"I'd rather be out of Europe completely to concentrate on the league"

Longshanks

To concentrate on trying to scrape a top 4/5 position, can't wait to see us really concentrate on that!

Would rather win the Europa in all honesty. But since we haven't qualified then it doesn't matter anyway.

Can't help but feel that people are just trying to mask the abject failure that has been this season so far.

KeanoMagicHat

I like the Europa League, most of the snobbery about it is based off mid-2000s when English clubs didn’t take it seriously, since the CL spot was available and it’s been a highly competitive competition where some of the ties have been as good as the CL ties.

There is also no real correlation between league performance and continued European football. Liverpool are in the Europa and I fully expect them to challenge for the title and nobody will care. Chelsea aren’t in any European competitions and are crap etc.

el3mel

The hope is the standard of football we produce should be much better - playing once a week versus playing twice a week is a big difference. Europa is not a great comp for me, I get it's a game to watch but I'd much rather watch us once a week and see a time compete for 90mins than the rag tag performances we've been served up so far. No guarantees this happens but undeniable it's more likely without all the extra games, travel and missed training sessions.
Our football isn't going to improve. The midweek game wasn't the reason we have been playing bad football.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I guess he's trying to find something positive out of finishing last in their group! Although more games can also give you more chances to try different stuff, rotate the squad, etc.
Different things are alright as long as you have had time to practice those different things.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd go one further. I'd rather finish outside the European spots if it's not a CL spot. We can't be certain that Erik (or whoever else tasked with resurrecting this shambles) won't prioritise that at the expense of implementing the long-term vision.

So what position would that be, hypothetically if only the top 4 get CL? 8th? Give me top 4 or 8th.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’d rather we went out than end up in Europa again. Our squad is not set up for multiple competitions and we’re already crocked 24/7.

It gives Ten Hag time to train and players recovery time with very few midweek interruptions.

MrBest

I would of liked to still be in Europe, I just get this buzz when it's match day (don't know why in recent times, even though after every game I'm like, that's its im done).

Also, it's not like a weeks rest will actually make this lot any better.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
And the majority of our fans say the league is the priority. Europe should be the number 1 target. We have only 3 Champions League trophies. It's pretty mad. Chelsea have 2. City 1. Forest 1. Villa 1. We should be up with the big boys.

Moscow was one of the best nights as a sports fan. We've won the league many many times. Winning the league doesn't compare to winning the big European trophy.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
On one hand, the Europa League could've possibly been a pleasant distraction from the weekly misery of the league.

On the other hand, we probably would've faced our usual murderer's row of Spanish feckers. Making our way past Sevilla (somehow), Sociedad and 2002 Deportivo La Coruna with Diego Tristan and Roy Makaay before Liverpool destroyed us in the final.
This team would struggle to make its way past 2002 Derby County with Chris Riggot and Malcolm Christie

Yagami

Good post resistant
I personally wanted the Europa. First, that's our level so I wouldn't pass up the chance of another trophy. Second, even if we didn't take it that serious, it still could've gave the likes of Mainoo, Amad, even Gore, etc, more opportunities.

Top 4 is irrelevant to me. A few seasons out of the CL is fine for the long term. Take our focus away from purely wanting European football to building a cohesive team and, long term, we'll be better off.

AndySmith1990

I don’t even care about the league I’m just happy this lot aren’t going to put us through Thursday nights against shite teams that try 200% from all over Europe.
If only United players tried 200%, we'd probably beat all those shite teams

Oranges038

Go all out for the league.

Only 10 points off the top with 22 games left.

Stranger things have happened.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We're still paying for the relentless schedule from last season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Barely have a squad for one competition but hey lets play in 3 competitions

Amity Survivor

I’ve always thought pain is bad, so the less of it the better, less games means less pain , it’s really quite simple

baskinginthesun

I'd go one further. I'd rather finish outside the European spots if it's not a CL spot. We can't be certain that Erik (or whoever else tasked with resurrecting this shambles) won't prioritise that at the expense of implementing the long-term vision.

So what position would that be, hypothetically if only the top 4 get CL? 8th? Give me top 4 or 8th.
Top 5 now, isn't it? So top 5 or 9th? Not sure how the EL places are allocated for next season.

United888

I agree with this, it saves me lot of money for subscription and for someone who lives in Australia, I can sleep more hours and don't need to be worried about coming late for work in the morning. Also it benefits us to spend more time in training and coaching.

Betson

There’s absolutely no point in us being in either Europa or Champions League, no chance we’d beat anyone decent over two legs.
If people are more honest they would just admit this , as you said we have no chance of winning it and would most likley be embarrassed by the first half decent team we met.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
The Geordies needed europa more than we did. They'd have added to the squad and went for it.
It's too much of an unnecessary distraction for us. One game a week right now is only going to be a good thing.

sparx99

I think this is a reasonable take. I'm also under the suspicion that the muscle injuries and the mental exhaustion can, at least up to a point, be attributed to the fact that last season (with a WC in the middle of it) we treated every game like a final even though we didn't have the squad depth to deal with such a hectic schedule. Which was followed by a preseason schedule that neither the manager nor the players found fruitful. Perhaps, the chance to reflect and reevaluate where we're at and how we can move forward isn't the worst thing that can happen.
I’ve said something similar. We played more games than anybody last season without the ability to rotate like City because we aren’t good enough to rest players.

