If we finish 4th, should Ole get the job full time? [Poll added]

If we finish in the top 4 should Ole be made permanent manager?

• Total voters

Nikelesh Reddy

This isn’t a general thread to talk about who should be our next permanent manager.Its a very specific question,if we finish 4th,should Ole get the job full time?Lets just assume that we get knocked out by PSG in the CL....We get knocked out of the semifinal’s in the FA Cup...But we keep playing positive,attacking football until the end of the season...

If the players have a high opinion of Ole....And if we manage to nick 4th ahead of Chelsea,should Ole get the job full time?Or should we just gratefully thank him and say goodbye?

Kapardin

Of course. From 7th-8th position and 0 GD to 4th over Chelsea and Arsenal would be a blooming miracle. Almost title challenging form.

Nikelesh Reddy

Of course. From 7th-8th position and 0 GD to 4th over Chelsea and Arsenal would be a blooming miracle. Almost title challenging form.
I really don’t know man,it’s a tough one...There are 2 ways to look at it-1)The mans done a brilliant job....He’s completely committed to playing attacking football...He seems to be a good man manager,so just appoint a top class DOF to assist him in the transfer market and he”ll keep taking us forward...

2)The players are just delighted to see the back of Mourinho so they are just finally expressing themselves on the pitch.This momentum and this positivity may power us for the next 3-4 months...But once pre-season kicks in and come August,we need a top class manager who can take us to the next level and compete against the best in the league...

It’s a very very tough call to make...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
There'd be absolutely no reason why he shouldn't. That would be a miraculous feat for any incoming manager and would give him well-earned merit for the full-time role.

Lj82

If we get into top four, he should get the job without a doubt.
For us to get into top from the starting point where Ole took over requires a herculean effort.
For Ole to achieve that, he would have already proven himself worthy of the position.

The Last Jedaiiii

There'd be absolutely no reason why he shouldn't. That would be a miraculous feat for any incoming manager and would give him well-earned merit for the full-time role.
No, because we wouldn't want a Di Matteo situation repeating itself. I'd go all out for Allegri tbh- on and off the pitch he's everything you'd want in a Manchester United Manager.

deafepl

Appoint DoF in charge first so DoF, Cheif and the academy chief can discuss the future long-term plan with Ole like transfer window, style of play and the academy, if they feel that he's right for the job and on same board, then I don't mind.

hungrywing

If we want to make it a tad more stringent, then should he get top four plus CL semis, they'd be making the same exact mistakes in not giving it to him.

Personally top four should be enough - as many have pointed out, that's title-challenging PPG over the course of a season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If we don't get Pochettino, just give Ole a 3 year deal and go from there, there really aren't any clear cut options otherwise.

Crashoutcassius

I feel so confident that if we go and add exciting talent into this team in summer that ole would get the best out of them. Makes you wish we held onto di Maria and mhikitarian since they would suit this team.

Obviously it isn't clear if ole could mount a title challenge yet but getting to top 4 would mean title challenging form and spending money and adding some big talent over summer could so easily improve us

Nikelesh Reddy

I can see where your coming from...But to play devils advocate,it could be argued that the players are just delighted to see the back off Mourinho and they are just thrilled to be able to express themselves again.This positivity,the feel good factor and momentum might power us for the next 4-5 months...But come pre-season and come August,we need a manager who can take us to the next level by actually competing for the title.

As supporters we probably won’t be able to figure out if he can take us to the next level.Woodward and the board have to take a lot of feedback from the players and the staff...They need to carefully analyse his training sessions and his tactics before they can give him the job...

His commitment to play attacking football and his good man management skills are obvious.But are his training sessions on a par with the other top managers in the league?Is he tactically astute enough to compete with the Guardiolas,Klopps,etc next season?These are the questions that Woodward and the board need to answer before giving him the job full time...

MrBest

He has done well but there are bigger tests ahead and he will be judged on that. We have made terrible appointments in the last 5 years and giving him a perm role after 4 games would be a disaster. If Ole gets 4th, a good fa cup run and a good champs league run with us continuing to play good football and improving, then i think he should be considered (not guarenteed). For me Poch is still the man, with barely any money he has transformed that Spurs team into a top 3 league team in 5 years. Just 10 points behind Liverpool who have spent over 400m recently so possibly a 70m spend by Poch. United have some great Youth coming through, mix that with 200m he could build a very very good squad.

