If C.Ronaldo is removed from the discussion: who are modern greats at heading?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In regards to DCL mentions here I’d actually rate Richy above DCL for headers in the box. DCL is better overall in the air all over the pitch though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I laughed at this bit, ol’ fifty pence head Maguire loves finding the stands with a header.
It really feels like D&D at times. You’ve won the header, now roll the dice to determine the direction of your shot.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Is this assessment incorrect? Removing Ronaldo: If you construct a top 5 great goalscoring headers of the ball, does anyone under 29 or so make the cut? If not, why do you think that is? And additionally, is Ronaldo the last all-time level header(er?) of a ball we'll ever see (directly in relation to CTE concerns and the future marginalisation of the skill)?
Agree with this. Training and player development has changed to reflect the short passing game embraced since the late 2000s. I don't think either academy kids or first-team players will be working on high crossing drills anywhere near as often as 30 years ago. Heading is something you need to be working on regularly to get the timing right and it's pretty obvious it's not prioritised amongst many forwards who find themselves on the end of crosses into the penalty area. Even the short centre-forwards in the 1990s were mostly still effective in the air - the likes of Larsson, Owen, Riedle, Kirsten, McCoist, Les Ferdinand, Fowler - were all well under 6ft and usually the smaller guy in their strike partnerships, yet they were trained to attack a ball in the air and scored plenty of headers. Generalising here, but what we have produced instead is a generation of forwards who are very sharp on the deck, but hopeless in the air.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Defensively I have been amazed by Roberto Ayala. Vidic was also a fantastic one, such as John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ramos etc

But as a number 9, Morientes was outstanding. Miroslav Klose too.

KeanoMagicHat

Falcao and Tim Cahill two examples showing you don’t have to be big to be good in the air.

And how could I forget as an Irishman, Shane Duffy is the one of the best headers of the ball I’ve ever seen, he’s made a career out of it. Amazing in the air defence and attack.

OmarUnited4ever

someone said it before me, Bierhoff was the best header of the ball in his generation. he was tall and physically strong, but i guess Ronaldo has the huge leap which allows him to connect to high balls.

EtH

No one under 30 springs to mind.

The Little Pea is the goat header(er).

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Most attacking aerial players that come to mind in recent seasons (in the prem) all trend towards the older side. Cavani, Antonio, Benteke, Jimenez, Llorente, Michu

OP said, recent player under 29. Probably Calvert-Lewin? Van Dijk and Mane are pretty good also.
I think he's brilliant aerially. He's got a great leap and timing. Excellent in the air.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Did anyone even read the OP?
I didn't!

Although OP could have just made the title "Is anyone below the age of 29 really good at headers?" if that's what he wanted to know. Then the fact that nobody automatically named someone below that age when thinking of the best at heading in recent times answered that part anyway and largely confirms what he was thinking I suppose.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Maybe a bit early, but i'd like to mention De Ligt, he's already nearing 20 headed goals at 22.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Agree with this. Training and player development has changed to reflect the short passing game embraced since the late 2000s. I don't think either academy kids or first-team players will be working on high crossing drills anywhere near as often as 30 years ago.
Very true. Even in an informal sense this had dropped a lot, but this summer there's actually official guidance from the FA on reducing the amount of higher force headers in training. I think it's a maximum of 10 over any given training week. Which will obviously be massively different compared to decades ago.

I think this is more pertinent to top flight football, as the disparity between the PL and the next three leagues is pretty staggering when it comes to how often the ball is headed. It's obviously a more important skill (or at least a more applied skill) in those divisions. This is sometimes beneficial to players who climb the leagues, like Antonio and Austin who have that edge aerially. I think having an education well down the pyramid gives them a lot of in-game experience when it comes to in the air stuff, and it can be a useful talent in the top leagues where a lot of the players will have less experience in that facet of the game.

indianabones2021

Supports
WBA
Slightly off topic. I want to see how these guys go into their 40s/50s/60s given the amount of bashing their heads have taken.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Jardel and Falcao

Jardel is possibly the only player I can think of that is not inferior to Ronaldo in heading, he was just a monster with his positioning, heading power and heading accuracy.
Falcao also has an amazing heading technique, with both power and accuracy, so yes also an amazing header even if not very tall.

Jacob

Tim Cahill was a beast in the air. Used to play him as a striker next to Fellaini on FIFA. Needless to say, more than half of my goals were headers.

telstar96

I doubt an opposing view can even be formulated to C.Ronaldo being one of the best headers of a ball in the entire history of the game. If he connects cleanly with a cross, a goal or solid attempt at goal is guaranteed.

What I thought when watching his latest exploit is: who else out there could you say the same of? In that exact scenario, if you removed Ronaldo and put in other players, who else would you give high odds of scoring to?

Concerns over CTE and a general aversion from teams to cross high in general has lessened heading as an art, in my view; the days of star headers of a ball seem long gone. The likes of Oliver Bierhoff and Karlheinz Ridle, or even Miroslav Klose having no modern-day equivalence and Ronaldo himself being an anachronistic throwback by now kind of makes clear heading is nowhere near as important in a coaching curriculum as it used to be.

