ICC T20 World Cup 2022

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

The 2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup is scheduled to be the eight ICC Men's T20 World Cup tournament, with matches taking place in Australia from October 16 to November 13 2022. Australia are the defending champions.

The host cities are Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The semi-finals will take place at the Sydney Cricket Ground and the Adelaide Oval, with the final taking place at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

With a total of 42 matches, the T20 World Cup will be composed of two rounds. Round 1 will include twelve matches between eight teams (Namibia, Scotland, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Ireland, Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and Zimbabwe) from which four teams will progress to the Super 12s. The Super 12s, scheduled to start from 22 October 2021, will consist of 30 matches between the four teams from Round 1 and the top eight ranked T20I teams. Those teams will be split into two groups of six each. This will be followed by the two semi-finals and then the final.

Group A: Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates
Group B: Ireland, Scotland, West Indies, Zimbabwe

Group 1: Afghanistan, Australia, England, New Zealand, A1, B2
Group 2: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, South Africa, A2, B1

2022 ICC Men's T20 World Cup (Wikipedia)
T20 World Cup (Official site)
Fixtures (Cricinfo)

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Should be fun, as usual any of the 'top tier' nations are capable of winning it. I know Sri Lanka were good in the Asia Cup but will be tough for them in these conditions.

West Indies also seem to be in the standard state of turmoil with various big players not in the squad for a variety of stupid reasons.

Obvious winner - Aus/India
Good chance - Eng.
Capable but need some luck - SA/Pak.

AshRK

Should be fun, as usual any of the 'top tier' nations are capable of winning it. I know Sri Lanka were good in the Asia Cup but will be tough for them in these conditions.

West Indies also seem to be in the standard state of turmoil with various big players not in the squad for a variety of stupid reasons.

Good chance - Eng.
I don't think India are favorites especially after injuries to Jadeja and Bumrah. Bowling is weak and inexperienced. Batting on paper may look good but it depends on how our top 3 players. If we have a reserved version of Rahul/Rohit then we will be struggling to go past group stage.

I would put Australia as favs and then Eng/Ind and Pakistan

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I don't think India are favorites especially after injuries to Jadeja and Bumrah. Bowling is weak and inexperienced. Batting on paper may look good but it depends on how our top 3 players. If we have a reserved version of Rahul/Rohit then we will be struggling to go past group stage.

I would put Australia as favs and then Eng/Ind and Pakistan
So instead of Aus > Ind > Eng. You are Aus > Eng > Ind.

Not a huge disagreement there is it mate :lol:

AshRK

So instead of Aus > Ind > Eng. You are Aus > Eng > Ind.

Not a huge disagreement there is it mate :lol:
I don't think India are obvious winners as you had stated in your OP. That's where the disagreement. Otherwise yes India defenitely has a good chance so has England or Pakistan. Any other side apart from those 4 winning would be a huge surprise.

zing

Zingle balls

Good chance - Eng.
India are firmly mid tier imo -- we were never a sorted side, and we now miss Bumrah. Aus and Eng are firm favs

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I see the tradition of everyone underplaying their own team is to be maintained. Like it.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I expect one of the Big-3 to win.

Hopefully Pakistan turn up & can do well but I expect the batting to struggle on Aussie pitches.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I expect one of the Big-3 to win.

Hopefully Pakistan turn up & can do well but I expect the batting to struggle on Aussie pitches.
It was a fun series with both sides playing some good Cricket but probably not a great sign to lose to a weakened England line up at home. Looked like you are lacking some hitters in the mid-late overs.

Dan_F

I see the tradition of everyone underplaying their own team is to be maintained. Like it.
I was about to say the same thing. I’m glad the games are much more manageable times than when the Ashes are in Australia.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It was a fun series with both sides playing some good Cricket but probably not a great sign to lose to a weakened England line up at home. Looked like you are lacking some hitters in the mid-late overs.
Yep. Batting falls apart unless the openers score the majority of runs. There’s also a vulnerability to the short ball which I’m certain they’ll get exposed to on those pitches.

But, it’s also Pakistan, so you never know what you’re going to get!

Dr. StrangeHate

England and Australia play aggressively from the first ball and continue even after losing wickets so I would have them as top tier with Australia edging it due to being at home. India has started to play aggressively after the asia cup, if they keep going they will be up there, so third favourites. Pakistan lack hitters and are fairly reserved in the beginning but are always a threat. Don't know much about the other teams.
1. Australia
2. England
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. Rest of the teams

Chief123

I’d have England down as favourites with the batting options they have. Bat so deep and have very aggressive hitters. Think they’ll be confident of setting big targets and chasing any score down in Australia.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I’d have England down as favourites with the batting options they have. Bat so deep and have very aggressive hitters. Think they’ll be confident of setting big targets and chasing any score down in Australia.
Most of the top sides have a good batting line up or at least two to three gun. But the Aussies have the best bowling line up so should be the heavy favourites.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Most of the top sides have a good batting line up or at least two to three gun. But the Aussies have the best bowling line up so should be the heavy favourites.
Do they have the best bowling lineup though? I wouldn’t trust that attack apart from Hazlewood

Samid

4D chess by SL to lose this so they can end up in the group with all the Asian minnows.

Dudu

All part of our masterplan to get into Group 2 obviously. :nervous:

Namibia continue to put out impressive performances. Lots of handy players and several pinch hitters.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I had tickets for the Perth group games…had to give them up. :(

Samid

Windies getting hammered :eek: Turns out these full members were in the qualifiers for a reason.

Samid

The negative to Sri Lanka and West Indies getting shown up like this is that the ICC will probably use it as proof that this hideous format works.
Quite the opposite I think, SL and WI eliminated would mean quite a few high profile matches wiped out from the Super 12s. That's worse for the ICC who generally only care about the revenue.

But I agree it's an awful format. Why are the qualifiers a part of the tournament? Logistics wise I'd assume it's a nightmare for traveling fans of these countries too. You won't know until days before if your team is part of the main event.

I won't be shocked if more people were watching the warm-up match between Aus-Ind at the same time than WI-Sco. Which would defeat any purpose of playing qualifiers this late.

Why not have two groups of 8s with 4 teams progressing to the QFs? I mean you've got 16 teams at the tournament already, why not make full use of it? And more knockout games too instead of going straight to the SFs.

IRN-BRUno

NRR is going to cost the Netherlands, poor effort really considering they were chasing low totals and made good starts in both matches so far.

phelans shorts

Absolutely incredible run chase by Ireland this morning, now the West Indies not doing too well against Zimbabwe as well. This first round has been excellent (albeit a stupid idea that should be scrapped)

suheilsworld

Absolutely incredible run chase by Ireland this morning, now the West Indies not doing too well against Zimbabwe as well. This first round has been excellent (albeit a stupid idea that should be scrapped)
Looks like Windies turn it around, for this game at least. I can see them crashing against Ireland. For a nation that has immense talent, they surely have the most pathetic International teams. Greedy players prioritizing IPL over national team

paulscholes18

Topley ruled out is a big blow to England, could do with Mills being fully fit and firing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ireland looking very very promising here.

Incredible start by big Paul Stirling.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The format of the World Cup (just like the last one) is really bad for a format with such high variance