Nikelesh Reddy

I feel so confident that if we go and add exciting talent into this team in summer that ole would get the best out of them. Makes you wish we held onto di Maria and mhikitarian since they would suit this team.

Obviously it isn't clear if ole could mount a title challenge yet but getting to top 4 would mean title challenging form and spending money and adding some big talent over summer could so easily improve us
That’s the big question though,isn’t it?The feel good factor,positivity and momentum might power us through the rest of the season...But can Ole compete with Guardiola,Klopp and Pochettino over the course of an entire season?Are his training sessions good enough to take our players to the next level?Remember,it’s not just about having good man management skills and letting the players play attacking football...

It’s about having the talent and the intelligence as a coach to improve your players and take them to another level by putting on excellent training sessions.Guardiola,Klopp,Pochettino have done it at their respective clubs,can Ole do the same here?This is the million dollar question in my view...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I can see where your coming from...But to play devils advocate,it could be argued that the players are just delighted to see the back off Mourinho and they are just thrilled to be able to express themselves again.This positivity,the feel good factor and momentum might power us for the next 4-5 months...But come pre-season and come August,we need a manager who can take us to the next level by actually competing for the title.

As supporters we probably won’t be able to figure out if he can take us to the next level.Woodward and the board have to take a lot of feedback from the players and the staff...They need to carefully analyse his training sessions and his tactics before they can give him the job...

His commitment to play attacking football and his good man management skills are obvious.But are his training sessions on a par with the other top managers in the league?Is he tactically astute enough to compete with the Guardiolas,Klopps,etc next season?These are the questions that Woodward and the board need to answer before giving him the job full time...
Post-Mourinho euphoria may last a few weeks to a month, but after that, the new regime and the momentum therein settles down a lot.

Then there comes the point where the players both decide if they want to play for the new manager as well as whether they want to stay at the club.

Those that want out, and are worth anything in the market won't be around by the start of next season so they aren't really a factor.

Also, if Ole's done the job to such an unexpectedly degree, he can look forward to a bolstered squad in more of his vision than what we currently have.

I really wouldn't worry about crossover into 2019/20 in terms of downed tools. Sure it might be scary to find out if Ole can start from zero on a clean slate and do the job, but so many true giant clubs have gone that route and been rewarded for it that we're hardly in a unique or unprecedented position in seeing how it would pan out, and neither should we think we're above all that.

MadMike

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee that bringing in a top manager would see us improve and get to that “next level”. The last two managerial appointments are as strong evidence of that as you can get.

If we continue on good form till season end, I struggle to think who would offer a more safe bet than him for next season. We’ve had 3 managers (4 if you count Giggs) since Fergie left and they’ve all been naff. Finding a top manager that works for you is a huge gamble. Are you telling me that if Ole achieves a better points tally than Spurs from now till season’s end, you would swap him for Poch?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No, because we wouldn't want a Di Matteo situation repeating itself. I'd go all out for Allegri tbh- on and off the pitch he's everything you'd want in a Manchester United Manager.
What about a Guardiola or a Zidane situation?

You can't just cherry pick the bad otherwise only proven managers would ever get jobs and not every proven manager is capable of continuing a winning trend as we've seen in our last appointment.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I really don’t know man,it’s a tough one...There are 2 ways to look at it-1)The mans done a brilliant job....He’s completely committed to playing attacking football...He seems to be a good man manager,so just appoint a top class DOF to assist him in the transfer market and he”ll keep taking us forward...

2)The players are just delighted to see the back of Mourinho so they are just finally expressing themselves on the pitch.This momentum and this positivity may power us for the next 3-4 months...But once pre-season kicks in and come August,we need a top class manager who can take us to the next level and compete against the best in the league...

It’s a very very tough call to make...
Sums it up perfectly.

Name that always sticks in my mind is Roberto Di Matteo. I'd say unless Solskjaer wins the Champions League or something equally crazy, go for Pochettino first, then maybe Zidane second, with Ole a close third assuming things keep going as well as at present.

ice-bionic red

I want to see how he does against all the big sides first.

But maybe yes.

