If you took over tomorrow, how would you line up?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Instructions

Pretty simple, if you took over as manager tomorrow, how would you line up once you had everyone back fully fit? Try and explain your system and rationale.

The temptation for many will be to come in and bash other people’s line ups and tell them why they wouldn’t work, but for the purposes of this thread I encourage only constructive posts with a line up and explanation. More than anything, I am interested in seeing where ideas overlap, and where new innovative thinking is present.

Preferably, I’d ask you to post basic player instructions too.

My Analysis

It seems to me that most of our problems stem from the midfield. It is obvious that there is a gigantic gap between the defence and the midfield, either because the midfielders are pushing up too high, or the defenders are sitting too deep. As I see it, the midfield has three primary roles (1) To protect and screen the defence, closing down channels and breaking up play, (2) To control the rhythm and tempo of the game, & (3) To progess the ball through transitions, carving out opportunities for attacking play. How one goes about this, whether it's by sitting deep and rapidly counter attacking, or pressing high and cycling possession and probing for openings, is a stylistic rather than functional pursuit; and most likely determined by (a) personal preference, and (b) the players at your disposal.

So when I am putting a team together, I am looking for midfield players who are competent in all aspects of this trifecta because I want my team to function as a unit. Defending as a collective and attacking as a collective.

Stylistic Approach

I am not a fan of suicidally high lines, nor am I a fan of sitting deep and parking the bus. I go for a moderately high defensive line, and keep the team compact by pressing fairly high up the pitch, but not all the way through to the goalkeeper because with the players we have, I think it leaves the whole unit far too spread out. Once the opposition crosses a certain line of engagement, then I like hard pressing, a compact unit, and when we win the ball back, my preference is to cycle possession looking for openings. In the eventuality of a counter press situation where we win the ball back and can create a fast break-away or overload, then I would instruct my team to go more direct. However, as a general rule of thumb, I would discourage too much direct passing, as it often just results in a rapid loss of possession.

Because of this, I favour players who are both positionally intelligent, and have a high work rate, however, the most important attribute I look for in a player is technical and tactical ability, especially with regards to passing and decision making. I think that for our team to work, we have to have at least one or two players who can completely disrupt the opposition tactical plan, by either (a) beating a man regularly (potentially Rashford or Garnacho), or (b) passing through the lines and cutting opposition players out of the game (Eriksen). Eriksen has deficiencies in some areas (like his physicality) but he is a player I greatly appreciate because of his ability to pass through the lines and create attacking opportunities.

My Line Up

Goalkeeper: Altay Bayindir. I'll admit that I know next to nothing about him. I am picking him in my first game simply because he's not Andre Onana. While I appreciate Onan's ability with his feet, his decision making and general shot stopping skills are really, really erratic, and I just can't have that in a goalkeeper. So Bayindir gets his chance.

Right Back: Lisandro Martinez. Yes I said it, Lisandro Martinez at right back. Why? Because I want my right back cutting inside and playing through midfield. Linking up into defensive/central midfield, and even creating underlapping situations further forwards when the opportunity presents. I think this works better when the player cutting in, is cutting in onto his stronger foot. Martinez makes any team I put out because of his competitive instincts, and from a technical standpoint he is the best passer from the back that we have. Stepping into midfield so much suits his aggressive game. He will also shift across at times, as we morph to a three man defence.

Left Back: Luke Shaw. Pretty easy one. I'd want him bombing down the left creating overlap opportunities for the LW. Likewise, he has the ability to shift over into a three man defence when Martinez is further forward.

Center-back: Rafa Varane. Despite his recent unpopularity, he is still our best defender, and he provides the aerial presence, reading of the game, and pace to play the sort of defensive line that I want to.

Center-back: Harry Maguire. Give the man some credit. Strength of character to fight his way back into the team, and he has been excellent of late. Varane provides him the recovery pace, which enables us to get the best out of Harry. His aerial dominance, his physicality, and his passing out from the back.

Anchor: Casemiro. Personally, I have to play with a positionally disciplined anchor, His role is to win the ball back, and intelligently recycle possession until the team is back in control of the ball. I don't want him venturing forward much, if at all, and I want him strong - physically and mentally - and able to drop into the defence to cover for errant center halves. His is a screening role, and his game should be focused around short passing and intelligent positioning. All of which I feel are Casemiro's strengths.

Deep CM Playmaker: Kobbie Mainoo. I said before that I prioritise technically gifted players, and I singled out Eriksen - who is very hard for me to leave out of this team. This position was a straight shoot-out between Eriksen and Mainoo, and the youngster won out because of his superior physicality, stamina, and pace. Like Eriksen, with Mainoo it is his spatial awareness, his tidyness and insightfulness with the ball that attracts me to his selection. This role in my team has slightly more defensive responsibility than the third midfielder, in that he will often drop into a double pivot with Casemiro. However, it is important to remember that I want the unit playing close to each other and moving up and down the field as a unit, so he''ll be just as close to the third midfielder as he is to Casemiro.

