I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was wondering how Jonathan Wilson would spin our win at the weekend into a negative, not even read the article yet (I'm anticipating the usual patronising bollocks from him) but the headline says it all:

No surprise Leeds lost to Manchester United, just look at the wage bills

Liverpool have second highest wage bill but as per the article.
Liverpool can perhaps challenge for the title this season, but their wage spending is 74% of that of United.

I was wondering how Jonathan Wilson would spin our win at the weekend into a negative, not even read the article yet (I'm anticipating the usual patronising bollocks from him) but the headline says it all:

It contains this gem of a quote - "Yet there was a weird strand of coverage that insisted Solskjær had somehow outwitted Bielsa".

How mad that after Solskjaer's team beat Bielsa's team people are saying that Ole won the tactical battle!

Though really I think Wilson is just in love with Bielsa and is trying and failing to come to terms with the fact that Ole has beaten the crap out of him twice now. Not ABU exactly, just wounded after having seen his one true love bitchslapped and left bleeding.

Withnail

It contains this gem of a quote - "Yet there was a weird strand of coverage that insisted Solskjær had somehow outwitted Bielsa".

How mad that after Solskjaer's team beat Bielsa's team people are saying that Ole won the tactical battle!

Though really I think Wilson is just in love with Bielsa and is trying and failing to come to terms with the fact that Ole has beaten the crap out of him twice now. Not ABU exactly, just wounded after having seen his one true love bitchslapped and left bleeding.
So he thinks Bielsa's suicidal tactics weren't the main reason we ripped them to bits two years in a row? :lol:

sugar_kane

Yeah apparently if your team is paid more you're not allowed to receive credit for beating a team who by all accounts are managed by a tactically astute coach.

I'm convinced the guy has to be either a City/Liverpool/Leeds fan and isn't professional enough to hide it, or is actually on the payroll of City whose arse he is more than willing to kiss on a weekly basis despite them being the ultimate money club.

Yeah apparently if your team is paid more you're not allowed to receive credit for beating a team who by all accounts are managed by a tactically astute coach.

I'm convinced the guy has to be either a City/Liverpool/Leeds fan and isn't professional enough to hide it, or is actually on the payroll of City whose arse he is more than willing to kiss on a weekly basis despite them being the ultimate money club.
In that article he even manages to work in the line that Man City "had kept their wage bill relatively low, although if they do add Harry Kane to Jack Grealish that would clearly change"!!

I mean, what??? On what planet do City deserve credit for how much they pay their players, while we need to have it explained to us that we only beat Leeds because of our wage bill?

Also he seems to have just chosen one wages calculator which proves his point, while ignoring others that show City outspending us on wages too. Shoddy journalism because he doesn't like Ole.

vodrake

Solskjaer is to Jonathan Wilson what Pogba is to Graeme Souness.

Fluctuation0161

He has probably enjoyed a few Manchester City journalistic benefits.

How can an article be so inaccurate accidentally.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Clowns like Jonathan Wilson, Michael Cox etc who think they are God's gift to analyzing football matches can't take it when Ole outwits their favourite managers. It's the same story whenever we've beaten City. They can't just say that Ole outwitted Pep there's always a million different reasons why City lost and then they give Ole some backhanded compliments.

Crustanoid

This. Jonathan Wilson is an absolute Grade A bellend with a much lower IQ than he tries to project. An imbecilic moron of a man, trying to make out he is some sort of erudite tactical scholar. All of this feebly trying to cover up a massive grudge he has with our club.

Knobhead

Oranges038

TWUNT.

Obviously they have a lower wage bill, they were only promoted last year.

Ole set Utd up perfectly to destroy Leeds. With the fans being back they also had that extra motivation to perform.

Bielsa set Leeds up the way he always does and they were brutally exposed at the back by simple passes through the middle time and time again. They will concede 4 or 5 a few times this season.

Red_Aaron

Far too many journos (and fans for that matter) went in too hard on Ole early on and now can't bring themselves to row it back and accept he's actually done a good job

They're scared it will show their so called expertise is nothing more than reactionary bollocks designed to garner clicks and feed their own egos

I want so bad for Ole to win big this year, serving them all the biggest shit sandwich they've ever had to stomach. It will be glorious

Fitchett

Far too many journos (and fans for that matter) went in too hard on Ole early on and now can't bring themselves to row it back and accept he's actually done a good job

They're scared it will show their so called expertise is nothing more than reactionary bollocks designed to garner clicks and feed their own egos

I want so bad for Ole to win big this year, serving them all the biggest shit sandwich they've ever had to stomach. It will be glorious
This.
Plus none of these so called experts predicted his appointment either, when Mourinho was sacked. Ole being successful makes them all look silly and they can't face up to it. Bunch of tossers!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How the hell do Liverpool have a higher wage bill than us for goodness sake?

