ICC T20 World Cup 2021

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I only watched him in the recent The 100 tournament and he was good.
Ah that explains it, I haven't seen the 100. Saw him play at IPL ages ago and he was very underwhelming, seems like he has improved.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Will Afghanistan be able to play?
If women aren't allowed to play cricket in Afghanistan then I can't understand how the men's team will be allowed to participate in international tournaments. But this is ICC we're talking about...

zing

Zingle balls
If women aren't allowed to play cricket in Afghanistan then I can't understand how the men's team will be allowed to participate in international tournaments. But this is ICC we're talking about...
I don’t think banning the men’s team is going to make the Taliban change their minds about the women’s team. And the net effect of doing this is going to be negative on Afghanistan cricket.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Australia have threatened to cancel their planned Test game if women aren’t allowed to play cricket. I think the ICC will take a similar approach. But I’m not sure banning the men’s team will have any impact on the wider issue.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) Captain
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Chris Jordan (Surrey)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Tymal Mills (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

English squad.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don’t think banning the men’s team is going to make the Taliban change their minds about the women’s team. And the net effect of doing this is going to be negative on Afghanistan cricket.
Irregardless of what happens this world cup, a Taliban lead Afghanistan is almost certainly going to have a negative impact on their cricket. Most international sides will almost certainly refuse to play them outside of international tournaments on the basis of the regime.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Chris Jordan (Surrey)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Tymal Mills (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

English squad.
No Mahmood or Parkinson in the 15 is very surprising.

I was really impressed by Parkinson against Pakistan, not sure why they’ve not tried him in the India series.

Aint gota Kalou

Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Chris Jordan (Surrey)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Tymal Mills (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

English squad.
Where is this from?

Samid

Sam Billings (Kent)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Chris Jordan (Surrey)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Tymal Mills (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
David Willey (Yorkshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

English squad.
England's treatment of Root in T20s has been baffling. He carried them to the final last time, is in the form of his life and thrives in Asian conditions. That middle order is great on flat roads but on slower tournament wickets par scores are much lower and you need an accumulator who the rest of the lineup can bat around. Won't be surprised if the middle order failing to adapt to conditions will be their undoing.

Samid

Never seen a more underwhelming SA squad. Maybe this is what they need to break the curse :lol:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
England's treatment of Root in T20s has been baffling. He carried them to the final last time, is in the form of his life and thrives in Asian conditions. That middle order is great on flat roads but on slower tournament wickets par scores are much lower and you need an accumulator who the rest of the lineup can bat around. Won't be surprised if the middle order failing to adapt to conditions will be their undoing.
I think they have chosen Malan as the accumulator, if Stokes had been available for selection he would have been my choice there at number 3. However they clearly don't think they can have both Malan and Root in the same side and have gone with the former even though his best form is not when the ball is spinning.

Parkinson should have been in the squad. Baffling England are going in with just one front line spinner.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Because it's men's cricket, it may be ok. Demoralizing to type this but hey ho, they've pledged to be better is what I keep hearing.
I'm not so certain. I think it's a pretty rotten message to send to the international cricket community (men and women) and beyond if the ICC is seen to endorse Afghanistan in any way right now.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Parkinson should have been in the squad. Baffling England are going in with just one front line spinner.
I also would have taken Parkinson, but Livingstone and Ali will both also start so we will have 3 spin options in the side. That's enough.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I also would have taken Parkinson, but Livingstone and Ali will both also start so we will have 3 spin options in the side. That's enough.
I would have taken Parkinson instead of one of Woakes/Willey/Curran, all 3 battling for same spot in the side (bat 7/8 and opening the bowling). Ali seems only effective against left handers now and Livingstone is far from a frontline spinner. I don't think Parkinson was going to be a guaranteed starter but there would have been some occasions where it would have been great to open with Rashid and have Parkinson in the middle overs.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ah that explains it, I haven't seen the 100. Saw him play at IPL ages ago and he was very underwhelming, seems like he has improved.
Yeah i didn't know too much about him in fairness. He was a good death bowler during The 100 and i think the commentators made mention of his good domestic record.

zing

Zingle balls
Faf, Morris, Tahir not in the SA squad. I haven't tracked SA cricket closely but Cricinfo article says they havent been called up in awhile and that it is not a surprise.

Like the look of a lot of these squads - going to be an interesting WC.

I read that squads can be changed till a later cutoff date - anyone know what that date is and what the protocol is?

AshRK

Faf, Morris, Tahir not in the SA squad. I haven't tracked SA cricket closely but Cricinfo article says they havent been called up in awhile and that it is not a surprise.