Advanced CM Playmaker: Mason Mount. Whhhhaaaattttttt? I hear you say..... But Mason is made for this role. He is a hardworking midfielder who doesn't have the positional awareness to play the deeper of the playmaking roles, but in a slightly more advanced position gives you most things you need. Great teamwork, enthusiastic pressing, he's a good passer of the ball, and he's press resistant. He also has was the Spanish call "llegada". He "arrives" in goalscoring positions.

Right Forward: Bruno Fernandes. People might think this is a waste. But putting Bruno out on the right gives me several things in my team. Firstly, you get what you always get with Bruno, a tremendous work rate. You also get a right footer on the right side, which enables us to swing deliveries into the box from wide positions. I see him playing the role more in the mold of a Beckham than I do a Kanchelskis. He's not skinning anyone on the outside, but he is playmaking from out wide, working his socks off, switching play, getting into goalscoring and goal creating positions, and swinging genuine crosses into the box. By virtue of being right footed, and leaning more towards going on the outside (something I want to happen to create more width and stretch the play), he leaves space for the left footed Martinez to cut inside.

Left Forward: Marcus Rashford. Mr Popular. A polemic figure, even by United standards. But he's the only true genuine top class forward we have. He only player really capable of lighting it up on a regular basis and being a virtuoso performer. He's having a stinker of a season granted - but lord knows what is happening behind the scenes. All I remember is that he carried us on our backs last season and was fecking brilliant. I would instruct him to go inside and go at them, looking for overlapping runs from Shaw.

Center-Forward: Rasmus Hojlund. He's hardly hit the ground running, but with a functioning unit behind him, I think he will come good. He has all the attributes. Technically good. Strong, quick, powerful runner. Tremendous work rate. I believe he would thrive on the service from Bruno out wide.

Well, that's my team. I think it would be hard to beat. Five of that front six (Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Hojlund) are all very hard workers in terms of their pressing, or hard to get past. I think that out of the gate this makes us a very hard team to beat. Which is important. It's also a team that has a ton of technical ability. The unorthordox placement of Martinez on the right, is admittedly controversial; but it is something I would try. Martinez has to make the line up because of his multiplying effect on those around him. Ideally I'd play him as an inverted left back, but Shaw is too good to leave out, so I have moved him to the right. Martinez has operated in DM before, and I don't think he'd have any issue playing as a hybrid full-back/defensive midfielder. From a technical perspective, his passing is excellent. Plus, defensively, he is as hard as nails. The closest thing we have to a Keane like character, and I think that's a big boost to all around him. A right side of Martinez and Bruno is extremely competitive and determined, if not a little weird looking on paper.

My key substitutes would be: 1. Lindelof (I see him able to play Martinez's role, or as cover at CB) 2. Dalot (Able to play either full back role) 3. Eriksen (The man I didn't want to leave out, and the first player I would bring on if I felt we weren't keeping the ball well, or were struggling to play through the opposition). 4. Garnacho (I still think he's better as an impact sub. His decision making is dreadful on the whole, but he has oodles of technical quality, a good work rate, and is especially dangerous against tired legs). 5. McTominay (He's the sort of squad player every squad needs. Willing runner, has decent "llegada". Technically limited, and tactically stunted, but the sort of player you turn to when you need to win ugly. 6. Antony (Has his qualities, in that he's very press resistant, he's good at keeping possession, and he's a very hard worker. He has absolutely no end product though, and so not a player I would bring on if I was chasing games. More a player I would bring on to replace tried legs and see a game out).

Amad and Hannibal are interesting because of their age profiles and potential, so would get some minutes when the rotation allows. The rest of the squad is much of a muchness.

I am aware there are some controversial prospects here; but this is what I would go with if my job was on the line. If I was accountable for results and decisions. Would I stay playing that way if it didn't work? No, of course not. I would make adjustments. Would I have to move Bruno more centrally? Maybe. Would I have to pick a more traditional right back? Perhaps. Or even put a right footed CB at right back, like Lindelof? It's very possible. But when I look at the way the game is played today, how I would want my team to play, and more intangible factors like personality and character - elements which make us really hard to play against - then this is the line-up and set up I come up with. Even if it does require seeing players in positions we aren't use to seeing them in. At the end of the day it is all about the collective, not individuals. I don't care, for instance, if Bruno's numbers go down as a result of him playing on the right (I don't think they would in this system), as long as the team's numbers go up.

So what would you do if you were made manager tomorrow?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Instructions

Pretty simple, if you took over as manager tomorrow, how would you line up once you had everyone back fully fit? Try and explain your system and rationale.

