I just took a look at the table...

slyadams

I was looking at the league last night and was pretty surprised that we were soo high and Arsenal were so low (considering the collective praise Arteta is getting). The concern I have is that if Bruno gets injured, we could be totally screwed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I was looking at the league last night and was pretty surprised that we were soo high and Arsenal were so low (considering the collective praise Arteta is getting). The concern I have is that if Bruno gets injured, we could be totally screwed.
We have options if he does. Pogba can come back in. VDB can play as the 8/10.

Obviously lets hope he doesn't get injured though. He's probably best player in league right now.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Frustrating to imagine where we might be if a CB & RW had been signed... :rolleyes:
But it's going to be a very weird season, where anything could happen.
I would rather have a RW & DM.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My goal for the season has not changed. I would like us to be in the title race until March 1.

Gator Nate

There's plenty of criticism aimed at Arteta these days. Not sure it's entirely fair, but he's not walking on water any more.

mancave bear

It’s a shame we did not get a proper preseason, but neither did city. If we keep winning, like we normally do after Bruno arrived, everything is possible. We might even push for the title. It’s not lost until its lost : )

Cliche Guevara

There’s no reason why Manchester United shouldn’t be in a position to win the title these days. No reason at all.

In fact a title challenge should be expected.

Will Singh

I think this season everyone has been bad so to look at it at another angle we are 9th in a league where everyone has been crap!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think this season everyone has been bad so to look at it at another angle we are 9th in a league where everyone has been crap!
That doesn't really take into account the fact that we have a game in hand though.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
With the form of the teams around us, and with the squad we have at our disposal, we should be much closer to the top than last year.

If we are still within touching distance by February or so, then we can start thinking about it,

kidbob

We somehow need to get Martial, Rashford, Greenwood back to scoring ways and hopefully have a motivated Pogba with us then we can definitely kick on. But one step at a time. Get points of PSG and qualify to the KO round first. It will be a huge morale boosting thing.
This is really it for how our season goes. We are where we are without 4-5 of our most important, on paper, players firing yet. We've seen last season that Greenwood, Rashford and Martial can be as devastating as most other forward lines in the World and produce similar numbers. If, and its a big if, we can get that forward line back to the same level in the coming weeks for the rest of the season then anythings possible to be honest. The positive from this is that we know that they can do it so its certainly not blind hope on the matter. An in form Pogba is probably more bordering on hope these days but again he is absolutely capable of hitting form and propelling us even further too.

Thaila-X

The league is so interesting this year, it's wide open and I can't see any one team being able to run away with the league this year. I think we've been wildly inconsistent so far but most teams have been patchy so far. We're certainly capable of putting a run together and being right up there challenging.

cyril C

The level of standard of this season is poor. Previously, an average of 2 points per game only get you top 4, you need somewhere close to 2.5 points to be at the top. Any team capable of winning 3-5 straight win would probably push you right through the roof, but then which team is consistent enough to win consistently?

Grande

The level of standard of this season is poor. Previously, an average of 2 points per game only get you top 4, you need somewhere close to 2.5 points to be at the top. Any team capable of winning 3-5 straight win would probably push you right through the roof, but then which team is consistent enough to win consistently?
All teams in the world are terribly bad. No, just joking. Everyone taking points from everyone is often seen as a the opposite - a proof of the high standards of a league. If it matches the context. Which we know it does, with PL relegation fodder having more money than Europa league teams from Italy, with Ancelotti at Everton, Mourinho at Spurs, Mendes at Wolves, Bielsa at Leeds, and Guardiola in mid table. We know English football is at a high with three of the CL semifinalists last time covid didn’t run the play-offs. So the top teams having to fight for their points every game makes sense. A lot more sense than City and Pool getting 100 points a year, now that didn’t make sense at all, PEDs or no PEDs.

Web of Bissaka

Aye, here's a list of the best performing clubs from Bundesliga, Premier League, La Liga and Serie A since lockdown. We have the highest points per game in the Premier League. Pretty impressive i'd say.
Club​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
Win %​
Pts Per Game​
Bayern Munich​
18​
16​
1​
1​
88.90%​
2.72​
AC Milan​
21​
16​
5​
0​
76.20%​
2.52​
Atlético Madrid​
20​
14​
6​
0​
70.00%​
2.40​
Real Madrid​
21​
15​
3​
3​
71.40%​
2.29​
Inter Milan​
22​
13​
7​
2​
59.10%​
2.09​
Manchester United​
18​
11​
4​
3​
61.10%​
2.06​
Manchester City​
19​
12​
3​
4​
63.20%​
2.05​
Tottenham Hotspur​
19​
11​
6​
2​
57.90%​
2.05​
Borussia Dortmund​
18​
12​
0​
6​
66.70%​
2.00​
AS Roma​
21​
13​
3​
5​
61.90%​
2.00​
Atalanta BC​
22​
13​
5​
4​
59.10%​
2.00​
Liverpool FC​
19​
11​
5​
3​
57.90%​
2.00​
RB Leipzig​
18​
10​
6​
2​
55.60%​
2.00​
SSC Napoli​
21​
13​
2​
6​
61.90%​
1.95​
Sevilla FC​
20​
11​
6​
3​
55.00%​
1.95​
Very interesting. Cheers.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
This thread made me think about the league table since the return of football in June (17 June - 4 December).

