If our defence is so bad why is it so good?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why are you persisting with this? If we follow this logic, then Liverpool yesterday played with 3 defensive midfielders, a ball winning midfielder at fullback and a defensive CF. Which of course would be a silly way of looking at it. Still waiting for all these teams that play with 2 creative midfielders and a DM by the way.

Alexander-Trent has produced more assists then Rashford, Bruno, Martial and McT combined. Combined Robinson and Alexander-Trent had produced 19 assists in the EPL while our entire squad had produced 28 assists. Meanwhile our defence produced just 3 assists in the EPL. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Nickelodeon

The lack of overlaps from our full backs is the only thing I would criticize about our defence/defenders. You can always class a full back as not being good offensively, but the lack of overlapping runs across both sides is definitely down to the system. Overall, in the last 12 games, 3 goals conceded. Romero howler vs. Brugge, De Gea vs. Everton, De Gea Vs Spurs. In terms of organization, we've been good. Not Vidic-Fedinand-VDS 2008-09 type brilliant, mind you.

Smores

Again, you're conflating player quality for actual defensive numbers.

We don't play football like Jose Mourinho. We actively try to control games. We just lack the actual quality to do it.
This is the issue isn't it. People have spent so long moaning about defensive Jose they're unable to now take any accusations of defensiveness without it being an insult. Move on people.

We're a low block countering team it necessitates a high number of people who can do the job in the defensive phase otherwise we'd be stuffed.

If you think our defence would last in some of Sir Alex's actual attacking teams then you're off your head.

croadyman

I do wish Ole would give this Bailly & Maguire partnership a proper go. They did so well at Chelsea.

That is a few times this season that Maguire or Lindelof have been done for pace and led to a goal.

Reactions: 711

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Alexander-Trent has produced more assists then Rashford, Bruno, Martial and McT combined. Combined Robinson and Alexander-Trent had produced 19 assists in the EPL while our entire squad had produced 28 assists. Meanwhile our defence produced just 3 assists in the EPL. Let that sink in.
So that makes Martial, Rashford and Bruno defensive players? You're not even following your own logic here. You've quoted a post from @DWelbz19 who said you're conflating quality and defensive numbers, then proceeded to do just that. You're literally comparing a FB with a Striker in a discussion about defensive numbers. So Martial is a defensive player now, too?

devilish

Again, you're conflating player quality for actual defensive numbers.

We don't play football like Jose Mourinho. We actively try to control games. We just lack the actual quality to do it.
Maybe you're right. However we spent 130m on two defenders who produced just 3 assists in the EPL. Alexander-Trent produced 12, Robinson produced 7 while Aurier had produced 5 assists. To their credit they are the only 2 United defenders who produced an assists whatsoever. Lindelof the ball playing defender and the new Maldini Luke Shaw had produced 0 assists this year.

devilish

So that makes Martial, Rashford and Bruno defensive players? You're not even following your own logic here. You've quoted a post from @DWelbz19 who said you're conflating quality and defensive numbers, then proceeded to do just that. You're literally comparing a FB with a Striker in a discussion about defensive numbers. So Martial is a defensive player now, too?
What I am saying is that our defence is build solely for defending (3 assists this season, 2 less then Aurier). Our team is also pretty defensive minded oriented. There something really wrong when you consider that our entire squad had produced just 9 assists more then Liverpool's full backs.

PS. McTom had produced as many assists as Matic.

romufc

Every other team is defensive in comparison to that.

Trent and Robertson take Freekicks for Liverpool and they have scored the most headed goals this season.

We need to add a bit of perspective on here. Liverpool are a different team to us. Why compare them when we all know we are not at their level. Completely pointless.

gajender

This is the issue isn't it. People have spent so long moaning about defensive Jose they're unable to now take any accusations of defensiveness without it being an insult. Move on people.

We're a low block countering team it necessitates a high number of people who can do the job in the defensive phase otherwise we'd be stuffed.

