If you like football and don't like Cristiano Ronaldo you have a hole in your soul

WeasteDevil

VanNistlerater said:
Who would disagree with this statement from yesterdays Observor?
Read it yesterday, agree with it totally.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
VanNistlerater said:
Bastard! Was just going to do that, never mind, think im running out of space anyway.

You still got the quote wrong though :p
I did it after posting on this thread for the first time.

JJ_Batchelor

Can the same be said of Thierry Henry?

Henry is a good player but does he excite you like Crisitano?

Who would you rather pay to watch? ;)

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
JJ_Batchelor said:

Better question is what I discussed with my mate on Saturday - if you were a fullback, who'd you rather play against: Beckham or Ronaldo...?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
An Extremely Boring Man said:
Better question is what I discussed with my mate on Saturday - if you were a fullback, who'd you rather play against: Beckham or Ronaldo...?
Obvious, defenders have a harder time defending against runners, Ron every time.

JJ_Batchelor

An Extremely Boring Man said:
This one's a no brainer....I would feign injury and declare myself unfit. :p

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
JJ_Batchelor said:

Without doubt Henry is a more polished footballer.....more years.
But even now Cristiano is so exciting to watch..more so than Henry.

In a year or so Cristiano will be among the best the game has ever seen... I said this when I first saw the young man play...I'm certain of it...and not just because of the Millwall game either.

He was not given the credit by the media which accused him of diving when he was hacked down at every game.

Just wait till next season. SAF will be building the team around this lad.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
This craze over Ronaldo is ridiculous and overblown, as it is with every Man Utd player. He's done well in his last 10-15 games culminating in a great show against the mighty Millwall, and all of a sudden he's the greatest player that's ever lived.
In the Man Utd forum there was a ludicrous article from some idiot called Martin Samuel who claimed, and get this:
Zinedine Zidane and Thierry Henry aside it is hard to think of a contemporary so capable of mesmerising a crowd.
:lol: > that's how funny this fuss over Ronaldo is, that forces ME to use these silly smilies just to convey how amused I am by the hyperbole spewing out about this chap.

Less than half a season of decent performances and he's destined for greatness? Please.

Sir A1ex

Redeus - what a strange post to pick as an example. :confused:

I would agree that comments along the lines of "In a year or two he will be the undisputed best footballer in the world" are a tad premature.
But to class him as one of the most mesmerising players around? Seems pretty reasonable... You name a bunch of players who are more mesmerising atm...

Re_Deus

Little Englander
He's not even the most 'mesmerising' Portguese player around. Figo and Rui Costa have been doing it for years. What about the Brazillians? There's probably loads in the Brazillian league doing what Ronaldo does yet we never hear about them (Diego and Robinho, for example). The same goes for Argentine players. Ronaldo, Rivaldo (when he's fit), Ronaldinho all are tremendous at exciting the crowd. What does Ronaldo have that Duff or Pires, or even Harry Kewell on a good day don't have? Hell, you could even put Giggs into that list, another one who's consitently(ish) done it for years. Schevchenko, Totti, Kaka, Del Piero, from Italy, and a host of talented Dutch players such as Van der Vaart, Wesley Snieder and Robben hardly compare unfavourably with Ronaldo.

There's probably dozens, literally dozens more around the various leagues in Europe and the world that 'mesmerise' football audiences. Just because they don't have a venue like Old Trafford or Highbury to show off their talents doesn't mean they should be ignored, as Samuel so brazenly and stupidly has done.

Spoony

Re_Deus said:
He's not even the most 'mesmerising' Portguese player around. Figo and Rui Costa have been doing it for years. What about the Brazillians? There's probably loads in the Brazillian league doing what Ronaldo does yet we never hear about them (Diego and Robinho, for example). The same goes for Argentine players. Ronaldo, Rivaldo (when he's fit), Ronaldinho all are tremendous at exciting the crowd. What does Ronaldo have that Duff or Pires, or even Harry Kewell on a good day don't have? Hell, you could even put Giggs into that list, another one who's consitently(ish) done it for years. Schevchenko, Totti, Kaka, Del Piero, from Italy, and a host of talented Dutch players such as Van der Vaart, Wesley Snieder and Robben hardly compare unfavourably with Ronaldo.

