If we sign Alexis, do we still go for Griezmann in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No, not a chance. Sanchez will fill the same void Griezmann was supposed to fill and he is as good as him.

We will need full back, central midfielder and a winger/offensive midfielder, still.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Hope so. Griezman still has many years left on his prime while Alexis depends much more on his physical condition which won't be at its peak for more than 2-3 seasons, if things go well.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
How many world class players do we have. I make it two - Pogba and de Gea.

How many do we need to win Champions League? I reckon four minimum, including at least one forward. So yes, we need two more.

Dave1812

No i don't think so I still think we need another attacking player to add to the squad because Zlatan will leave in summer but Griezmann to expensive so I would like us to go for Mahrez but i think that is unlikely. I also think we need a good back up full back to cover Shaw. And 2 centre midfielders to replace Carrick(retire) and Fellaini I would love Toni Kross or somebody like that.

diplomat

How many world class players do we have. I make it two - Pogba and de Gea.

How many do we need to win Champions League? I reckon four minimum, including at least one forward. So yes, we need two more.
Aren't Lukaku and Sanchez supposed to be world class? And Martial can become world class if he reaches consistency, in my opinion.

Then we have Lingard, who is showing quality play and productivity, Rashford - for me definitely a player with true world class potential - and Mata, who seems to be happy staying here as more of a squad player and I'm perfectly fine with that and extending his contract.

glazed

Aren't Lukaku and Sanchez supposed to be world class? And Martial can become world class if he reaches consistency, in my opinion.

Then we have Lingard, who is showing quality play and productivity, Rashford - for me definitely a player with true world class potential - and Mata, who seems to be happy staying here as more of a squad player and I'm perfectly fine with that and extending his contract.
Sanchez by reputation but we'll see. Lukaku nowhere near. The others maybe. Lingard seems the closest.

Bearded One

There'd be no need for Griezmann in summer particularly because I think Sanchez would be used more as a RW for the rest of the season because that's the area of greater need. I expect him however to be played more behind the striker where he can influence games better after our summer activity when we would have gotten a proper winger. Personally I'd love to see either Mahrez or Di Maria in our colours but I guess we may just have to wait and see. I like the look of Gelson Martins and Leon Bailey but in these transitional times, I'd rather we go for the experienced and and time-tested and then when we are settled a bit more we can add exciting youngsters to our ranks.

PeteManic

If Coutinho doesn't take the 7 shirt at Barcelona, you can bet that Griezmann already has a house bought on the other side of Suarez.

diplomat

Sanchez by reputation but we'll see. Lukaku nowhere near. The others maybe. Lingard seems the closest.
So why did we pay £75m, potentially up to £90m, for a player who is nowhere near world class? We should have just thrown £150m at Tottenham for Kane and be done with it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If Coutinho doesn't take the 7 shirt at Barcelona, you can bet that Griezmann already has a house bought on the other side of Suarez.
I think I read somewhere that they are waiting for Masch's departure, so that coutinho could get #14.

POF

If Sanchez signs I can't see United going for Griezmann. They won't play the same position but I don't think their styles complement each other well.

With a front 3 of Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial/Rashford, the team needs more creativity rather than another goal scorer. Ozil would be a better option at number 10 behind that 3. He is also available for free, plays well with Sanchez and seems to have a great relationship with Jose.

Griezmann seems likely to go to Barca anyway but Ozil is a signing that makes a lot of sense.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
If we seriously want to compete with City and assuming Sanchez is going to play on the right. We still need a world class number 10 (arguably the most important position in a team). Griezmann fits the bill for me.

sherrinford

If Sanchez signs I can't see United going for Griezmann. They won't play the same position but I don't think their styles complement each other well.

With a front 3 of Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial/Rashford, the team needs more creativity rather than another goal scorer. Ozil would be a better option at number 10 behind that 3. He is also available for free, plays well with Sanchez and seems to have a great relationship with Jose.

Griezmann seems likely to go to Barca anyway but Ozil is a signing that makes a lot of sense.
I think Griezmann would compliment our other players well, were he to line up at no.10 with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez around him. To say we don’t need another goal scorer and dismissing him as such is doing him a disservice.