Surely they haven't got anyone close to De Gea, Pogba type levels and we have the Lingard and Jones fringe players on ridiculous money.
Even Dan James was meant to be on 50k a week!

TrustInOle

Surely they haven't got anyone close to De Gea, Pogba type levels and we have the Lingard and Jones fringe players on ridiculous money.
Think it takes into account their pay rises and bonuses upon winning first the CL, then the PL.

Hughie77

Agree, the Bias is real, and from some quarters unbelievable, boarders on discrimination, I'm with you seriously hope Ole picks up some silverware.

sugar_kane

Yeah agreed on this, it's pretty bizarre. He's at least competing with Craig Burley for the title.

Have to agree with other posters that this is most likely a self-styled intellectual sports journalist having to double down on his Ole criticism rather than lose face, otherwise I can't explain it other than him just being blatantly biased against him.

Check out his back catalogue of articles on Ole compared to those on Pep, Klopp, and Bielsa

He's not completely averse to the occasional slightly critical piece on the latter three, but more often than not they are positive vs. the wall to wall dismissal of Ole for the past three years.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah agreed on this, it's pretty bizarre. He's at least competing with Craig Burley for the title.

Have to agree with other posters that this is most likely a self-styled intellectual sports journalist having to double down on his Ole criticism rather than lose face, otherwise I can't explain it other than him just being blatantly biased against him.

Check out his back catalogue of articles on Ole compared to those on Pep, Klopp, and Bielsa

He's not completely averse to the occasional slightly critical piece on the latter three, but more often than not they are positive vs. the wall to wall dismissal of Ole for the past three years.
Looks like he has to double down now after his overly critical articles on Ole not being the right man. Lack of professionalism.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Simon Jordan as well.

Crimson King

Wilson is just an arsehole. He writes all these books about footballing tactics to sound smart, but has obviously never kicked a ball in his life. He spends a lot of time talking about cricket whenever he's on the Football Weekly podcast, which tells you everything you need to know about how interesting a man he is...

Speaking of that podcast, during their review of the Leeds match one of their 'experts' mentioned how things might have been different if Philips had been playing instead of Koch. The same Philips substituted at HT in the same game last year, for being so shit. They'd all completely forgotten that. How convenient.

romufc

I find it bizzare how many journalists outside of the United ones dislike Ole.

I don't know where it stems from, he doesn't seem the type to have upset them.

Even ex-pros they seem to have an agenda against him.

Surely, they must be something wrong, Ole has managed to transform us from a toxic club where no player improved to one where he is getting Pogba to play, attracting Varane and Sancho?

it's not just the money that attracts these players, the manager has alot to do with it as well.

sugar_kane

Surely, they must be something wrong, Ole has managed to transform us from a toxic club where no player improved to one where he is getting Pogba to play, attracting Varane and Sancho?

it's not just the money that attracts these players, the manager has alot to do with it as well.
Given how likeable Ole is (even my dad likes him, who has been anti United his whole life) it's extra weird when certain journalists have nothing but vitriol for him, it suggests to me that we're on the right track with him.

justsomebloke

You anticipate correctly. The top sentence is this: Yet there was a weird strand of coverage that insisted Solskjær had somehow outwitted Bielsa, even in some quarters that Bielsa needed to be replaced if Leeds are to kick on. As if it was self-evidently ridiculous to suggest OGS got the better of Bielsa tactically just because we won 5-1. Just adds to his continuing insistence that the only tool in Uniteds box is the counterattack and that we can't break down deep block teams, despite the fact that we overwhelmingly win against teams who played that way, and as if we were still in the spring of 2019. He's not a bad writer generally, but he just seems to have a blank spot when it comes to United generally, and OGS specifically.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Outside of the matches, Ole gives very little for certain Journo's to write about, polar opposite to SAF, Jose and LVG.

Ole keeps everything calm and in-house. So, Journo's have to make another narrative to attack him with and that tends to be the continual belittling of his managerial credentials.

romufc

Given how likeable Ole is (even my dad likes him, who has been anti United his whole life) it's extra weird when certain journalists have nothing but vitriol for him, it suggests to me that we're on the right track with him.
Yep, I would love to see Ole get a trophy, it would shut alot of haters.