If you think our defence would last in some of Sir Alex's actual attacking teams then you're off your head.
That's something I can agree upon Under Sir Alex's later days even when we were accused of Zombie football we attacked with numbers and our defenders regularly were in one on one situations, our current defense simply doesn't give that kind of confidence where we can attack with impunity.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Every other team is defensive in comparison to that.

Trent and Robertson take Freekicks for Liverpool and they have scored the most headed goals this season.

We need to add a bit of perspective on here. Liverpool are a different team to us. Why compare them when we all know we are not at their level. Completely pointless.
This.

What I am saying is that our defence is build solely for defending (3 assists this season, 2 less then Aurier). Our team is also pretty defensive minded oriented. There something really wrong when you consider that our entire squad had produced just 9 assists more then Liverpool's full backs.

PS. McTom had produced as many assists as Matic.
If that were the case, they wouldn't bother getting forward. Shaw and AWB both maintain high positions up the pitch when we we are in possession, and that isn't for the purpose of defending. Again, you're conflating this with quality. Liverpool play with 2 incredibly attacking fullbacks, and all their attacking play goes through them. Conversely, Bruno already has more assists than all but one Liverpool midfielder, in what, 6 PL games? This isn't because we've suddenly changed our approach, but because Bruno is a significantly better player than Lingard or Andreas.

romufc

This.

If that were the case, they wouldn't bother getting forward. Shaw and AWB both maintain high positions up the pitch when we we are in possession, and that isn't for the purpose of defending. Again, you're conflating this with quality. Liverpool play with 2 incredibly attacking fullbacks, and all their attacking play goes through them. Conversely, Bruno already has more assists than all but one Liverpool midfielder, in what, 6 PL games? This isn't because we've suddenly changed our approach, but because Bruno is a significantly better player than Lingard or Andreas.
That doesn't mean Liverpool's midfielders are defensive either. Teams / managers / players have different styles of football. Liverpool attacking full backs is a tactic and they deploy that tactic with Henderson and Fabinho sitting deeper and filling those holes when they attack. That doesn't mean they are defensive players either. It is how the team is set up.

Have 9/11 United players play 36/38 games and I can guarantee you, we will see a better attacking football.

Liverpool players have been fully fit for 2/5 seasons now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Now taking all of the above onboard I have to wonder how we have the 4th best defensive record in the PL when it comes to goals conceded
4th best defensive record in the league? That'll shut them up!

Posh Red

I mean we literally just played Jose and we controlled the game at their stadium, attempting to play on the front foot and dominate possession. I know you were a big fan of Jose when he was here but we clearly play with a different approach now. We may set up quite conservatively against the very best teams, but in general there has been a pretty noticeable shift.

POF

If you listened to much of the Caf, and general football fans, you hear that following about United;

De Gea - Dreadful goalkeeper. Rubbish for 2 years. Must sell.

Shaw - Fat, useless, slow, lazy

Lindelof - Physically weak, mentally weak, not good enough.

Maguire - Waste of money, slow, turns like a tug boat, overrated.

Wan Bissaka - Awful going forward, always out of position, overpriced.

Now taking all of the above onboard I have to wonder how we have the 4th best defensive record in the PL when it comes to goals conceded and the best record we've had in that area for several seasons?

Genuine question.
Is having the 4th best defensive record in the league deemed "good"? The first choice back 4 cost £190m!

Hoboman

The team is still seriously undercoached.

There is no enough compactness in transition plays, pressing is often sporadic, central midfielders lack tactical awareness and wide forwards for all their hard work help fullbacks only moderately (both in attack and defence).

romufc

Is having the 4th best defensive record in the league deemed "good"? The first choice back 4 cost £190m!
So we shouldn't spend the money? or we should? I am confused here.

If we spend £100m on Sancho and are not the highest scorers, posters like you will say £290m and we the 3rd best scorers?

Better not to spend the money then.

POF

If we spend £100m on Sancho and are not the highest scorers, posters like you will say £290m and we the 3rd best scorers?

