g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If Rashford hits another purple patch, will it change your mind on him?

LiamB

Even when he was playing well last season he gave the ball away a lot and made the wrong decisions like he does now, but because he'd get a goal in the game the bad things were forgotten about.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sure I'd be happy if Marcus scored a lot of goals, provided we were winning the games, otherwise not interested.
Marcus is becoming a player who if he is not scoring, what is he doing on the pitch?
The last few games he has drawn opposition defenders like flies around a piece of **it, but then he tries to drive right through them, time and again, and looks slightly ridiculous, because he doesn't seem to register what his actions are costing the team.
Manchester United has become that if Narcus is not scoring what are we doing on the pitch?

The anger & resentment given our current form is understandable but the fact this forum always reach for Marcus in our dips is ridiculous. I wish he hadn’t signed the contract.

SirAF

Ageist
forget about goals, i want him to be a team player more. Giggs didnt score as much but i'd take him over Rashford any day of the week simply because he was a player who can bring everyone into the game.
This.

Born2Lose

I'd sell him. He's at an age now where it should click, he's 26 at the end of the month and he still can't find consistency.

Its not just about output, he may score 20 goals but he ruins the chances to score more goals because of his selfish play.
Wow, 26 already? What's he going to be like when he's lost a yard of pace and he has to depend more on his footballing intelligence...

FerociousCorgis

man imagine if we actually sold the club, revamped the top and got a top scouting network/transfer department setup, then sold rashford to psg or something and case/varane to saudis for big money. That and actual investment from ownership could easily see everything get revamped in one go.

Mainoovement

As the title of the thread suggests, my opinion of him is he's a purple patch player who can provide a moment of brilliance at any point but not with any consistency. The club chose to make him the star of the team and face of the club with that new contract when he is nowhere near that status of player for a club like Manchester United. Separate from that, he looks absolutely miserable on the pitch every game with his terrible body language and sulking. If the opportunity came to move him on for say 100 million or so I would take it, but I believe we will be stuck with him unless Marcus himself asks to leave, and why would he after that contract?

JediSith

No. Because he’ll always lack in the areas that’s required to be elite and make teams elite.

Too much focus is put on individual stat padding for what is a team sport. He has the same effect as lukaku but remove the bad touch and add appalling decision making and ruining attacks by running with the ball to long

Oscar Bonavena

He's got that quality where you know he has a very high potential but has never really learned parts of the game that you need to go from potential to reality. I remember disliking Ronaldo in the early years in spite of all the hype because he consistently seemed to run into brick walls of defenders. But then he learned and got better and better. Rashford has had years and years yet he always seems out of touching distance from where we all think he should be and needs to be
Interesting comparison to Ronaldo. Both burst onto the scene as raw teenagers, capable of moments of brilliance but also frustrating moments of self indulgence and poor decision making.

Ronaldo evolved and improved into a world class forward and joined Real Madrid for a world record fee at 24.

Marcus is almost 2 years older than Ronaldo was, yet it seems he's scarcely evolved as a more rounded footballer than he was when he was 18.

Oscar Bonavena

Rather than single out the player that reliably will score or create something, we should get more players in the team who can reliably score or create. Our two top scorers after Rashford last year were Bruno and Casemiro. Not a single forward other than Rashford is a reliable goal scorer. Other players have purple patches too. Players like Mane, Son, Sterling also go through spells of not scoring, but it's not as noticed because someone else will.
The difference is, they get dropped.

Teat

We've got too many players who seem to have long periods of poor form, but are then rewarded with crazy contracts when they hit a 2 minute purple patch. We seem petrified to let inconsistent players go in case they become a success elsewhere.

Marcus is a top, top human being, but not even close to playing at a consistently high enough level to be a regular for United.

Strangely, I think if we sold him, we'd get much more than he's worth because at his best, he's unplayable, and a decent manager will always fancy their chances of getting the best out of him - which they undoubtedly would for the first 10 games. Beyond that is the challenge. The epitome of a confidence player.

Oscar Bonavena

This is a team that is pinning its hopes on the return of Antony & here’s another Rashford thread.

He should have not bothered signing & fecked off on a free, this fanbase deserves the shite we’re getting.

Rashford is far from perfect but the constant pile on when there are countless players that should see the door before him is beyond tiresome. Right now he’s one of our best players, not particularly saying much, but whilst clowns like Lindelof find themselves playing week in-week out the focus should honestly be elsewhere.
I don't think United fans should apologise or be made to feel guilty for expecting 100% application, effort and enthusiasm from the club's most well-remunerated player.

What was that banner with Robson, Cantona and Keane?

