If we get more points than everyone else in our next 25 league games…

Gandalf

Only if we can’t get Ten Haag
I am curious about this because I don't see a lot of crossover between Ralf and Ten Haag. Ralf is the godfather of the direct, pressing German style of football whereas Ten Haag is an adherent of the Pep tiki taka possession style of play. If Ralf is given a voice in the new manager search as has been suggested I would imagine he will be looking to bring in someone from his own coaching tree to continue his work. From a team setup point of view, if Ralf does coach and set up the team as we expect him to then they would be back to learning a whole new coaching philosophy in the summer under Ten Haag. I was very much in favor of Ten Haag but unless I am missing something I believe the appointment of Ralf is a pretty solid indication we won't be going in that direction.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That's very silly.

Manager outperforms Pep, Tuchel, Klopp in 25 games: luck, don't give him the permanent role
Manager flukes the CL: he's definitely qualified

Huh?
Ole outperformed Pep whilst caretaker so your theory is already in trouble.

Winning the CL is a bit different than winning the 'made up league of GW14 to Gw38' isn't it?

Would take balls of steel to sack a manager who won a CL trophy. Not saying we are got to win it by the way. We almost certainly won't do.

wolvored

No we shouldnt and I dont think he would want it anyway. He appears to like being the man behind the man.
I would certainly let him pick our next manager if he is successful.
Top 4 should be easily obtainable, hopefully FA cup as well. Last 8 or better in the Ch Lge would also show a complete change for the better as well.

No, but I could imagine him staying on for another year in certain circumstances. Say, he identifies Pochettino as the next manager- and PSG play hardball and stick to their contract.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Winning the CL is a bit different than winning the 'made up league of GW14 to Gw38' isn't it?

Would take balls of steel to sack a manager who won a CL trophy. Not saying we are got to win it by the way. We almost certainly won't do.
That was during one of Pep's worst seasons at City. We are talking about a hypothetical where a new manager outperforms 3 teams and managers performing at WC levels this season over 25 games. That would mean domination at the Etihad and Anfield.

That is in no ways comparable to a fluke or even solid CL campaign. And it sure isn't comparable to Ole outperforming Pep during what was a lean season for the latter.

25 convincing wins on the trot, and some would argue we'd need another manager? That's literally hoping the cow is greener on the other side.

wolvored

Ole hadnt got to worry about results during his interim as Woodward said 'We are not too concerned about the results, just have some fun' when he hired Ole. At the time he thought we would win and lose some then end of the season Ole would leave and we would have Poch or some other manager at that level. We won because Ole went gung ho, then when offered the full time role because of this, shit the bed and went back to trying not to lose first.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That was during one of Pep's worst seasons at City. We are talking about a hypothetical where a new manager outperforms 3 teams and managers performing at WC levels this season over 25 games. That would mean domination at the Etihad and Anfield.

That is in no ways comparable to a fluke or even solid CL campaign. And it sure isn't comparable to Ole outperforming Pep during what was a lean season for the latter.

25 convincing wins on the trot, and some would argue we'd need another manager? That's literally hoping the cow is greener on the other side.
25 wins on the trot is ludicrous. That isn't going to happen.

But playing your game....let's say Rangnick gets 1 more PT than the top 3 between now and May, we finish 4th and we win nothing.....No I'd still twist and go for Ten Hag if it was me in charge.

He's going to have to do something incredible to get the gig permanently, especially after how it went with Ole.

adexkola

Supports
25 wins on the trot is ludicrous. That isn't going to happen.

But playing your game....let's say Rangnick gets 1 more PT than the top 3 between now and May, we finish 4th and we win nothing.....No I'd still twist and go for Ten Hag if it was me in charge.

He's going to have to do something incredible to get the gig permanently, especially after how it went with Ole.
It's close to what he would have to do to get more points than the top 3 come end of the season! :D

If that's not enough for some then fair I guess. I do worry about the expectations that fall on a manager like Ten Hag coming in...

And Ole can't be used as a stick to beat every manager with. LVG failed with us, do we shun every manager with an Ajax background then?

Anyway this is a hypothetical argument which won't apply to us as his term is 6 months.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
…should Rangnick be offered the manager’s job for next season?

If not, why not?
As Rangnick’ own philosophy states, you appoint the best person available to do each job at a football club. Let’s see what he does and evaluate at the end of the season, whilst also putting feelers out through intermediaries to other options.

Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. You’d have had people kicking Flick to the kerb at Bayern as a matter of principle.

adexkola

Supports
As Rangnick’ own philosophy states, you appoint the best person available to do each job at a football club. Let’s see what he does and evaluate at the end of the season, whilst also putting feelers out through intermediaries to other options.

Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. You’d have had people kicking Flick to the kerb at Bayern as a matter of principle.
Yep.