Nice leap. Let's keep it simple then.

"If our defence is so bad, why is it so good".

It's not good.

Still confused?

redshaw

Because we don't score enough.

Mistakes at the back are highlighted and put as the reason we've lost or drawn again but the reality is we don't score enough and should be able to recover the odd mistake as a team. We require an almost perfect backline to scrape a CL spot.

TheReligion

Abusive
4th best defensive record in the league? That'll shut them up!
Doesn't need to shut them up.. I was asking why if we are so bad at the back (according to some) is our record 4th best in the league. What's the correlation? Fair question surely..

Yeah I'm confused too. It's as though people don't really know what they want isn't it?

What do you mean by "much of the caf"? @TheReligion
Just look at the player performance threads on our back 5.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Because we are an ok team. Defensive record isn’t all about the defence. The team plays ok enough to not concede loads but also not well enough to score all that much.

The problem is being 4th, 5th or 6th best isn’t where we want to be.

El Zoido

The caf is a nightmare these days. If we ever fail to win the whole place melts down, nevermind being the better side, extending to a 12-game unbeaten run, and playing in an empty stadium after months without a game. All we had to hear about is how our only good players are Pogba and Bruno and everyone else should be replaced.

romufc

Nice leap. Let's keep it simple then.

"If our defence is so bad, why is it so good".

It's not good.

Still confused?
We are 3rd best defence... 10 more goals than Liverpool (top)

Now let me simplify things more.

Our attack... is 6th best... scored 26 less goals than City (top)

jamesjimmybyrondean

Fred and Mctomimay play mostly because Pogba was injured majority of the season. James plays because he's our best RW option. If Sancho comes in he would be replaced @devilish .

devilish

This.

Headed goals are added as goals not as assists while taking free kicks is still part and parcel of an attacking minded player. We don't let AWB give free kicks don't we?

AWB's and Shaw's main asset is in defending not attacking. On top of that we've got 2 midfielders who are better in defending then in attacking. Add James to that and we've got 3 players in a 5 men midfield who are more defensive minded then attacking minded. On top of that we have a defence that is pretty much defensive. In such circumstances then no wonder why we've got the 4th best defence in the EPL. I am actually shocked that we're not better then that.

He'sRaldo

We are probably the only top club in the world who tend to play with 2 defensive full backs + to box 2 box players (Fred and McT). That 7 players out of 11 players who are defensive oriented. One might add James as well whose all workrate and pace.
Before Bruno came in, only Martial and Rashford could realistically be expected to score a goal. We played Lingard/Pereira, Dan James, Fred, Scott, AWB, Shaw, CB's and keeper. That's 9/11 players expected to contribute more defensively than attacking.

I think you're right, and it's a wonder our strikers have been able to endure that kind of lineup and still produce decent numbers. At the same time, our record would indeed be decent given with so many players adept at tracking back with high workrate.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Some people acting like having the 4th defensive record is an abomination you'd think we were coming straight from SAF glory era before this season. We've been shit for 7 years.

devilish

Fred and Mctomimay play mostly because Pogba was injured majority of the season. James plays because he's our best RW option. If Sancho comes in he would be replaced @devilish .
I am not bashing anyone here. All I am doing is to try to answer the OP's question. We've got 4 defenders who are pretty much defensive minded. On top of that we play with McT, Fred and James who are sound defensive wise but offers little when going forward (apart in quick counters were James can be lethal)

If we buy Sancho, we replace Shaw with an attacking minded full back and we start playing Pogba week in week out then it would be interesting how that would impact our defensive record.