His game is all about movement and sharp touches - he has a supreme appreciation of space, both laterally, finding pockets ‘in the hole’ as a great many advanced midfielders/ withdrawn strikers do/ have done (David Silva, Rooney, Tevez) and making penetrating runs from deep (Ljungberg, Pedro, Ludovic Giuly). He creates space for himself and his teammates excellently, and exploits it equally so.

His game on the ball is all about pass and move, he is highly technical and often plays one-two’s and uses one or two touches in the same way that Pogba, Martial and Ibrahimovic have done in tight spaces.

I could see him enhancing that aspect of our play and he also has more of an inclination to operate in the inside right channel than any of the players in our second line of attack - which could help the balance of the team, with all of said good, sharp passing combinations coming down the left. With Sanchez on the right and Griezmann no.10 I would hope we could build play more evenly using the entire pitch.

For an example of how beneficial a player of Griezmann’s ilk could be to our play, you only have to look at Lingard - a player of similar tendencies, a perpetual mover/ runner. Even before his recent patch of terrific form, he offered something different in his general play and helped balance the side by not always coming towards the ball, when selected.

Were Lingard to carry on with his recent displays through to the end of the season, there would be a massive question mark around how worthwhile buying Griezmann would be - then again, Matic was brought in to replace the player of the year. I expect Lingard to tail off and continue being useful for team balance but in a starting spot which the club should look to upgrade, and for which Griezmann would be an upgrade.

For me though, he wouldn’t be the best upgrade with Ozil available on a free. Both Ozil’s movement and athleticism are underrated, he too is a very intelligent mover who consistently identifies space and often takes opportunities to run in behind. Griezmann is a busier player, more frenetic with his running, whereas Ozil is more conservative and has more imagination, range and ability in his passing.

I expect us to sign Ozil and I think it would be a no-brained really. I question where Sanchez is going to play, how impactful he’s going to be and how much his first six months here will impact our summer transfer plans. In Madrid, Mourinho mostly moved Ozil to the right wing or the bench for the games against Barcelona. Here there would be far more ‘big’ games against sides of similar quality to ourselves, so I also question how that would work and whether Jose would prefer a more secure no.10 or a deeper midfield player. Despite all that I still expect us to sign him simply because there’s no point missing out on him for free.

glazed

So why did we pay £75m, potentially up to £90m, for a player who is nowhere near world class? We should have just thrown £150m at Tottenham for Kane and be done with it.
If Levy would sell him for that I would bite his hand off in then current market. But he's a lot smarter that that.

POF

I think Griezmann would compliment our other players well, were he to line up at no.10 with Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez around him. To say we don’t need another goal scorer and dismissing him as such is doing him a disservice.

His game is all about movement and sharp touches - he has a supreme appreciation of space, both laterally, finding pockets ‘in the hole’ as a great many advanced midfielders/ withdrawn strikers do/ have done (David Silva, Rooney, Tevez) and making penetrating runs from deep (Ljungberg, Pedro, Ludovic Giuly). He creates space for himself and his teammates excellently, and exploits it equally so.

His game on the ball is all about pass and move, he is highly technical and often plays one-two’s and uses one or two touches in the same way that Pogba, Martial and Ibrahimovic have done in tight spaces.

I could see him enhancing that aspect of our play and he also has more of an inclination to operate in the inside right channel than any of the players in our second line of attack - which could help the balance of the team, with all of said good, sharp passing combinations coming down the left. With Sanchez on the right and Griezmann no.10 I would hope we could build play more evenly using the entire pitch.

For an example of how beneficial a player of Griezmann’s ilk could be to our play, you only have to look at Lingard - a player of similar tendencies, a perpetual mover/ runner. Even before his recent patch of terrific form, he offered something different in his general play and helped balance the side by not always coming towards the ball, when selected.

Were Lingard to carry on with his recent displays through to the end of the season, there would be a massive question mark around how worthwhile buying Griezmann would be - then again, Matic was brought in to replace the player of the year. I expect Lingard to tail off and continue being useful for team balance but in a starting spot which the club should look to upgrade, and for which Griezmann would be an upgrade.

For me though, he wouldn’t be the best upgrade with Ozil available on a free. Both Ozil’s movement and athleticism are underrated, he too is a very intelligent mover who consistently identifies space and often takes opportunities to run in behind. Griezmann is a busier player, more frenetic with his running, whereas Ozil is more conservative and has more imagination, range and ability in his passing.