If I'm not wrong in my musing, the next rung down of good headers of the ball are all close to retirement themselves, with what they were coached not really being seen in the younger players coming up. Cavani, Lewandowski, Sergio Ramos are players who instantly come to mind as I'm typing this.

Is this assessment incorrect? Removing Ronaldo: If you construct a top 5 great goalscoring headers of the ball, does anyone under 29 or so make the cut? If not, why do you think that is? And additionally, is Ronaldo the last all-time level header(er?) of a ball we'll ever see (directly in relation to CTE concerns and the future marginalisation of the skill)?
Times are definitely changing. I think as the game has developed, the number of headed goals has decreased rapidly, to the point that it will eventually be phased out of the game.

That being said, of the current crop of players, there are still some amazing headers of the ball.
My current top 5 excluding Ronaldo would be (in no particular order):
  1. Ramos
  2. Griezmann
  3. Calvert-Lewin
  4. Falcao
  5. Benteke
Of all-time, I'd say it's between Sandor Kocsis, Dixie Dean or Oliver Bierhoff. The later is very easy to find footage of, but the other two is just based on what I've read. Kocsis was apparently an absolute phenom in the air, as was Dean.

arnie_ni

From the relatively recent ones, Falcao was incredible. He wasn't the tallest — he was actually relatively short, but he had the same unique ability to adjust to the ball at any height, ridiculous leap and, obviously, innate goalscoring instinct.

Falcao was so so so good. I was over the moon when we signed him

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Slightly off topic. I want to see how these guys go into their 40s/50s/60s given the amount of bashing their heads have taken.
Sadly there's a lot of correlation between heading & dementia (and other relates diseases). It's hardly visible in the 40's but in the elder age... scarily high percentage of the stars from the 1960's and 1970's have some kind of neurocognitive issues.

Here's an article from the time where Denis Law had announced his diagnosis:
The Guardian said:
Law is not alone in battling the condition, with the Football Association supporting two ongoing research studies examining former professionals for early signs of neurocognitive degeneration. The England World Cup winners Nobby Stiles, Jack Charlton, Ray Wilson and Martin Peters are among those to have died from the disease, while Sir Bobby Charlton was diagnosed with dementia in November.
Gerd Müller, who had recently passed away, struggled with dementia, spending his last year lying in bed, not being able to talk etc.

sillwuka

Cavani, if i had to put my life on the line.

He seems to to be able to manipulate his body in the right positions to get a header off whether it's sent in low or high.

Kramer

Tim Cahill was brilliant in the air.

Another one was Chicharito. Not the biggest but a dynamite in the box and a natural at heading it in.

Of the current Premier League players, Cavani has to be the best.
DCL is already good and seems he’ll become great at.
Lukaku is also not bad.

Outside of the league, Ibrahimovic has also been prolific. I think Haaland will eventually develop this as well. Lord knows he’s got the attributes.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
OP asks for players under 30 and we’ve had an Andy Gray mention :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cavani

He has scored 50 headed goals out of his 296 goals in 467 games. Thats more than his left footed goals of which he has 47

Falcao has 30 in 292 games on whoscored
6 of his 10 PL goals for us since joining are headers too. Guy loves it

Momochiru

Sadly there's a lot of correlation between heading & dementia (and other relates diseases). It's hardly visible in the 40's but in the elder age... scarily high percentage of the stars from the 1960's and 1970's have some kind of neurocognitive issues.

Gerd Müller, who had recently passed away, struggled with dementia, spending his last year lying in bed, not being able to talk etc.
Yes, there is a correlation between heading & dementia, however there are hundreds of millions of non-footballers worldwide who also get dementia in old age. Just naming a few footballers who got it is anecdotal evidence and really means nothing.

From studies that I have read it seems that heading a football by itself is not really causing brain damage because it's not strong enough to cause concussion. The reason most likely are head clashes, or other concussion causing hard hits to the head such as elbows, shoulders, knees, even collisions with the goalposts. Obviously some of these such as head clashes happen when trying to head the ball, so there is a correlation there. But there are a lot of elbows to the head and such that are totally intentional and done for tactical purposes. I'm especially angry when I see one player trying to cleanly head the ball, but a second player who doesn't have a chance to win it still attacks aggressively and just headbutts the first guy to prevent him from heading. Most of the times these are defenders and you could see they know very well what they are doing. This should be a straight red in my opinion, but very rarely given.

There were a few small studies, such as the scottish one that showed 2-3 times increased risk in footballers, but these studies didn't control for confounding factors, so they were not completely conclusive. What we need is a large study (tens or even better hundreds of thousands of subjects) who got dementia, so you could control for all the confounding factors such as diet and lifestyle, obesity, family history, other morbidities such as diabetes and heart disease, occupational hasards (this would include professional football, boxing, american football, etc.), total number of concussions suffered, etc. I think a study like this would confirm already growing evidence that concussions are the main risk factor.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Here's an article from the time where Denis Law had announced his diagnosis:

To be fair, Muller also had one hell of an alcohol addiction which probably contributed more to his condition than heading a football.