If we sign Alexis, do we still go for Griezmann in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

If we sign Sanchez, I think we still need a #10/AM/CM that can create something in order to keep us overly relying on Pogba.
Pogba is and will be our best midfielder, so I don't expect us to go buy a Pogba v.2, but when Pogba is out or needs a rest we should have a creator to play either in midfield or at the 10 so our "penetrating attackers" can actually be fed to some extent. Rashford, Sanchez, Martial and even Lukaku has pace to run in behind and counter-attack, but only Sanchez and Martial will be able to create on their own.
I believe Mourinho agrees with this, and that is why we're reportedly interested in Özil. Because despite him being a "luxury" player, he's a creator we can get on a free that can do that job when Pogba is out.

I do believe that us getting Sanchez ends our run at Griezmann due to Griezmann being another player needing to be fed, but I believe it opens us up to buying a different kind of player, a more creative kind like for example Dybala (assumptions based on what I've read, not what I've seen).
Not that I believe we'll sign Dybala, I still believe we'll go for Özil in order to have more money to spend on upgrades elsewhere (mainly LB, RB & potentially CB).
I'm inclined to agree with this. We still need an extra bit of quality to create the type of space for the likes of Alexis to truly flourish. When Pogba was out of the team for 6 weeks we looked fairly toothless. Having another creative force will benefit Pogba in big games and means we don't feel the impact of him missing as much when he's out. Ozil playing closer to the forwards too will really help Lukaku get more 1 on 1's. It's going to be hard to find a perfect balance though with Pogba being best in a 3 but Ozil for free is a hell of a deal that you take if you can land him.

diplomat

No player we have gotten was anywhere close to 200M nor would AG or Dybala. Martial keeps starting other than the odd games we’d play 433 since 4231 would be the favoured formation - which he absolutely fits in. Rashford keeps developing as he hasn’t proved much and stays a primary sub. Mata likely leaves. Lingard despite his recent form becomes a primary bench option as Rashford is and essentially takes Mata’s spot. Pereira isn’t starter material so he’s either going to get limited minutes or will be loaned out again.

Wages will more or less balance themselves out with players leaving ...Zlatan will be gone. Mikhi gone. Carrick gone. Darmian gone. Fellaini and/or Mata gone. A central defender will likely be gone, as well as Romero.
Obviously our ideas differ totally so we should agree to disagree. I don't think another top attacking player is going to help with the confidence of our own and I'd rather give Rashford and Lingard more chances because Manchester United has always been about having and playing our own developed players.

Michael John Doyle

We dont need him. Id much rather put a bid in for a natural RW because we haven't had one since Nani. Replacing Fellaini with a quality CM and getting a Varane type CB to partner Bailly should be higher priorities.

Norris

Nope. Never thought that highly of him in the first place compared to others on here.

Andersons Dietician

Nah, only issue is dependant on how Jose views Martial and Rashford. Zlatan likely to be gone so we might need another striker. We have a number 10 shirt free and someone like Griezman could play just behind Lukaku in Jose’s 4231.
Wouldn’t say he is a Jose profile striker but he could do a job if something was to happen to Lukaku and Jose doesn’t fancy Rashford or Martial up top. I’d prefer Dybala Just think he is the far better footballer.

tombob

Don't think we do, he had is chance to sign and hasn't been great this season. we would be better with someone like Ozil who has the killer pass and is good on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a world-class midfielder for the reasons stated in this thread. Griezmann can go to Barca.

Hojoon

Nah, our main formation should be 4-3-3 so no spot for Griezmann's best position.

Kag

Yes. We still need a second striker that can play across the wholeattack, effectively replacing Rooney back when he was great.

Griezmann, if available, would be relatively good value in today's market and would further improve our attacking options. Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Griezmann would be (on paper) up there with the best attacks around.

Pogba playing in a three is of course more ideal. But this signing wouldn't necessarily prevent that.

Killer_mufc

We can switch to a 4-3-3 and we can play both sanchez and griezmann.

