If you took over tomorrow, how would you line up?

Chipper

Adulterer.
I am going to follow up on this exercise by doing a line up of the players currently available. Which is a fair and valid point.
I don't think I could have a set lineup with the players currently available. It would have to change from game to game, switching to whatever I think gives us the best chance of surviving or winning in a particular match. We're not strong enough to impose what we want to do on each team we face right now.

Big underdogs vs. a 4-3-3 (Liverpool), I like this system as a rule:

-----------GK
----DEF-DEF-DEF
WB---DM--DM---WB
-----------AM/F9
---FW-------------FW

Not nice having to think almost exclusively about them but these are the times we're in. I think we've done something similar against City before in recent years, and that it worked.

Might wait on team news to see if that's workable, but I think I could play this without Hojlund.

5 vs their front 3 at the back at times, meaning that if a wingback gets beat by one of them, you still have numerical advantage vs. their front 3. If their full back attacks, our WB picks him up, and with the opposite wingback tucking in that's still 4 vs their front 3.

Clog up the middle with the two deeper midfielders, plus with some help from the more attacking midfielder/false 9. He drops off and lets their central defenders have it when we're out of possession. Central midfield area becomes 3 vs 3.

Fowards are playing wide as a rule. If the ball is on his side of the pitch he picks up their full back initially before the wing back takes over. He can be free to counter into space left by them once he passes responsibility on to the WB should we win the ball back then. By staying wide he can hopefully discourage their full backs from attacking at times too, pinning them back. The other forward drifts more centrally from his default wide position if the ball is on the opposite flank from him to offer support should we be able to counter, and to put at least some pressure on their central defenders.

Edit: Here's that City game - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...e-2019-2020-Manchester-United-Manchester-City

James and Martial were wide as you can see from their heatmaps on there. Just 27% possession but did them 2-0. Ederson helped with 2 feck ups but xG was still 1.74-0.59 in our favour.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Onana
Dalot Lindelof Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Antony Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund​

I'd ease Amad in on the right, can't say he's ahead of Antony yet. I'd let Rashford work his way back if he manages to pass Garnacho, If not he stays on the bench. I'd keep casemiro around, but give him the support of someone like Mainoo who can help him on and off the ball. I'd play them as a proper double pivot. Eriksen and McTominay would be the backup pairing until we get the chance to get new players in. Then I'd get a younger DM with potential, and maybe get Garner back to be part of the squad in that double pivot.

Lindelof I'd pick as I'd cash in on Maguire and Varane. Ideally would buy a CB who is physical, fast, and good on the ball .. Todibo or Diomande options, but for this just picking what we have.

Sancho would be out, Van de Beek, Martial, Mount all out at the earliest opportunity (Martial the summer). No reason to keep players who I don't envisage playing much, and Mount is purely a Bruno backup.

Antony I'd look to replace in the summer and bring in a dynamic RW who likes to run with the ball, dribble, and create. Nico Williams would be great but he's not going anywhere... worth a try though.

Wingers in this system would hold their width, fullbacks would tuck in and stay narrow, help that build up but support out wide when needed to overlap. Bruno would have his freedom to roam around, but basically be a proper 10. Mainoo the deep playmaker, Casemiro the ball winner. Both very adept at the others job so it's versatile, but they have their primary roles.

#W203_Red

I would go with:

Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Mainoo Mount
Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

AWB has to start at right back with Bruno being on the right.
Bruno leaves us too exposed in the middle of the pitch but if not working can be flexible with Mount.
The midfield three bring a combination of technical ability and energy.
Martinez brings balance and the ability to get the best out of Onana playing out from the back.
Varane and AWB are outstanding 1 on 1 defenders and allow us to press high up the pitch.
Obviously this seasons version of Rashford cannot start but if we he regains form then is an option instead of Garnacho.

RatPack

For the Liverpool game.

I wanted more defensive players on but we do not seem to have more available :-)

--------------------------Højlund-----------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
McT-------Amrabat--------Mainoo------Dalot
Reguilón--Evans--Lindelöf--Varane--AWB
--------------------------Onana---------------------------

Schmeichel=God

For the Liverpool game.

I wanted more defensive players on but we do not seem to have more available :-)

--------------------------Højlund-----------------------
McT-------Amrabat--------Mainoo------Dalot
Reguilón--Evans--Lindelöf--Varane--AWB
--------------------------Onana---------------------------
Come on mate.
Maguire up front surely. Picks itself.

Alemar

Bayindir

Shaw
Martinez
Varane
Bissaka

Mainoo
Casemiro

Garnacho
Bruno
Amad

Hojlund

Red00012

Instructions

Pretty simple, if you took over as manager tomorrow, how would you line up once you had everyone back fully fit? Try and explain your system and rationale.