I expect us to sign Ozil and I think it would be a no-brained really. I question where Sanchez is going to play, how impactful he’s going to be and how much his first six months here will impact our summer transfer plans. In Madrid, Mourinho mostly moved Ozil to the right wing or the bench for the games against Barcelona. Here there would be far more ‘big’ games against sides of similar quality to ourselves, so I also question how that would work and whether Jose would prefer a more secure no.10 or a deeper midfield player. Despite all that I still expect us to sign him simply because there’s no point missing out on him for free.
I very much agree. Before United's interest in Sanchez became clear, my hope (and expectation) was that United would sign two forward players - Griezmann and Ozil. They were a really good fit to complement the attack with Ozil's class and creativity and Griezmann's movement and goal scoring ability. Both would add a new dimension to the attack and are also excellent in transition so would improve the counter attacking element of United's game.

I don't think anyone at the club thought Sanchez was an option. He always seemed likely to be sold before his contract expired and there was no way Arsenal would sell to United. If things hadn't turned so toxic with Arsenal and Sanchez I still think that would be the case.

Now, with Sanchez coming in, the key attributes that Griezmann would bring to the team are coming with Sanchez. He's another player with excellent movement who plays at a high tempo and adds another goal scoring dimension to the team.

The major gap in the side remains another creative player with the imagination and technique to be the creative heart of the team. When Pogba is unavailable the lack of creativity in the side is scary and I think that spell without Pogba sealed Mkhitaryan's fate at the club. That was his time to step up and his form went the other way.

I also think a front 4 of Sanchez, Griezmann, Martial and Lukaku just simply all play too high up the pitch. They are all pure forwards whereas Ozil loves dropping deeper and is really comfortable on the ball in a deeper position. The balance of the front 6 would be far better.

I'm a big fan of Griezmann and I was really excited about him coming to the club. I also really expected "AgentP" would make it happen. But if Sanchez comes in, Barca can have him. Ozil is the only other attacking player the club needs to be in for before next season.

theREDMAN

I believe the only reason we are getting Sanchez and giving him the no.7 shirt is that we know Griezmann has his heart set on Barca. I don’t think we are getting him now to be honest.

Number1

I believe the only reason we are getting Sanchez and giving him the no.7 shirt is that we know Griezmann has his heart set on Barca. I don’t think we are getting him now to be honest.
Numbers can be changed though, do you think if United resigned Ronaldo he'd have any other number other than 7?

I still think even with Sanchez we need someone in the Griezmann mold for the reasons i said on Page4.

Either one of Griezmann or Dybala would be my ideal summer signings, Bale would be a good back-up option if we can't get 1 of those 2.

theREDMAN

Numbers can be changed though, do you think if United resigned Ronaldo he'd have any other number other than 7?

I still think even with Sanchez we need someone in the Griezmann mold for the reasons i said on Page4.

Either one of Griezmann or Dybala would be my ideal summer signings, Bale would be a good back-up option if we can't get 1 of those 2.
I agree. I think Bale will get back to fitness with this summer off and no WC so I would like to see us get him.

AndyJ1985

Yes go for Griezmann too, or Dybala. The very best teams have several elite players and are always looking to improve. The signing of Sanchez alone doesn't suddenly give us the best attacking lineup in world football.

Mickfoley

Why does every club act like the number 7 is an iconic number. It's unique and iconic to Manchester United for a reason. We should charge these clubs a tax for this. I know he wears number 7 but still.

manutddjw

I thought Barcelona had a massive wage bill and weren’t doing so well financially? They spent the Neymar money on Dembele and Coutinho and their moves out are loan deals. Would they even be able to pay the release clause?

cyril C

Best possible outcome of Sanchez is that we'll finally get rid of Ronaldo returning rumors. They were starting to do me :mad:
No way. Someone will always create a rumour whenever he doesn't get a pay rise or a contract to his desire. I don't think Mourinho or the Board bother because they know what is happening, only fans fall for it.

cyril C

I thought Barcelona had a massive wage bill and weren’t doing so well financially? They spent the Neymar money on Dembele and Coutinho and their moves out are loan deals. Would they even be able to pay the release clause?
That was the original story a few weeks ago, but Barca is releasing a few players off their wage bill and assuming they will win the Champion this season, they might be able to afford it, particularly if the payment is instalment.