The temptation for many will be to come in and bash other people’s line ups and tell them why they wouldn’t work, but for the purposes of this thread I encourage only constructive posts with a line up and explanation. More than anything, I am interested in seeing where ideas overlap, and where new innovative thinking is present.

My Analysis

It seems to me that most of our problems stem from the midfield. It is obvious that there is a gigantic gap between the defence and the midfield, either because the midfielders are pushing up too high, or the defenders are sitting too deep. As I see it, the midfield has three primary roles (1) To protect and screen the defence, closing down channels and breaking up play, (2) To control the rhythm and tempo of the game, & (3) To progess the ball through transitions, carving out opportunities for attacking play. How one goes about this, whether it's by sitting deep and rapidly counter attacking, or pressing high and cycling possession and probing for openings, is a stylistic rather than functional pursuit; and most likely determined by (a) personal preference, and (b) the players at your disposal.

So when I am putting a team together, I am looking for midfield players who are competent in all aspects of this trifecta because I want my team to function as a unit. Defending as a collective and attacking as a collective.

Stylistic Approach

I am not a fan of suicidally high lines, nor am I a fan of sitting deep and parking the bus. I go for a moderately high defensive line, and keep the team compact by pressing fairly high up the pitch, but not all the way through to the goalkeeper because with the players we have, I think it leaves the whole unit far too spread out. Once the opposition crosses a certain line of engagement, then I like hard pressing, a compact unit, and when we win the ball back, my preference is to cycle possession looking for openings. In the eventuality of a counter press situation where we win the ball back and can create a fast break-away or overload, then I would instruct my team to go more direct. However, as a general rule of thumb, I would discourage too much direct passing, as it often just results in a rapid loss of possession.

Because of this, I favour players who are both positionally intelligent, and have a high work rate, however, the most important attribute I look for in a player is technical and tactical ability, especially with regards to passing and decision making. I think that for our team to work, we have to have at least one or two players who can completely disrupt the opposition tactical plan, by either (a) beating a man regularly (potentially Rashford or Garnacho), or (b) passing through the lines and cutting opposition players out of the game (Eriksen). Eriksen has deficiencies in some areas (like his physicality) but he is a player I greatly appreciate because of his ability to pass through the lines and create attacking opportunities.

My Line Up

Goalkeeper: Altay Bayindir. I'll admit that I know next to nothing about him. I am picking him in my first game simply because he's not Andre Onana. While I appreciate Onan's ability with his feet, his decision making and general shot stopping skills are really, really erratic, and I just can't have that in a goalkeeper. So Bayindir gets his chance.

Right Back: Lisandro Martinez. Yes I said it, Lisandro Martinez at right back. Why? Because I want my right back cutting inside and playing through midfield. Linking up into defensive/central midfield, and even creating underlapping situations further forwards when the opportunity presents. I think this works better when the player cutting in, is cutting in onto his stronger foot. Martinez makes any team I put out because of his competitive instincts, and from a technical standpoint he is the best passer from the back that we have. Stepping into midfield so much suits his aggressive game. He will also shift across at times, as we morph to a three man defence.

Left Back: Luke Shaw. Pretty easy one. I'd want him bombing down the left creating overlap opportunities for the LW. Likewise, he has the ability to shift over into a three man defence when Martinez is further forward.

Center-back: Rafa Varane. Despite his recent unpopularity, he is still our best defender, and he provides the aerial presence, reading of the game, and pace to play the sort of defensive line that I want to.

Center-back: Harry Maguire. Give the man some credit. Strength of character to fight his way back into the team, and he has been excellent of late. Varane provides him the recovery pace, which enables us to get the best out of Harry. His aerial dominance, his physicality, and his passing out from the back.

Anchor: Casemiro. Personally, I have to play with a positionally disciplined anchor, His role is to win the ball back, and intelligently recycle possession until the team is back in control of the ball. I don't want him venturing forward much, if at all, and I want him strong - physically and mentally - and able to drop into the defence to cover for errant center halves. His is a screening role, and his game should be focused around short passing and intelligent positioning. All of which I feel are Casemiro's strengths.

Deep CM Playmaker: Kobbie Mainoo. I said before that I prioritise technically gifted players, and I singled out Eriksen - who is very hard for me to leave out of this team. This position was a straight shoot-out between Eriksen and Mainoo, and the youngster won out because of his superior physicality, stamina, and pace. Like Eriksen, with Mainoo it is his spatial awareness, his tidyness and insightfulness with the ball that attracts me to his selection. This role in my team has slightly more defensive responsibility than the third midfielder, in that he will often drop into a double pivot with Casemiro. However, it is important to remember that I want the unit playing close to each other and moving up and down the field as a unit, so he''ll be just as close to the third midfielder as he is to Casemiro.