OleBoiii

I keep misreading the title as: Our defence: so bad it's good

You're tearing me apart Solskjær!

harms

Staff
Doesn't need to shut them up.. I was asking why if we are so bad at the back (according to some) is our record 4th best in the league. What's the correlation? Fair question surely..
Not really. Manchester United players are still being judged in comparison with the best, as they should be if we're still a club with any aspirations. And having a joint 4th best defensive record in the league (behind Leicester and Sheffield United) is not really a huge accomplishment, especially after spending €145 mil (transfermarkt) on 2 new defenders this summer.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The ambition is getting to Champions League level and staying there for years to come and so far none of our formations defense, midfield or attack look like providing high quality and consistency throughout the season to achieve it.

Our defending against mid-table teams is a comedy at times. Pretty much everyone of our defenders, inluding the keeper made some awful mistakes. Just wondering how many hundreds of millions we need to pump to finally free ourselves from Europa League and Liverpool with City certainly won't wait on us and our slow addressing glaring issues policy. Chelsea will probably have another defining window and it can easily take them higher than 4th.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I am not bashing anyone here. All I am doing is to try to answer the OP's question. We've got 4 defenders who are pretty much defensive minded. On top of that we play with McT, Fred and James who are sound defensive wise but offers little when going forward (apart in quick counters were James can be lethal)

If we buy Sancho, we replace Shaw with an attacking minded full back and we start playing Pogba week in week out then it would be interesting how that would impact our defensive record.
You have a point even though some are arguing with you. We would need to improve our CB and DM for the defense to improve

harms

Staff
Some people acting like having the 4th defensive record is an abomination you'd think we were coming straight from SAF glory era before this season. We've been shit for 7 years.
It's not an abomination, but it certainly isn't an argument that warrants opening this thread.

The_Midfielder

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that Fred and McTominay are in the team for their defensive contributions, to be fair. Beyond that, our #10 has often been selected for similar reasons (pressing ability), as it isn’t hard to argue that Mata is a far greater offensive threat than Lingard and Pereira. James certainly doesn’t play more games than Greenwood due to offensive output either, although it is reasonable to argue he’s playing more because he’s older.

That said, I don’t think we are tactically defensive, but I do feel that a large portion of our team this season are United players for their defensive attributes more than their offensive ones. I’d say the back 5, midfield 3 and right winger are all better going backwards than going forward. But again, I don’t think that’s tactical. Bruno and Pogba were not around for most of the season (although you could question why Pereira and Jess play ahead of Mata), and it appears we are looking at Sancho to replace James, so I don’t think Ole is negative at all. We actually try to play on the front foot, but the individuals are not offensively good enough.
Mata is useless for a press.. we are evolving towards a pressing team.. Hence Mata is not useful there...
Football has evolved.. you gain more by pressing the other team, and reclaiming possession on the other team's half. hence Mct and Fred have played more... Also, whom do we play? Pogba has been injured all season..

Untd55

People do have a point: we have sacrificed attacking players for predominantly defensive ones.

Choosing a player that is better in terms of defence than attack is a defensive choice. It seems strange that people are arguing against this. It doesn't mean they are great defensively; it is just that they are better defensively than in attack.

James is more useful for his defensive contribution than his attacking one. People talk about his assists, but his last one was 11 Premier League games ago now. His last goal was 26 games ago. His attacking contribution is clearly not why he is in team; it is mostly his defensive play.

Wan Bissaka and Shaw are very defensive. Maguire and Lindelof are obviously defensive. James provides nothing in the attack; he does more defensively, so he is defensive. Mctominay and Fred do not provide much in way of attack; they are again defensive. Plus De Gea and you have 8 predominantly defensive players in the team.

If we weren't so defensive, why are we better when we get to counter-attack? We have been useless at breaking teams down this season because we have not had enough proper attacking players. We have elected to go defensive with our signings.

So, is the defensive record good enough to warrant £130m expenditure and a predominantly defensive team? I don't think so.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's not an abomination, but it certainly isn't an argument that warrants opening this thread.
Course it is. And that's because if you read the Caf you'd believe the players we have in defence are an abomination.. that's the point.

TheReligion

Abusive
So Rashford, Martial, James/Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba

That's 5 attack minded players. Does that mean we are a defensive team? This is confusing.