If Jose gets the job what does it mean for Mata?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't think Jose will get the job. It'd be funny if Mata was sold twice consecutively by Mourinho though. (And tragic. The Caf would weep collectively.)

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Depends how he rates our current players in his position. If he thinks the likes of Valencia is better for our right wing than him, or Rooney and Kagawa are better in the #10, then he may not be favoured again. He got rid of him because he like Hazard, Oscar and Willian more in their positions, but he may think differently at United.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Depends how he rates our current players in his position. If he thinks the likes of Valencia is better for our right wing than him, or Rooney and Kagawa are better in the #10, then he may not be favoured again. He got rid of him because he like Hazard, Oscar and Willian more in their positions, but he may think differently at United.
Well its fair to say he wouldn't drop Rooney

Ibi Dreams

Not a chance Jose will be our new manager. Though to play along, I don't think it would be bad for Mata. At Chelsea Jose obviously had a player who he trusted and wanted more for the same position - at United he wouldn't have that problem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He would probably play

RvP
Welbeck - Rooney - New winger

And it wouldn't be entertaining in the slightest.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What happens to Mata is an interesting question though, regardless of the Mourinho factor. We've still got two big name, big money strikers and there's not an obvious way they all fit in. Van Gaal says he prefers a number 10 as a midfielder "that goes" rather than a striker that drops back, and also prefer a "thinker" as opposed to a "runner" in the position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah posters with "thought" didn't consider David Moyes as a viable candidate last year
Everyone and their mum knew we were getting Moyes, we just didn't want to believe it.

Zak Smith

You could ask the same of Van Gaal who is certain to play Rooney and RvP, and quickly decide that Mata cannot be played on the right wing.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He wouldn't have the players available in the rest of the squad to be able to afford pushing Mata out like he did at Chelsea.

LR7

Yeah posters with "thought" didn't consider David Moyes as a viable candidate last year
If only the board thought the same we could have saved ourselves some time and hassle.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
After Fergie announced his retirement, it became blatantly obvious that Moyes would be the replacement. He was also probably in the top 2 of people likely to replace Fergie throughout the whole of last year as well.

Not sure what brought this thread on to be honest.

charlenefan

He wouldn't have the players available in the rest of the squad to be able to afford pushing Mata out like he did at Chelsea.
I would say its a lot easier validating leaving Mata out of our starting XI with Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Januzaj and Kagawa as alternatives than Oscar, Hazard and William

crossy1686

career ending
Jose won't get the job but the reason he sold Mata was because he didn't fit into the Chelsea team. Mata fits into our team so there would be no need to sell. However he would probably happily sell Fellani, Young, Nani, Anderson, Valencia, Hernandez, Cleverly and Smalling tomorrow, I don't think we'd have many buyers though.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Everyone and their mum knew we were getting Moyes, we just didn't want to believe it.
I don't mean in the event I meant the chances of him being his successor. Jose was heavily tipped back then
Jose won't get the job but the reason he sold Mata was because he didn't fit into the Chelsea team. Mata fits into our team so there would be no need to sell. However he would probably happily sell Fellani, Young, Nani, Anderson, Valencia, Hernandez, Cleverly and Smalling tomorrow, I don't think we'd have many buyers though.
I think we would get shot of them alright. Id try to hold on to Hernandez one more year but thats just me

charlenefan

Why Smalling? I think Jose would love Tony V as well

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I would say its a lot easier validating leaving Mata out of our starting XI with Rooney, RVP, Welbeck, Januzaj and Kagawa as alternatives than Oscar, Hazard and William
Well Mata isn't going to play upfront so the strikers aren't going to provide alternatives - but if you had to pick 3 players to play behind a lone striker (RVP in your case) would you really rather Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj over Hazard, Oscar and Willian? If Mourinho got hold of your squad I actually think it would be RVP who loses out - Rooney up top with Mata, Kagawa and one other in behind, all playing in front of 2 new solid central midfielders.

charlenefan

Well Mata isn't going to play upfront so the strikers aren't going to provide alternatives - but if you had to pick 3 players to play behind a lone striker (RVP in your case) would you really rather Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj over Hazard, Oscar and Willian? If Mourinho got hold of your squad I actually think it would be RVP who loses out - Rooney up top with Mata, Kagawa and one other in behind, all playing in front of 2 new solid central midfielders.
I'd have Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj over the Chelsea trio all day long yes

Revan

Assumptionman
You could ask the same of Van Gaal who is certain to play Rooney and RvP, and quickly decide that Mata cannot be played on the right wing.
How do you know that? RVP is very likely considering that he is his Holland captain, but Rooney? It might happen or not. We are talking for the player who played a 19 years old Muller and a crapy Olic on Bayern while leaving on the bench the best goalscorer of German national team (Klose), the last season top goalscorer of Bundesliga (Toni) and the player who broke the transfer record on Germany (Gomez). We are talking for a person who sees things differently to most of people, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see some surprising decisions by him (like not playing Rooney as a starter).

Moriarty

Hang on a mo; Jose's in the frame now? Does anyone reckon United will sound him out given Charlton's comments a while back? Personally, I wouldn't object to Maureen taking over but I can't see him chucking Chelsea when he's just got his feet back under the table and might well get to the European Cup final with them. Still, stranger things have happened.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Jose wont be getting the job. If the man had even an ounce of sense he would have behaved himself this year as he saw Moyes having trouble. Instead he has behaved more childishly than he ever did before, and that took some doing.

redtilldead123

Jose is a great manager but not made in the Utd mould so nothing to worry about.

Also Moyes was chosen over him when he was available so I'm not sure he would even consider want to come

Moriarty

Jose is a great manager but not made in the Utd mould so nothing to worry about.

Also Moyes was chosen over him when he was available so I'm not sure he would even consider want to come
There's a school of thought that Jose would adopt the "United Way" and be changed, rather than carry on the way he's always done. Personally, I don't think you could ever knock the pragmatist out of Jose, but you might be able to take some of the edges off.

dev1l

There's a school of thought that Jose would adopt the "United Way" and be changed, rather than carry on the way he's always done. Personally, I don't think you could ever knock the pragmatist out of Jose, but you might be able to take some of the edges off.
not so sure of that.