ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

zing

Zingle balls
I just bought tickets for Pakistan vs SA in Chennai. Anyone else from on here planning to go for the matches?

The distribution of matches is strange. Some venues have amazing matches - Bangalore has excellent ones - whereas Delhi does not. Oddly, Dharamshala has better matches than Delhi.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think India and Pakistan have done quite well with the Asia Cup as a warm up almost for the World Cup.

The tournament though is way too long especially in the age of "too much cricket".

zing

Zingle balls
Is this the first time they're using this 1 group stage format @zing? Then straight to semis?

Will be interesting.
I’m not familiar with all of the World Cups. I was too young to see it but 1992 had the same format. Pakistan finished fourth and won the thing.

I have some/complete recollection of all subsequent world cups and none of them had this format. 2007 kind of had a similar format. It had a super 8 stage instead of quarter finals with round robin, followed by semis. The super 8 took a big hit when india and Pakistan didn’t qualify, knocked out by bangla and Ireland. But that was the first World Cup I watched fully and remember, and I still liked it a lot.

DevilsOwn

Got tickets for the nz vs south Africa game.

But overall, such a chaotic organisation wrt the ticket sales. How can anyone from outside India even plan a trip to watch the 'world' cup is beyond me!

zing

Zingle balls
Got tickets for the nz vs south Africa game.

But overall, such a chaotic organisation wrt the ticket sales. How can anyone from outside India even plan a trip to watch the 'world' cup is beyond me!
It was supposed to go on sale tomorrow, and they just randomly decided people with any mastercard can buy it today

Must be the worst organised world cup in any sport

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m not familiar with all of the World Cups. I was too young to see it but 1992 had the same format. Pakistan finished fourth and won the thing.

I have some/complete recollection of all subsequent world cups and none of them had this format. 2007 kind of had a similar format. It had a super 8 stage instead of quarter finals with round robin, followed by semis. The super 8 took a big hit when india and Pakistan didn’t qualify, knocked out by bangla and Ireland. But that was the first World Cup I watched fully and remember, and I still liked it a lot.
Aargh yeah, thanks. I know the super 8’s but I think, if memory serves, that this is the first time there’s only 1 pool, then straight to semis.

Let me go google it :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Aargh yeah, thanks. I know the super 8’s but I think, if memory serves, that this is the first time there’s only 1 pool, then straight to semis.

Let me go google it :lol:
Didn’t any of you watch the previous WC?!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I have had my eye on travelling to this for about a year but the BCCI decided to make it impossible, still have an outside chance of getting over as I might be in India late Sep anyway.

Dissapointed we didn't pick Brooks, we have a VERY experienced batting line up - but might lack a bit of star dust as the best of Butler, Roy and co is behind them.

Our spin options are ok though, and I'd expect us to make the semis.

MDFC Manager

It was supposed to go on sale tomorrow, and they just randomly decided people with any mastercard can buy it today

Must be the worst organised world cup in any sport
Expected when you've got an utterly unqualified imbecile in charge

zing

Zingle balls
Expected when you've got an utterly unqualified imbecile in charge
The strange thing is BCCI has this reputation as being the evil empire overlord(a number of it justified) but they actually do a pretty good job running lots of things cricket in India

The fan experience has always been bad but they've taken it to a whole new level this WC.

I just can't understand how people can sit around a table and decide "Alright we'll sell tickets for this world cup 40 days before the thing begins".

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The strange thing is BCCI has this reputation as being the evil empire overlord(a number of it justified) but they actually do a pretty good job running lots of things cricket in India

The fan experience has always been bad but they've taken it to a whole new level this WC.

I just can't understand how people can sit around a table and decide "Alright we'll sell tickets for this world cup 40 days before the thing begins".
Obviously the BCCI deserve all the stick they are getting - but it shows how pathetic the ICC are also, they have no authority over the dominant board.

zing

Zingle balls
Didn’t any of you watch the previous WC?!
I've just noticed from the other thread discussing Ingebrigsten that you're in Norway - how come you watch cricket?

Samid

I've just noticed from the other thread discussing Ingebrigsten that you're in Norway - how come you watch cricket?
Grandpa moved here in his teens from a cricketing country about 60 years ago.

What do you mean "how come you watch cricket"? We're ranked 45th in both cricket and football yet you're not asking me how come I watch football :nono:

Samid

How much will the pitches turn? Pakistan's pacers are ridiculous, should roll over most teams.

dpansheth

Warm up series are in progress across many nations.

Aus -India starts this week, England somehow decided that Ireland is better suited to prep. NZ playing in Bangladesh.

My picks are Aus, Eng, NZ & then India. With SA, SL being dark horses.

Firmly believe Pakistan's over-reliance on top 3 & lousy fielding will cost them.

zing

Zingle balls
India have never been better prepared for a World Cup.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Is this the first time they're using this 1 group stage format @zing? Then straight to semis?

Will be interesting.
1992 and also the last WC in 2019.

Personally I think it's the best format. Everyone plays against one another and you then go to the semis. Proper test of every teams ability.

One downside though is that you're then limited in the total teams and that is a loss for the associate teams.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
1992 and also the last WC in 2019.

Personally I think it's the best format. Everyone plays against one another and you then go to the semis. Proper test of every teams ability.

One downside though is that you're then limited in the total teams and that is a loss for the associate teams.
Gotcha, thanks Hasan.

Scottynaldinho

How come there's a cricket world cup every year?

On another note. I had an Indian friend and asked to order a thing online. He was so kind he told me you can use my cricket card. I took my coat and left.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How come there's a cricket world cup every year?

On another note. I had an Indian friend and asked to order a thing online. He was so kind he told me you can use my cricket card. I took my coat and left.
There are different formats with their own world cup. The world cups in previous two years (2022, 2021) were the T20 world cups, which take place more frequently (ever two years bar a gap of four years between 2016 and 2021) than the ODI World Cup (ever four years).

This year is the ODI world cup, which past took place in 2019. Next year we'll have another t20 world cup though.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Amazon Warriors from my home country Guyana made it to the T20 finals! They're playing Trinbago Knight Riders tomorrow.
They've been runners up 6 times so far right? Hopefully they can turn that into a win.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
They've been runners up 6 times so far right? Hopefully they can turn that into a win.
Trinbago is tough to beat. Guyana is buzzing right now. Lots of celebrities going down to watch. Shensea, Sean Paul etc. Times like these I miss home. It's a big party the entire weekend leading up to the game. If we win, nobody is working next week. :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Trinbago is tough to beat. Guyana is buzzing right now. Lots of celebrities going down to watch. Shensea, Sean Paul etc. Times like these I miss home. It's a big party the entire weekend leading up to the game. If we win, nobody is working next week. :lol:
Something romantic about West Indian Cricket when everyone gets into it - good to see even if it's at a national/regional level.

dpansheth

highway and that's what you'll probably get at this world cup. Aussie attack has been up and down in last few months.

sport2793

highway and that's what you'll probably get at this world cup. Aussie attack has been up and down in last few months.
Really disliked this wicket but I expect these to be prevalent this year. 399 highest score for India against Aus but the linked match still has to be the most dominant batting display I've seen in this matchup: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...ia-vs-australia-2nd-odi-647251/full-scorecard. One notable name there though that brings tears for obvious reasons, RIP.

dpansheth