Poch is/seems to be most people’s favourite (including me) but that was before Ole won these 4 games in this manner I feel. I’m already questioning myself about what if Ole continues this way? Poch would bring his way of playing but what if it’s just not like this. As far as I’m concerned with Phelan by Ole’s side this is the Sir Alex/Man United way we always wanted and thought at least one of the previous 3 managers would embrace. It’s too early days for me to say anything until we play the top sides. We beat Spurs, Chelsea, City and/or Liverpool then yes why the hell not

Crashoutcassius

That’s the big question though,isn’t it?The feel good factor,positivity and momentum might power us through the rest of the season...But can Ole compete with Guardiola,Klopp and Pochettino over the course of an entire season?Are his training sessions good enough to take our players to the next level?Remember,it’s not just about having good man management skills and letting the players play attacking football...

It’s about having the talent and the intelligence as a coach to improve your players and take them to another level by putting on excellent training sessions.Guardiola,Klopp,Pochettino have done it at their respective clubs,can Ole do the same here?This is the million dollar question in my view...
I guess I don't really understand the dynamic in a club between managers and coaches etc. By all accounts zidane didn't do much coaching in Madrid, left it to the coaches and just managed the players. Clearly pep coaches at city as we see him having videos posted but fergie wasnt very hands in with coaching. It isn't clear to me if it is necessary to even coach much, just be able to get ideas across and manage the players, if you can build great staff around you.

Nikelesh Reddy

Post-Mourinho euphoria may last a few weeks to a month, but after that, the new regime and the momentum therein settles down a lot.

Then there comes the point where the players both decide if they want to play for the new manager as well as whether they want to stay at the club.

Those that want out, and are worth anything in the market won't be around by the start of next season so they aren't really a factor.

Also, if Ole's done the job to such an unexpectedly degree, he can look forward to a bolstered squad in more of his vision than what we currently have.

I really wouldn't worry about crossover into 2019/20 in terms of downed tools. Sure it might be scary to find out if Ole can start from zero on a clean slate and do the job, but so many true giant clubs have gone that route and been rewarded for it that we're hardly in a unique or unprecedented position in seeing how it would pan out, and neither should we think we're above all that.
De Gea,Martial and Pogba are the 3 big ones...The likes of Rashford,Lingard,Mata,Lukaku,Matic,Herrera,etc etc will definitely stay at the club.But we need to do everything that we can to keep Pogba,De Gea and Martial...I think that if Martial plays week in,week out,he would be happy to stay....If we give De Gea 350,000 per week,we may be able to win him over.

Yes,we have wonderful examples like Guardiola and Zidane.But for every Guardiola or Zidane,there’s also a Di Matteo And Avram Grant.When Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea in 2007,Avram Grant was given temporary charge.Chelsea lost the title on the last day of the season and were a whisker away from winning the CL...Should Avram Grant have been given the job full time?We know what happened with Di Matteo...

dogwithabone

The last 4 games the players could have probably done it on their own without any manager, they were all very winnable. Ole has definitely instilled a feel good factor but the sacking of Mourinho alone would have lifted the atmosphere. If he comes through the Spurs game intact then the serious thinking can start. Beat Spurs with a performance too and the clamour for him to get the job full time might gather unstoppable momentum.

I think his approach to the really big games is going to be fascinating. Those games in particular tarnished the Mourinho era despite some often positive results. We’d all take a 1-0 with a Fellaini set piece in last ten minutes but that outcome, while conceding 65% possession, isn't really what United stand for and I think the OGS long term tenure is going to hinge on not just results but an approach that upholds the traditions of the club.

Nikelesh Reddy

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee that bringing in a top manager would see us improve and get to that “next level”. The last two managerial appointments are as strong evidence of that as you can get.

If we continue on good form till season end, I struggle to think who would offer a more safe bet than him for next season. We’ve had 3 managers (4 if you count Giggs) since Fergie left and they’ve all been naff. Finding a top manager that works for you is a huge gamble. Are you telling me that if Ole achieves a better points tally than Spurs from now till season’s end, you would swap him for Poch?
Because Moyes,LVG and Mourinhos philosophy was significantly different from the United way of playing football.Defensive reactive football....Possesion football...The philosophy of these 3 managers was always at odds with our traditional style of play.But the philosophy of a Pochettino or a Zidane is perfectly in tune with our club...

I would still think long and hard,because of the remarkable work that Pochettino has done over the last 2-3 seasons.Ole has inherited a squad filled with big money signings,how much has Poch spent to build that squad?I”m not ruling Ole out,I just think it’s a very very tough call...

