I have changed my mind...

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Well, Liverpool fans have changed my mind for me.

I have been a pretty consistent advocate against alleged infractions of the rules by Manchester City and have defended Jurgen Klopp’s great work at Liverpool. Spending money on the right players with little room for error etc...

The last 48 hours have completely changed my mind about this. I have abandoned all notion of morality and principals.

If Manchester United can’t compete next season, I am now absolutely in favour of Pep spending £500 million and completely dominating the league. I can’t believe how over the top these celebrations are.

We are seeing so many drawings and murals, fans changing their Facebook photos multiple times a day for different shots of Jordan Henderson lifting trophies from one off friendly games. We are hearing awful love ballad videos and grown men crying. Virgil, lit up like an angel, while Alisson is on his knees doing who knows what.

I don’t understand why everything has to be so overly romantic and sentimental with this club. I expected it to be bad, but I never expected the completely cringeworthy and embarrassing behavior of so many fans, and so many friends and colleagues I assumed were grown men.

It’s fantastic to win a title, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t understand why everything has to be so over the top when it comes to Liverpool. The Leicester story was far more romantic and worthy of craziness, but I never saw any strange drawings and baffling videos when they won it.

It’s a very strange club, so strange in fact, that I have been forced to change my stance on Man City completely. If Man Utd don’t step up, we need someone else to do so. They have made what should be a regular title win into something so horrendously unpalatable, that it can never be allowed to happen again.

Anyway, discuss the embarrassing celebrations and any theories on why this club are an outlier on what is an acceptable title celebration. Why are they so overly emotional? Why is everything they do so over the top? Why is there no cap to the cringe? And why is it only them who get on like this?

sport2793

You've lost the plot. We are rent free in their heads, just enjoy that when we ruin their party in the next couple of seasons.

Nickelodeon

I have been a pretty consistent advocate against alleged infractions of the rules by Manchester City and have defended Jurgen Klopp’s great work at Liverpool. Spending money on the right players with little room for error etc...

The last 48 hours have completely changed my mind about this. I have abandoned all notion of morality and principals.

If Manchester United can’t compete next season, I am now absolutely in favour of Pep spending £500 million and completely dominating the league. I can’t believe how over the top these celebrations are.

We are seeing so many drawings and murals, fans changing their Facebook photos multiple times a day for different shots of Jordan Henderson lifting trophies from one off friendly games. We are hearing awful love ballad videos and grown men crying. Virgil, lit up like an angel, while Alisson is on his knees doing who knows what.

I don’t understand why everything has to be so overly romantic and sentimental with this club. I expected it to be bad, but I never expected the completely cringeworthy and embarrassing behavior of so many fans, and so many friends and colleagues I assumed were grown men.

It’s fantastic to win a title, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t understand why everything has to be so over the top when it comes to Liverpool. The Leicester story was far more romantic and worthy of craziness, but I never saw any strange drawings and baffling videos when they won it.

It’s a very strange club, so strange in fact, that I have been forced to change my stance on Man City completely. If Man Utd don’t step up, we need someone else to do so. They have made what should be a regular title win into something so horrendously unpalatable, that it can never be allowed to happen again.

Anyway, discuss the embarrassing celebrations and any theories on why this club are an outlier on what is an acceptable title celebration. Why are they so overly emotional? Why is everything they do so over the top? Why is there no cap to the cringe? And why is it only them who get on like this?
The media has made it much worse. I hadn’t seen much of John Barnes as a pundit but he seems to be on everyday now. Regular panels are sometimes fully Liverpool led with Owen, Mcmanananan, Fowler etc. Plus social media videos and channel created videos as how Liverpool have achieved the impossible. Leicester didn’t get half the coverage than these lot have got.

I’m actually quite confident of a Liverpool decline next season so I’m watching every smug pundits comments. Will be a cool now and then analysis.

norm87cro

You should avoid the media mate. That's what I'm doing. But I'm glad your on the right path because everything is lesser evil than the Dippers.

mu4c_20le

:lol: who cares about them, just shows how small time they are. Keep in mind that many of them weren't even alive the last time they won it, so it must feel like as if Leicester or Spurs won it.

Maluco

:lol:

Indeed, what a shocking post
It’s obviously tongue in cheek if you read it.

