Identifying with the squad

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone else starting to identify with this squad a bit more now?

I went through a phase of about 2 or 3 seasons where I just felt so disconnected from them like never before.

I think it was the Van Gaal and Mourinho effect. At times there was probably only a couple of players I really had any faith in with regards to both their personalities and their abilities. There were players like Young, Valencia and Smalling who I liked on a personal level but had trouble arguing for their performances and there were players like Pogba who I could appreciate his talents but had trouble arguing for his personal decisions at times.
Now we’ve got players like Bruno, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, McTominay, Rashford and Iglaho.

Even players like Shaw have made the step up into that bracket and Martial has, in my opinion, grown more in personality over the last 18 months.

I think there’s clearly issues in the squad still as Fred pointed out in that interview but on the face of it I think it’s looking like we have more of a team now than I can remember since Fergie retired.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I remember similar thread but in different direction I guess, something about not identifying with the squad. So maybe some work is done when it comes to recruitment and general attitude in the squad.

Strelok

At the moment Jose was about to got sacked I only want to keep the following players at Utd: DDG, Martial, Rashford, Shaw (yes Shaw), Pogba, Matic (yes Matic), Herrera. Which mean 7/11 of the first XI and with Romero, McT, Smalling, Dalot as backups so 11/25 of our whole squad.
Edit: I forgot at that time Jose rarely play both Rashford or Martial together so only 6/11 of the first XI imo. And Young was playing most of the time so 5/11 tbf.

Now I want to keep: DDG, Martial, Rashford, Shaw (yes Shaw), Pogba, Maguire, AWB, McT. That means 8/11 of the first XI and James, Fred, Romero, Lindelof, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, Williams, Smalling, Dalot as backups so 17/25 of our whole squad.
I posted this in Dec 2019.

Now I want to keep all our players bar Lingard, Pereira and Sanchez. I really dislike what Pogba and his fat scumbag agent has done to us however if he stays and would sort his head right I still want him. Would be very interesting to see how Ole could fit both him and Bruno into our first XI. If this ticks, it'd be devastating imho.

Of course we still need a big upgrade on the right wing. Some with a great left foot would be nice. And a world class DM, Matic is already 31.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Anyone else starting to identify with this squad a bit more now?

I went through a phase of about 2 or 3 seasons where I just felt so disconnected from them like never before.

I think it was the Van Gaal and Mourinho effect. At times there was probably only a couple of players I really had any faith in with regards to both their personalities and their abilities. There were players like Young, Valencia and Smalling who I liked on a personal level but had trouble arguing for their performances and there were players like Pogba who I could appreciate his talents but had trouble arguing for his personal decisions at times.
Now we’ve got players like Bruno, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, McTominay, Rashford and Iglaho.

Even players like Shaw have made the step up into that bracket and Martial has, in my opinion, grown more in personality over the last 18 months.

I think there’s clearly issues in the squad still as Fred pointed out in that interview but on the face of it I think it’s looking like we have more of a team now than I can remember since Fergie retired.
Yes matey, good post too. I remember posting a year or so ago and saying that for the first time in 34 years, I found myself not identifying with our team. for the first time I had no heroes out there on the pitch bar maybe DDG.

Not so now. They’re everywhere. I can see players fighting for the club and I love it. I am regularly enjoying watching us play and looking forward to games.

It’s not just the upturn in results but more the metamorphosis of the team. There’s battlers everywhere and a developing understanding growing between players. AWB and Maguire, maybe not the most exciting transfers in the summer are brilliant, honest and hardworking signings that should be with us for years to come. Shaw has literally grown in stature in front of our eyes this season and currently he is performing (and looking) like a beast.

Fred has been amazing to watch. Not only for what he’s giving the team but how he’s overcome a very difficult start to his Utd career. He’s right up there now for me, love the guy and he looks genuinely a happy and committed player and person.

Bruno ... cherry on the trifle. He’s only played a handful of games but I know instantly what I’m watching. He’s got potential to become a talking point for us for years to come.

Great to see, just great. I’m loving the team again as well as the club.

lysglimt

Scout
What we have here today is a team that it's easy to like - and it scares me that there are still people here who want to replace OGS in the summer.

We have a team that is working their socks off for each other. A team that loves the manager, and a manager that loves the players.

And it will take time, but it will pay off in the long run

Raw

It's the first time in a while where I don't think the majority of the squad are absolute twats. There's a real togetherness now and it's thanks to Ole and his focus on bringing that culture back. I'm so desperate for Ole to be a success here.