We'd be at the top (winning our game in hand), but look how poor our home form is (and how amazing the away one is) - we seem to be affected most by no fans at home, but we take advantage of that away from Old Trafford.

Weird and makes me only dreaming how beatuiful it would have been, hadn't we lost some of the games at home.

Last edited:

NJM78

Everyone doing pretty shit and we are still in 9th. That is all the information I need to show how bang average we are.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Everyone doing pretty shit and we are still in 9th. That is all the information I need to show how bang average we are.
You've clearly done your homework here. 'Bang Average' it is then

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we should challenge for the title this season. No reason not to. There can't be excuses.

izec

This thread made me think about the league table since the return of football in June (17 June - 4 December).

We'd be at the top (winning our game in hand), but look how poor our home form is (and how amazing the away one is) - we seem to be affected most by no fans at home, but we take advantage of that away from Old Trafford.

Weird and makes me only dreaming how beatuiful it would have been, hadn't we lost some of the games at home.

We have been pretty bad at home for a long time. I dont remember us being consistently good since Fergie, maybe one season under Jose.

Patchbeard

Despite the fact that so many games have been emotionally draining and have felt very unlucky at times this season, we're probably about where we deserve to be right now. The home defeats to Palace and Arsenal were gutting, draw with Chelsea was frustrating, defeat to Spurs was horrible, but we've had some last minute saviours away from home at Brighton and Southampton.

We're lucky to still not be far off top (despite being 9th!) but we need to get our act together consistently, because someone else is bound to at some point. And I can't keep dealing with all these emotional rollercoasters every weekend!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Need two of the forwards other than Bruno to catch form. Last season's restart was so successful because all three of Martial, Rashford and Greenwood were on fire at the same time.

K Stand Knut

There’s no reason why Manchester United shouldn’t be in a position to win the title these days. No reason at all.

In fact a title challenge should be expected.
It’s this level of thinking that really gets on my wick.

No United fan should EXPECT a title challenge. IMO, if you do, you’re in for a disappointing season and will be calling for Ole’s head sooner or later but probably the former.

We were so far behind Liverpool and city last season and no matter what anyone says, the summer signings were no where best enough to close that gap to a title challenge.

Now, this season is somewhat bonkers and a real title challenge might come to fruition if we can be less inconsistent than everyone else but I doubt that will happen.

I think closing the gap further to the top 2 and continued progress in cup competitions is much more realistic.

RashyForPM

I think Chelsea will win it personally. The plausible two months or so of them having fans at SB while not having to face fired-up crowds at most away stadiums will make such a massive difference that I can’t even stress what a massive advantage it is for them. For one, in less glamorous home games, their players actually have 2000 people to play for and to now. Top that off with their fantastic form, brilliant goalkeeper and defence, good midfield and striker and fantastic depth (Giroud is 3rd choice striker ffs), and they are the main candidates imo. Spurs are very good too and largely kept Chelsea at bay last week, and will have the massive advantage of the 2000 fans just like Chelsea. However, one freak injury to Lloris (obviously hope that doesn’t happen), and they’re screwed. League 1 level keeper Hart comes in.

For me, the top half of the table ends something like this:

1) Chelsea 87
2) Liverpool 84
3) City 80
4) Spurs 80
5) United 77
6) Wolves 67
7) Leicester 65
8) West Ham 60
9) Southampton 60
10) Leeds 58

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'd maybe argue that it's not been crap exactly but that some teams (Villa, Leeds, Southampton, Wolves) have had patches/results that were unexpected and not collapsed against City, Liverpool. This has flattened out the league and juggled the 'usual order' a bit. Think the league's all the better for it.

We also have a game in hand ... so do City and Villa.

wolvored

During our bad run, Scholes said that we have good players and will go on a winning run and scrape 4th and probably make a few semi finals
Wow Scholes really pushed the boat out there. What an exciting time to look forward to. No disrespect to you poster.

Footy van de Geek

I'm obviously a glass half full type compared to the OP, as I'm worried about all of our games (bar Sheffield Utd) this month.

wolvored

I think the opposite. I think i proves the fans dont make a jot of difference to how you play, otherwise the form home and away would be similar since lockdown. Perhps its the preperation that makes a difference. The players spend more time together prior to an away match than they do at home. A few seasons ago one team who were going through the same predicament, sorry cant remember who, started going to an hotel miles away before a game the night before and having the coach ride back in on match day and it improved their home form.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think we should challenge for the title this season. No reason not to. There can't be excuses.
I just don't see a win at all cost mentality in the likes of Rashy, Martial and Greenwood to consistently get us over the line. They don't have that flat track bully ability to take games by the scruff of the neck. If we get an early lead these players don't have an urgency and determination to put the game to bed before half time. All our five wins have either been draws or one goal leads going into the final 10 minutes. We're being forced to keep the likes of Bruno and Rashy out there for 90 minutes every time with the games coming thick and fast. Not only are our most important players accumulating both mental and physical fatigue but it isn't the most sustainable way of getting wins either. The opponent is always within touching distance if there's only one goal separating the teams.