Advanced CM Playmaker: Mason Mount. Whhhhaaaattttttt? I hear you say..... But Mason is made for this role. He is a hardworking midfielder who doesn't have the positional awareness to play the deeper of the playmaking roles, but in a slightly more advanced position gives you most things you need. Great teamwork, enthusiastic pressing, he's a good passer of the ball, and he's press resistant. He also has was the Spanish call "llegada". He "arrives" in goalscoring positions.

Right Forward: Bruno Fernandes. People might think this is a waste. But putting Bruno out on the right gives me several things in my team. Firstly, you get what you always get with Bruno, a tremendous work rate. You also get a right footer on the right side, which enables us to swing deliveries into the box from wide positions. I see him playing the role more in the mold of a Beckham than I do a Kanchelskis. He's not skinning anyone on the outside, but he is playmaking from out wide, working his socks off, switching play, getting into goalscoring and goal creating positions, and swinging genuine crosses into the box. By virtue of being right footed, and leaning more towards going on the outside (something I want to happen to create more width and stretch the play), he leaves space for the left footed Martinez to cut inside.

Left Forward: Marcus Rashford. Mr Popular. A polemic figure, even by United standards. But he's the only true genuine top class forward we have. He only player really capable of lighting it up on a regular basis and being a virtuoso performer. He's having a stinker of a season granted - but lord knows what is happening behind the scenes. All I remember is that he carried us on our backs last season and was fecking brilliant. I would instruct him to go inside and go at them, looking for overlapping runs from Shaw.

Center-Forward: Rasmus Hojlund. He's hardly hit the ground running, but with a functioning unit behind him, I think he will come good. He has all the attributes. Technically good. Strong, quick, powerful runner. Tremendous work rate. I believe he would thrive on the service from Bruno out wide.

Well, that's my team. I think it would be hard to beat. Five of that front six (Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Hojlund) are all very hard workers in terms of their pressing, or hard to get past. I think that out of the gate this makes us a very hard team to beat. Which is important. It's also a team that has a ton of technical ability. The unorthordox placement of Martinez on the right, is admittedly controversial; but it is something I would try. Martinez has to make the line up because of his multiplying effect on those around him. Ideally I'd play him as an inverted left back, but Shaw is too good to leave out, so I have moved him to the right. Martinez has operated in DM before, and I don't think he'd have any issue playing as a hybrid full-back/defensive midfielder. From a technical perspective, his passing is excellent. Plus, defensively, he is as hard as nails. The closest thing we have to a Keane like character, and I think that's a big boost to all around him. A right side of Martinez and Bruno is extremely competitive and determined, if not a little weird looking on paper.

My key substitutes would be: 1. Lindelof (I see him able to play Martinez's role, or as cover at CB) 2. Dalot (Able to play either full back role) 3. Eriksen (The man I didn't want to leave out, and the first player I would bring on if I felt we weren't keeping the ball well, or were struggling to play through the opposition). 4. Garnacho (I still think he's better as an impact sub. His decision making is dreadful on the whole, but he has oodles of technical quality, a good work rate, and is especially dangerous against tired legs). 5. McTominay (He's the sort of squad player every squad needs. Willing runner, has decent "llegada". Technically limited, and tactically stunted, but the sort of player you turn to when you need to win ugly. 6. Antony (Has his qualities, in that he's very press resistant, he's good at keeping possession, and he's a very hard worker. He has absolutely no end product though, and so not a player I would bring on if I was chasing games. More a player I would bring on to replace tried legs and see a game out).

Amad and Hannibal are interesting because of their age profiles and potential, so would get some minutes when the rotation allows. The rest of the squad is much of a muchness.

I am aware there are some controversial prospects here; but this is what I would go with if my job was on the line. If I was accountable for results and decisions. Would I stay playing that way if it didn't work? No, of course not. I would make adjustments. Would I have to move Bruno more centrally? Maybe. Would I have to pick a more traditional right back? Perhaps. Or even put a right footed CB at right back, like Lindelof? It's very possible. But when I look at the way the game is played today, how I would want my team to play, and more intangible factors like personality and character - elements which make us really hard to play against - then this is the line-up and set up I come up with. Even if it does require seeing players in positions we aren't use to seeing them in. At the end of the day it is all about the collective, not individuals. I don't care, for instance, if Bruno's numbers go down as a result of him playing on the right (I don't think they would in this system), as long as the team's numbers go up.

Great post!! Very detailed… I like the line up and the reasons for it.

red_de_pologne

Tell us how would you line up with the 13 players missing from the team as it is now, ETH doesn't have the luxury to play Lisandro or Casemiro.

Still, putting Bruno on the right is a travesty.