The weird thing I keep seing from certain United fans too.

If we win, its nothing to do with the manager, we have world class players so they do the job on the pitch.

When we lose or draw, 100% managers fault.

I have never grasped that theory tbh, it is the manager who is bringing these players to the club you know?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Jonathan WIlson simply doesn't rate Solskjaer. He believes Solskjaer is just copying Ferguson and seeing how far that will take him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jonathan WIlson simply doesn't rate Solskjaer. He believes Solskjaer is just copying Ferguson and seeing how far that will take him.
Because Jonathan Wilson is a pretentious cnut.

Hahaha I've just realised he's the one who wrote Inverting the Pyramid. Of course he hates Ole and his smiley disposition. I bet Ole hasn't even heard about the new xT stat that's going around?

Longshanks

I think its purely because most of them have constantly spouted about how rubbish Ole is and how he will obviously fail and be sacked and leave us in a mess.

There sticking to there guns hopeing for failure and any negative spin they can find they latch on to.

Would be good to see Ole win something big this season and ram all there words back down there throats.

Number32

In 2020, they have more players on big contract than ours after winning the league.
Lingard was on loan, and Jones probably has a special clause on his contract regarding his injury records.

Siorac

That Wilson article isn't even about Solskjaer, he mentions him what, twice? You lads in this thread have a well-developed persecution complex.

If anything, the most offending thing about that article is that it's a lot of words to state the bleeding obvious: money is generally the most important factor in footballing achievements. Everyone knows that by now.

justsomebloke

I'm fine with both journos and fans doubting if OGS is really a bona-fide, title-winning quality option as manager at a top club. Because he's not proven that he is, yet. As long as they also accept that he hasn't yet proven that he isn't. And as long as they stick to judging what he does fairly, as opposed to just squeezing the evidence into the mould of their own preconceptions.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That Wilson article isn't even about Solskjaer, he mentions him what, twice? You lads in this thread have a well-developed persecution complex.

If anything, the most offending thing about that article is that it's a lot of words to state the bleeding obvious: money is generally the most important factor in footballing achievements. Everyone knows that by now.
I think it is slightly amusing that he gets the Liverpool vs United wages thing wrong. However, the piece is clearly more about defending his idol Bielsa than anything else.

For a lot of football hipsters, of which Wilson clearly is one, Bielsa is like a prophet. A lone voice in a wilderness of direct, long ball football, preaching a message of tactical innovation and sophistication. Anything that takes the sheen off of him, like a 5-1 loss, must be explained away. Ole was, as you've pointed out, incidental to this story. This defence of Bielsa would've come regardless of who Leeds lost to.

crossy1686

career ending

They went in so hard and heavy when he was appointed about him being a joke, clueless, puppet appointment etc that they can't back down now, so they keep doubling down and looking more deluded by the month. When he win's a major trophy it will only be because of how much he's spent and then of course "anyone could have done it"

Zen86

They went in so hard and heavy when he was appointed about him being a joke, clueless, puppet appointment etc that they can't back down now, so they keep doubling down and looking more deluded by the month. When he win's a major trophy it will only be because of how much he's spent and then of course "anyone could have done it"
There’s also an element of high-brow hipsterism in it as well. Klopp, Pep, Bielsa etc are all geniuses, football is like a game of chess type nonsense. You’re not cool if aren’t vocal about committing yourself to a “philosophy” or have one tactic in football.

justsomebloke

Then you should probably read it again. Because why is United's win over Leeds the ONLY thing that allegedly proves this point, rather than, say, Chelsea's win over Crystal Palace (who I'd bet have a bigger wage differential than United and Leeds), or Liverpool's over Norwich? And would he describe it as outlandish to suggest Thomas Tuchel got the better of Patrick Vieira tactically?

Or maybe City's run of league titles would make for a better example of this than the result of an individual game? It is actually a very, very odd way to make the point he purports to make, since you could just as easily pick any number of individual games to prove the exact opposite. Starting with Spurs' win over City in the same round.

You're right that it's bleeding obvious that money is the basic thing separating big and successful teams from the rest. What is much more questionable is that it's the thing that explains the result of a given individual match. There are far too many examples of rich teams losing to poor teams for that to stand up to scrutiny. No matter how much money you have, the outcome of a match is never that simple and to beat a team as good as Leeds is never easy, for anyone. You only do it if you get a lot of things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.