-------------------Lukaku/Rashford--------------------------
Sanchez/Martial---------------------Lingard/Girezmann----
--------------------Mata/Pogba-------------------------------
---------------Matic----------Harrera-------------------------

OR(best suited for both sanchez and griezmann)

------Lukaku/Rashford----Matrial/Griezmann--
-----------Sanchez/Lingard/Mata----------------
-----------------------Pogba----------------------
-------------Matic-------------Harrera------------

so if Jose wants to change the formation i dont see any reason why both cant play together.with the formation and team which you can see above both can play in a position they are good at and there is also a cover for each position.

davidmichael

I never wanted him anyway as he’s limited to where he’s actually effective, he can literally only play as a support striker/10 as seen when played by France on the right and Atletico as main striker.

If we sign Ozil then add that to Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Mata then we're good up top so adding a world class all round midfielder to complement Pogba and our front 6 is potentially fantastic.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Hell yeah we should. Look at the depth City have in their attack. Sign Griezmann, a CM and a young LB and we are good for next year.

ti vu

No.

They including Martial who love to drop in the space in front of the opposition defense line, are forwards. Would be a mess trying to service all these forwards

Devil may care

No, signing Sanchez should knock the Griezmann/Bale/Ronaldo, hopefully Ozil and sadly Dybala rumours on the head. The big money this summer should be on a top CM to complete the midfield 3. If we buy an attacker I see it being a versatile younger player to add depth.

Hellboy

He can feck off.

We'll need a couple of CM's + FB's. Maybe another winger to provide width and cover (Lucas ?).

SomeRandomPerson

I'm willing to bet good money that the Griezmann deal is now off the table. Who we end up signing depends on where Sanchez fits in. All these posts with Sanchez on the right, I fear he'll just come in to play off the left and that will be an issue for Rashford and Martial's game time. Wouldn't it be great if we could just play him wide right and be done with our worries :yawn:

In the summer, I can see us getting Ozil on a free, which with Sanchez also signing is genuinely an exciting addition.
De Gea
Valencia-Bailly-Jones-Shaw
Matic-Pogba
Sanchez-Ozil-Martial
Lukaku

That is genuinely a very good side. There are still issues of course with regards to Pogba being at his best further upfield, and occasionally emptying midfield, Shaw maintaining the manager's trust and Bailly and Jones staying fit. I just feel like, as others have already pointed out, we are far too reliant on Pogba to create chances and dictate games, and Ozil adds a lot on that front. He might shrink in big games but he is one of the most consistent creators in world football and on a free would be great business. Plus, frees up cash for upgrading the fullback roles, if need be; Jose could finally do what Guardiola did and "buy fullbacks for the price of strikers". Hopefully that will cheer the miserable git up.

RMD83

I love how now we are getting Sanchez we all of a sudden don’t need or want griezzmann. I bet as soon as the first griezzmann to united story surfaces in the daily star it will be followed by a 500 page thread where our entire season hinges on griezzmann joining.

DaveTheRed

Griezmann would be great to fill the RW role, however, if Sanchez comes in (and the interest Barca showed) we might chose to not follow up with him. I do believe we lack someone like Ozil to spread out passes for forward runs (in behind the defense), last game (and not only) I saw Martial and Mata do plenty of those but no through balls.
Dybala would be another statement as Pogba was, a young very talented attacking player that will boost the team as a whole. As he is relatively young and south american, there are a lot of questions coming into the English league, yet what he showed until now would make him one of the best bets and value for the money.

Based on past observation, I believe we won't get Griezmann, nor Dybala, but probably Ozil (Mou knows him and has PL experience), which won't be that bad though.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Obviously our ideas differ totally so we should agree to disagree. I don't think another top attacking player is going to help with the confidence of our own and I'd rather give Rashford and Lingard more chances because Manchester United has always been about having and playing our own developed players.
Fair play, no biggie.

The way I see it, José and the board want to win next season and it was the plan all along (3 year/season process). José has confirmed this prior to the season starting by mentioning he needs one more summer window before he feels comfortable the team is a finished product. And especially seeing how far ahead City are, to make up that distance I feel the club won’t shy away or cheap out even if we’re able to secure Sanchez and will go about their business like they would have regardless. It’s about winning the league next season + José’s comments about spending big money on a single player(s), they’d rather be safe than sorry and try to acquire the best player(s) out there, again, especially seeing how strong City are.

