If we qualify for European knock-out tonight, would it be even more magical than that night in Paris?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I feel sorry for the elitists who aren't capable of enjoying dramatic, though ultimately meaningless, wins in Europe.
Presumably they didn't enjoy the 7-1 over Roma or even the first leg comeback against Milan because we were somewhat humbled in the second leg.

Red For Ever

We will win, but it won't be enough
Already thrown our place away

Even if we did, nothing magical about qualifying from a group stage with these teams in it.
Should have been fighting for the top, not trying to avoid being bottom.

Despite that, looking forward to watching it and hoping for a win,

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I feel sorry for the elitists who aren't capable of enjoying dramatic, though ultimately meaningless, wins in Europe.
I don't think it's as much that as the fact that it's difficult to see how it would change anything right now.

It doesn't have that sort of feeling anyway

londonredmaniac

Presumably they didn't enjoy the 7-1 over Roma or even the first leg comeback against Milan because we were somewhat humbled in the second leg.
Still one of my favourite European nights that...but was part of a bigger picture.

We were exciting, free flowing, swash buckling sort of side who had you on the edge of your seat...we had players who would run through brick walls.

We didn't get there that season, but it was part of the general feel good factor of the time.

Guess it's a context thing for me. Just my perspective anyway. Paris and/or tonight felt and feels nothing like that from a personal perspective.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Still one of my favourite European nights that...but was part of a bigger picture.

We were exciting, free flowing, swash buckling sort of side who had you on the edge of your seat...we had players who would run through brick walls.

We didn't get there that season, but it was part of the general feel good factor of the time.

Guess it's a context thing for me. Just my perspective anyway. Paris and/or tonight felt and feels nothing like that from a personal perspective.
I get the thing about tonight.

It's a group game that even if we win 10-0 could still see us heading to the Europa League.

The Paris night was special though, and did feel (albeit mistakenly and briefly) like we might be on to something.

redIndianDevil

I wish that night in Paris never happened. It was such a meaningless victory that made us pick someone as incapable as OGS to be our new manager and pegged us back another two years.

Hughes35

I just can't see us winning and then even if we did, I can't see the other game being a draw.

Would be some night if both happened though.

londonredmaniac

I get the thing about tonight.

It's a group game that even if we win 10-0 could still see us heading to the Europa League.

The Paris night was special though, and did feel (albeit mistakenly and briefly) like we might be on to something.
I'm just being a miserable fecker pal. I'm struggling to find alot of positivity about football of late!!

I remember enjoying the Paris game as much as anyone...I think I just had the feeling that generally it wasn't a sign because I thought we'd been pretty lucky and wasn't too convinced of what we were trying to do football wise generally at that point...despite some of the results.

I've watched it back a couple of times, as opposed to the other games you mentioned.

Those Roma and Milan games were just incredible watching.

I remember away games in Rome and Turin where we just looked invincible too...particularly turning Juve over 3-0 on their own patch.

Good times :)

killerboi2

Only if Hargreaves starts celebrating madly at the end after being wound up by a Bayern Munich official during the whole match, like Evra did at PSG.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
I can see the kid scoring again on a night what will likely end in disappointment. Our own fault.

Herman Toothrot

Nah. Not even if results go our way. There was an unrealistic romanticism around Solskjær at the time, and anything seemed possible. Even if this side had everyone back fit for the next stage, I cannot see them being consistently good enough and I genuinely don't think the manager knows what he wants.

The_Midfielder

Magical would be qualifying and winning it all.. with penalties all next rounds ..
But we will lose and be 4th in this group

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah because it hinges on an unlikely result.
Can't see Copenhagen drawing Galatasaray.

londonredmaniac

Even if this side had everyone back fit for the next stage, I cannot see them being consistently good enough and I genuinely don't think the manager knows what he wants.
I'd enjoy it of course but, it's hard to see it even happening. But even then I just feel like the next feck up is a matter of days away.

What has really worried me is the lack of plan. I genuinely don't understand what we are trying to do.

Still, it'll kick off and I'll be hopeful. No scenario is magical for me though. Unfortunately.

Oranges038

Only if it comes from a last minute penalty from a Harry Kane handball.

buckooo1978

Magical night in Paris followed by getting our asses handed to us by Barca.

Not sure I want to see United in another CL knockout tie when we've been so poor against giants like Copenhagen and Galatassary

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Only if Hargreaves starts celebrating madly at the end after being wound up by a Bayern Munich official during the whole match, like Evra did at PSG.
You are aware that Hargreaves spend 10 years at Bayern himself? He would have more reason to be affiliated with them than with United.

K Stand Knut

Yeah.
It would magically paper over the cracks like that night in Paris did.

How long for is the main question. Just like that night in Paris

TheRedHearted

Same here. At the time I remember I had this pipe dream that he did wonders at spurs and if he had that next level spending we were golden, but that doesn’t make sense

erikcred

Bayern leading us by 1 goal with their reserve is something I can see. At 90-minute mark, we seem all in despair. Maguire, Bruno, Rashford…etc all look dejected. Then at 90-minute, the manager came to the touchline, urging for all-in attack.

Bruno put off thunderous shot but it hit Bayern’s defense line and the ball fumbled. Hoijlund was there with a striker’s insticnt and through. He won the 1-on-1 with their GK and scored the equalizer. Nice goal, but United needs a win.

It was at this moment that Old Trafford erupted. The other match has ended with a DRAW 2-2. The 4 sides of Old Trafford were all rumbling: “IT’S A DRAW! IT’S A DRAW!”

The players, for the first time tonight, got belief. Minute 90+5, we got a corner-kick. The manager signals it. Onana leaves the goal to join in this last set-piece…

Would you class this as an even bigger miracle than the night when Ole and us knocked PSG away in the Champions League?

ETH has about 10 minutes to come to the touchline urging us to attack.