If you could change the outcome, or one specific moment, from a single match what would it be?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Out of all of our European misadventures, and there have been too many, the one that stays with me was going out to Leverkusen in the 2002 CL semi. Unbelievable missed opportunity. Seem to remember Barthez being tiny finally counted against him at some point during that tie.

What made it worse was that somehow I'd won 2 tickets to the final in Glasgow earlier that week on the uefa website, and we only had to beat blood Leverkusen. Argh.
The only silver lining about that is, had we won the Champions League that year I think Sir Alex would've followed through on his threat to resign as manager. All the talk at the time is the Board wanted to bring in Sven. Imagine where that would've led us! :houllier:

Portsmouth, FA Cup, 2008.

I'd eradicate the club's existence if possible
We'd have won the treble. Refereeing in that match was abysmal. Can pick out any number of moments from that match.

I'm actually now just torturing myself by lurking in this thread. Just remembering more and more injustices that screwed us over.

Am I really the first one to mention either of Barça CL finals? We could’ve well been the first time in history to have defended the European title. Has to be that game
The second one was a cat with a mouse but, tell you what, if Eto'o didn't score than first goal...Barcelona looked well shaky until that goal settled them. But as soon as you gave that team a 1-0 lead to defend the passing carousel started. We did well in 2011 to get back into it but we were totally outmatched. However, that 2009 game. If we just stop that Eto'o goal and keep applying pressure...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The loss you mean? 1-0 thanks to Shaun bloody Maloney
Was that the season Wigan pulled off the great escape?

I really liked that team - Diame, Moses, Mccarthy, Maloney etc managed by Martinez. They always played entertaining football.

TempusFugit

Get Pau Torres out of the fecking way for Cavani's header against Villareal. Ole would've won a trophy and the club would be in a much better place.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Was that the season Wigan pulled off the great escape?

I really liked that team - Diame, Moses, Mccarthy, Maloney etc managed by Martinez. They always played entertaining football.
It was.

They had a few seasons of doing it but that season especially was tight.

tomaldinho1

That they didn't cancel the 19/20 season when covid kicked in & deprived us of the biggest RAWK meltdown of all time.

Alive and Kicking

Waddle not squaring it to Platt/Lineker during ET of that '90 semi-final. The shot he took wasn't really on (I think it gets tipped - via the faintest fingertip touch you'll ever see - onto the post, rather than it being an outright 'miss') and you can't really look to the penalty shootout as that was lost right from the beginning.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Portsmouth 2008 FA Cup. We win another treble.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Would be nice if Nani didn't stomp someone in the chest, but i think i'd go for the offside goal from a freekick that wasn't a freekick, that won them the league.

Wittmann45

Fletcher red card vs Arsenal in 2009. I think United still loses to Barca, but having Fletcher as part of the midfield three, instead of Anderson, makes the game much closer. He was United's best CM that year and one of the best in the world in his form.

People also suggesting Nani's red card, I think United would have struggled against Bayern that year. Bayern waltz their way into the final, destroying Barca along the way, and were easily the best team in Europe that year.

Dominos

Delaying the inevitable with that, really.

Scholes offside goal vs Porto in 2004 would be the one for me. We'd have another CL title if they'd got that call right.
The Scholes offside v Porto is an outstanding shout. The linesman had a clear view but botched it all. Cost us a CL trophy.
The arrogance of these posts :lol:

It was a last 16 tie, not a final.

Rafael sending off vs Bayern.

We win that tie, rest Rooney and win another Champions League.
Not sure how realistic it is that we'd have been resting Rooney given we were still battling for the league title till the last day.

We also had 2 more ties to play including treble winners Inter... Not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion we had the trophy in the bag.

Siorac

First one that springs to mind was Beckham kicking out at Simeone in the World Cup. I reckon we'd have gone on to win it that year.
That's a bold call, considering England would have had to beat the Netherlands, Brazil, and France for that to happen. Calling that unlikely would be a monumental understatement.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Am I really the first one to mention either of Barça CL finals? We could’ve well been the first time in history to have defended the European title. Has to be that game
The obvious answer really. Some of the other suggestions had so much more still to happen to ultimately end up winning something, with the exception of Agueroooo, but that was delaying the inevitable as has already been mentioned

Siorac

Also that disallowed goal came just before the end of the first half. Porto would have had 45 minutes to get a result, it's not exactly guaranteed that we would have beaten them.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

So what? If all the other results stayed the same we tended to get good results vs Lyon. Deportivo were underwhelming, despite their miracle result vs AC Milan and we'd likely have rolled over Monaco based on our quality and pedigree. It's no stretch and certainly not arrogant.

Also that disallowed goal came just before the end of the first half. Porto would have had 45 minutes to get a result, it's not exactly guaranteed that we would have beaten them.
2-0 up at OT at half time. Are you guys even United fans or have the post Fergie years decimated your recollection of the kind of team we used to be?

Dominos

So what? If all the other results stayed the same we tended to get good results vs Lyon. Deportivo were underwhelming, despite their miracle result vs AC Milan and we'd likely have rolled over Monaco based on our quality and pedigree. It's no stretch and certainly not arrogant.

2-0 up at OT at half time. Are you guys even United fans or have the post Fergie years decimated your recollection of the kind of team we used to be?
Imagine if Liverpool or Arsenal or any other team started listing every last 16 tie they ever lost and claimed they were robbed of the trophy that year because it was inevitable they'd have won the quarters, semis and final. It's beyond arrogant.

The champions league is very difficult to win, the fact Fergie only got his hands on 2 is testament to that. "The team we used to be" you say as if we won every champions league trophy we ever contested.

Sylar

I think change the outcome of the 2009 final
We would have won the European Cup a 4th time and first to win CL back to back

Siorac

Monaco knocked out a Chelsea side that finished ahead of us in the league that season and Real Madrid's quality and pedigree didn't help them much against them either.

We were no great shakes in 2003/04, really, particularly after Rio's suspension. This was the starting line-up against Porto:

Howard, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Butt, Giggs, Scholes, van Nistelrooy

Yeah, that offside call was a shocking decision - but we were pretty much awful in both games against Porto. We shouldn't pretend otherwise, it wasn't like getting knocked out by Leverkusen in 2002 where we absolutely battered them. Incidentally, I'd change that: Forlan's late chance to go in so that Fergie gets to compete in a CL final in Glasgow.

Dr. Dwayne

Imagine if Liverpool or Arsenal or any other team started listing every last 16 tie they ever lost and claimed they were robbed of the trophy that year because it was inevitable they'd have won the quarters, semis and final. It's beyond arrogant.

The champions league is very difficult to win, the fact Fergie only got his hands on 2 is testament to that. "The team we used to be" you say as if we won every champions league trophy we ever contested.
We were the top team after the group stage that year winning more points than anyone. Logically that made us favourites. It's not anywhere close to arrogant to consider that had we not been screwed over by a terrible call causing us to go out against Porto that we would have made it to the final and likely have won it. We were denied a perfectly legitimate goal. There are no delusional claims here.

The team we used to be as in one that made it to the quarter finals, semi finals and finals of the CL on a regular basis.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
Henderson's red against City in 13-14 season. I firmly believe that we would have won the title if he was available. Gerrard worked as a deep lying creator because Hendo did all the dirty work. We missed him in those final games.

Dr. Dwayne

Monaco knocked out a Chelsea side that finished ahead of us in the league that season and Real Madrid's quality and pedigree didn't help them much against them either.

We were no great shakes in 2003/04, really, particularly after Rio's suspension. This was the starting line-up against Porto:

Howard, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Djemba-Djemba, Butt, Giggs, Scholes, van Nistelrooy

Yeah, that offside call was a shocking decision - but we were pretty much awful in both games against Porto. We shouldn't pretend otherwise, it wasn't like getting knocked out by Leverkusen in 2002 where we absolutely battered them. Incidentally, I'd change that: Forlan's late chance to go in so that Fergie gets to compete in a CL final in Glasgow.
As I posted above, we were the best team coming out of the group stages that year. Logically, making us favourites. It's not arrogant to consider that we likely would have gone all the way to the final.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s got to be that aguero goal late on that cost us the title!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So many off the top of my head. If i have to pick one, mmmm....caniggia's goal

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Not sure I'd go with Scholes vs. Porto in 2003/04 simply because it was a last 16 tie. Same reason I wouldn't go for Nani red card in 2012/13.

My pick would probably be that Portsmouth FA Cup tie in 2007/08 because that would have given us pretty much a clear run to another Treble.

The Scholes goal is an interesting one though for a potential butterfly effect chain:
  • Scholes' goal rightfully stands, Porto are eliminated in the round of 16, Jose Mourinho doesn't win the Champions League
  • Jose Mourinho doesn't win the Champions League, Chelsea don't hire him
  • Chelsea don't hire Jose Mourinho, they don't win anything, despite Abramovich's millions
  • Chelsea don't win anything, City and PSG aren't bought out and bankrolled in similar fashions, also Qatar aren't awarded a World Cup

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

Not sure how realistic it is that we'd have been resting Rooney given we were still battling for the league title till the last day.

We also had 2 more ties to play including treble winners Inter... Not sure how you've arrived at the conclusion we had the trophy in the bag.
I cant remember exactly the games rooney missed but we would have beaten that inter side. They wouldn't have been able to deal with our pace and power. Fergie got the better of Jose the year before too.

Schneckerl

Italy vs Austria 1934 World Cup Semi Final, so there's a good chance my country ends up World Cup winners

Ixion

No Keane own goal against Real in 2000. I don't know if we had gone on to win but if we had won that one I think we'd have gone to the final and Fergie would have retained the CL.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Nani's red card by Cnut Catcher. Madrid were shaking in their boots till the so called ref did as instructed.

lex talionis

Porto were the eventual CL winner that season, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good spin job.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No Keane own goal against Real in 2000. I don't know if we had gone on to win but if we had won that one I think we'd have gone to the final and Fergie would have retained the CL.
We’d have lost to Bayern I think.