If Celtic were in the Championship, would they win it?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Remove one of the relegation fodder club's and put Celtic in their place. Would Celtic win the Championship? If not, where do you think they would place at the end of the 46-game campaign?

James Peril

With their current team, they would finish right below the middle. No chance of promoting, they won't have the Champions League-backing from their crowd on a Wednesday against Burton.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Remove one of the relegation fodder club's and put Celtic in their place. Would Celtic win the Championship? If not, where do you think they would place at the end of the 46-game campaign?
Top 6 but not win it. They could sneak a play off promotion though.
Depends on what they spend and who they get too, I suppose.

Minimalist

I don't think it would be a done thing. They'd probably manage it at some stage over 3-5 seasons though after the money poured in.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Is Celtic's level really that low that they couldn't win the championship if they were in it?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes.

Rodgers' football is well suited to racking up points against lesser opposition.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Interesting. I'd have thought, without actually watching too much of the Scottish league, they'd have been a decent mid table team in the EPL - thus assuming they'd win the championship. But i guess i overrate them/their league quite a bit.

Deleted member 101472

Id say in recent years there have been teams just as good as Celtic, or better, who haven’t won that league.

I wouldn’t be confident of winning it in the first year adjustment period, but definitely within a few years they would put up 100+ points.

El General 1994

I'd like to ask the question:

If Celtic and Rangers were in the PL (and providing, they had the players to survive and establish themselves as PL clubs), how long would it take them to make waves in the money league?

IMHO, they would overtake clubs like Newcastle and Everton in no time.

Minimalist

To be fair, instant success or not:

...best teeth in the fcuking game

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not sure about the Celtic of this season, tbh. The CL is a good measure of their ability and they were consistently tonked by Bayern and PSG (obviously two really good teams). Past Celtic teams have performed far better in the CL and I'd say they'd have given the PL a good go. I reckon they'd be a top 10 team in the Championship.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you believe anyone who's ever been associated with Celtic then they'd challenge for the top 4 in the PL let alone the Championship... they're fecking idiots of course

Dion

The game being the Grand National?

Not sure if they would win it first year, but if they had a bit of experience in that league their team would smash it every year.

RoyH1

Yes, they'd win it. And after a couple of years they'd be a solid tier 2 Premiership team. Being in the PL would give them the financial security that the SPL simply doesn't have.

If Celtic and Rangers were in the PL (and providing, they had the players to survive and establish themselves as PL clubs), how long would it take them to make waves in the money league?

I think so too.

Deleted member 101472

Page one of a thread on whether Celtic could win the championship (excellent bait thread @Fortitude ) and it’s already about how well they’d do in the PL.

I think theyd be in the middle to begin with and would make the playoffs within a year or two.

They couldn't cope with the constant turnover of tough games in season one but after they strengthened the squad they've got the quality to mix it with the PL yo-yo teams.

Fingeredmouse

I think they’d have a very good chance of doing so...they would be the biggest team in the league by miles and would attract players and investment (Celtic in the EPL is an absolute goldmine).

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
In a word, no.

Without real competition they are soft and have it easy. Teams who are hungry and used to scrapping for survival/promotion would smash them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes.

Rodgers' football is well suited to racking up points against lesser opposition.
In what ways do you think their team is superior on the pitch?

:lol:
Page one of a thread on whether Celtic could win the championship (excellent bait thread @Fortitude ) and it’s already about how well they’d do in the PL.
Not baiting.. :angel:

The championship is cut throat and the teams in it are battle-hardened. Every game is a graft and the schedule is incessant. It's far removed from the procession Celtic have up in Scotland.

Think it's a threadworthy topic, tbh.

kentafuji

mid table at best I reckon

Average squad, that looks good in a weak league.

Plenty of prem teams have dropped down and struggled to come back up straight away, I think that shows how tough the championship is.

Deleted member 101472

The championship is cut throat and the teams in it are battle-hardened. Every game is a graft and the schedule is incessant. It's far removed from the procession Celtic have up in Scotland.

Yeah it’s hard to say what the first season would turn out like, but I’m pretty confident that with the money available and the fact that their support and stadium dwarves the rest of the league, it wouldn’t be long before they won it relatively easy.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's not stupid to think a club of their size wouldn't eventually win it, and probably be a constant PL team given enough time.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hard league to predict but eventually when the get into the premiership their fan base would rival almost anyone. Not sure the fan base promotes enough money but around the world they are huge.

Red_Aaron

Not straight away no.
You only have to watch the recent Scottish Cup final versus the playoff final to see the difference in quality at this point in time.

With a couple of seasons adjustment though they could and I think they could be a comfortably established prem team within 10 years, pushing for the europa places

Alfie092

I think in their first season maybe a playoff finish before eventually getting knocked out. IMO, with the size of the club they would get promoted after 2-3 seasons in the Championship before establishing themselves as a midtable PL team, then eventually compete for the European spots but that would take a long time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In what ways do you think their team is superior on the pitch?