"Standards"

AFC NimbleThumb

I don't think United fans should apologise or be made to feel guilty for expecting 100% application, effort and enthusiasm from the club's most well-remunerated player.

"Standards"
First paragraph is intangible followed by listing 3 footballing greats. This isn’t about United fans expecting 100% application.

All the accusations that get made at Rashford could be made at multiple players in the squad who have done less in their entire United careers by comparison.

Personally I’m not arsed who stays or goes anymore, no one is untouchable in this nonsense but singling out a Rashford in this squad is a misdirection. He can feck off but not before a large number of his colleagues do first.

gaffs

As the title of the thread suggests, my opinion of him is he's a purple patch player who can provide a moment of brilliance at any point but not with any consistency. The club chose to make him the star of the team and face of the club with that new contract when he is nowhere near that status of player for a club like Manchester United. Separate from that, he looks absolutely miserable on the pitch every game with his terrible body language and sulking. If the opportunity came to move him on for say 100 million or so I would take it, but I believe we will be stuck with him unless Marcus himself asks to leave, and why would he after that contract?
The club or the manager?

If ETH thought Rashford was a net negative to the team, despite his 30 goals last year, that got us in the CL, then he would have got involved.

He did it to De Gea. Snatched the contract out of his hands.

FerociousCorgis

Just a reminder...

"Marcus Rashford has become just the second player to be named as the Premier League's player of the month three times in the same season, equalling a record set by Mohamed Salah in 2017-18."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/marcus-rashford-salah-player-month-29422624
to me that will make sense. Even when he is scoring generally his overall game remains the same. Most of those awards will just be looking at the stats so when he starts popping in with his random goal spurt it tends to look good for the awards like that

gaffs

"Standards"
Did you see Cantona doing much tracking back?

Rashford is not Tevez or Rooney - he is not going to be chasing down lost causes.

I see Rashford as more of a sprinter than an all round footballer. Made for speed, not staminia. Great at running into space, but he is just not one of those players who are going to be putting their body on the line. If you asked Rashford to play any other position on the pitch, he would look so out of place.

Hes not great when playing up against a low block, because he doesnt have ablility to play the right pass, like Grealish does on the left for City.

I think the manager knows this and has accepted Rashford's limitations.

I dont think its a lack of application, it is a lack of ability.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Wow, 26 already? What's he going to be like when he's lost a yard of pace and he has to depend more on his footballing intelligence...
He never had any footballing intelligence. Man hardly look up when he does that run into cul-de-sac every game before shooting. He loses a bit of pace and he may start passing around a bit to compensate.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Obviously great if he does. It’s that he doesn’t seem to improve that’s concerning, and what he doesn’t bring to the table outside of scoring.

It’s probably quite difficult to grow as a player in this side though unfortunately.

Zlatattack

forget about goals, i want him to be a team player more. Giggs didnt score as much but i'd take him over Rashford any day of the week simply because he was a player who can bring everyone into the game.
Ryan Giggs in today's teams would be better than Salah.

Crashoutcassius

Ole having to publicly say sorry for telling him to focus on football was ludicrous. Pretty sure reports when ETH took the job was to rebuild Rashford up, after Ralph was straight up with him and his PR machine
That was because of the racist connotations, which I doubt ole was even aware of

Mainoovement

The club or the manager?

If ETH thought Rashford was a net negative to the team, despite his 30 goals last year, that got us in the CL, then he would have got involved.

He did it to De Gea. Snatched the contract out of his hands.
I guess it falls on both? But like you pointed out he pushed De Gea out, so I would say it ultimately falls mostly on the manager.

astracrazy

No because his purple patch will be just like last seasons. For every goal he gets his team mates could of had one or two had he passed the ball in many failed attempts to get his one goal. The guys just a selfish player, which is fine if he was good enough and knew when not to be, but thats a level he will never reach.

Jordi Cruyff 99

No. He's had two good but not great seasons and simply isn't good enough if Man Utd wants to become what it was. He's a perfect example of how far standards have fallen.

ManUtd1999

He’s a good player, one of our best. But, I never saw a great player in him, and I still don’t.

No matter who leads the team in the future, I think that Rashford should be part of it.

stw2022

He doesn't have to be super intelligent, just look up occasionally and relaise not everything is about him taking on as many players as possible

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Oscar Bonavena

Who get dropped? Bruno and Casemiro don't. Neither do Son, Salah and Sterling played for Man City where bar Rodri, Dias and Haaland everyone gets rotated.
I was referring to Son, Mane and Sterling who you mentioned.

Son has definitely been dropped by Spurs when out of form. Sterling too at City. Not too sure about Mane at Liverpool as he was a very consistent performer, but even if he was on a barren run scoring wise and a grumpy bastard, he was always guaranteed to give 100% effort and be a thorn in defenders' sides. Can the same be said about Marcus? I don't think so.

