If we qualify for European knock-out tonight, would it be even more magical than that night in Paris?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't know about you guys but I'm curious to hear what happened with the corner.
The corner is cleared to Harry Kane who does a few keepy ups and volleys it from the half way line into the United goal.

buchansleftleg

Paris wasn't a magical night...how we didn't lose that game many times over can be put down to witchcraft I suppose... as we didn't deserve to win it! - If we get some sort of unusual events this time then..again...scraping out of an easy group in second place won't be magical it will be embarrassing, particularly given how many goals scored and being in a winning position in SO many matches.

My prediction is another Onana "mistake" will happen....would love to see some analysis of the betting data in our champions league games....might be revealing!

Chicharo

I don't perceive that night in Paris as magical, let alone progressing to the knockout stages in a group with Copenhagen and Galatasaray.
Our standards really are low these days

saivet

Definitely not. Get through tonight and we've pipped Gala and Copenhagen to qualification, playing against a Bayern team that has already qualified top of the group.

TsuWave

“magical”, “that night in Paris”

we are so finished :lol:

Kammy26

Honestly I never got the hype around things like “that night in Paris” “Juanfield” etc etc I just found it cringe AF. I don’t know maybe I just grew up during the SAF years so come to expect victories away in Europe and against our rivals.

Anyway if we win tonight, no it won’t be special we are crap and if we somehow manage to get through we will get our ass kicked in the next round. UCL is just not our level at the moment.

Tbh I’d rather we are out of Europe all together and just focus on the league.

TheRedHearted

How about we play the game first and reflect on this kind of stuff after?
Impossible, the cafe is full of what abouts, what if’s, woulda beens, if we would have signed, where will we end up, how long till we win the premier league, etc, etc.

All a waste of time with no real answer.

United Hobbit

It shows how far we have fallen that desperately trying to clinch qualification at the last minute, due to continually throwing away leads in this competition this season while also relying on other team's results to fall in our favour could have an outcome considered magical

It is poor. And should be considered a failure. But will those high up consider it enough to, or do they only care about the top 4 trophy

As others have said, we will just get battered next round anyway. I'd rather finish last than get Europa.

Most of the players don't seem to care so it's not helping my enthusiasm, especially as it's coupled with dire football

feck me I don’t know what’s more depressing, imagining progressing out of a group consisting of Galatasaray and Copenhagen is “magical” or fantasising about a backs to the wall last 16 win against PsG :lol:

United Hobbit

What I can see happening, is we will somehow manage to be winning, only to feck it up in injury time, either through defensive or Onana howler.

Cue "Cannae take the strain captain"

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How would it be magical? It would be a good achievement considering the position we’re in but we should never be in this position to begin with! How are we fighting on the last day to get out of a group that has Copenhagen and Galatasaray in?!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Exactly my thought. It was cool, but the fact we re still looking at a single game against PSG of all teams as some magical moment of greatness for this club is a bit embarrassing. The biggest moment to me in European footie in the past years to me is when that prick of a ref red carded Nani after RvP and co showed Real who was boss. When we should have gone to the final. The PSG game only healed but a tiny smidgen of that pain and I haven't felt excited about our Euro performances since.

ErikElevenHag

The game is 0-1, news filters through that copenhagen have equalised.

United are on an attack, Kane has tracked back and brings down antony in the box, Bruno converts the penalty. 1-1, there's hope.

Final corner of the game, Kane rises highest and puts a bullet header past the Bayern Keeper and as he runs off celebrating, he takes his Bayern Munich top off and reveals a united kit underneath. Old trafford erupts and we're through to the last 16.

That's about as realistic as the scenario you just posted. We're out, accept it and move on. Acceptance of what we are has made life supporting united post-SAF much easier to cope with.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I don't think so tbh. I don't quite get the obsession with Paris. Sure, it was a good come back and dramatic but...it ultimately meant not a lot..it wasn't a final or a semi even. Nor was it really a great catalyst for anything. As good as it felt at the time.

We got rolled out with ease the next round. So can't get with this 'magical night in Paris' bollocks.

If we go through tonight, again I'm sure it will be a great night/atmosphere but ultimately if he get destroyed in the last 16 it is pretty inconsequential.

I'll stick with 'that night in Barca' I think...or similarly that mental night in Turin...which was an incredible game.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Exactly my thought. It was cool, but the fact we re still looking at a single game against PSG of all teams as some magical moment of greatness for this club is a bit embarrassing. The biggest moment to me in European footie in the past years to me is when that prick of a ref red carded Nani after RvP and co showed Real who was boss. When we should have gone to the final. The PSG game only healed but a tiny smidgen of that pain and I haven't felt excited about our Euro performances since.
This here for me.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Honestly I never got the hype around things like “that night in Paris” “Juanfield” etc etc I just found it cringe AF. I don’t know maybe I just grew up during the SAF years so come to expect victories away in Europe and against our rivals.

Anyway if we win tonight, no it won’t be special we are crap and if we somehow manage to get through we will get our ass kicked in the next round. UCL is just not our level at the moment.

Tbh I’d rather we are out of Europe all together and just focus on the league.
Juanfield was great because I've never seen us dominate at Anfield like that. Paris is embarrassing to idolise because they should have hammered us that day.

Kammy26

Juanfield was great because I've never seen us dominate at Anfield like that. Paris is embarrassing to idolise because they should have hammered us that day.
Did we dominate? They were down to 10 men for all of the second half. They also had more attempts on goal against us despite being a man less.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Did we dominate? They were down to 10 men for all of the second half. They also had more attempts on goal against us despite being a man less.
In my memory we smashed them in the first half and they barely had a kick, I had never seen us dominate like that at Anfield. Then we went 2-0 up and they had a lot of potshots. But to be fair it was a Liverpool team post Suarez under Rodgers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

A miss save from a 99 year old Buffon with arthritis and a penalty is the stuff of legends. That was Ole's greatest moment as a manager which is understandable considering that he never won anything as a manager that wasn't amateur level

Pes6Monster

The 'magical' night in Paris was the reason Woodward hired Ole full time. We were in decent form going into the game, and it was predicted we had turned the corner after the 'nightmare' of Jose.

The falsest of false dawns.

soapythecat

Let’s be honest, we haven’t seen a full 90 minute performance from United this season to suggest we will get anything from tonight. The only way we win tonight is to grind out some form of smash and grab….or we employ a totally new ETH tactic and set up we haven’t yet witnessed.

Bwuk

I can see us starting aggressively, looking ok for 15 minutes then losing 5-0.

Remember the geese

I feel sorry for the elitists who aren't capable of enjoying dramatic, though ultimately meaningless, wins in Europe.
Teary-eyed fantasies as if penned by a love-struck girl, as we drunkenly fall flat on our arses through a trap door in a group that we should have wiped the floor with.