Fridge chutney

Instructions

My Analysis

Stylistic Approach

My Line Up

I like your lineup. I'd be inclined to replace Varane with Martinez as CB and include AWB at RB. I'd start Anthony on the right instead of Bruno. I think he would work better with Mount positionally.

Cloud7

Onana
Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Mainoo
Bruno
Antony - Rasmus - Garnacho

Not hugely different from what ETH might actually go for with everyone available, however on a personal level I am not a fan of the "two attacking mids and full backs playing midfield" type of setup

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I think this will be our best line-up with everyone fit:

Onana
Dalot Varane Maguire Martinez
Casemiro Mainoo
Mount Fernandez Rashford
Hojlund
GK - Onana because Heaton from what I get is also a bit injury prone.
RB - I think both our options are shit but Dalot at least can pretend to be a footballer.
CB - Varane is our best option at RCB and Maguire has played most of his life at LCB
LB - Martinez would be my preferred option as I don't think Shaw is good enough.
CM - A double pivot of our two best CM's
RW - Since we don't have any good options, I would play Mount as a tucked midfielder on the right, who could help both in midfield and the attack.
#10 - Fernandez as a creative outlet purely.
LW - A well rested Rashford is still the best we have at LW.
ST - Hojlund is the only one we have. Martial is a non-entity at this point.

I would play mid-block for the rest of the season as the only other way you can play with Case and Maguire in the team is a low block. A mid-block still gives us an opportunity to play a little higher up and compact the pitch. It would stop teams from cutting through us like a warm knife through butter. It also makes use of Onana's sweeping capabilities, which seems like is his best attribute.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Full team I'd go for the following

GK: Onana

RB: AWB
CB: Varane
CB: Martinez
LB: Shaw

Commentary: Dalot is simply shit. His attacking prowess is overrated and his defensive skills is abysmal. Maguire is half decent in a deep line but he doesn't scan enough to know what's around him and Evans is ancient

DM: Amrabat
CM: Casemiro

Commentary: We need a solid defensive unit in CM who will win ball possession and keep it in the opponent's half

RW: Pellistri/Amad/Mount
LW: Regulon

Commentary: Our wingers are the most frustrating part of our team. They are lazy, their creativity input is non existent and they all think that they are prime RVN so they constantly go on goal. Id rather have hardworking wingers who do the work rate and actually try to work for the team then this tripe

STK: Hojlund/Rashford

ROFLUTION

Instructions

My Analysis

Stylistic Approach

My Line Up

So effectively it's:
Bayindir
Martinez-Varane-Maguire-Shaw
Casemiro-Mainoo
Bruno----Mount----Rashford
Højlund

I like the exercise, but since this thought exercise is an alternative to what Ten Hag does, how would you line up with the current squad with no injuries?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Steady the ship by making it hard to beat.

Mainoo -- Casemiro --Amrabat
Bruno --------------- Mount
Hojlund
Probably Garnacho for Mount.

Last edited:

Overhaul FC

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Reguilon
Mainoo Amrabat
Mount Fernandes Garnacho
Hojlund
I can't be told that this isn't our best 11 if everyone was fit.

The only question marks would be that Shaw could come in to be better defensively than Reguilon however I want to focus attacks more down the left side, with Mount and Fernandes arriving late. The legs of Reguilon, Garnacho and Hojlund would progress the ball.

AWB, Varane and Martinez will always be solid defensively.

Amrabat and Mainoo give us everything we need in a two. Legs, tackling, strength, and an ability to get the ball to the players that will score or assist.

With attacks mainly going down the left and with two CDMs/CMs playing in their actual positions rather than an advanced Mount/McTominay, Bruno would be able to be at his best. Helping join attacks at the right time. Focussing on creating chances for himself, Hojlund, Garnacho and Mount.

There's no way Antony is better than Mount in that position and their career stats show it. However ETH would have to admit he was wrong on both of those signings to finally do it. He won't admit he was wrong to pick Mount for CM. However that's not what this thread is about.

My team easily gets top 4 even from this position. Shaw is injured and Martinez is back training so it is possible when Mount returns to play my lineup and it's not unfeasible for ETH to man up and play it.

If he had gone with this lineup from the start of the season we would have easily qualified for the Champions League knockout rounds.

Other players which should be used in rotation to play no more than 2 out of 6 games:
Lindelof for Martinez
Maguire for Varane
Dalot for AWB
Shaw for Reguilon
Casemiro for Amrabat
Eriksen for Mainoo
Eriksen for Bruno
Rashford for Garnacho
Martial for Hojlund
Antony for Mount

If only Ten Hag hadn't spun himself into having to play certain players in certain positions...he should've admitted these mistakes long ago. My team gives a great balance of defense and attack and is ready for the Premier League and Champions League level.