:lol:
Not baiting.. :angel:

They've got clear PL quality at left-back, through the centre of the midfield and off the striker. Agree with what you're saying about the teams in the Championship, and it's about how Celtic would cope with some of the more direct football which is delivered by a better calibre of player than what they're used to coming up against. That said, Celtic have plenty of depth as well to manage the busier schedule. And frankly there's a lot of dross at the bottom of the Premier League with inflated reputations from the bloated wages and transfer fees in the heated English market. Celtic have also got resources they are saving for a rainy day to allow them to strengthen further. Unlikely that they would run away with it, but they'd certainly be in the mixer and I'd back them for promotion at least.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Can't say I watch them but it won't stop me from giving a completely uninformed opinion!

They have quite a few players who I think would go well at that level based off pedigree/rep/my perception. These are Gordon, Tierney, Lustig, Compper (if they can get him fit), Brown and Nitcham. Sinclair, Dembele and de Vries have all performed well in that league before.

Rogic, Griffiths and Boyata might be useful too.

I don't think they'd do it though. I'm concerned that they 'only' scored 73 goals and got 82 points compared to 106 and 106 the previous year. They might be on the decline. Plus, well Villa and Fulham didn't manage to win it, they have stacked squads for that level too. I'd go for playoffs.

Deleted member 101472

Can't say I watch them but it won't stop me from giving a completely uninformed opinion!

They have quite a few players who I think would go well at that level based off pedigree/rep/my perception. These are Gordon, Tierney, Lustig, Compper (if they can get him fit), Brown and Nitcham. Sinclair, Dembele and de Vries have all performed well in that league before.

Rogic, Griffiths and Boyata might be useful too.

I don't think they'd do it though. I'm concerned that they 'only' scored 73 goals and got 82 points compared to 106 and 106 the previous year. They might be on the decline. Plus, well Villa and Fulham didn't manage to win it, they have stacked squads for that level too. I'd go for playoffs.
We need to chat :)

Chipper

Adulterer.
We need to chat :)
Maybe we do, here's my extensive reasoning.

Lustig - shit loads of caps for Sweden, can't be all that bad
Boyata - I remember him for City, he wasn't very good but we're talking the Championship and Belgium don't have that much depth at the back but at least he's managed to get a few caps

Also, it's key to remember that however bad these players might be, Paul Mcshane has been to the playoffs on numerous occasions. 3 or 4 times I think. :p

Deleted member 101472

Maybe we do, here's my extensive reasoning.

Lustig - shit loads of caps for Sweden, can't be all that bad
Boyata - I remember him for City, he wasn't very good but we're talking the Championship and Belgium don't have that much depth at the back but at least he's managed to get a few caps

Also, it's key to remember that however bad these players might be, Paul Mcshane has been to the playoffs on numerous occasions. 3 or 4 times I think. :p
Both were pretty bad last season and lustigs decline has been quite stunning. If rangers and Celtic swapped right backs at the beginning of last season, Celtic would have won the league by even more points and rangers would have finished 4th.

tommyb18

Supports
Celtic
I have been browsing this forum for years and decided to finally sign up to post in the Tierney thread but I haven't got around to yet.

Anyway I am a Celtic fan, season ticket holder for many years etc etc.

The simple answer to this question is No, with the current squad, we would not. Maybe somewhere in around 5-8 place.

However if we did somehow manage to get into the Championship we would go on a spending spree that will have rarely been seen outside the Premier League.

It's worth bearing in mind that 2 of our major shareholders have a net worth of over £5 Billion and although we are a PLC they would certainly open up an avenue of loans and overdrafts in the hundreds of millions.

A club that is presently valued at around £170 or so million on the stock exchange that has the potential to increase 3 fold in the space of a year or two would have investors falling over themselves to get involved.

Realistically if Celtic were in the English system there would only be 4 maybe 5 clubs with a bigger brand appeal.

I don't think it will ever happen. If it was going to happen it would have been Sky pushing the agenda many years ago so for me that ship has sailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akshay

JBoi

Realistically they would be scrapping for playoff places. Being a Aberdeen fan i have seen a lot of them. Compared to the rest of the teams in the SPL, they are miles ahead, both in wages they can pay and transfers they can afford. Second best team in the league (Aberdeen) could only afford to spend around £500k last year (and still finish above Rangers :smirk:), Celtic spent £10M. But you just have to look at their performances in Europe to show that they just can't complete at a higher level. Having said that, they have a few good players in Tierney, McGregor, Armstrong and Dembele. And given a few years in the championship, with the money they would bring in from TV rights etc, I'm sure they would quickly start competing. Bearing in mind that the EPL takes in £1.71 billion, Danish league £46M, Polish league £28M Switzerland £25M and the SPL take a total of £18M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akshay

padr81

Supports
Man City

A Newcastle is exactly what they'd become imho, a club with a huge fanbase but never having the money to make the step up. Unless of course they got bought by a billionaire. Fans and passion will only get you so far.

Luke1995

I'd love to see Celtic/Rangers in the PL or the Championship. I mean, if Swansea and Cardiff have been offered that opportunity. Why it was never seriously considered ?