Hoping Cavani can be that bully and that VDB gets regular starts so we can have natural attacking intent from midfield. In this congested season it would make us a serious contender if we could regularly do what we were doing post lockdown, comfortable 3 goal leads by the hour mark and then rest the important players.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We have to win it first and being as bang average as we are I'm not so confident we will.
The game in hand is against Burnley. Its nice that average clubs are on point paces for title challenges I guess?

NJM78

The game in hand is against Burnley. Its nice that average clubs are on point paces for title challenges I guess?
If a team is playing shit and needs a boost, 9/10 playing Utd gives it to them. At least it is a way from home I guess.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not exactly. All we want to see a consistent performance through out. I am okay if we lose but just show that improvement and mentality on the pitch. We are way too inconsistent now and we just don't know what can we expect.

PSG was a great game . While I am annoyed that we lost, it was a good performance.

DickDastardly

I just don't see a win at all cost mentality in the likes of Rashy, Martial and Greenwood to consistently get us over the line. They don't have that flat track bully ability to take games by the scruff of the neck. If we get an early lead these players don't have an urgency and determination to put the game to bed before half time. All our five wins have either been draws or one goal leads going into the final 10 minutes. We're being forced to keep the likes of Bruno and Rashy out there for 90 minutes every time with the games coming thick and fast. Not only are our most important players accumulating both mental and physical fatigue but it isn't the most sustainable way of getting wins either. The opponent is always within touching distance if there's only one goal separating the teams.

Hoping Cavani can be that bully and that VDB gets regular starts so we can have natural attacking intent from midfield. In this congested season it would make us a serious contender if we could regularly do what we were doing post lockdown, comfortable 3 goal leads by the hour mark and then rest the important players.
Agree completely.

This team still has a lot to learn, mostly in the "control the game" department.
Bruno is still too wild sometimes, trying to force it too often. Reminds me of a young Ronaldo, head on through walls.

Also we need some street smart players like Ander. Thought of him after the game. Time waster.
He's a real fecking bastard. Street smart. Hit him on the head with a hammer kind of a guy.

We don't have that, and we could use it sometimes to slow the tempo down, drag out the last 5 mins of the half, getting the opposition flat out on their feet.

There is always a sense of urgency in teams playing against us. Like we always have to hold on to our hats.

Ole needs to teach them some in-game time management. When to press, when to hold, when to waste time.
We need to give ourselves some room to breathe, the games are coming hard and fast, i'm afraid we're gonna crash and burn if we play all our games
so mentally and physically exhausting.

Green_Red

I like how everyone are so pessimistic about this and yet the best team in the premier league overall since 01.01.2020 is Manchester United.

Hire Poch
Sack Giggs, give it to Bruno til the end of the season!

Plymouth Red

When I look back at our most successful teams, there was always a proper hard edge to them. Bruce and Pallister could put opposition forward in their place. Cantona could do the same to their defenders. Neville, Keane, Scholes, Heinze, Stam, Rooney, Ruud, Hughes, Irwin, Butt, Vidic, Rio. All of these were uncompromising and determined winners and there were more besides. In many ways they mirrored SAF.

In the past couple of years, we have not had such a hard edge or mindset and consequently, other teams are able to play their normal game against us without really being knocked out of their stride.

I'd welcome more of Cavani and Bruno's aggression in the squad. We lost a fighter when Herrera left and today, there doesn't seem to be much appetite for a scrap in the squad generally. Bailly takes no prisoners but he's not reliable.

Please Santa, can we have some proper warriors again?

Cliche Guevara

It’s this level of thinking that really gets on my wick.

No United fan should EXPECT a title challenge. IMO, if you do, you’re in for a disappointing season and will be calling for Ole’s head sooner or later but probably the former.

We were so far behind Liverpool and city last season and no matter what anyone says, the summer signings were no where best enough to close that gap to a title challenge.

Now, this season is somewhat bonkers and a real title challenge might come to fruition if we can be less inconsistent than everyone else but I doubt that will happen.

I think closing the gap further to the top 2 and continued progress in cup competitions is much more realistic.
We’re the richest club in the world. There should be nothing holding us back from a title challenge.

Manchester United supporters are entitled to expect that with all the resources at the club’s disposal we are sufficiently competitive.

If everyone at the club is doing their jobs correctly then United will always make a title challenge. Anything less is sub-standard and the fans shouldn’t be expected to simply accept that. A failure to challenge is now the norm which should not need to be the case.

I think you have misjudged my post.