Bondi77

Varane and Casemiro playing their Madrid form would walk in to the starting line-up but we have to look at the here and now and that is Varane is more often injured than fit and Casemiro gives the ball away under pressure, runs like he is in quicksand and cannot tackle properly.
Reality is a bitch!!

The Urban Goose

Onana
AWB-Varane-Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro-Mainoo
Mount----Bruno----Garnacho
Højlund

On form there's no case for starting Rashford over Nacho, and Case or Amrabat is a coin flip but I'd like to see how Case does alongside Mainoo

didz

Instructions

My Analysis

Stylistic Approach

My Line Up

I agree personnel-wise with the front 6, but I think Bruno probably gets wasted hanging out on the touchline. The point of him there, for me, would be to have him situationally come in to form a box midfield to help with possession and use his chance creation in the half space.

With that, I'd need somebody who behind him who can overlap. AWB is the easy pick as, despite some flaws still existing in his attacking game, he can dribble a bit and has the recovery pace to get back after bursting forward. That shifts Licha into where he's best - at centre back, which is fine for me, because I'd be needing Varane rotated regularly, so plenty of game time for Maguire anyway.

The other main change for me would be to have Mainoo as the deepest midfielder for now, since Casemiro is gonna go wandering to win the ball and he does offer a goal threat. Mainoo is - incredibly - one of the more positionally sound players in the team, so I'd trust him to anchor when we have the ball and, more importantly, he's a much better first receiver from the defence.

Oh and Onana over Bayindir every single minute of every day of the week. He's much, much better.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Onana
AWB-Varane-Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro-Mainoo
Højlund

On form there's no case for starting Rashford over Nacho, and Case or Amrabat is a coin flip but I'd like to see how Case does alongside Mainoo
Thanks for posting that, saves me writing it up.

The only one I was debating was Mount vs Antony on the right, as both don't really fill you with confidence.

That back four and the two dm would really give the team a solid base. We would be winning games one nil all over the place

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Onana
AWB-Varane-Martinez-Shaw
Casemiro-Mainoo
Højlund

Exactly this for me. Although I suspect we’d be better off with Antony instead of Mount I’d still give Mount a go because why not.

ROFLUTION

Steady the ship by making it hard to beat.

Mainoo -- Casemiro --Amrabat
Bruno --------------- Mount
Hojlund
Probably Garnacho for Mount.
IMO you'd spend 3 games to get a draw in each, instead of just winning 1 out of 3 with a more balanced side. I think we're this far up the table to be honest because we don't do draws (0 draws this season). Maybe just do this against top 6-teams away, so we don't lose points to rivals.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
IMO you'd spend 3 games to get a draw in each, instead of just winning 1 out of 3 with a more balanced side. I think we're this far up the table to be honest because we don't do draws (0 draws this season). Maybe just do this against top 6-teams away, so we don't lose points to rivals.
The 4-2-3-1 doesn't seem to work, where we got run over so easily through the middle.
The plan is to dominate possession and be hard to beat, and probably have a go in the last 30 minutes.

I also want to see Bruno, Mount/Garnacho to focus more in attack; instead of spending more energy defending.

Chipper

Adulterer.
As my first decision as manager, I'm announcing that Martinez is actually a defensive midfielder. He played there at times for Ajax although I've no idea how good he was. There's many ways I could do it, but I suppose this would be the template.

--------------Onana
AWB-Maguire-Varane-Shaw
-----Casemiro-Martinez
---Mount--Bruno--Garnacho
--------------Hojlund

Obvious subs/replacements in that lot are Dalot for AWB, Amrabat/Mainoo for Casemiro, Antony/Sancho for Mount, McTominay for Bruno, Rashford for Garnacho/Hojlund.

Wrecking ralf

Onana​

Varane Martinez Shaw

Mainoo Casemiro Amrabat

Mount Garnacho​

Bruno Hojlund​
I don’t think we need to use wing backs or wingers cause we don’t use them properly or have any decent ones. Play a back 3 and 3 in the middle. Casemiro as the defensive one who can also drop between the defenders of one were to move wide. Mainoo and Amrabat either side to act as the link from midfield to attack. Both are defensively sound and can carry the ball forward and drift wide if need be. Mount and Garnacho are inside wingers tracking back when we’re defending but fluidly moving into space to receive a pass. Hojlund is the main striker but has Bruno playing a false 9 role almost drifting either side behind him but also tracking back himself if needed.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Onana​