I am genuinely interested though in why their fan base are so overly romantic and sentimental. They are the only club who would celebrate in this overly dramatic way and I thought it would be a good discussion to have. Is it media influenced? Are they favoured by pundits due to seeing a successful side in their childhoods, possibly nostalgia?

More useless replies like this one and there won’t be a conversation I guess.

Maluco

The media has made it much worse. I hadn’t seen much of John Barnes as a pundit but he seems to be on everyday now. Regular panels are sometimes fully Liverpool led with Owen, Mcmanananan, Fowler etc. Plus social media videos and channel created videos as how Liverpool have achieved the impossible. Leicester didn’t get half the coverage than these lot have got.

I’m actually quite confident of a Liverpool decline next season so I’m watching every smug pundits comments. Will be a cool now and then analysis.
Yeah, there has definitely been an increase in ex player pundits in recent times. Even the neutrals though seem to get lost in this romantic “let’s make this moment seem like nothing is greater” notion.

I don’t think any other European club has every celebrated winning the Club World Cup like they have.

I don’t think anyone else would be coupling together their European success from last season, which they can only still call themselves because of a health pandemic.

They just seem to do things in a very unique way. Always very romanticized. Always very dramatic. I should have known after “They Dared to Dream”, but it still far exceeded what even I expected.

Hope it acts as fuel for our boys anyway:devil:

Pass and Move

We’re basically Ron Jeremy, and they’re the 30 year old virgin who’s finally got their end away. Of course they’re going to overreact

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I haven’t seen many celebrations. I scroll past and get on with my day.

AFC NimbleThumb

Bar the usual tat in the odd instagram post i’ve seen nothing.

I don’t know why anyone watches the likes of bt/sky sports for anything bar the actual games. Don’t do it to yourself.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s classic little club syndrome

I could be wrong but I don’t think they have the squad or the financial results to hold off the 2 Manchester clubs & Chelsea for too long

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It’s obviously tongue in cheek if you read it.

I am genuinely interested though in why their fan base are so overly romantic and sentimental. They are the only club who would celebrate in this overly dramatic way and I thought it would be a good discussion to have. Is it media influenced? Are they favoured by pundits due to seeing a successful side in their childhoods, possibly nostalgia?

More useless replies like this one and there won’t be a conversation I guess.
Because their Mum's on the game, their Dad's in the nick and they can't get a job 'cause they're so fecking thick?

stevoc

Bar the twat who lives across from me putting out all his Liverpool flags i have managed to completely ignore it all. Haven't even seen a picture of their celebrations.

Bojan11

It’s classic little club syndrome

I could be wrong but I don’t think they have the squad or the financial results to hold off the 2 Manchester clubs & Chelsea for too long
They stopped spending. Eventually going to catch up with them. It did with us after Fergie left. They’d have a big drop once Klopp leaves.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They stopped spending. Eventually going to catch up with them. It did with us after Fergie left. They’d have a big drop once Klopp leaves.
Yeah, my hope is next season history repeats itself and we see Dortmund meltdown 2.0.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
True enough. I well remember how we refrained from celebrating at all in 93. My Liverpool supporting mates will back up my memory of my dignified refusal to even mention the subject in their company. You can't buy class.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So maybe 3-4 more years as we await their near perfectly aged squad "Getting knackered", or "dropping off" or any such ultra wishful thinking.

The only thing to do is for us to rise to the challenge. Like we did against Chelsea in their buying the league days, or City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You've lost the plot. We are rent free in their heads, just enjoy that when we ruin their party in the next couple of seasons.
This "rent free" business is so irritating. Both sides are constantly claiming that the other is always on about them, "rent free" in their heads etc

Bojan11

So maybe 3-4 more years as we await their near perfectly aged squad "Getting knackered", or "dropping off" or any such ultra wishful thinking.

The only thing to do is for us to rise to the challenge. Like we did against Chelsea in their buying the league days, or City.
Where did I say anything about waiting?

I just said as they not spending whilst on top which we did under Fergie before 2009 that there’s a risk they will face the same problems as us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where did I say anything about waiting?

