"I do regret leaving United when I did"

Chiring

Nice read on Andy Cole-
Apologies if posted before...

Manchester United legend Andy Cole admits he regrets leaving Old Trafford in 2001 because not only did it cost him numerous honours including two Premier League titles, but also because he failed to make Sven Goran Eriksson's 2002 World Cup squad. Cole suggests he left Sir Alex Ferguson’s side to join Blackburn Rovers with the sole aim of being involved at the World Cup having missed out in 1998.

Having left Manchester United in December 2001 to join Blackburn Rovers, Cole enjoyed a good season at Ewood Park, scoring 13 goals in 20 games and securing the Carling Cup trophy. The former Old Trafford marksman was involved in almost all of the England squads in the build up to the World Cup, but Eriksson left him out at the last minute in favour of Darius Vassell.

Cole believes he would probably have been earned a call-up to the England squad had he remained at Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson wanted Cole to stay at Old Trafford at the time, and the striker suggests leaving the club he served with distinction for the best part of seven years is the biggest mistake of his career.

The Manchester United legend told the Independent: “The first time I was close but missed out was in 1998, when I wasn't picked by Glenn Hoddle, a manager who, in my view, let personal animosity between us influence a footballing decision. But Glenn has never been one to hold back on his personal views, as his loopy remarks about disabled people later showed.”

“The second time I missed out was in 2002, causing the biggest single regret of my professional life.”

“I had left Manchester United for Blackburn in late 2001 with the specific and sole aim of earning a place in England's 2002 World Cup squad, and then it didn't happen; I'm still not certain why.”

“I don't feel lingering hurt. Life's too short and you can't change the past, and others got to go to a tournament that I didn't, and that's good for them, and that's part of football.”

“But representing England, for me, was the ultimate honour. I've written before about how much it meant to my family and wider community. Playing for England at a World Cup would have been just wonderful.”

“The omission from Sven Goran Eriksson's squad in 2002 was something of a surprise because Sven had called me in early February of that year. ‘Hello Andrew, it's Sven,’ he said in his usual friendly way (and I mean that, he's a nice guy).”

“’Hello Mr Eriksson,’ I replied.”

"’I just wanted to let you know that I won't be picking you in the squad for the friendly coming up,’ he said. England were playing the Netherlands in Amsterdam. ‘But don't worry,’ Sven added. ‘It's just because I want to have a look at a few other players. You'll be in the next squad, for sure.’"

“I said: ‘That's fine, I understand, thanks for letting me know.’"

“That was February 2002. And, dear reader, I can disclose that I'm still waiting for Sven's next call! Yes, I'm still waiting to be included in his next squad. It's untrue that I've not spoken to Sven since then, because we met last year when he asked whether I fancied coming out of retirement to join the Notts County dream (!). But I didn't speak to Sven between being told I'd be in his next squad in 2002, and bumping into him in 2009.”

“I bear Sven no grudge, but it was a confusing time for me because I had left United with the express aim of getting the regular first-team football and goals that I felt would be necessary to get me on the England plane to Japan and South Korea.”

“Sir Alex Ferguson didn't want me to leave United back then.”

“He said he'd be happy for me to stay, but he was also honest and said he'd never give a player guarantees about games.”

“So I left for Blackburn. I won the League Cup with Rovers within a couple of months (against Tottenham managed by Hoddle, sweet), and I scored 13 goals in 20 games in all competitions in half a season. And I thought I had done enough, but Sven differed in his view, and that was that.”

“In the end, Sven took Michael Owen, Teddy Sheringham, Darius Vassell and Robbie Fowler. Those are the tough choices Sven was paid to make, and as a player in contention for a place, you know the manager might always be swayed by something another player does.”

Cole continued: “If I had stayed at United, maybe I would have been part of another two title-winning teams, or more.”

“So in hindsight I do regret leaving United when I did, because my World Cup dream didn't come to fruition.”

“I tell you this story to illustrate how much of a lure the planet's most important football tournament can be. I changed my club – and my life, leaving my beloved United – to chase it.”

"I do regret leaving United when I did" 14 May 2010 - 12:14 | Sport.co.uk

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
To be fair, that's got to be pretty hard for anybody to take...:lol:
On reflection of their careers, yes. But at the time, perhaps not. I don't remember thinking that Cole should be going to that tournament, not by 2002. 1998, I thought he was hard done by, though.

I always feel we've had quite a few players either out of favour or had less than glittering International careers. I love Euro's and World Cup's and watching the best, but I can't help but feel it's helped United more that these International managers choose others.

For example, could Cole have been as fresh for our treble winning season if he'd gone to France in 1998?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Darius fecking Vassell....it was all cos he scored a scissor kick in that friendly too. It's a joke he was ever an England player.

Cole never got the breaks for England unfortunately, which is a shame cos you can tell how much it meant to him. It was his England form that created that "needs 5 chances to score" rubbish..He only ever had one bad season for United, and 6 blinding ones, so that view never stood up. But he got something like 1 England goal in 13 games which is a bit shocking...Then again, he was never going to be picked ahead of Shearer, and neither was anyone else during Big Al's reign as captain so most of those appearances were as subs or in experimental teams.

