If you could pick one injury plagued player to replay their entire career completely injury free, for your team, who are you taking?

CallyRed

What could have been If Dion Dublin hadn't broken his leg so early in his career at United.

marktan

Luke Shaw. His play style was much more similar to Evra / Marcelo before that Ajax player snapped his leg in half.

Chelsea fans will probably be saying Reece James in 5 years time.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Probably Saha.

I would have loved how great Brazilian Ronaldo could have been without his injuries. He was already one of the greats but without the injuries I think he could have been the best ever.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ronaldo & van Basten are the obvious top-2 for me (and for almost everyone, I'd imagine). From the United greats Robson is the obvious choice and McGrath is another one — I think he would've cemented his place alongside Rio in United's All-Time XI if not for the injuries (and drinking).

The established XI (for some it's constant injuries, for others it's one career-defining one, but it's still a huge "what if?" question on top of an already amazing career):

Ronaldo - van Basten
Del Piero ------------------------ Robben
Robson - Schuster
Camacho* - McGrath - Sammer - Hargreaves*
Čech

Bench: Baggio, Fowler, Falcao, Torres, Owen, Thiago, Reus, Ballack, Redondo, Fabregas, Kaka, Cazorla...​

*I really struggled with fullbacks, any ideas? It has to be an established superstar.

The early promise XI (very United-centric):

Lentini - Pato - Fati
Wilshere - Diaby
Rodwell
Fabio - Jones - Bailly - Rafael
Adler
Suggestions are welcome!

Neither fully established superstars but a couple of thoughts for full-back. Eric Caldow was one of the best left-backs in Europe when he broke his leg against England at 28. Effectively finished his career. For right-back Rob Jones was really promising before injuries took their toll. Likely Neville doesn’t get much of an England career if things turn out differently.

Otherwise for the OP for Rangers, quite a few - Baxter, Durrant, Kuznetsov, Mols. Picking one probably Durrant given his young age when he broke his leg.

dhadz

Would love to see what Adriano could have achieved if it hasn’t been for his mental health and injuries

IRELANDUNITED

Not a Utd player, but I really rated Dean Ashton when he came through, looked like he was going to be a possible superstar, just got picked for England then a career ending injury.
Bloody hell, after all the shouts for Ronaldo9 and Paul McGrath you come up with Dean Ashton. Having said that, I do think Fergie would have looked at him back in the day.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
He probably wouldn't be a world star, but I always thought Abou Diaby had some real talent we never got to see.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Pick a front 3 of Ronaldo-Van Basten-Robben.

Keep them fit throughout the season.

Put 8 journeymen behind them and you’d probably be in a title race in any of the top 5 leagues in Europe, with a boxer’s chance of landing the big cup too.

mav_9me

Saha

there’s quite a few ex pros that talk him up as their most difficult opponent…either when playing at other clubs…or in training.

vida and Rio…and Gary have all said he was an absolute monster of a player. Strong. Quick. Great in the air. Finish with both feet.
This. Goddamm Fergie knew a striker when he saw one.

Ronaldo, Giggsy, Robben etc all still had great careers.

Saha for me could have been one of our best, but for the injuries. He had everything a striker needed. Everything.

That 2nd half of 05-06 and 06-07 is the best football I've seen us play. And as far as i remember Saha was instrumental the calendar year of 2006.

Ronaldo is the only right answer for this, so excluding him...

Not exactly an injury but Duncan Edwards, and it would be interesting to see how Phil Jones would have turned out.

I also remember the plaudits Norman Whiteside used to get before the injuries.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Ronaldo & van Basten are the obvious top-2 for me (and for almost everyone, I'd imagine). From the United greats Robson is the obvious choice and McGrath is another one — I think he would've cemented his place alongside Rio in United's All-Time XI if not for the injuries (and drinking).

The established XI (for some it's constant injuries, for others it's one career-defining one, but it's still a huge "what if?" question on top of an already amazing career):

Ronaldo - van Basten
Del Piero ------------------------ Robben
Robson - Schuster
Camacho* - McGrath - Sammer - Hargreaves*
Čech

Bench: Baggio, Fowler, Falcao, Torres, Owen, Thiago, Reus, Ballack, Redondo, Fabregas, Kaka, Cazorla...​

*I really struggled with fullbacks, any ideas? It has to be an established superstar.

The early promise XI (very United-centric):

Lentini - Pato - Fati
Wilshere - Diaby
Rodwell
Fabio - Jones - Bailly - Rafael
Adler
Suggestions are welcome!

Reece James might be the one in a few years. But hopefully his most recent OP turns out to be the solution to his problems.

fps

Ledley King
Came in to say. Still a phenomenal defender, don’t know how he did it, and seemed such a lovely humble man, deserved more.

At United, Phil Jones. Not least because he could have become a dominant centre back, at a time when we really needed one.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I interpreted it is an injury prone player who could come and play for your team, not one who necessarily did already.

Seems like I'm not the only one.
Same here :)

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Ronaldo, Van Basten, Dragan Stojkovic, Robert Prosinecki, Dejan Savicevic, Roberto Baggio are some of my favourite injury-prone/ruined players. For just one, i'd toss a coin between Ronaldo or Van Basten, and for a non-forward, i'd pick Stojkovic or Prosinecki.

lex talionis

If the question limits the answer to the team support -- as opposed to a player who may have played for another team or teams but you wish had playing "for your team" -- then I would say Phil Jones. Robbo and others had great careers though obviously ravaged by injuries at times, but Phil was a highly regarded young prospect who essentially lost his entire career to injuries.

But if the question is who among all players who were ravaged by injuries you wish you could bring in to your team, there's only one answer.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
R9 would be an easy choice, but bare in mind his ex-team mates said he was lazy at training, either on the pitch and was never seen at the gym. So, probably due to being more professional on the training I would say Paulo Futre.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Ronaldo, Van Basten, Dragan Stojkovic, Robert Prosinecki, Dejan Savicevic, Roberto Baggio are some of my favourite injury-prone/ruined players. For just one, i'd toss a coin between Ronaldo or Van Basten, and for a non-forward, i'd pick Stojkovic or Prosinecki.
Prosinecki and Savicevic weren't just injury-prone; they were also lazy and very inconsistent, even by 90s playmakers standards. When people say "this player looks much better on youtube than he really was", it's players like them they are looking at.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Prosinecki and Savicevic weren't just injury-prone; they were also lazy and very inconsistent, even by 90s playmakers standards. When people say "this player looks much better on youtube than he really was", it's players like them they are looking at.
I've seen them play in lots of full games (no need for youtube highlights) and don't entirely agree.

Prosinecki, yeah, he did become unfit and eventually inconsistent even by those standards, but only after a severe injury that took over a full season to get back on the field from and which badly eroded his physical capabilities. Maybe he'd have gone down that road anyway, however i'd like to see how he would have done without it, as he was extremely impressive and dynamic beforehand for Red Star.

savicevic consistency in terms of producing on the ball and getting involved was perfectly fine by top league 90s creative player levels, defensively probably about average/slightly below average. he didn't start to have more regular issues until his feud with Capello and the repeated injuries that had started by then. Even then he produced repeatedly when given his few chances and played himself into being a leading star player for a few seasons, but the injuries became too severe soon after.

90s players with a lot of creative/on the ball talent, but also very lazy and inconsistent by the standards of the era even before suffering notable injury troubles better fits as a description for players like Viktor Leonenko by about 95, Igor Korneev after cska, or Shalimov after his first season at Inter. Or someone like Javier Pastore to use a more recent player if compared to his own time (or the 90s tbh).

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Keane was equally as good if not better after his knee injury, it was that injury that made him stop drinking and fecking about and actually start looking after himself properly.
Nah. He lost a yard and stopped being the domineering box to box player he was before. He became a better player as he aged, but a fitter Roy would have been unquestionably up there with the best ever.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
There are so many obvious names mentioned that I would normally pick but I'm gonna go with a 'what if'... Ben Thornley.

We'll never know how good he could have been.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Neymar.

It's a shame that a player so talented had his legacy harmed by frequent injuries. Except for aerial game, he had everything you could ask from an attacking player. Probably not many will agree with me, but I think that, apart from Messi, he's the most talented footballer of the last 30 years.
Neymar is the most talented footballer I’ve ever seen, Ronaldinho with directness.

Injuries and attitude killed him.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He didn’t deserve his playing career to end the way it did with huge injury problems for years. He’d have gone on a few years if not for that pesky knee. Would have been nice for him to get a second CL too.

lex talionis

Imagine what a Wayne Rooney who actually took care of himself physically and mentally would have been capable of. He still had a great career of course, but it could have been so much greater.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
That's a fair shout, he always seemed to miss a quarter to a third of the season injured
Yep, first injuries took a toll on the amazing no.10/no.9 hybrid he was in his first season, and made him change a bit as a player. Then when he turned into more of a poacher injuries probably kept him away from multiple 30 league goal seasons considering his scoring rate