I just said as they not spending whilst on top which we did under Fergie before 2009 that there’s a risk they will face the same problems as us.
They didn't spend anything, and managed to top even their fantastic previous season.
So i'm not sure we can even cling to the not spending thing. Also the summer spend period hasn't even begun yet to see.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck Liverpool and City. I’d happily see them both liquidated. Wouldn’t miss either.

Oh and feck Leeds too. Liquidate them while you’re at it.

Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs can stay for now. Leicester’s liquidation status depends heavily on Sunday’s result.

Maluco

Honestly have a think. Why do you care?
I wouldn’t say I care. I mean, I live in one of the areas worst hit by COVID and where a lot of people I know are really struggling. It isn’t a massive concern of mine.

I was more a “hats off to them” type of guy, pleased they beat City, until I saw the state of the celebrations.

So it was more just a “why is this being painted as the biggest thing to ever happen in football” post. It was more baffled than anything else.

Completely OTT.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This "rent free" business is so irritating. Both sides are constantly claiming that the other is always on about them, "rent free" in their heads etc
It's the most annoying phrase, in general. All social media is littered with it the moment anyone mentions something about a team they don't support.

Similar is on display in that James Milner thread. There's a desperation for our rivals to be "obsessed" with us, as if we don't pay equal attention to our rivals. And that's not exclusive to us, all fans seem to do it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's the most annoying phrase, in general. All social media is littered with it the moment anyone mentions something about a team they don't support.

Similar is on display in that James Milner thread. There's a desperation for our rivals to be "obsessed" with us, as if we don't pay equal attention to our rivals. And that's not exclusive to us, all fans seem to do it.
These things go in spells don't they.

Teams losing a goal had been "found out", or a team who looked favourites, even slight favourites for something not winning a game had "bottled it".

Then any comment defending something meant you were "butt-hurt", arguably the worst import from the US into our magnificent language.
And finally "rent-free"

I'd ban anyone using any of these phrases, and force them to watch a looped video of "Hendo" lifting various trophies.

Bojan11

They didn't spend anything, and managed to top even their fantastic previous season.
So i'm not sure we can even cling to the not spending thing. Also the summer spend period hasn't even begun yet to see.
Yes and we barely spent anything after 2009 besides RVP yet won leagues. But once all our top players got older where they couldn’t play consistently, we had a massive decline. It’s because we refused to spend money

You spend whilst you on top. They been very fortunate also with injuries. Their front three have barely been injured. They wanted Werner but were priced out.

Do you really think they gonna be performing like this for the next three years? No they will have a massive drop off unless they start replacing some of their starting 11. Fergie was a master of this.

Zen86

Two words mate, media blackout. Standard fare for things like this is avoid social media and the news. Between that and working from home, I’ve barely noticed them winning the league :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes and we barely spent anything after 2009 besides RVP yet won leagues. But once all our top players got older where they couldn’t play consistently, we had a massive decline. It’s because we refused to spend money

You spend whilst you on top. They been very fortunate also with injuries. Their front three have barely been injured. They wanted Werner but were priced out.

Do you really think they gonna be performing like this for the next three years? No they will have a massive drop off unless they start replacing some of their starting 11. Fergie was a master of this.
Let's really, really hope they drop off very soon!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Bar the usual tat in the odd instagram post i’ve seen nothing.

I don’t know why anyone watches the likes of bt/sky sports for anything bar the actual games. Don’t do it to yourself.
This is what I think, I’ve avoided all the sky and Bt sports about it. Scroll past the rest. And thank feck for that after reading the op

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

I haven't seen anything of these celebrations. It's nothing to do with me and I'm not interested.

A Liverpool fan at work brought cakes in to celebrate, I happened to be working from home that day. I sent him an email asking him to throw my piece straight in the bin.

BlueHaze

Dude you are taking this way too serious it's just a shit club who have won their 1st league title in 3 decades leave it be and stop paying attention to what their daft cretin fans are doing. Sadly as long as klopp is there we are going to have to witness them winning more titles but feck it's going to be so fun to see how hard they will fall when he goes.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
You're doing something wrong. Two words for you: Media Blackout. I have not seen any of it. And I live about 30 mins from Anfield!

I shudder to think of the press the media darlings are getting. Ollie Holt and Henry Winter must have wanked themselves silly.