Varane Martinez Shaw

Mainoo Casemiro Amrabat
Mount Garnacho​
Bruno Hojlund​
I don’t think we need to use wing backs or wingers cause we don’t use them properly or have any decent ones. Play a back 3 and 3 in the middle. Casemiro as the defensive one who can also drop between the defenders of one were to move wide. Mainoo and Amrabat either side to act as the link from midfield to attack. Both are defensively sound and can carry the ball forward and drift wide if need be. Mount and Garnacho are inside wingers tracking back when we’re defending but fluidly moving into space to receive a pass. Hojlund is the main striker but has Bruno playing a false 9 role almost drifting either side behind him but also tracking back himself if needed.
I had a variation with 3 at the back too but did use wingbacks. Reminds of that time Fergie put 6 or 7 defenders out vs Arsenal. I'm not guaranteeing the same success but would be trying to make us hard to beat in extreme circumstances. It's horrible. :lol:

---------------------Onana
-------Lindelof---Varane--Shaw
Dalot---Casemiro-Martinez-Reguilon
--------------Mount--Bruno
-------------------Hojlund

Might get away with Anthony for Dalot. Could bring Garnacho into one of the AM slots and allow him to drift, or Rashford up top alongside Hojlund for one of the AMs in a 3-4-1-2.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Rashford
Garnacho Martial Antony
Mainoo Amrabat
Wan Bissaka Varane Lindelof Dalot

Idea is that Martial can hold the ball with his back to goal/win fouls, as a ten he can receive the ball, his touch is decent enough, can shield, can also drop a shoulder turn and pass. He has a decent enough relationship with Rashford so having him close to him, they can hopefully get some combinations going.

Idea is if we win the ball, we can ping the ball into Martial who drops in, which allows Rashford/Garnacho to get on his bike, stretch the Liverpool defence. Same with Garnacho.

Besides that, I have no idea.

Garnacho - Hojlund - Antony
Mainoo - Bruno - Casemiro
Shaw - Martinez - Varane - Dalot
Onana

Hojlund gets proper support instead of being stuck forward alone with the infernal 4231 formation. Bruno plays forward with Mainoo and Casemiro covering and linking play.
Dalot plays because otherwise our right flank is too easily shut down.

But then our problem is not really our best 11, its the 11 we have available every week.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Rashford
Garnacho Martial Antony
Mainoo Amrabat

Idea is that Martial can hold the ball with his back to goal/win fouls, as a ten he can receive the ball, his touch is decent enough, can shield, can also drop a shoulder turn and pass.

Idea is if we win the ball, we can ping the ball into Martial who drops in, which allows Rashford/Garnacho to get on his bike, stretch the Liverpool defence. Same with Garnacho.

Poor poor lineup with no goalie. Easy goals for the opposition.

ItDoesntEvenMata

If all fit, I'd play a fairly narrow diamond midfield with split strikers until we signed a class winger who will actually cross the ball into the box.

Onana
AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw
Casemiro
Mainoo. Amrabat/ Eriksen
Bruno
Hojlund. Garnacho

Rashford would make this team if he ever gets back to looking like he wants to be a professional footballer again.

Garnacho can pull out wide to create space and pull defences around.

Would hopefully quell the tide of us being cut through so easily and anything has to be more creative than we currently are.

ItDoesntEvenMata

How do you know that there is no reason for not playing Varane ?
Rashford
Garnacho Martial Antony
Mainoo Amrabat

Idea is that Martial can hold the ball with his back to goal/win fouls, as a ten he can receive the ball, his touch is decent enough, can shield, can also drop a shoulder turn and pass. He has a decent enough relationship with Rashford so having him close to him, they can hopefully get some combinations going.

How many years have you watched United?

Having Martial in any vision for our club is a disgrace

Oranges038

With the players available right now... 44 fcuking 2

Get it out wide and sling crosses into the box, anything less than 80 crosses a game is unacceptable. And also feck this inverted winger nonsense if you're left footed you're a left winger and if you're right footed you're a right winger.

Onana
AWB Varane Evans Shaw
Garnacho Mainoo Amrabat Antony
Hojlund Rashford

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I know what Fergie would do after bad results and team leaking goals. He would go with strong midfield and defence, and fullbacks and wingers who's first job is to defend but also to run all day, and go for 1-0 wins for at least ten games until the team resets itself and gets the confidence back. It would be ugly, but it would tightened the defence as the most important thing.

I seriously doubt he would ever play Amrabat as only holding midfielder with Bruno and Mctominay as attacking midfielders while his he is missing important players in defence.

fps

Will Mason Mount ever be fit again? What an incredibly stupid signing, all the warning signs were there.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
With the players available right now... 44 fcuking 2
We have been sticking to versions of 4-3-3 for years, and it just doesn't work, we simply don't have a good enough MF pool of players.
As it is, I always feel like we have 4 passengers, if you include Bruno, which I do, and so we are always on a hiding to nothing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I had a variation with 3 at the back too but did use wingbacks. Reminds of that time Fergie put 6 or 7 defenders out vs Arsenal. I'm not guaranteeing the same success but would be trying to make us hard to beat in extreme circumstances. It's horrible. :lol:

---------------------Onana
-------Lindelof---Varane--Shaw
Dalot---Casemiro-Martinez-Reguilon
--------------Mount--Bruno
-------------------Hojlund

Might get away with Anthony for Dalot. Could bring Garnacho into one of the AM slots and allow him to drift, or Rashford up top alongside Hojlund for one of the AMs in a 3-4-1-2.
Liking this version also. And yes, we can go with 3-4-1-2 also if needed, where we could try Scotty with Hojlund up front.