I read that squads can be changed till a later cutoff date - anyone know what that date is and what the protocol is?
Tahir is not needed as they have shamsi now who has been bowling amazing. I am more surprised by them not picking Janneman Malan who whenever I watch looks some talent.

I feel they may lack the world class name but still have a very solid team. Their bowling is pretty good. Their batting with de kock, Markram, van dussen and miller can win matches on their own. I don't think it's that bad a squad like some say it is. Let us not forget they did beat WI in t20s recently.

Dudu

Damnit Windies. Why is Jason Holder in the reserves and not the main squad? :(

Faf made himself available for the WC, he should absolutely be there looking at SA batting options. Also odd how Linde is in the reserves - should be in the main one.

I believe they have to announce a provisional 15 main + Reserve squad now, But can make changes till October 10th (final cut-off)

Dudu

Could be wrong, but this could be more to do with internal selection/board issues rather than the Taliban. They go through management and captaincy changes just as much as SL.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Damnit Windies. Why is Jason Holder in the reserves and not the main squad? :(
Most of our team sorta picks itself, with Holder being the one to miss out. It's gonna be

1) Evin Lewis
2) Simmons/Fletcher
3) Gayle (He shouldn't be there but they are going to play him)
4) Hetmyer
5) Pooran
6) Pollard
7) DJ Bravo
8) Russell

9, 10 and 11 are the only ones that don't seem a sure thing. McCoy and Fabian Allen will most likely be there, not sure who the last bowler will be. Realistically Holder would have had to take the spot of DJ or Russell, and he doesn't warrant it over either of them. Holder is definitely our best test player, but in T20 both of them are more likely to bring something to the team than him.

Dudu

Most of our team sorta picks itself, with Holder being the one to miss out. It's gonna be

1) Evin Lewis
2) Simmons/Fletcher
3) Gayle (He shouldn't be there but they are going to play him)
4) Hetmyer
5) Pooran
6) Pollard
7) DJ Bravo
8) Russell

9, 10 and 11 are the only ones that don't seem a sure thing. McCoy and Fabian Allen will most likely be there, not sure who the last bowler will be. Realistically Holder would have had to take the spot of DJ or Russell, and he doesn't warrant it over either of them. Holder is definitely our best test player, but in T20 both of them are more likely to bring something to the team than him.
I see what you mean, but he should still be in the main 15 as an option.

Have no idea how guys like Darren Bravo and Oshane Thomas even made the final cut. Even Fletcher doesn't really have much to speak to warrant a spot (except maybe as a backup keeper). Also didn't WI even rest Holder for the T20I series vs Aus, with this WC in mind?

Dudu

UAE pitches already looking slow and tired in the IPL. Doesn't bode well for the T20WC with such a short turnover time.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
UAE pitches already looking slow and tired in the IPL. Doesn't bode well for the T20WC with such a short turnover time.
State of current Sharjah pitch has got nothing to do with IPL given that just 2 matches have been played on it so far.

Dudu

State of current Sharjah pitch has got nothing to do with IPL given that just 2 matches have been played on it so far.
There were similar signs in Dubai too. None of the games have felt free-flowing. Will be a serious task to keep them fresh.

Don't necessarily mind low scoring games, but if that's going to be the theme from the very start, it will make for a very dull WC.

Samid

Commentators:

Dale Steyn, Shane Watson, Daren Sammy, Nasser Hussain, Harsha Bhogle, Ian Bishop, Natalie Germanos, Sunil Gavaskar, Michael Atherton, Simon Doull, Russel Arnold, Anjum Chopra, Murali Kartik, Athar Ali Khan, Bazid Khan, Mpumelelo Mbangwa, Preston Mommsen, Danny Morrison, Mark Nicholas, Niall O’Brien and Alan Wilkins.

Such an awful and uninspiring bunch. Where did all the great commentators go? At least we won't have to listen to Raja and Shastri.

Dudu

Commentators:

Dale Steyn, Shane Watson, Daren Sammy, Nasser Hussain, Harsha Bhogle, Ian Bishop, Natalie Germanos, Sunil Gavaskar, Michael Atherton, Simon Doull, Russel Arnold, Anjum Chopra, Murali Kartik, Athar Ali Khan, Bazid Khan, Mpumelelo Mbangwa, Preston Mommsen, Danny Morrison, Mark Nicholas, Niall O’Brien and Alan Wilkins.

Such an awful and uninspiring bunch. Where did all the great commentators go? At least we won't have to listen to Raja and Shastri.
Never heard anyone refer to Pommie, Bishop, Nas, Athers as awful and uninspiring :nono:

Overall though, it is quite a mixed bag of comms.