagged off because he didn't want to be on the bench.

And isn't it telling that I never even thought of Ashley Cole. :D