Iceland Palm Oil Protest Ad Banned, War Machine possibly the cause?

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Moving this to current affairs due to an article in the Independent today. For anyone who hasn't seen the ad yet here it is:

Why has it been banned?
Why would that be banned?
Why have they banned that?
Someone asked that on Iceland's tweet about it, and they replied:

"The advert wasn’t approved by advertising regulators as it was seen to be in support of a political issue. The production and widespread usage of palm oil is a complex and sometimes controversial matter. However, it was never Iceland’s intention to use its Christmas advert to support a political campaign – rather to raise awareness and solidify our position on not using palm oil in food production."
Now, unsurprisingly, it looks like our greedy cnut politicians could be/are definitely, behind the ban.

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...gzV6LaGaHEn5-2rtNoO5MZeN-YLUpPGApaYx5g5mQUCOQ

MadMike

Wasn’t it banned because it was actually funded and directed by Greenpeace who are deemed a political organisation?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'm happy that it was banned. That way many other people watched it and not only potential (now more) 300.000 icelanders. Sometimes censorship backfires

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The Iceland in question isn't the country but a British supermarket :)

Thanks for clarification :)

I lived there almost 2 years and I don't recall seeing those supermarkets, probably not my target as I was more of sainsbury and Asda. No money

Still, happy that I could see the add as many others as some friends from other countries around the world, post it in their FB
People who shop at Iceland are called Icelanders too. Probably.
:lol::lol:

That is consumer alignment

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I had a look at a list of common products that contain it recently. I'll be changing my face wash and won't buy a few other things. It really needs to gain more traction though otherwise it'll be forgotten about quickly I think, and a few people boycotting products will just be a drop in the ocean.

dove

I actually think it's a very smart move by Iceland. They probably knew it would be banned and that it would get lots of attention from social media, way more than from simply showing an ad on TV.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I had a look at a list of common products that contain it recently. I'll be changing my face wash and won't buy a few other things. It really needs to gain more traction though otherwise it'll be forgotten about quickly I think, and a few people boycotting products will just be a drop in the ocean.
Bought some peanut butter a while back because it didn’t contain palm oil, just contains peanut oil. It’s good stuff. Peanut butter doesn’t need to contain palm oil. Neither do other items.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/which-everyday-products-contain-palm-oil

Here is a list of well known brands that use palm oil.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/palm-oil-in-brtains-top-brands-1677467.html

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I'm happy that it was banned. That way many other people watched it and not only potential (now more) 300.000 icelanders. Sometimes censorship backfires
I imagine it's got more publicity than it may have had it just been aired, however it's not going to be seen one or two times a night like John Lewis ad will be.

Bought some peanut butter a while back because it didn’t contain palm oil, just contains peanut oil. It’s good stuff. Peanut butter doesn’t need to contain palm oil. Neither do other items.

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/which-everyday-products-contain-palm-oil

Here is a list of well known brands that use palm oil.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/palm-oil-in-brtains-top-brands-1677467.html
Thanks for that. Horrendous all the different alternative names there are.

Red Defence

Thanks for that. Horrendous all the different alternative names there are.
Yes, I think it’s worth posting that list.

Many products that use palm oil aren't clearly labeled. Palm oil and its derivatives can appear under many names, including:

INGREDIENTS:
Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Fat, Palm Kernel, Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Fruit Oil, Palmate, Palmitate, Palmolein, Glyceryl, Stearate, Stearic Acid, Elaeis Guineensis, Palmitic Acid, Palm Stearine, Palmitoyl Oxostearamide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-3, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Lauryl Lactylate/Sulphate, Hyrated Palm Glycerides, Etyl Palmitate, Octyl Palmitate, Palmityl Alcohol

CONTAINS: Palm oil

Green_Red

I will be in Iceland over the next few weeks. Clever move, they're going for the environmentally aware consumer. Well done them!

It's a powerful message, we never stop to think do we, we are actually part of the problem.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Had me thinking palm oil is somehow harvested from the palms of orangutans’ hands. I’m sure I used to be smarter than this.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I will be in Iceland over the next few weeks. Clever move, they're going for the environmentally aware consumer. Well done them!

