I hope the suspension doesn't derail our momentum

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've been fantastic recently, everybody looks fit and firing.

Goals all over the team, confidence soaring and I don't think we fear anybody right now.

If the season is going to be delayed almost a month it might fizzle out. I hope we can come back in the same form, i'm certain we were about to finish the season strongly which would have set us up for a fantastic start next year.

I wonder if the players will be allowed to actually train in this period?

cyril C

We've been fantastic recently, everybody looks fit and firing.

Goals all over the team, confidence soaring and I don't think we fear anybody right now.

If the season is going to be delayed almost a month it might fizzle out. I hope we can come back in the same form, i'm certain we were about to finish the season strongly which would have set us up for a fantastic start next year.

I wonder if the players will be allowed to actually train in this period?
Initially I would love to see us through the Spur game, as we have a much better chance, compared with May for example after Kane return. But anyway...

AshRK

I don't think it will. In fact every time after the long break we tend to do well. It's when the games come thick and fast we drop more points.

LInkash

Having Rashford and Pogba back will hopefully offset any lost momentum. Having Bruno feed Rashford and doubling the creativity in midfield with Pogba, it will be a sight to behold if the season does continue in the summer.

Zlatattack

I think we'll be okay. Will defo have Pogba back, maybe even Rashford? Even if not - the current lot will have been training together a lot more, ironed out loads of issues, lot more familiar with each other.

GazTheLegend

Sort of feel like this might actually mean Rashford and Pogba get an actual rest!!!

Not afraid of Spurs with or without Kane

flappyjay

If it resumes In a couple months time we will be stronger with the return of Pogba and Rashford

RedCurry

It most certainly will have a negative impact on us. We were primed to go, our players were coming back and had all the momentum. Now other teams can regroup and reach closer to our levels over the next one month. But honestly, postponing the season was the right thing to do. It should've been earlier.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Momentum can be regained. Remember every team will be in the same boat.

The most encouraging thing is that you can see the different parts of the team starting to click after the arrival of Bruno and Ighalo. That will still be there, and who knows if the players are able to train regularly together during this suspension, it may improve further.

macheda14

Well I wonder if players are going to be able to train? Like right now you have entire squads self isolating, if one member of our squad or staff gets corona then that’s everyone home for two weeks. However, if we somehow miraculously don’t allow it into Carrington and other teams do, we could be that extra bit fitter.

spiriticon

I've been thinking..

If a lockdown is initiated for 2 months won't all the players lose their match fitness?

If the league is restarted in June/July, the matches will be pretty horrid to watch. It'll be preseason standard

TheLord

Teams with the most injuries to key players should theoretically benefit because of the break.
Interestingly that includes all three top teams vying for the final European spot - United, Chelsea and Tottenham. Rashford, Pogba, Kovacic, Kante, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Kane, Son.

Reactions: 711

Ace of Spades

I don't think it will. The biggest problem was injuries, and now that we got players back we are seeing improvements.

Morpheus 7

Just like the break benefited us in the last break, it obviously will. A depleted Spurs behind closed doors, compared to a full stadium with players back. It's a shame, any advantage at this stage you take. If we got this game played this weekend I'd be confident of 4th, no chance Spurs were getting anything. Giving Jose a month to prepare tactically. Football is fine margins, 4th will be close and momentum is huge.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I've been thinking..

If a lockdown is initiated for 2 months won't all the players lose their match fitness?

If the league is restarted in June/July, the matches will be pretty horrid to watch. It'll be preseason standard
‘What have I told you about thinking?’

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fred or Bruno getting the virus would have derailed the season. This is the least of the worries.
It's.... still possible they'll get the virus now you know?

Now they'll lose peak match fitness and be more injury prone.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It can and probably will but it's going to hit all teams the same. Plus, we can beat any team in this league with Rashford and Pogba back.

Teja

Eh we'll be fine, we'll have Rashford and Pogba back because of this. Spurs will benefit too, so there's that.

Betson

I understand the decision to postpone games and I agree with it , bigger things in life than football.

But yes it is very disappointing that just when he were getting some momentum going and we were actually looking forward to our matches again we have this enforced break , which could be a lot more than a few weeks.