EyeInTheSky

I think I read somewhere that they are waiting for Masch's departure, so that coutinho could get #14.
According to official Barcelona site they say that its all BS:

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/news/2017-2018/fc-barcelona-official-announcement

Strange how they have gone to the trouble of making an official announcement about it.

Laurentiu amt

According to official Barcelona site they say that its all BS:

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/club/news/2017-2018/fc-barcelona-official-announcement

Strange how they have gone to the trouble of making an official announcement about it.
Wasn't there a story that ATM reported Barca to LaLiga for talking with Griez around their back?
Basically Barca are saving their a$$es with an official statement. (This doesn't mean that they didn't agree anything on Griez though.)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's older than Griezmann, but I think In every other way Sanchez is a better signing for us

Kapardin

We should, as Griezmann can play SS instead of Lingard, but I doubt we will. Plus, I think the L magnet has decided to go to Barca over us for some reason, so we can't likely get him even if we wanted to.

Focus on Dybala. Sanchez, Dybala -- About time we landed some top South American players (Valencia not withstanding).

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Sanchez is a better player imo, just not got so many years left so I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on Griezmann if I were you lot. If he's actually signed for Barca, they've well and truly abandoned their home grown mantra this season. All that more than a club bollocks. They'll have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th most expensive players on the planet (until Mbappe officially goes to PSG anyway) and sold the 1st. Wasn't they whinging about PSG spending not so long ago?

lex talionis

It's unlikely Griezmann will ever come to United, but if were possible it seems to me Griezmann would be a massive, massive upgrade on Lingard. (To state the obvious.)

We could easily go 433 or 4231. And with the injury toll we inevitably are going to suffer it wouldn't hurt to have a proven world class attacking player. It's not as though we're scoring freely these days. And even with Sanchez, I'm not sure we'd yet be the kind of attacking force that would concern Barcelona, Real, Juve and Bayern than much.

DarkXaero

Depends on whether 4-2-3-1 is our future or 4-3-3. If its 4-2-3-1 then signing Griezmann still makes sense. Having Griezmann, Alexis, Martial, Pogba in the same team would be amazing.

Acole9

Outstanding
Griezmann is not happening now, seems like the club haven't followed up their interest since the summer.

Revan

Assumptionman

Lukaku is nowhere near, nor he will ever be a world class player. He is a good player and can be a very good player for us but not one of the best players in the world.

Sanchez is borderline world class (as is Pogba) and Martial has potential to do so. Rashford and Lingard, I am afraid not.

De Gea is the only unquestionable world class player in our team. He could get in any team in the world bar possibly Bayern.

Griezmann is better than anything we have, but I think that it is very unlikely for this to happen now.

Nakhon Phanom

Now it looks like we have Sanchez I don't think we will go for Griezmann.Ozil is likely to come in the summer for free and maybe Dybala to replace Zlatan.
I think the main priority should be a top class defensive holding midfielder which will free up Pogba to attack more.
But theres a lot of players who could be moving on......maybe a few from Darmian,Blind,Fellaini,Herrera,Smalling,Mata,Zlatan,Carrick (retired).

Needham

Given the package we've pumped Sanchez with, there's gonna be a lot of hungry footballing hippos looking in the direction of Old Trafford this summer. Our package trumps the Manchester rain.

United UAE

I think it depends on how the team will line up for next year. Are we going with 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3?

In case we are playing 4-2-3-1 then yes we need to go for Griezmann or Ozil (maybe Dybala if possible!)

Matic - Pogba
Alexis - Griezmann - Martial
Lukaku

But if we are going to play with 3 in midfield (which will give Pogba more freedom) then we should save the Griezmann money for a top midfielder.

In my opinion Jose should stick with 4-3-3, Its better against top teams and also in the CL. Also, its really important to get the best out of Pogba.

We always can change to 4-2-3-1 when we face weaker teams but in these games I believe that the players we already have should do the job.

slir32

I would go for a top class midfielder and stick with a 433. If we need to play 4231 against certain weaker teams Mata or Lingard are more then good enough to fit that role its a squad game after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.