Kapardin

The last 4 games the players could have probably done it on their own without any manager, they were all very winnable. Ole has definitely instilled a feel good factor but the sacking of Mourinho alone would have lifted the atmosphere. If he comes through the Spurs game intact then the serious thinking can start. Beat Spurs with a performance too and the clamour for him to get the job full time might gather unstoppable momentum.

I think his approach to the really big games is going to be fascinating. Those games in particular tarnished the Mourinho era despite some often positive results. We’d all take a 1-0 with a Fellaini set piece in last ten minutes but that outcome, while conceding 65% possession, isn't really what United stand for and I think the OGS long term tenure is going to hinge on not just results but an approach that upholds the traditions of the club.
It has nothing to do with results, even Mourinho may have managed to scrape a few wins. We are talking about the style of play that looks decidedly progressive, attacking and with a few tweaks, suitable for a top club with the highest ambitions.

Its' not about whether we win, but the manner of winning. Look how we avoided going long throughout the Newcastle game. If Ole won these 4 games playing hoofball, nobody would be talking about making him permanent despite the points collected.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes, if we maintain this kind of form and performances and perform well against big teams while getting a top 4 finish he will have deserved to stay. I am not sure he would like that though seeing as he is settled in Molde, has a stable job there and I also expect that his family is probably settled there as well so a move to England would require certain sacrifices.

red_de_pologne

Yes, if we maintain this kind of form and performances and perform well against big teams while getting a top 4 finish he will have deserved to stay. I am not sure he would like that though seeing as he is settled in Molde, has a stable job there and I also expect that his family is probably settled there as well so a move to England would require certain sacrifices.
He literally said yesterday he'd want to stay

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think, regardless of where he finishes, if the manager becomes available that the club want to work within their new structure with a DoF, then we should get them. No more bollocking around and making appointments that don't fit within long term plans.

If that manager isn't available? Yes, of course.

Hamadovich86

Getting 4th will almost be a remarkable turnaround so yes. Ole has the right attitude, the right approach with the players and understands the club like few would. If he achieves results then theres no reason to look elsewhere. His main challenge would be in terms of game management against top sides imo as well as overcoming adversity as a team.

dogwithabone

It has nothing to do with results, even Mourinho may have managed to scrape a few wins. We are talking about the style of play that looks decidedly progressive, attacking and with a few tweaks, suitable for a top club with the highest ambitions.

Its' not about whether we win, but the manner of winning. Look how we avoided going long throughout the Newcastle game. If Ole won these 4 games playing hoofball, nobody would be talking about making him permanent despite the points collected.
Disagree.

Every board will want to see a winning team and in the case of the bigger clubs an expectancy that a manager that can ally winning with style. In my opinion it’s delusional to think we could have won, say, 2 of these 4, lost 1 and drawn 1 and there’d still be this feel good factor surrounding OGS on the basis that the football was more progressive.

To quote Fergie pre Blackburn when first PL title was already won - ‘Enjoy it BUT win’ ....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As I said in the other thread asking this exact same question Ole isn't going anywhere, we could let him go back to Molde and pick him back up as manager again in the future. He's never going to turn the United job down.

We should still go for Poch if we can

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we finish top 4, and we can't get either Pochettino or Allegri, I see no harm in giving him a shot.

Galactico

Quite simply, if at the end of the season “it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”! We would be crazy to let him go if he’s done a good job. If we let him go and a new appointment doesn’t work out, the fans would have Ed’s head for sure. Also, we let Phelan go once already to our detriment. If a new manager comes in, he is probably gone again. Again, a mistake waiting to happen.

Ole has been a breath of fresh air and is United through and through. I don’t care if he’s tactically not as astute as Pep and others yet. The football is entertaining and if he gets through the season finishing 4th and not being humiliated in the big games then I’m good with that.

What we need to see with Ole is how the team bounces back from defeat (when it happens eventually). Hopefully it’s not for a long time.

RooneyLegend

Yes but who handles the recruitment will be more important though. We gave some imbeciles lots of money for our squad to still have glaring weaknesses.

ZupZup

Yes he should get the job. There is absolutely no guarantees we will be successful with any other manager we bring in.

Imagine a situation where Ole were to perform a miracle and get us in the top 4... only for us to appoint another manager at the end of the season who doesn't end up performing? We would be looking back at the decision to not appoint Ole as the worst managerial decision we've made since SAF retired. It would be a bigger mistake than appointing any of the last 3 - worse than the Moyes decision.