And I think even if it means homegrown players losing a potential starting spot where they could have otherwise played or proved themselves in, as it’ll all be about upgrades and competing now. I also think that was sort of the motto when SAF ran things as only he was capable of doing. I don’t think anyone else will ever be able to duplicate how he was able to promote homegrown players and get the absolute maximum potential out of them. Football’s landscape has changed as well and you have to bite the bullet to acquire world class players if you want to be the best otherwise you’ll be left behind. Look no further than this season at hand - City bit the bullet and they’re well ahead of everyone else and United have realized that with José often bringing up how the club has to pay more for top quality. And then again it’s not like we’d totally be isolating Rashford or Lingard by selling them off or anything...they’d still get considerable playing time being primary subs and considering how many competitions English sides are in, to start games every handful of days for the starters to rest in.

But hey, this is just my $0.02 and view on things. To get the best of both worlds, as I do think it’d be a bit foolish to rely on Lingard to be a starter and maintain the level he’s currently playing at when the club has more than enough means to simply not have to do that, upgrade, and improve the team’s overall positional depth. I don’t see why that would in any way be harmful to the club honestly.

diplomat

Fair play, no biggie.

The way I see it, José and the board want to win next season and it was the plan all along (3 year/season process). José has confirmed this prior to the season starting by mentioning he needs one more summer window before he feels comfortable the team is a finished product. And especially seeing how far ahead City are, to make up that distance I feel the club won’t shy away or cheap out even if we’re able to secure Sanchez and will go about their business like they would have regardless. It’s about winning the league next season + José’s comments about spending big money on a single player(s), they’d rather be safe than sorry and try to acquire the best player(s) out there, again, especially seeing how strong City are.

And I think even if it means homegrown players losing a potential starting spot where they could have otherwise played or proved themselves in, as it’ll all be about upgrades and competing now. I also think that was sort of the motto when SAF ran things as only he was capable of doing. I don’t think anyone else will ever be able to duplicate how he was able to promote homegrown players and get the absolute maximum potential out of them. Football’s landscape has changed as well and you have to bite the bullet to acquire world class players if you want to be the best otherwise you’ll be left behind. Look no further than this season at hand - City bit the bullet and they’re well ahead of everyone else and United have realized that with José often bringing up how the club has to pay more for top quality. And then again it’s not like we’d totally be isolating Rashford or Lingard by selling them off or anything...they’d still get considerable playing time being primary subs and considering how many competitions English sides are in, to start games every handful of days for the starters to rest in.

But hey, this is just my $0.02 and view on things. To get the best of both worlds, as I do think it’d be a bit foolish to rely on Lingard to be a starter and maintain the level he’s currently playing at when the club has more than enough means to simply not have to do that, upgrade, and improve the team’s overall positional depth. I don’t see why that would in any way be harmful to the club honestly.
Nicely put mate, but I still disagree. Sorry for that.

I'd rather the club spends the money on 1 top CM and one backup CM/DM, since Carrick and Fellaini are not going to be at the club after the season ends. We could also be looking for a young potential RB to prepare for Valencia's inevitable decline due to his progressing years, unless Fosu-Mensah is lined up to become his understudy.

Also, I personally feel that the club can wait a bit on the next superstar attacker, due to Sanchez arriving, and I would prefer much more if we sign someone like Kane, Neymar or even Mbappe for that kind of money. This is because I don't really rate neither Griezmann nor Dybala, at least not as much as I rate the beforementioned players.

I'd be alright with Ozil to be honest, since he would cost no fee, however his contract expenses and wages would be astronomical, whilst also having the requirement to be an unconditional first 11 player, which I wouldn't be happy with.

TrebleFan99

What would be the downside about signing Griezmann?

He's world class. Doesn't mean we won't strengthen elsewhere either. Just think passing him if the opportunity arises would be daft.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
What would be the downside about signing Griezmann?