But as others have said it does give us time to get a few of the injured lads back.

wrinklydong

I read that China is seeing a huge spike in divorce cases because couples are spending too much time together in quarantine. Will be hilarious if Jose's team implodes before we play them.

DevilRed

The only silver lining is that we might get Pogba back fitter. Maybe even Rashford at some point towards the end?

However, I think people are overlooking a very key issue. The league may not restart in time. We are only in the very very very early stages of this pandemic/crises. Especially in the UK where everyone is still very lackadaisical.

I haven't seen people wearing masks. I haven't seen the mad rush for hospital tests and treatment. Its inevitable that the UK will eventually be in the same situation as Italy within a few weeks time.

The chance of the league continuing is slim to none, unless they are willing to put peoples health at risk. Lets not forget that recovering from this virus takes a few weeks minimum. Even then, there are chances you can get reinfected.

Lynty

The only silver lining is that we might get Pogba back fitter. Maybe even Rashford at some point towards the end?

However, I think people are overlooking a very key issue. The league may not restart in time. We are only in the very very very early stages of this pandemic/crises. Especially in the UK where everyone is still very lackadaisical.

I haven't seen people wearing masks. I haven't seen the mad rush for hospital tests and treatment. Its inevitable that the UK will eventually be in the same situation as Italy within a few weeks time.

The chance of the league continuing is slim to none, unless they are willing to put peoples health at risk. Lets not forget that recovering from this virus takes a few weeks minimum. Even then, there are chances you can get reinfected.
Masks don't work. They're given to infected patients to keep their mucus to themselves, and healthcare professionals have special sealed masks that aren't available to the public.

UK won't be testing people any longer.

The plan is to let to go like Italy, except not all at once. The government want to control the when the peak happens (estimated to be early June) when the NHS has most capacity. They are gearing up Primary Care, slowing the spread but ultimately they are going to let it run it's course well before next winter.

There's literally a debate raging over the plan, as we're the only nation worldwide who are doing it this way. Hold tight.

OT: I think we'll come back stronger. Fully fit players, more time to get tactics nailed on. I expect we'll play a number of unofficial games behind closed doors to keep match sharpness.

DevilRed

Masks don't work. They're given to infected patients to keep their mucus to themselves, and healthcare professionals have special sealed masks that aren't available to the public.

UK won't be testing people any longer.

The plan is to let to go like Italy, except not all at once. The government want to control the when the peak happens (estimated to be early June) when the NHS has most capacity. They are gearing up Primary Care, slowing the spread but ultimately they are going to let it run it's course well before next winter.

There's literally a debate raging over the plan, as we're the only nation worldwide who are doing it this way. Hold tight.

OT: I think we'll come back stronger. Fully fit players, more time to get tactics nailed on. I expect we'll play a number of unofficial games behind closed doors to keep match sharpness.
I wouldn't be so quick to say masks don't work. The relatively low infection rates in certain Asian countries (Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore) are all due to the population responding very very quickly and taking all the necessary precautions to prevent community spread. That includes wearing masks, having hand sanitizers, avoiding public gatherings, work from home etc. Lets not forget a place like Hong Kong BORDERS with China and they never even closed off travel entirely. Its a population of 7.3m people so comparable to London but in a much much smaller area, yet they have only 130 or so cases.

As is the case now, the west is slow to react and hence you have Italy, Spain and soon France, Germany UK etc. with an almost uncontrollable situation.

Not sure why the UK won't be testing people. I mean do we wait till people start fainting on the streets or the hospital ERs become so packed that they can't handle all the patients.

This doesn't go away just because you fake the statistics. Its not something that can be suppressed as the US has found out.

I for one hope it doesn't pan out this way, but Europe is obviously on the verge of a state of crisis if not already. Its very difficult to stamp it out once the infection rates skyrocket and community spread takes over.

