"If I had been born ugly...

SteveW

He wasnt arrogant. George was cocky and had great self belief. He was also very friendly and engaging and happy to talk to anyone. I think cocky is a better word than arrogant because of his friendly, engaging personality.
That's the thing. The impression I have is of a very nice, genuine guy. Yet some of his quotes make him seem like the type of person you would walk the other way to avoid. Imagine having a pint with someone spouting some of that shite. Strange that he felt the need to big himself up so much. I guess he was mainly playing up to his audience who probably lapped it up. Hope this doesn't come across as me slating the guy btw. Loved him to bits.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
That's the thing. The impression I have is of a very nice, genuine guy. Yet some of his quotes make him seem like the type of person you would walk the other way to avoid. Imagine having a pint with someone spouting some of that shite. Strange that he felt the need to big himself up so much. I guess he was mainly playing up to his audience who probably lapped it up. Hope this doesn't come across as me slating the guy btw. Loved him to bits.
No not at all, I can understand where you are coming from.

I think the problem is that you are reading quotes but haven't seen him saying them. There was always a twinkle in his eye. I think for me anyway that is the difference between arrogance and being cocky.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Not even sure if Cristiano Ronaldo was as unplayable when he was at United at George in his best. Very fairly rated as arguably the best dribbler in football history.

Who is the goalkeeper featuring in the 2 goals from 4.08 onwards? If he's alive he must still be having nightmares about that day.

(edited)

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Alcohol, trying to entertain or mock himself, while being a superstar would be my guess. Some quotes might be from after his playing career. From video, he doesn't seem like someone who took himself too seriously in a lot of aspects.

The White Pele

Who is the goalkeeper featuring in the 2 goals from 4.08 onwards? If he's alive he must still be having nightmares about that day.

(edited)
Northampton goalkeeper Kim Book. I think there was a joke going around for a while following that game that Book and Best passed each other in the street, Best on one side, Book on the other, Best nods to him and Book dived under a bus.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Northampton goalkeeper Kim Book. I think there was a joke going around for a while following that game that Book and Best passed each other in the street, Best on one side, Book on the other, Best nods to him and Book dived under a bus.
Hah! Not surprised :lol:

Just looked it up and Best scored 6 against him that day!

Lastwolf

It's not that hard to reconcile, it's cheeky over the top bravado to get a rise out of the reporter he's talking to, he's basically trolling to put it in modern terms, he just happened to also have the raw ability to do half the shit he said.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Am I the only person here who has always found some of his quotes a bit strange. By all accounts he was a nice, quiet, unassuming sort yet some of the things he said over the years make him sound so arrogant I almost cringe when I read them. What made him think quotes like the thread title were really necessary? They don't really fit the image I have of him. Then again not much about George made that much sense.

RIP
No I have some not overly fond thoughts on George Best. And I certainly do not celebrate Best the ladies man and drinker. This led to some unforgivable things for me. I cant think of many wife beating drink drivers who somehow didnt have their public perception ruined by their actions

I prefer to only think of the great videos of him playing football than the person

Moriarty

Brother of Tony Book. Bestie used to give him nightmares too.