He's world class. Doesn't mean we won't strengthen elsewhere either. Just think passing him if the opportunity arises would be daft.
We don’t have a bottomless pot of money, signing Griezmann would be fantastic, but should we sign Sanchez then that money should be spread over a top quality LB & CM rather than spent on a position we are likely fairly well stocked in.

Trust me I’d like Griezmann at Utd as well as Sanchez, I just don’t think he would be as desperately needed if we have another star attacker arrive this month :)

Utd7

No I think we will bring in Ozil to play the Lingard No 10 free role.

We'll also buy a fullback and possibly a MF

Also he dressed himself in blackface as a Harlem Globetrotter with an afro. That kind of behavior is unacceptable and wouldn't want him at the club.

Last edited:

Silas

I'm thinking we might stick with a 433 eventually, so no. Not that Griezmann would come anyway.

Needham

This season we've seen the hairstyles behind the man and I don't like what we've seen. Ideally we'd be going for someone like peak Robert Prosinecki but where is such a player today?
Alas....

roseguy64

We dont need him. Id much rather put a bid in for a natural RW because we haven't had one since Nani. Replacing Fellaini with a quality CM and getting a Varane type CB to partner Bailly should be higher priorities.
We're not buying another CB. We have 5 currently not including Tuanzebe and Blind.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Nicely put mate, but I still disagree. Sorry for that.

I'd rather the club spends the money on 1 top CM and one backup CM/DM, since Carrick and Fellaini are not going to be at the club after the season ends. We could also be looking for a young potential RB to prepare for Valencia's inevitable decline due to his progressing years, unless Fosu-Mensah is lined up to become his understudy.

Also, I personally feel that the club can wait a bit on the next superstar attacker, due to Sanchez arriving, and I would prefer much more if we sign someone like Kane, Neymar or even Mbappe for that kind of money. This is because I don't really rate neither Griezmann nor Dybala, at least not as much as I rate the beforementioned players.

I'd be alright with Ozil to be honest, since he would cost no fee, however his contract expenses and wages would be astronomical, whilst also having the requirement to be an unconditional first 11 player, which I wouldn't be happy with.
I agree with us needing a CM as we’re going to get one regardless. However, I can’t think of any top CM that’s even available for United to pursue. There’s none really unless I’m forgetting and I mean in terms of world class/top end quality. That’s essentially why I believe United will get one of those attacking players whether it be either AG, Dybala, or Ozil on top of that CM - because United will have another big (money) signing (£75M+, unless it’s Ozil on a free) and quite frankly there’s no available CM out there that’d hit that threshold. Not to mention that CM won’t be an everyday starter as he’d likely have to sit the games a mid2 is played, unless Matic sits which I don’t see happening but either way will most likely be a primary sub as I expect Lingard to be if we sign a no10/SS. SMS, Kovacic, Weigl, Vidal, ...all would cost sub £60M aka not a big money signing which JM surely will push to use. José has mentioned us needing to invest more in single player acquisitions and not cheap out + with it being the crucial 3rd window which Mourinho has said he needs to finalize the squad in terms of a final product capable of competing for all titles and competitions.

There’s no guarantees in that so I doubt the club would bank on the stars and planets to align for them 1.5 years from now to get those players. Can’t see the Spurs ever selling Kane within the EPL, if anything would be to RM or someone. Neymar’s buyout clause is too much and Mbappe there’s no sign of him leaving PSG. If anything, 2-3 years from now when Sanchez starts declining the club can decide to cut him loose and go after someone similar to that, that becomes available. I just don’t see the board+Mourinho passing up the opportunity to get an AG/Dybala/Ozil if available this summer.

And yea I don’t really care who it is in terms of having some sort of preference since each player offers something a bit different than the others. As long as United are able to get any 1 of those 3 it’ll be considered a success. If not, then tbh I just think we’d be setting ourselves up for disappointment expecting to compete with the likes of City and all the quality they already have + will get/improve and upgrade on in the Summer. I mean we’re getting a CM regardless that’ll cost at most £60M due to none worth more being available; I just don’t see that as any excuse or reason for the club to not go ahead with their big money signing as it’s more than manageable. When it’s all said and done I can’t see how United don’t spend at the minimum £200M by the time next season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.