There's probably dozens, literally dozens more around the various leagues in Europe and the world that 'mesmerise' football audiences. Just because they don't have a venue like Old Trafford or Highbury to show off their talents doesn't mean they should be ignored, as Samuel so brazenly and stupidly has done.

Bitter, Little Ingurlander.

I love it. :)

An Extremely Boring Man

Retired 39,9999 not out
Re_Deus said:

:lol:

Sir A1ex

Re_Deus said:
What does Ronaldo have that Duff or Pires, or even Harry Kewell on a good day don't have? Hell, you could even put Giggs into that list, another one who's consitently(ish) done it for years.
Seriously - you'd almost rate Giggs in amongst the ranks of untouchable London based players Duff and Pires, and the legendary world beater Kewell? :eek:
Your genorosity and impartiality towards our players knows no bounds - you're practically becoming a united fan these days you soft old git :lol:

spinoza

Paz's ion
Re_Deus said:
He's not even the most 'mesmerising' Portguese player around. Figo and Rui Costa have been doing it for years.
No they haven't.

Re_Deus said:
What about the Brazillians? There's probably loads in the Brazillian league doing what Ronaldo does yet we never hear about them (Diego and Robinho, for example).
Robinho is famous for once doing seven stepovers before leaving the defender on his arse - something that Ronaldo will likely do before his career in England is over.

Remember that Robinho is regarded as the best talent to come out of Brazil in a generation.

Re_Deus said:
The same goes for Argentine players. Ronaldo, Rivaldo (when he's fit), Ronaldinho all are tremendous at exciting the crowd.
Are they from Argentina?

Re_Deus said:
What does Ronaldo have that Duff or Pires, or even Harry Kewell on a good day don't have?
Incredible close ball control - he of all United players bears comparison to George Best in that respect.

Re_Deus said:
Hell, you could even put Giggs into that list, another one who's consitently(ish) done it for years. Schevchenko, Totti, Kaka, Del Piero, from Italy, and a host of talented Dutch players such as Van der Vaart, Wesley Snieder and Robben hardly compare unfavourably with Ronaldo.
Read once more - incredible close ball control

NONE of the players on your list have that like Ronaldo does

Re_Deus said:
Let's see you name your 'dozens'

You need at least 24 names by the by

The article is probably exaggerating, but then so are you

That makes you equally stupid doesn't it?

afanofManutd

Idiot
Re_Deus said:

Phew, keep adding more players into the list: Heskey, Forlan, Fowler... bla bla bla please. I dont care anymore.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Good player and I enjoy watching him play but that means I have to like him :confused:

Noy yo Fdart

VanNistlerater said:
Who would disagree with this statement from yesterdays Observor?
I do. Plenty of old fogeys like me appreciate players in Keane-Vieira-Gerrard mode more than a bunch of crossovers. And Ronaldo has a terrible haircut. His head needs to be shaved.

beergod

JazzG said:
Good player and I enjoy watching him play but that means I have to like him :confused:
I would change it to "If you like football and don't like watching Cristiano Ronaldo play, you have a hole in your soul"

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Spinoza, you're a blind, deluded fool. EVERY player I mentioned has great close control. Just because they don't waste their time trying step overs that don't fool defenders or fancy tricks that add nothing to the productivity of the team but act as eye conday for the crowd, doesn't mean they lack something of importance in comparasion with Ronaldo.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
oh the bitterness.... :lol: fact is..he is great to watch..and one of the great talents around... at his best hes one of the best players to watch...thats what the guys said..can you really argue with it.. hes not saying hes the best...noones saying that... all ppl are saying is that ronaldo is one of most talented kids in world football and that right now hes one of the most entertaining....thats all....