And I don't think he would've worked with Michael Owen at that WC anyway...they just don't compliment each other really....He was just very unlucky with the players who were ahead of him and the way we played throughout his career...just like Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand et all were...

Mockney

On reflection of their careers, yes. But at the time, perhaps not. I don't remember thinking that Cole should be going to that tournament, not by 2002. 1998, I thought he was hard done by, though.
He got injured end of season...he would definitely have been there I'm sure (or was that Euro 2000?). He was Top scorer that season and PFA runner up...If Glen "gotta have faith" Hoddle didn't pick him and he was available, then that really is a fecking travesty

EDIT: Just re-read the article....feckin' Hoddle

For example, could Cole have been as fresh for our treble winning season if he'd gone to France in 1998?
Didn't stop Beckham...maybe it was the rest he got from the remainder of the Argentina game :smirk:

Mockney

:lol:

He wasn't really...he was in an out of the team. Veron and Beckham were both playing in a 5 man midfield really, that was the idea. We had to fit Scholes, Keane, Becks, Veron and Giggs in somehow...Depended on who we played...I think he only got 2 goals or something in the first half of the season..I can only remember Everton & Spurs at any rate.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Darius fecking Vassell....it was all cos he scored a scissor kick in that friendly too. It's a joke he was ever an England player.
I can't say I agree. Vassell, circa 2001-03 was actually quite effective for England. He had pace and it seemed to make defenders shit themselves where he wasn't afraid to run at them. I thought he did ok for England.

Cole never got the breaks for England unfortunately, which is a shame cos you can tell how much it meant to him. It was his England form that created that "needs 5 chances to score" rubbish..He only ever had one bad season for United, and 6 blinding ones, so that view never stood up.
5 chances to score 1 was Hoddle's line wasn't it? The prick. Agreed, nonsense. Which is his one bad season for United, may I ask?

Then again, he was never going to be picked ahead of Shearer, and neither was anyone else during Big Al's reign as captain so most of those appearances were as subs or in experimental teams.

And I don't think he would've worked with Michael Owen at that WC anyway...they just don't compliment each other really....He was just very unlucky with the players who were ahead of him and the way we played throughout his career...just like Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler, Les Ferdinand et all...
Shearer was rightly in there, but during his captaincy he had some shockers for England and he was being carried a bit. That annoyed me when there were players like Cole doing well.

Not many work too well with Owen, to be fair!

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Didn't stop Beckham...maybe it was the rest he got from the remainder of the Argentina game :smirk:
:D

My point was just generally on our International players. Scholes retired early, Giggs has always held back and never been at a tournament, Yorke never went to tournaments when with us, Sheringham was out of favour by the time he joined United, Pallister and Bruce were not involved much (or at all, in Bruce's case). The list goes on. There are exceptions, but it was just a bit of a generalisation.

Look at the list of players staying behind this summer. I just feel it's happened for years either through bad luck or selection policies. But we've benefited, is what I mean.

Mockney

I can't say I agree. Vassell, circa 2001-03 was actually quite effective for England. He had pace and it seemed to make defenders shit themselves where he wasn't afraid to run at them. I thought he did ok for England.
Meh, probably true...but I see him more like Steve Stone, just had a purple patch that made him flavour of the month...was never actually international level.

5 chances to score 1 was Hoddle's line wasn't it? The prick. Agreed, nonsense. Which is his one bad season for United, may I ask?
95/96. The you don't win anything with kids/Eric's return season...When he only got something like 13 and the press were on his back like cnuts. He wasn't bad of course, about as bad as berbatov's been...so if the caf had been around then he'd of been slaughtered. Still managed to score 2 of the most important goals of that season though, the opener against Newcastle and the 2nd at the Riverside.

All his other seasons his goal per game ratio was bombastic

It always annoyed me that players like Owen could have a few bad seasons, go through equally long dry patches and never get even close to the criticism Cole got in that one season, and have it stick throughout his career....travesty IMO. If he'd managed to break international level I'd like to think he'd be viewed like Owen is world wide. He was 9th in WPY in 99. Basically, Owen's goal against the Argies ensured he was labeled a genius for life, whereas Cole (despite still being the 2nd highest prem scorer of all time) is sort of trodden on reputation wise outside United.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Meh, probably true...but I see him more like Steve Stone, just had a purple patch that made him flavour of the month...was never actually international level.

95/96. The you don't win anything with kids/Eric's return season...When he only got something like 13 and the press were on his back like cnuts. He wasn't bad of course, about as bad as berbatov's been...so if the caf had been around then he'd of been slaughtered. Still managed to score 2 of the most important goals of that season though, the opener against Newcastle and the 2nd at the Riverside.

Probably, re: Vassell. I just felt he was a good option for England at the time.

Agree with that. I thought you might mean 95/96 but I didn't ever feel he had a stinker to warrant saying it was a bad season, so just wondered. He started the season with an injury and then was out of favour to Scholes for a while if I recall correctly (I love that Scholes use to play up front and score a shit load!), but he still did OK I thought.

Very interesting read though, that article. A lesson to today's footballers because Cole's career nose-dived after he left us.

