"If I had been born ugly...

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Never saw him play, but have older family members and friends who have. The way they describe him is incredible.

RIP.

Annahnomoss

Not even sure if Cristiano Ronaldo was as unplayable when he was at United at George in his best. Very fairly rated as arguably the best dribbler in football history.

RedRover

The man was a legend. One of the greatest players, and greatest characters in the game.

RIP

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
RIP

P.s. Can someone explain the thread title quote to this simpleton please? I don't get it :nervous:

Jammydodger7

RIP

P.s. Can someone explain the thread title quote to this simpleton please? I don't get it :nervous:
I'm guessing, he's saying if he was ugly he wouldn't of had the women or playboy lifestyle and would have had a much longer playing career

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
RIP.

Never saw him play, which adds even more to his aura as one reads up on his life and achievements. One of the most gifted, flawed, complex, sometimes misunderstood individuals of all time. Will always have a place in the pantheon of football gods.

NessunDorma

Imagine him with new-fangled lightweight balls, pristine pitches and defenders who aren't allowed to kick ten kinds of sh*te out of you anymore.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Being posted a few times before but still my favourite Best moment
Even the greatest George Best fans had to admit, by 1976, that his best days were well behind him. 30 years old. Addicted to alcohol. Kicked out of Manchester United. George Best, many argued, was now a pale shadow of the genius dribbler he used to be.

That’s also what Dutch journalist Bert Nederlof thought. With the Holland vs Northern Ireland World Cup qualifier approaching, Nederlof was assigned the task to write a portrait of George Best. Nederlof flew to London to watch Best play for his new club Fulham against Southampton. After 90 minutes, Nederlof had seen enough. He wrote that Best was a fallen superstar no longer able to do what it takes to be a good footballer. Nederlof would soon regret those words.

A few hundred miles away, British journalist Bill Elliot was traveling with the Irish squad to the stadium where they’d meet Holland. The Orange squad, and their captain Johan Cruyff, in 1976, were synonymous with greatness. Elliot asked Best what he thought of Cruyff. “Outstanding”. “Better than you?”. George looked at the journalist and laughed. ‘You’re kidding aren’t you? I tell you what I’ll do tonight… I’ll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.”

What follows is Elliot’s description. “Five minutes into the game Best received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff’s feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.”

“Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening.”

While there doesn’t exist video evidence of this historic scene, Nederlof confirms that Best had played an absolutely incredible match, inspiring small Northern Ireland to a 2-2 draw against the best team in the world. “After the game, I caught the eye of the Dutch coach, Jan Zwartkruis. He gave me the most cold stare I’ve ever witnessed. Perhaps I shouldn’t have told him before the game that Best was nothing to worry about”.

Blue always red

Imagine him with new-fangled lightweight balls, pristine pitches and defenders who aren't allowed to kick ten kinds of sh*te out of you anymore.
Yep, this is why I always see it as being weird when people class players as the best of all-time. The best of their generation, sure but the best of all-time doesn't really work with the advancements in football.

Magnus

Another mad swede
Never saw him play but my dad did. Always great to here when he was in the Stretford End and the way he describes Charlton, Stiles, Law and especially Best. When I listen to him I´m amazed they ever lost a single football-match. Hope there is songs to the tribute of Georgie this weekend, since I´ll be at OT with my dad

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have told this before in Best threads but it won't hurt again as some may not have seen it.
A number of years myself and a couple of mates attended a George Best speaking function. At the function you could buy a photo and George would autograph it for you. We have a good mate called Joe who is an absolute Liverpool fanatic. Has the photo of him at Anfield etc framed and of pride of place in his living room. He also absolutely hates Utd. We asked George if he could autograph a photo and address it to Joe as it was coming up to Joe's 40th birthday and we thought it would be a great laugh to give it to Joe as his 40th present. George was happy to do so.
At Joe's 40th birthday we handed over the now framed photo. Joe unwrapped it and looked at it. George had written " To Joe, feck OFF!, signed George Best. It sits beside his photo of Anfield on his living room wall.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have told this before in Best threads but it won't hurt again as some may not have seen it.
A number of years myself and a couple of mates attended a George Best speaking function. At the function you could buy a photo and George would autograph it for you. We have a good mate called Joe who is an absolute Liverpool fanatic. Has the photo of him at Anfield etc framed and of pride of place in his living room. He also absolutely hates Utd. We asked George if he could autograph a photo and address it to Joe as it was coming up to Joe's 40th birthday and we thought it would be a great laugh to give it to Joe as his 40th present. George was happy to do so.
At Joe's 40th birthday we handed over the now framed photo. Joe unwrapped it and looked at it. George had written " To Joe, feck OFF!, signed George Best. It sits beside his photo of Anfield on his living room wall.

:lol: That's great

Santos J

:lol:

Annahnomoss

That is a brilliant story. :lol::lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Brilliant!

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
:lol:

RIP george

you were not only one of the best, but the coolest of the best :cool:

gasmanc

Banned
:lol: Owned by the Best.

RIP

SteveW

Am I the only person here who has always found some of his quotes a bit strange. By all accounts he was a nice, quiet, unassuming sort yet some of the things he said over the years make him sound so arrogant I almost cringe when I read them. What made him think quotes like the thread title were really necessary? They don't really fit the image I have of him. Then again not much about George made that much sense.

RIP

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Am I the only person here who has always found some of his quotes a bit strange. By all accounts he was a nice, quiet, unassuming sort yet some of the things he said over the years make him sound so arrogant I almost cringe when I read them. What made him think quotes like the thread title were really necessary? They don't really fit the image I have of him. Then again not much about George made that much sense.

RIP
That's folklore buddy (that aside) what a legend and what a player (greatest ever) definitely up there!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Imagine him without the demons.

Such a shame he pissed it all away.

Absolute legend of the club and a fantastic player.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

RIP
He wasnt arrogant. George was cocky and had great self belief. He was also very friendly and engaging and happy to talk to anyone. I think cocky is a better word than arrogant because of his friendly, engaging personality.