The temptation for many will be to come in and bash other people’s line ups and tell them why they wouldn’t work, but for the purposes of this thread I encourage only constructive posts with a line up and explanation. More than anything, I am interested in seeing where ideas overlap, and where new innovative thinking is present.

Preferably, I’d ask you to post basic player instructions too.

My Analysis

It seems to me that most of our problems stem from the midfield. It is obvious that there is a gigantic gap between the defence and the midfield, either because the midfielders are pushing up too high, or the defenders are sitting too deep. As I see it, the midfield has three primary roles (1) To protect and screen the defence, closing down channels and breaking up play, (2) To control the rhythm and tempo of the game, & (3) To progess the ball through transitions, carving out opportunities for attacking play. How one goes about this, whether it's by sitting deep and rapidly counter attacking, or pressing high and cycling possession and probing for openings, is a stylistic rather than functional pursuit; and most likely determined by (a) personal preference, and (b) the players at your disposal.

So when I am putting a team together, I am looking for midfield players who are competent in all aspects of this trifecta because I want my team to function as a unit. Defending as a collective and attacking as a collective.

Stylistic Approach

I am not a fan of suicidally high lines, nor am I a fan of sitting deep and parking the bus. I go for a moderately high defensive line, and keep the team compact by pressing fairly high up the pitch, but not all the way through to the goalkeeper because with the players we have, I think it leaves the whole unit far too spread out. Once the opposition crosses a certain line of engagement, then I like hard pressing, a compact unit, and when we win the ball back, my preference is to cycle possession looking for openings. In the eventuality of a counter press situation where we win the ball back and can create a fast break-away or overload, then I would instruct my team to go more direct. However, as a general rule of thumb, I would discourage too much direct passing, as it often just results in a rapid loss of possession.

Because of this, I favour players who are both positionally intelligent, and have a high work rate, however, the most important attribute I look for in a player is technical and tactical ability, especially with regards to passing and decision making. I think that for our team to work, we have to have at least one or two players who can completely disrupt the opposition tactical plan, by either (a) beating a man regularly (potentially Rashford or Garnacho), or (b) passing through the lines and cutting opposition players out of the game (Eriksen). Eriksen has deficiencies in some areas (like his physicality) but he is a player I greatly appreciate because of his ability to pass through the lines and create attacking opportunities.

My Line Up

Goalkeeper: Altay Bayindir. I'll admit that I know next to nothing about him. I am picking him in my first game simply because he's not Andre Onana. While I appreciate Onan's ability with his feet, his decision making and general shot stopping skills are really, really erratic, and I just can't have that in a goalkeeper. So Bayindir gets his chance.

Right Back: Lisandro Martinez. Yes I said it, Lisandro Martinez at right back. Why? Because I want my right back cutting inside and playing through midfield. Linking up into defensive/central midfield, and even creating underlapping situations further forwards when the opportunity presents. I think this works better when the player cutting in, is cutting in onto his stronger foot. Martinez makes any team I put out because of his competitive instincts, and from a technical standpoint he is the best passer from the back that we have. Stepping into midfield so much suits his aggressive game. He will also shift across at times, as we morph to a three man defence.

Left Back: Luke Shaw. Pretty easy one. I'd want him bombing down the left creating overlap opportunities for the LW. Likewise, he has the ability to shift over into a three man defence when Martinez is further forward.

Center-back: Rafa Varane. Despite his recent unpopularity, he is still our best defender, and he provides the aerial presence, reading of the game, and pace to play the sort of defensive line that I want to.

Center-back: Harry Maguire. Give the man some credit. Strength of character to fight his way back into the team, and he has been excellent of late. Varane provides him the recovery pace, which enables us to get the best out of Harry. His aerial dominance, his physicality, and his passing out from the back.

Anchor: Casemiro. Personally, I have to play with a positionally disciplined anchor, His role is to win the ball back, and intelligently recycle possession until the team is back in control of the ball. I don't want him venturing forward much, if at all, and I want him strong - physically and mentally - and able to drop into the defence to cover for errant center halves. His is a screening role, and his game should be focused around short passing and intelligent positioning. All of which I feel are Casemiro's strengths.

Deep CM Playmaker: Kobbie Mainoo. I said before that I prioritise technically gifted players, and I singled out Eriksen - who is very hard for me to leave out of this team. This position was a straight shoot-out between Eriksen and Mainoo, and the youngster won out because of his superior physicality, stamina, and pace. Like Eriksen, with Mainoo it is his spatial awareness, his tidyness and insightfulness with the ball that attracts me to his selection. This role in my team has slightly more defensive responsibility than the third midfielder, in that he will often drop into a double pivot with Casemiro. However, it is important to remember that I want the unit playing close to each other and moving up and down the field as a unit, so he''ll be just as close to the third midfielder as he is to Casemiro.