Re_Deus said:
What does Ronaldo have that Duff or Pires, or even Harry Kewell on a good day don't have? Hell, you could even put Giggs into that list, another one who's consitently(ish) done it for years.

first of all... i love the way you say - 'hell even ryan giggs can be put into that list'... so basically you rate all of those above ryan giggs.. :lol: bitter and clueless.

then you talk abt there probabily being dozen other players in the other leagues doing what he does... well here we have the english league..and i cant think of any other young talent like him doing the things hes doing... so if you do know of any in the other leagues please inform me sometime

neno

spinoza said:
No they haven't.

Robinho is famous for once doing seven stepovers before leaving the defender on his arse - something that Ronaldo will likely do before his career in England is over.

Remember that Robinho is regarded as the best talent to come out of Brazil in a generation.

Are they from Argentina?

Incredible close ball control - he of all United players bears comparison to George Best in that respect.

Read once more - incredible close ball control

NONE of the players on your list have that like Ronaldo does

Let's see you name your 'dozens'

You need at least 24 names by the by

The article is probably exaggerating, but then so are you

That makes you equally stupid doesn't it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:nono: ronaldinho and diego are a lot better than robinho. dont judge a player just because of one trick. everyone in brazil regards diego as the real gem from santos.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree with Redeus.

Ronaldo is a useless flash harry like Best before him. We need more players like Dennis Wise.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
JazzG said:
ok..forget the liking him part... but surely there are very few players in the premiership this season who have entertained and mesmerised the crowds like him...??

see were not talking abt whose had the better season..who is the better player.... pires has had a better season than ronaldo.... but in the second half of the season...ronaldo has put out some amazing performances... hes shown his ability to influence a game like very few others... and keep the crowd thrilled... its basically like there have been a couple of games where it has been like a ronaldo show... that can be said abt very few players in the prem this seaosn...i can think of only henry and gerrard...

WeasteDevil

Re_Deus said:
Spinoza, you're a blind, deluded fool. EVERY player I mentioned has great close control. Just because they don't waste their time trying step overs that don't fool defenders or fancy tricks that add nothing to the productivity of the team but act as eye conday for the crowd, doesn't mean they lack something of importance in comparasion with Ronaldo.
You cannot but laugh at you, you're such a wanker it almost beggers belief.

WeasteDevil

JazzG said:
You are missing the point, it's not a personal thing, it means do you "like" watching him, do you "like" his football?

Same as do we "like" Henry. Of course we do, he's class.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Wibble said:
I agree with Redeus.

Ronaldo is a useless flash harry like Best before him. We need more players like Dennis Wise.
Now you're comparing this less-than-half-a-season wonder to George Best? Good Lord, talk about over-killing the hype surrounding this kid.
It's quite funny 'cos I remember how many of you Mancs were slating the press for what you felt was Wayne Rooney being overhyped, yet here you are, and the press once more, doing exactly the same with Ronaldo...

spinoza

Paz's ion
Re_Deus said:
Nah. The stepovers fool plenty of people.

Where's your two dozen names then?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Re_Deus said:
Now you're comparing this less-than-half-a-season wonder to George Best? Good Lord, talk about over-killing the hype surrounding this kid.
It's quite funny 'cos I remember how many of you Mancs were slating the press for what you felt was Wayne Rooney being overhyped, yet here you are, and the press once more, doing exactly the same with Ronaldo...
I am comparing them in that they are/were both young, audacioulsy talented youngsters with huge potential in Uniteds 1st team.

George Best went on to be one of the greatest footballing talents we have ever seen despite wasting a large proportion of his talent. We will have to wait and see with Ronaldo. The jury may be out but it looks pretty good to me.

And Wayne Rooney is a talent and overhyped at the same time. Some of the press reports of Ronaldo on Saturday were also a little OTT. So what?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Re_Deus said:
Less than half a season of decent performances and he's destined for greatness? Please.
You could say that same about Gerrard. :smirk:

Lil Cee

Re_Deus said:
the great man himself said that Ronaldo was truly the only player to deserve the comparison to him, even more so than Giggs. i think George Best would know more than anyone else who should be compared to George Best