It's a powerful message, we never stop to think do we, we are actually part of the problem.
It’s all a bit of a half hearted publicity stunt if you ask me. They won’t be using palm oil in their own brand products, but they’ll still stock other brands that us it.

Green_Red

It’s all a bit of a half hearted publicity stunt if you ask me. They won’t be using palm oil in their own brand products, but they’ll still stock other brands that us it.
ah, of course.. the catch! do you think that'll actually be the case?

Member 39557

If they didn't, their shelves would be very empty. Palm oil is in almost everything! At least they're giving people a well publicised choice.

ivaldo

If they didn't, their shelves would be very empty. Palm oil is in almost everything! At least they're giving people a well publicised choice.
They can source alternatives, they won't though, they're happy to hold the moral high ground if it doesn't effect their bottom line. It's publicity stunt, nothing more.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
If shopping at Iceland would end global poverty I still wouldn’t do it.

Member 39557

They can source alternatives, they won't though, they're happy to hold the moral high ground if it doesn't effect their bottom line. It's publicity stunt, nothing more.
It would be commercial suicide for a large supermarket chain to cut out most big branded palm oil based products and replace them with little known alternatives.
I don't shop in Iceland, but I'd imagine the idea is that they produce their own palm oil free alternatives to a lot of the high selling palm oil based items. Your average high street shopper is going to have their favourite brands of everything from shampoo to chocolate bars. Their customers are not going to wake up one morning and phase everything out in one go, but if Iceland can provide their own branded palm free alternatives then maybe they can make their customers change over time. Hopefully, other supermarkets will follow suit.

As Giles said in the clip from This Morning, it's more about making every manufacturer use sustainable palm oil crops, as they have a higher yield than the alternatives to palm oil. At least Iceland have raised awareness and started people thinking about it.

ivaldo

It would be commercial suicide for a large supermarket chain to cut out most big branded palm oil based products and replace them with little known alternatives.
I don't shop in Iceland, but I'd imagine the idea is that they produce their own palm oil free alternatives to a lot of the high selling palm oil based items. Your average high street shopper is going to have their favourite brands of everything from shampoo to chocolate bars. Their customers are not going to wake up one morning and phase everything out in one go, but if Iceland can provide their own branded palm free alternatives then maybe they can make their customers change over time. Hopefully, other supermarkets will follow suit.

As Giles said in the clip from This Morning, it's more about making every manufacturer use sustainable palm oil crops, as they have a higher yield than the alternatives to palm oil. At least Iceland have raised awareness and started people thinking about it.
So a marketing ploy then.

You think that's going to coerce manufacturers into doing so? If they make no attempt to replace existing brands that use palm oil, why would they bother sourcing alternatives?

Red Defence

They can’t source palm oil free alternatives to Mars bars or KitKats and that sort of thing because they’re aren’t any.

Customers nowadays are concerned about palm oil use in food and Iceland have realised that they can produce food and goods that don’t have palm oil in them. They have made the move to remove it from their own brand produce and good on them for doing so. It’s up to other manufacturers now to try and remove/ reduce it from their products too.

ivaldo

They can’t source palm oil free alternatives to Mars bars or KitKats and that sort of thing because they’re aren’t any.

Customers nowadays are concerned about palm oil use in food and Iceland have realised that they can produce food and goods that don’t have palm oil in them. They have made the move to remove it from their own brand produce and good on them for doing so. It’s up to other manufacturers now to try and remove/ reduce it from their products too.
There are plenty of alternatives that contain ethically sourced palm oil, there are also several other supermarkets that have a far better track record in terms of palm oil that haven't built a marketing campaign around it.

Red Defence

There are plenty of alternatives that contain ethically sourced palm oil, there are also several other supermarkets that have a far better track record in terms of palm oil that haven't built a marketing campaign around it.
Well more fool them. The public are becoming more and more aware of palm oil products so if supermarkets are removing it or using ethically sourced palm oil then they should be informing people.

I was completely unaware of this issue until I started reading customer reviews of products on Ocado and found a noticeable number of them complaining about the product containing palm oil. After wondering for a while what it was all about I googled it. Now if I order online I check the product information.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why so cynical? They are doing something at least... Good on them.