We were the only team that had to deal with

- Losing a game due to the Queens death
- World Cup
- Making two finals and later stages of Europa League including an extra round in the Europa League because we finished 2nd in the group.

Then because we aren’t a serious football club we didn’t look at that and plan the most football centric pre-season we could. We instead had a gruelling pre-season with some of the worst travel possible.

None of that absolves ETH from his own failings but given the injuries this year and the schedule last year we have never had the time to see the team develop without a crisis of some sort or just being too busy.

If ETH survives through Christmas we will get a much clearer picture of whether he is capable of implementing his tactics and vision. We can also let some players go in January because we won’t need as many with a lighter schedule.

Catron

“We got bigger fish to fry”

“It’s a blessing in disguise”

Farmershawn

We aren't getting top 4, Europa was probably our best chance of being in the Champions League next year. That being said, the club has no ambition from top to bottom so I'd rather not just give the Glazer's a payday which is what European qualification has become, we don't even pretend to compete anymore.
crazy to think winning Europa is easier than getting top 4. is it because Sevilla aren't in it ?

Waynne

Yeah but you need consistent performance from the team. We are simply incapable of putting a run together.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I am glad we are out. Winning the Europa one time is already one time too many. It's a losers tournament and no big team should really care about it. If not for the CL spot by winning it, it would be more insignificant than it already is.

This and the league cup only became significant once we started failing in the league. The cult of whoever was in charge starting touting them as "ladders to future success", when despite winning them thrice (One Europa and two League cups) we are still on the ladder to nowhere. Sir Alex used to use the League cup to give minutes to fringe players and our youth players with potential. But then after him, it suddenly it gained significance under our failing managers. I wouldn't mind it if we had a manager who'd play young players in them to give them some valuable experience. But given that we still have Ten Hack at the helm, we know that he is incapable of properly rotating the squad. Just like last season, he is going to run same players into the ground and spoil our next season too, like he has this season.

There are only three trophies that matter - The League, the Champions League and the FA cup (because of it's historical significance).

If it was me, I would use this as an opportunity to trim our bloated squad. I would try to move on Van de Meek, Martial, Sancho & Varane and would send back Regulion. The players left would be enough to get us through in the league and the FA cup. I think one game a week for most weekends would also be beneficial for the likes of Casemiro, Rashford, Fernandez, Shaw and Martinez - the players who played relentlessly last season and as a result have shown signs of wear and tear in this one. If we get the much touted football structure under Jimmy Brexit, it would also give them a chance to assess the rest of the squad and plan our summer better.

UnitedWA

After we won it once I've lost all interest in Europa League and kinda hate it. If we can't reach Champions league through PL that means we are noot good enough.
Ans also I think we would be so bad in it this season that it's better to avoid more shameful matches.

Fahad Jawaid

There was a time in 2005 when going out of the group stage hurt me a lot. But I was 13 at that time. Now I am actually relieved that I didn’t have to suffer through the Thursday nights.

Actually with our injuries it would be better if we just concentrate on the league and get top 4 or top 5 whichever gets us to champions league.

Plus getting rid of ETH should be priority, because anybody new coming on should come hard on Antony, Mount, Onana, Dalot etc others and not give them a preferential treatment which ETH is giving.

crossy1686

career ending

We’ve got more chance of being relegated than winning the league. Absolutely insane that people have watched us this season and consider there to be a ‘chance’ that this could happen.

I’d like to remind people that winning the premier league is reserved for the best team in the league.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It's shite to be out of Europe - Europa included in all honesty - but one positive is the easing of game-load. We look lethargic and warn out, and it doesn't seem like we really recovered from the hectic schedule of last season.

Hopefully finishing the season with a game a week will allow players to regain fitness, it will also mean actually having time to work on some proper tactics in training.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The hope is the standard of football we produce should be much better - playing once a week versus playing twice a week is a big difference. Europa is not a great comp for me, I get it's a game to watch but I'd much rather watch us once a week and see a time compete for 90mins than the rag tag performances we've been served up so far. No guarantees this happens but undeniable it's more likely without all the extra games, travel and missed training sessions.
Is it really so or more wishful thinking.
Just look at Chelsea. Many here counted them to the title favorites due to having no international games. Worked out great for them, didn't it?

Your team is dysfunctional and no training can replace competitive matches. In these less attractive European games ETH would also get a clear picture on who he can really count on and who is only showing the necessary determination and passion in the big matches.

Gordon Godot

It's shite to be out of Europe - Europa included in all honesty - but one positive is the easing of game-load. We look lethargic and warn out, and it doesn't seem like we really recovered from the hectic schedule of last season.

Hopefully finishing the season with a game a week will allow players to regain fitness, it will also mean actually having time to work on some proper tactics in training.
Part of the reason is ETH refused to rotate. We have won a trophy but its one most of our peers play the reserve/ youth sides in. I doubt he will rotate more now.

Zora

There’s absolutely no point in us being in either Europa or Champions League, no chance we’d beat anyone decent over two legs.
Exactly. We would draw Liverpool in the semi final and get spanked 12-0 over two legs and @Andycoleno9 would lose his mind saying that we are the worst team ever and that we should have played Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar up front instead of Rashers.

RoyH1

The funny thing it that we'd concentrate on the league only to set the target of finishing top 4 so we can....

... play in Europe again next year.