Mainoldo

Varane Shaw

Casemiro Mainoo Hannibal

Guarenteed more control and better football.

Oranges038

We have been sticking to versions of 4-3-3 for years, and it just doesn't work, we simply don't have a good enough MF pool of players.
As it is, I always feel like we have 4 passengers, if you include Bruno, which I do, and so we are always on a hiding to nothing.
It's been 433 or 4231, but the midfield balance has been neglected, always had holes or been unbalanced. Players not suited to the positions. We had the 2 being Fred and McT, with Matic/Herrera. Pogba was shoehorned in there at times, Casemiro and Eriksen. Just a total fecking mess in the most crucial part of the pitch.

Klopp plays with a 6 and 2 8s. It's balanced and it works, because he brings in players that suit it, MacAllister was a nailed on Liverpool player, just made for Klopp. Even Endo works because he balances it and he was just a cheap punt.

I'd maybe go with the 4411, with Bruno as the second forward/10, because you can change it in attack to be more of a 433 if needed and let the fullbacks get forward by keeping 2 in midfield sitting back, or even change it to 2 banks of 4 or a 4141 in defence as needed.

With that you can get the best out of Bruno by kind of allowing him a free role in attack behind the front man.

Last edited:

Patchbeard

If you're going to have Bruno or Mount on the right who will want to get involved centrally then I think you need a RB who can provide some consistent width and threat down the right flank. So Martinez at RB is not the one for that reason, let alone how much the thought of a left footer playing RB hurts my brain :wenger:

And then the trouble is AWB doesn't provide enough threat down the flank, whilst Dalot likes to join in the midfield or just shoot because he once scored a goal, and then forgets to track back.

So what this thread has unfortunately made me realise is just how much we also need a new RB. What I wouldn't give for a prime Gary Neville.

Ekeke

I'd go to 4-3-3 and sign Ndidi in Jan so we have someone who can play a genuine DM role (someone who senses defensive danger) and he should be less expensive than at previous times and alternative options like Palhinha.

Until then 4-3-3 with Mainoo playing deep, Eriksen getting on the ball and McTom in midfield. Amrabat, Mount and Hannibal options off the bench after an hour if McTom doesnt look like scoring.

Then in Jan I'd have Ndidi holding, Mainoo and Eriksen or McTom (if in goalscoring form) competing for the 3rd place with Hannibal and Mount having time off the bench

For me Bruno goes straight in as an attacking 3 option. But the 3 up front dont have to be widely dispersed. Bruno can still play an AM/centralish role with Garnacho on the left and Rashford competing with Hoijlund as the striker. Then its up to the midfielder playing towards the right to make runs into the space on the right that Bruno is leaving and Bruno can play them in. This could be a good avenue for McTom to get into the box, or Mainoo to have a dribble in a dangerous area and look to make something happen.

I'd trust the midfielders a bit more than wingers to track back and be in good positions when our moves break down, especially after signing someone like Ndidi who is happy to give away a freekick to let the team reset when it looks dangerous. so I think we'd be less vulnerable to counterattacks with the extra midfielder in and the 1 less player in attack/ahead of the ball that 4-2-3-1 provides.

Scoring league goals may not be improved over our current struggle with my changes, but we'd be better to watch in buildup and far more resilliant to easy tactics of sucking us in and springing on the counter to get a goal.

joedirt87

4-2-3-1

Onana
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Amrabat Mainoo
Antony Fernandes Garnacho
Hojlund
Overlapping full backs, two holding midfielders so that Bruno can go back to being a 10. I think Bruno would deserve a chance to play at the position he was brought in for and excels before dropping him. Play as a much more compact unit on both sides of the pitch. I'm setting my centerbacks up past the halfway line so that were trapping teams in their own half and none of this crazy gulf between the front line and the back line. If we get beat with low percentage longballs or some incredible passing oh well, not like this team is defending great anyway and you bought a keeper that likes to sweep so utilize it. Obviously Martinez and Casemiro would come back into the the team when healthy. Would give Amad a shot at RW.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How many years have you watched United?

Having Martial in any vision for our club is a disgrace
I have been a supporter of Manchester United since the Munich Disaster.
And if you had taken even a cursory look at my posts, you would have clearly seen that I have zero time for Martial. So you have made a mistake.

So how many years have you been a supporter of Manchester United.