Oscar Bonavena

Did you see Cantona doing much tracking back?
To be fair, no, Cantona didn't do much tracking back. And also to be fair, he had his fair share of bad games for United. But I never saw him disinterested or sulking when things weren't going his way. He always had a presence on the pitch. And he was instrumental in winning multiple leagues and FA Cups for United, including ending the 26 year drought when his arrival transformed a struggling team practically overnight.

If a player wants the right to stroll around the pitch in a United shirt, he had best f**king earn it first.

gaffs

To be fair, no, Cantona didn't do much tracking back. And also to be fair, he had his fair share of bad games for United. But I never saw him disinterested or sulking when things weren't going his way. He always had a presence on the pitch. And he was instrumental in winning multiple leagues and FA Cups for United, including ending the 26 year drought when his arrival transformed a struggling team practically overnight.

If a player wants the right to stroll around the pitch in a United shirt, he had best f**king earn it first.
Its overblown. He isn't "strolling around" the pitch.

Yes, he has been throwing his hands up a lot and he looks frustrated, but i see him time and again double marked and when he first looks up for a passing options, there is no-one there.

Nothing came off for him on Saturday....

but i dont think its because of lack of effort.

gaffs

Going by this logic Joe Hart is the best goalkeeper ever in the PL with his 4 golden gloves.
Golden glove at a club like City is a little different to player of the month!

No one said he is the best player in the league, far from it.

But there is no one in this team that is a proven goal scorer. You play him back into form because without his contribution last year, we are playing in the Europa and Liverpool are in the Champions League.

Any fan is deluded if they think dropping Rashford for Garnacho in this current team will result in the team suddenly turning into a well oiled machine.

Earth Wind and McGuire

I’ve never took to him. Always thought he was a player with very low intelligence and little drive. I really hoped we wouldn’t give him the bumper contract after last season purely because he’s so inconsistent. But we did and now we are probably stuck with him for 5 more years.

ClassOf'99

Its overblown. He isn't "strolling around" the pitch.

Yes, he has been throwing his hands up a lot and he looks frustrated, but i see him time and again double marked and when he first looks up for a passing options, there is no-one there.

Nothing came off for him on Saturday

but i dont think its because of lack of effort.
This is a terrible video to use to defend the bolded, especially since I was said to have used the same video to drive a narrative of him being selfish.

1st clip - has a chance to play Højlund through on goal, over runs it and loses it
2nd clip - has Case on the edge of the box whenever he slows down the dribble, smashed it against 2 defenders
3rd & 4th clip - has Bruno on the edge of the box, instead tries to take on 2 defenders to shoot
5th clip - has mount on the overlap, instead hits a hopeful ball to the Palace player
6th clip - the less said about that cross the better
7th clip - has Amrabaat free, tries to play it through 3 players
8th clip - is the only unlucky one

This video omits the chance for Højlund that should've been a goal, but to say he had no-one there is a clear lie.

He had options, he just chooses not to take them, hence the frustration, criticism and calls of him not being a team player.

Compare that to the other top teams and their wingers, the difference is if the option isn't on they recycle the ball or play their teammates through, something Marcus has not been doing.

Oscar Bonavena

This is a terrible video to use to defend the bolded, especially since I was said to have used the same video to drive a narrative of him being selfish.

1st clip - has a chance to play Højlund through on goal, over runs it and loses it
2nd clip - has Case on the edge of the box whenever he slows down the dribble, smashed it against 2 defenders
3rd & 4th clip - has Bruno on the edge of the box, instead tries to take on 2 defenders to shoot
5th clip - has mount on the overlap, instead hits a hopeful ball to the Palace player
6th clip - the less said about that cross the better
7th clip - has Amrabaat free, tries to play it through 3 players
8th clip - is the only unlucky one

This video omits the chance for Højlund that should've been a goal, but to say he had no-one there is a clear lie.

He had options, he just chooses not to take them, hence the frustration, criticism and calls of him not being a team player.

Compare that to the other top teams and their wingers, the difference is if the option isn't on they recycle the ball or play their teammates through, something Marcus has not been doing.
Yeah, I was thinking if that video is supposed to defend him, it's not doing a very good job!

It shows him doing all the things his critics criticise him for!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Does anyone on here genuinely believe Rashford is a £100 mil player? Seems to have genuine strengths and skills but lacks the mental tenacity and team-spiritedness to be world class

clarkydaz

Cantona was told explicitly by fergie not to tackle, as it would end up in a red card. Yeah no excuses for him, Giggs was a beanpole out on the wing aswell but still ran his bollocks off up and down