I hope we come back stronger and what not, but at this stage are the teams even going to gather and train? Players and staff are being infected! Its not exactly a time for close contact is it?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I wouldn't be so quick to say masks don't work. The relatively low infection rates in certain Asian countries (Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore) are all due to the population responding very very quickly and taking all the necessary precautions to prevent community spread. That includes wearing masks, having hand sanitizers, avoiding public gatherings, work from home etc. Lets not forget a place like Hong Kong BORDERS with China and they never even closed off travel entirely. Its a population of 7.3m people so comparable to London but in a much much smaller area, yet they have only 130 or so cases.

As is the case now, the west is slow to react and hence you have Italy, Spain and soon France, Germany UK etc. with an almost uncontrollable situation.

Not sure why the UK won't be testing people. I mean do we wait till people start fainting on the streets or the hospital ERs become so packed that they can't handle all the patients.

This doesn't go away just because you fake the statistics. Its not something that can be suppressed as the US has found out.

I for one hope it doesn't pan out this way, but Europe is obviously on the verge of a state of crisis if not already. Its very difficult to stamp it out once the infection rates skyrocket and community spread takes over.

I hope we come back stronger and what not, but at this stage are the teams even going to gather and train? Players and staff are being infected! Its not exactly a time for close contact is it?
I think it was the fact Hong Kong and Singapore had an immediate plan, there was no fecking about with stages of control so as you say all the small things at once do help but mostly the working from him and avoiding social gatherings. Also the checks at airports easily showed who had a fever.

Europe is to far gone to try and control the out break, look at Italy, they have been locked down for a few days and in the last 2 days they have 3000 new cases.

Jericholyte2

I’d imagine that as long as the squad remains symptom-free and don’t end up isolating I think this could be good as it gives people more time to recover from knocks and injury and also gives Bruno and Ighalo even more time to get acclimatised to United with more squad work.

DevilRed

I think it was the fact Hong Kong and Singapore had an immediate plan, there was no fecking about with stages of control so as you say all the small things at once do help but mostly the working from him and avoiding social gatherings. Also the checks at airports easily showed who had a fever.

Europe is to far gone to try and control the out break, look at Italy, they have been locked down for a few days and in the last 2 days they have 3000 new cases.
Its just so stupid and avoidable.

We're talking about the loss of human lives too. You've got boris addressing the nation and telling them they are going to lose loved ones :lol: What kind of fecking leadership is that?

I really feel for those that lose loved ones in this tragedy. Clearly down to incompetency in the government and general public attitude.

Falcow

Not sure about us but liverpool have absolutely nothing to gain from this. League is won anyway so no benefits there. Out of all cups (behold) so absaloutely nothing for them to gain.

At least we should heve Pogba and Rashford back, we will still have the confidence and belief that has been building recently. Hopefully we dont lose the momentum. Good times ahead for united I feel, huge rebuilding for city in next couple of seasons and I think some significant tweaks also required for liverpool - burnout, player contracts, lack of depth, recent under investment and general staleness/fatigue are all issues facing liverpool.

Lynty

Asia has a history with dealing this kind of virus. They understand the hygiene rules better than European countries and follow strictly. e.g. spitting on the floor, keeping used tissues, shaking hands, rubbing eyes, not covering coughs are all common behavior in the UK. I've sat my desk at work (NHS Primary Care) and found myself in deep concentration resting my mouth in my hand, it's a hard habit to break even though we've had guidance to reduce hand and face contact.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-face-masks-not-entirely-effective-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

We are stopping testing people because it's pointless (we are no longer advising to call 111). What are we going to do with the people we tested? We don't have the man power to enforce quarantine, it's estimated that 5,000-10,000 people have coronavirus in the UK. Instead, we have to hope people follow the guidance and self isolate when you:

- have a high temperature
- have continuous cough

We've conceded defeat in contain. It's delay now. You're likely to get ill at some point, we just want to slow the process so that it doesn't destroy the NHS or the economy.

3KDré

Initially I would love to see us through the Spur game, as we have a much better chance, compared with May for example after Kane return. But anyway...
I can't remember the last time Kane had a good game against us.

Le Red

I've been thinking..

It's not like they would be on their sofa eating Cheetos all day long.

spiriticon

It's not like they would be on their sofa eating Cheetos all day long.
Well if a UK state of emergency is declared and everything is shut down, there's not really much left to do...

Bring on the Cheetos