If you could rewrite history...

lon ball2

I would have had David Gill stay on after Fergie left and had Klopp installed as manager, with Woodward staying underneath doing his amazing brand-building.

I genuinely believe that, in the long term effect it’s had on the club, Gill was a bigger loss than Fergie.
Not sure about n the timeline but I think we approached klopp - he chose to honour his contract at Dortmund out of loyalty. Was it the season after they nearly got relegated? If so I think turning us down really good twisted him and it’s why he jumped at Liverpool

Raoul

Admin
Staff
- Robben when we were originally interested in him circa 2004ish
- Bale before Spurs got him
- Lewandowski the year he moved from Poznan to Dortmund
- Ibra when he left Italy
- Joao Felix this summer

Cockney Phil

I still think we were stupid to let Tommy Doc go before the job of rebuilding was finished.

If the Doc had to go we then should have replaced him with Brian Clough.

Get rid of the Doc was bad but Sexton was a disaster.

Jericholyte2

Sign every single major star in the last 20yrs the year before they moved and became stars!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you could rewrite history and sign replacements for our key players who have left or retired over the year who would you have signed?

I think we all wish Van Der Sar was signed as Schmeichel's first replacement.

Personally, I think Daniele De Rossi may have been the closest replacement for Roy Keane available.

When we sold Ronaldo to Madrid they sold Robben to Bayern for €25m the same summer. They also sold Sneijder that summer for €15m. I'd have much rather had £50m for Ronaldo plus Robben and Sneijder.
Those comparative figures are a great rebuke to those people who think Ronaldo went too cheaply, even thought it was a massive world record.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Makelele and Naybet in summer 2000 instead of Veron and Blanc in summer 2001.

(Edit): and obviously a proper keeper in 1999 or 2000.
Naybet had one foot in the door in August 1999 only for the board to nix a move citing fears over his fitness (knee, think it was). They ultimately panic-signed Silvestre two weeks later, who turned out to be a good servant but was clearly not ready to step into a starting role for United. I'm surprised SAF didn't make a move for Thuram between 1999 and 2001, or perhaps he did only for the player not desiring a move to England.

They also signed Bosnich that summer thanks to Edwards. Should have went for Toldo or van der Sar.
Rewriting history would perhaps see something like this:
July - van der Sar
August - Fortune and Naybet
September - Silvestre (for depth/future with Brown, Johnsen, May out for months)
Which means Bosnich and Taibi are nowhere near Manchester.

Or 1999 remains as is but the club signs Rio in summer 2000 window when the need for a top class defender was apparent.

0le

I would rewrite the 99 season to occur at an age where I would remember it better - same outcome, same drama, just me being able to remember it better! I would also like to beat Portsmouth and win another treble in 08.

Baneofthegame

- Signing Zidane instead of Poborsky.

- Signing VDS

- Signing Ronaldinho

There’s so many you could list, Aguero/Silva, were two massive ones.

RedCurry

We should have put a retainer on Pep the day he left Barcelona. Like pay him a salary and get him on a contract to succeed SAF whenever he retired. SAF wasn’t going to manage us forever, and Pep was a no brainer.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We should have put a retainer on Pep the day he left Barcelona. Like pay him a salary and get him on a contract to succeed SAF whenever he retired. SAF wasn’t going to manage us forever, and Pep was a no brainer.

Pep would have clashed with Ed and the Glazers since day 1.

He has total freedom at City with two trusted allies/old friends at his side (Begiristain, Soriano).

RedCurry

Pep would have clashed with Ed and the Glazers since day 1.

He has total freedom at City with two trusted allies/old friends at his side (Begiristain, Soriano).
Our managers since SAF have spent same money as City. We broke world record once, British transfer record twice and most expensive defender record once just in last few years.

If Pep had it all his way, City would have had Sanchez, Fred and Maguire playing for them. The difference is that he chooses to not make it a public issue like Jose if he can’t have it all.

ROFLUTION

Not exactly what the OP asks, but boy if Glazers hadnt taken over we would be able to spend the same amount as City and be dominating by now

Green_Red

Without a doubt, Essien for Keane. Ultimately it made little difference because we dominated anyway.
Would have signed Tevez.
Wouldnt have played Giggs in the final after the super injuction was made public.
Wouldnt have tried to match that Barca team for football, would have done an 08 semi final on them.
Wouldnt have let Cantona retire.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
It will take a ridiculously long post to explain why Pochettino has showed more tactical adaptations and the in game management ability to alter the flow of the game when things are going bad. I will just refer you to this brilliant video that explained how Pochettino has transformed Spurs and why he is so superior in those regard you mentioned. For the first aspect of tactical adaptation, the 2016/2017 season is a great use case that presents poch ability. It is explained in the video how he altered his formation throughout that season to accumulate an impressive point tally and Spurs best season ever. Xg, had him level on point with the league leaders then. His in game management is one of it not the best in football today. We saw it multiple times last season in the champions league and this season already against Aston villa and Manchester City.

