Television I May Destroy You

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
BBC drama getting rave reviews everywhere. It’s on iPlayer. Anyone watching it?

It’s kind of weird but kind of good. Really original. Hard to think of anything to compare it to. Doubt I would have watched it if the other half hadn’t insisted but glad I did. Recommended.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Is it about Mourinho's career with Spurs?

Suedesi

It’s kind of weird but kind of good. Really original. Hard to think of anything to compare it to. Doubt I would have watched it if the other half hadn’t insisted but glad I did. Recommended.
My other half watches it so I do too. Kind of weird but kind of good is perfectly put.

Neo_Mufc

I completed the series on Monday. Brilliant watch.

I watched this after Normal People and much rather recommend this (not that the 2 are to be compared).

Don't want to spoil anything but I didn't quite understand the last episode though. I think I might need to re-watch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I completed the series on Monday. Brilliant watch.

I watched this after Normal People and much rather recommend this (not that the 2 are to be compared).

Don't want to spoil anything but I didn't quite understand the last episode though. I think I might need to re-watch.
I’ve found a few episodes quite hard to follow. I’ve obviously been out of London too long. I struggled with the accents!

It gives a great sense of London though. Really brought me back there. Normal People had a similar effect, with lots of scenes set in my old university. The similarity ended there though. Completely different shows. This one is so much more quirky and off-beat.

Neo_Mufc

I’ve found a few episodes quite hard to follow. I’ve obviously been out of London too long. I struggled with the accents!

It gives a great sense of London though. Really brought me back there. Normal People had a similar effect, with lots of scenes set in my old university. The similarity ended there though. Completely different shows. This one is so much more quirky and off-beat.
What I enjoyed the most is that within 12 episodes the program was able to encapsulate so many issues
rape, racism, social media addiction, drugs, loneliness et al

The soundtrack was awesome too.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Really smart and unusual TV. I will say I was a bit negative after the first episode - I suppose I'd have compared it to Fleabag but without the character warmth at that stage.

It was still compelling enough to make me watch the second episode and from there I got steadily more hooked as the series went on. The supporting characters started to feel more real, as the central character's journey took her deeper into her own history and memories. All round a piece of smart TV on tough subjects, that manages to be entertaining and funny as well as troubling.

Roosney

It's quirky but in a good interesting way. Recommended.

My only beef with it is at times the main characters behave like they were teenagers on poppers.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Part way through and really enjoying it. I like that it's 30 minute episodes, there's no fat on it. The way it looks and moves is great and it has some very touching moments.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

For me I think it was mainly an age issue that didn't connect me to the characters straight away. Only 3 episodes in and not hooked yet but we will persevere.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Finally got round to finishing it. A smartly written affecting drama. The final episode was very fitting.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Could you dumb that final episode down for me? Because a lot of it went completely over my head!
If you mean the multiple scenarios, then they are simply the various fantasy outcomes played out, perhaps in the characters head or perhaps simply for the writer and audience to work through. These different versions, of the revenge, the police sting and the extreme empathy play up to typical drama expectations, cleverly highlighting why despite their narrative neatness they're unworkable and unrealistic.

The final and "real" scenario, in which she decides not to go and stake out the bar again, maybe introduces a narrative limbo but it seems the healthy option, one that allows the character to move forward with her life and represents a culmination of the growth we see throughout the series.

The more I think about it the more I think it's fecking brilliant. I had a few issues throughout the show, mostly around the self-absorption and excessive preening of the characters, but pretty much all my gripes were acknowledged and addressed later on in the show. It's almost like she was deliberately playing with my prejudice and expectations. I love that.

Ego-Death is a great name and the sort of hipster tag you'd expect in one of these trendy places. But in the last episode it suddenly has this tremendous significance.

I think the finale is supposed to be read fairly straightforwardly, despite the general TV/movie trends of increasingly complicated theorising and excessive non-linearity.

Though I could be wrong.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If you mean the multiple scenarios, then they are simply the various fantasy outcomes played out, perhaps in the characters head or perhaps simply for the writer and audience to work through. These different versions, of the revenge, the police sting and the extreme empathy play up to typical drama expectations, cleverly highlighting why despite their narrative neatness they're unworkable and unrealistic.

The final and "real" scenario, in which she decides not to go and stake out the bar again, maybe introduces a narrative limbo but it seems the healthy option, one that allows the character to move forward with her life and represents a culmination of the growth we see throughout the series.

The more I think about it the more I think it's fecking brilliant. I had a few issues throughout the show, mostly around the self-absorption and excessive preening of the characters, but pretty much all my gripes were acknowledged and addressed later on in the show. It's almost like she was deliberately playing with my prejudice and expectations. I love that.

Ego-Death is a great name and the sort of hipster tag you'd expect in one of these trendy places. But in the last episode it suddenly has this tremendous significance.

I think the finale is supposed to be read fairly straightforwardly, despite the general TV/movie trends of increasingly complicated theorising and excessive non-linearity.

Though I could be wrong.
Ok, cool. Thanks. That’s more or less the same conclusion I came to. Although some of the “fantasy” scenarios were weird as feck.

I agree with you about the way they toyed with us about her tendency to be annoying and self-absorbed, only to address that later in the show. That was very clever.

Dante

Average bang
Finally finished it. Thought it was decent.

Up until the last episode, it reminded me a lot of Atlanta: starting out with a regular plot then making numerous digressions into dramatic surrealism and high concept commentary about society.

Like everyone, I reckon the last episode was the most interesting. I'm not sure if I liked the path that Arabella finally chose, but I guess that's the writer's prerogative.

But I did really liked the way the show subverted the Magical Negro trope with Ben. Rather than having a wise, middle-aged black lady imparting wisdom, it was a vacuous white bloke tending an empty garden.

Could you dumb that final episode down for me? Because a lot of it went completely over my head!
Different ways to deal with the aftermath of the rape:

1. Revenge. But this path ended with a dead body under the bed (which is where Arabella told Zeyn she hides all her shame, regrets and fear, eg. the pics of the abortion). After the murder, when she jumped up on her bed to finish the story-board, every post-left a smudge of blood on the wall. Effectively, taking the route of vengeance was going to consume her and mark every chapter of the rest of her life.

2. Forgiveness. She sat down with David, understood him, empathised with him and forgave him. Only problem was that David was an irredeemable rapist, so it didn't achieve anything. Anyhow, the story-board she put up after the police left was the most detailed and rich of all the scenarios. This one might have been a commentary on the patriarchy rather than just the individual; not sure.

3. Rationalisation. Convincing herself that act of rape wasn't rape. It was actually just sex. She even 'shut the door' on the concept of rape down in the bathrooms. By flipping the script, she re-imagined her participation in the act as one of power rather then victimhood. Obviously, this is the sort of reframing you hear about most often in spousal rape. There was no story-board after this scenario, possibly because she'd given up her own agency.

4. Acceptance. Giving up on reccing Ego Death and moving with her life. Her A/X story was complete (both literally and narratively) and Arabella finally came to terms with the fact that she was a product of the light and dark of her experiences. She hadn't forgotten it, but she wasn't going to let it stop her from living life with her friends or pursuing professional success.

Actually, now that I've written out point 4, I'm finding the ending a lot more palatable.

Last edited: