Iconic Moments of Commentary

kidbob

Was going to put this in the football forum while thinking of the 99 CL final. I can honestly quote the commentary for the two goals by heart. Same as the Giggs FA Cup semi final goal. That CL final commentary is my favourite ever. To me it has become an iconic part of that final. So what are some of the most amazing commentary moments you can think of. United ones are absolutely allowed!

So the background to this is that Ireland hadn't won a Grand Slam (winning the 6 nations while winning all games) since 1948. They had had an awful Autumn international window and came from nowhere, with an incredibly talented team that has underachieved, to get to play for the Grand Slam in Cardiff against Wales. The commentary is Irish and is incredibly biased but it so much works for the moment as you hear the genuine emotions in the moments and what it meant to the commentators.

There is 2 particular moments in the video. First is from 5.50 to 6.20 when Ireland score the drop goal to put them ahead and from 6.25 to7.45 when Paddy Wallace gives away a penalty that could lose Ireland the game with no time left to come back.

Any great moments of commentary you know and if applicable the context behind them?

Edit: you can include 3.48 to 4.05 too :lol: :lol:

Double edit: honestly the whole video is incredible for how much every moment means to the commentators!

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This has always stuck out for its stark commentary on the carnage on the pitch...

kidbob

This has always stuck out for its stark commentary on the carnage on the pitch...

Holy shit! Thank you for this. What an insane game. Puts into perspective Burnley nowadays. The guy doing the intro was amazing, he was so disgusted about it :lol:.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Holy shit! Thank you for this. What an insane game. Puts into perspective Burnley nowadays. The guy doing the intro was amazing, he was so disgusted about it :lol:.
No worries at all. Stumbled back across this a few weeks ago & thought it could fit in well.

RedDevilRoshi

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve watched this but for me it’s Ian Crockers “what a moment this is, it’s Liam Henderson to deliverrrrrrr and David Gray has scored”!!!!! commentary in the 2016 Scottish Cup final between Hibernian and Rangers.

About 00:37 secs in for Crockers legendary piece.

I could give you war in peace about this but cutting a long story short, my local team Hibs ended a 114 year hoodoo by winning the Scottish Cup against Rangers on May 21st 2016 when Sir David Gray scored the winning goal in stoppage time. I was at Hampden Park that day and my word, I’ve never felt that sort of emotion and euphoria in a football ground before.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Easily the most passionate piece of commentary was from the great Alan Green on the Chelsea Champions League final. Didier Drogba about to take the winning penalty.
GO ON DIDIER.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Brian Moore ''it's up for grabs now'' and Martin Tyler and his ''Agueroooooooooooooo'' come to mind immediately and are somewhat obvious. I watch both rugby codes (union more than league) as well as cricket and can I think of bits of commentary I really enjoyed but I'm not sure if any of them fit the ''iconic'' label.

Last edited:

Traub

"Good God almighty," he screamed after Undertaker tossed Foley 16 feet down onto the Spanish announce table. "They've killed him! As God as my witness, he is broken in half."

Tarrou

Gary when he went

Ohhhhhhheeeeeohhhhhhhhhhheeeeooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

youngrell

It's probably not iconic, and there's very little imagination in it, but Martin Tyler's commentary for Scholes' volley against Villa always gives me some feels. He is simply speechless and all he can blurt out is an involuntary sound and then Scholes' name, which perfectly sums up the goal for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't know how the feck Peter Drury is the PL's lead commentator. He's absolutely terrible.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Alan Green gets a lot of stick and most is deserved for his faux controversial attitude. But he's a very talented commentator. I have learnt a fair bit from his deliveries.

Anyway, radio commentary is much harder than tv commentary (I do both) so he certainly deserves credit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For years I thought PES's commentary was weirdly awful and then I heard him actually commentate on a game. Turns out it's just him.
I wont defend PES commentary as much as I love the game, but yeah, he's absolutely terrible. That the PL went from Tyler and Gray to Dury and whoever the feck has to deal with him, is bemusing.

Patchbeard

Alan Green gets a lot of stick and most is deserved for his faux controversial attitude. But he's a very talented commentator. I have learnt a fair bit from his deliveries.

Anyway, radio commentary is much harder than tv commentary (I do both) so he certainly deserves credit.

I used to like him before the age of streaming when I relied on radio 5 live. However he was pretty awful (in my opinion) in his short stint on Match of the Day. Just didn't have the right phrasing for tv highlights, whereas his slightly inane but often amusing ramblings worked great on radio.

And on the other side of the coin, Clive Tyldesley was/is great for TV, but terrible on radio commentary. You're constantly left wondering what the feck has just happened because he doesn't describe the actual action at all, just gets all excited and shouts the players name who has just crossed/shot :rolleyes: :wenger: Was it a goal?! Feck knows except Clive.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I used to like him before the age of streaming when I relied on radio 5 live. However he was pretty awful (in my opinion) in his short stint on Match of the Day. Just didn't have the right phrasing for tv highlights, whereas his slightly inane but often amusing ramblings worked great on radio.

And on the other side of the coin, Clive Tyldesley was/is great for TV, but terrible on radio commentary. You're constantly left wondering what the feck has just happened because he doesn't describe the actual action at all, just gets all excited and shouts the players name who has just crossed/shot :rolleyes: :wenger: Was it a goal?! Feck knows except Clive.
With Alan Green, I know from experience how difficult moving from radio coverage to TV is. I didn't realise how hard it was until I did it. After years of being pretty much exclusive to radio, I'd imagine it just became second nature to him.

I've experienced my fair share of poor radio commentators in my time, but these days I find a lot get unfair criticism and for obvious reasons it would be unprofessional to publicly state my opinion.

Patchbeard

With Alan Green, I know from experience how difficult moving from radio coverage to TV is. I didn't realise how hard it was until I did it. After years of being pretty much exclusive to radio, I'd imagine it just became second nature to him.

I've experienced my fair share of poor radio commentators in my time, but these days I find a lot get unfair criticism and for obvious reasons it would be unprofessional to publicly state my opinion.
The 5 live ones are all good, one especially is excitable but also descriptive which makes every game seem interesting and exciting!(will have to find his name). But recently talksport have recruited Clive Tyldesley and someone really needs to teach him a thing or two about radio commentary. I would gladly have him back on the TV for England games over Sam Matterface though!

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The 5 live ones are all good, one especially is excitable but also descriptive which makes every game seem interesting and exciting!(will have to find his name). But recently talksport have recruited Clive Tyldesley and someone really needs to teach him a thing or two about radio commentary. I would gladly have him back on the TV for England games over Sam Matterface though!
Ironically, I though Sam Matterface was a decent radio commentator when he was on talksport. I don't know what possessed them to essentially swap roles.

Talksport or 5live are my dream employers, but I'm only starting out really so I have to be patient and take any opportunities I can. I have my local BBC station looking to talk to me in May, so that's a good start.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Don’t think anyone needs to teach him anything about radio commentary, he started his career in radio and was there for over a decade. He was bloody good. Don’t know why he gets so much stick from the experts on here

Patchbeard

Don’t think anyone needs to teach him anything about radio commentary, he started his career in radio and was there for over a decade. He was bloody good. Don’t know why he gets so much stick from the experts on here
I couldn't give a monkeys if he started his career in radio, he's diabolical at it nowadays. Ian Dennis is the one on 5 live I was mentioning who is fantastic. Paints the picture of what you are seeing and brings it to life. Tyldesley just says the same stuff as he would on TV, which is great for TV, but not for visualising the game.

Odin

Bjørge Lillelien and his epic rant ending with "Your guys took a hell of a beating!" is the holy grail of sports commentary. In his era he stood out among his peers, with a fine blend of knowledge, sophistication and unadultered enthusiasm. The Wikipedia on him is worth a read.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjørge_Lillelien

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I couldn't give a monkeys if he started his career in radio, he's diabolical at it nowadays. Ian Dennis is the one on 5 live I was mentioning who is fantastic. Paints the picture of what you are seeing and brings it to life. Tyldesley just says the same stuff as he would on TV, which is great for TV, but not for visualising the game.
I’ll defer to your expert analysis