All of this accomplished with a spending significantly less than any of his top six rivals. Pochettino developer his players and has showed more ability to emulate Sir Alex success at United than any other managers out there. All he needs is a club that will back him with resources much greater than what he is giving at Spurs.
Thanks for the link and reply. Will watch the video.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Signing Hazard and a top CM in Summer 2012 instead of Van Persie and Kagawa. Fernandinho, perhaps.

Edit: Just remembered that Luka Modric went that summer. Hmm.
Kagawa was actually class. Just that Moyes came in and ruined SAF plan of moving Rooney on and playing a more beautiful style. Got to remember, Kagawa was the style of player SAF realised United needed after seeing Barca destroy us.

I honestly think. If David Silva had not gone to City and joined us two years later he’d be considered a flop at United. You’d have pundits talking about “he’s not a united player” “pace pace pace “ and Moyes playing him as an out an out winger to accommodate Rooney

minh_loc_xoay

feck off with that shit.

I dont want my club associated with anything to do with the middle east. I'd rather have our current owners than be aligned with murderers irrespective of how they run the club.
As fans, shouldn't we want the most success for our club? Our club is being run to the ground because of our management board being incompetent, and you don't want to prevent that? :nervous:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No Moyes. Should have gone with a proven, serial winner. Could have at least won the league one more time with that squad.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Rewrite history -

The biggest mistake the Club and Ferguson made was not planning.

Gill and Ferguson leaving at the same time was criminal.
Ferguson not having someone at his side for a couple of years to step in when he retired was criminal.

The consequence of that period of time is obvious for the last few years

TRUERED89

SAF strengthens the squad before stepping down with a young Verratti and Thiago Silva snatching them from the claws of PSG. SAF goes hell bent to get Poch as his replacement. Poch takes over and signs Özil.
Poch was a non entity in 2013, but this thread is all hypotheticals so... Signed Messi before Barca realised he was going to be the GOAT!

TRUERED89

I would rewrite the 99 season to occur at an age where I would remember it better - same outcome, same drama, just me being able to remember it better! I would also like to beat Portsmouth and win another treble in 08.
Denied the most blatant penalty in the history of football in that game

minh_loc_xoay

Yep, im going to put the success of a fecking football club above the lives of innocent people.. what the actual feck.
It's not like the Arabs owning Manchester United would put more people's lives in danger, you know?
That would actually tame their actions somewhat, since then they have an "image" they don't want to tarnish.

sparx99

Yep, im going to put the success of a fecking football club above the lives of innocent people.. what the actual feck.
I mean the USA has killed over 20 million people since the end of WW2 in various wars while overthrowing Governments, meddling in Elections and generally showing a disdain for human life that isn’t American.

Obviously the Glazers aren’t part of that government machine but neither are some of the various crown Princes.

Not to mention that the racist justice system in the US which has made black and Latino de facto slaves.

Josh 76

- Robben when we were originally interested in him circa 2004ish
- Bale before Spurs got him
- Lewandowski the year he moved from Poznan to Dortmund
- Ibra when he left Italy
- Joao Felix this summer
I don't think Fergie ever forgave Robben for choosing Chelsea over Utd in 2004 (more money). So was never going to buy him in 2009 (part of the Ronaldo deal).

Withnail

I mean the USA has killed over 20 million people since the end of WW2 in various wars while overthrowing Governments, meddling in Elections and generally showing a disdain for human life that isn’t American.

Obviously the Glazers aren’t part of that government machine but neither are some of the various crown Princes.

Not to mention that the racist justice system in the US which has made black and Latino de facto slaves.
City"s owner is the deputy prime minister and it's the regime's sovereign wealth that's funding the club.

Last edited:

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Would have bought Kaka, Seedorf and Aguero. Top top players that would have added a few more CL’s to our trophy cabinet.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Pogba didn't rot. He was a teenager who had to wait his turn. He was young but had an agent chirping in his ear. In his first year at Juve he got just as many games as he would have at United if he stuck around. I was 100% behind SAF for letting him go and against bringing him back
Nah, he was never getting a game under Fergie. Admittedly Fergie did leave shortly after but I very much doubt Moyes would have picked him ahead of more experienced players either.

Withnail

Fergie play his best team in the semi versus Everton in 2009. We could have won a domestic treble very easily.
If you could rewrite history and sign replacements for our key players who have left or retired over the year who would you have signed?

I think we all wish Van Der Sar was signed as Schmeichel's first replacement.

Personally, I think Daniele De Rossi may have been the closest replacement for Roy Keane available.

When we sold Ronaldo to Madrid they sold Robben to Bayern for €25m the same summer. They also sold Sneijder that summer for €15m. I'd have much rather had £50m for Ronaldo plus Robben and Sneijder.

I've always wondered if we even tried to get Sneijder as part of the deal. It really seemed like a no brainer at the time.

Lentwood

Ribery, Robben and Hazard all seemed to be 'proper' United-style players that we flirted with but ultimately came up short on, during the 'no value in the market years'

I'm sure most 30+ Utd fans also remember when we dallied over a couple of million on the Ronaldinho signing and he slipped through our fingers....that would have been unreal

More recently, I think it's crazy we didn't go all out for Van Dijk, at the time we we're above Liverpool in the table and it was pre-Jose meltdown so with the offer of bigger wages on the table I really think we could have turned him