Mockney

And of course a lesson that no matter how much pride you have in playing for your country...Even changing clubs and stepping down a level to achieve it...You still might not be picked for a World Cup, whilst some scouse cnut who threw his toys out of the pram and retired 2 years ago because there were better players than him in his position will eventually get to go.

Life is bitch and then you die.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cole never got the breaks for England unfortunately, which is a shame cos you can tell how much it meant to him. It was his England form that created that "needs 5 chances to score" rubbish..He only ever had one bad season for United, and 6 blinding ones, so that view never stood up.
I used to think he needs 5 or more chances to score in his early united years, to be frank. But then its all down to him always manage to run into good position to score.

Member 39557

Vassell looked better in an England shirt at the time than he ever did in a club shirt. I think we were linked in the tabloid press with bidding for Vassell at the time.
Andy Cole is unquestionably the better player but I can't recall having a problem with the Vassell selection at the time.

Edit: I think I used the phrase "at the time" a bit too much!

Ixion

Cole and Ruud looked decent together in the short time they were both here, shame they didn't get to play more but Sir Alex was determined to play Scholes up front.

Cole should have gone to the World Cup in 2002, 13 goals in 20 games in a shit Blackburn side fighting relegation is pretty good going.

misterredmist

I think he gives a different slant to what seemed apparent at the time......I don't think Andy Cole appreciated SAF signing the deadliest Centre Forward we'd had in generations at OT - and it must have done his ego no good at all to see that Ruud was not only first pick, but also different class.

and I think that may have been a problem with Andy Cole, I think he needed his ego massaging to keep his confidence up, and may be, England managers thought he was'nt worth the emotional baggage he could bring with him, such as with his fall out with Teddy Sheringham.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded

It always annoyed me that players like Owen could have a few bad seasons, go through equally long dry patches and never get even close to the criticism Cole got in that one season, and have it stick throughout his career....travesty IMO. If he'd managed to break international level I'd like to think he'd be viewed like Owen is world wide. He was 9th in WPY in 99. Basically, Owen's goal against the Argies ensured he was labeled a genius for life, whereas Cole (despite still being the 2nd highest prem scorer of all time) is sort of trodden on reputation wise outside United.
Wasn't he out till atleast Christmas with a broken leg!?

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
I used to think he needs 5 or more chances to score in his early united years, to be frank. But then its all down to him always manage to run into good position to score.
Les Ferdinand once said: "People say Andy Cole needs four or five chances to score. Really? Well if it is true, then I'd always say that I want him in my team if he's finding four or five chances for himself and then scoring."

I thought it summed up an exaggeration and load of bullshit quite well. He could find the space and exploit it. Plus, he could finish. End of.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
He was a cracking player, some of his goals were out of this world. Chips, little dinks over the goalie, screamers and tap ins. Add to that he had pace to burn, a great first touch and the ability to always find space....... What we would do to have a player like that now!

Mockney

Wasn't he out till atleast Christmas with a broken leg!?
That was the following season, when Neil Roddock broke both his legs in a reserve game (though it was far less serious than it sounded..he was back before the end of the season)....He was injured at the begining of 95/96, but only for a few games and nothing serious. That was the only season he showed any kind of prolonged dip in form. A big deal was made of Fergie choosing Scholes over him for Forest at home.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
That was the following season, when Neil Roddock broke both his legs in a reserve game (though it was far less serious than it sounded..he was back before the end of the season)....He was injured at the begining of 95/96, but only for a few games and nothing serious. That was the only season he showed any kind of prolonged dip in form. A big deal was made of Fergie choosing Scholes over him for Forest at home.
I remember that, it was ridiculous. Scholes' form dictated that he deserved to play.

Weird how few of that impressive United side went to Euro '96 yet Phil Neville did! He was not exactly one of the more regulars amongst the kids that year. But then Venables did have his favourites, Steve Stone's name has already come up once in this thread.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Mockney, I am ashamed of myself. Just watched the season review on VHS to make sure you weren't pulling my leg!

Mockney

I remember that, it was ridiculous. Scholes' form dictated that he deserved to play.

Weird how few of that impressive United side went to Euro '96 yet Phil Neville did! He was not exactly one of the more regulars amongst the kids that year. But then Venables did have his favourites, Steve Stone's name has already come up once in this thread.
There was a very funny sketch around the time which was a clip of Venables announcing his England squad spliced with a shot of the Spurs line up with someone impersonating El Tel over the top explaining how he'd managed to find distant English relatives for Klinsmann and Dumitrescu thus making them available...It goes without saying that Darren Anderton was hardly in the form of his life going into that..nor Nicky Barmby.

Also, what strikes me looking at that squad now was how young it was!...a heap of 21-25 year olds in there. Scholes would hardly have been out of his depth. Maybe he just didn't want to go with too many

UEFA Euro 1996 squads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mockney, I am ashamed of myself. Just watched the season review on VHS to make sure you weren't pulling my leg!
Which one? The Double Double one? I've got that one somewhere...but sadly no VHS player :(

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He should have stayed and fought for his place, or at least just to be part of the set up. He didn't bleed red, unfortunately.