Advanced CM Playmaker: Mason Mount. Whhhhaaaattttttt? I hear you say..... But Mason is made for this role. He is a hardworking midfielder who doesn't have the positional awareness to play the deeper of the playmaking roles, but in a slightly more advanced position gives you most things you need. Great teamwork, enthusiastic pressing, he's a good passer of the ball, and he's press resistant. He also has was the Spanish call "llegada". He "arrives" in goalscoring positions.

Right Forward: Bruno Fernandes. People might think this is a waste. But putting Bruno out on the right gives me several things in my team. Firstly, you get what you always get with Bruno, a tremendous work rate. You also get a right footer on the right side, which enables us to swing deliveries into the box from wide positions. I see him playing the role more in the mold of a Beckham than I do a Kanchelskis. He's not skinning anyone on the outside, but he is playmaking from out wide, working his socks off, switching play, getting into goalscoring and goal creating positions, and swinging genuine crosses into the box. By virtue of being right footed, and leaning more towards going on the outside (something I want to happen to create more width and stretch the play), he leaves space for the left footed Martinez to cut inside.

Left Forward: Marcus Rashford. Mr Popular. A polemic figure, even by United standards. But he's the only true genuine top class forward we have. He only player really capable of lighting it up on a regular basis and being a virtuoso performer. He's having a stinker of a season granted - but lord knows what is happening behind the scenes. All I remember is that he carried us on our backs last season and was fecking brilliant. I would instruct him to go inside and go at them, looking for overlapping runs from Shaw.

Center-Forward: Rasmus Hojlund. He's hardly hit the ground running, but with a functioning unit behind him, I think he will come good. He has all the attributes. Technically good. Strong, quick, powerful runner. Tremendous work rate. I believe he would thrive on the service from Bruno out wide.

Well, that's my team. I think it would be hard to beat. Five of that front six (Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Hojlund) are all very hard workers in terms of their pressing, or hard to get past. I think that out of the gate this makes us a very hard team to beat. Which is important. It's also a team that has a ton of technical ability. The unorthordox placement of Martinez on the right, is admittedly controversial; but it is something I would try. Martinez has to make the line up because of his multiplying effect on those around him. Ideally I'd play him as an inverted left back, but Shaw is too good to leave out, so I have moved him to the right. Martinez has operated in DM before, and I don't think he'd have any issue playing as a hybrid full-back/defensive midfielder. From a technical perspective, his passing is excellent. Plus, defensively, he is as hard as nails. The closest thing we have to a Keane like character, and I think that's a big boost to all around him. A right side of Martinez and Bruno is extremely competitive and determined, if not a little weird looking on paper.

My key substitutes would be: 1. Lindelof (I see him able to play Martinez's role, or as cover at CB) 2. Dalot (Able to play either full back role) 3. Eriksen (The man I didn't want to leave out, and the first player I would bring on if I felt we weren't keeping the ball well, or were struggling to play through the opposition). 4. Garnacho (I still think he's better as an impact sub. His decision making is dreadful on the whole, but he has oodles of technical quality, a good work rate, and is especially dangerous against tired legs). 5. McTominay (He's the sort of squad player every squad needs. Willing runner, has decent "llegada". Technically limited, and tactically stunted, but the sort of player you turn to when you need to win ugly. 6. Antony (Has his qualities, in that he's very press resistant, he's good at keeping possession, and he's a very hard worker. He has absolutely no end product though, and so not a player I would bring on if I was chasing games. More a player I would bring on to replace tried legs and see a game out).

Amad and Hannibal are interesting because of their age profiles and potential, so would get some minutes when the rotation allows. The rest of the squad is much of a muchness.

I am aware there are some controversial prospects here; but this is what I would go with if my job was on the line. If I was accountable for results and decisions. Would I stay playing that way if it didn't work? No, of course not. I would make adjustments. Would I have to move Bruno more centrally? Maybe. Would I have to pick a more traditional right back? Perhaps. Or even put a right footed CB at right back, like Lindelof? It's very possible. But when I look at the way the game is played today, how I would want my team to play, and more intangible factors like personality and character - elements which make us really hard to play against - then this is the line-up and set up I come up with. Even if it does require seeing players in positions we aren't use to seeing them in. At the end of the day it is all about the collective, not individuals. I don't care, for instance, if Bruno's numbers go down as a result of him playing on the right (I don't think they would in this system), as long as the team's numbers go up.

So what would you do if you were made manager tomorrow?
Can you imagine going to all this effort on a thread and putting Bayindir In goal and Bruno on the right :lol: :lol::lol:

Chumpsbechumps

If I took over tomorrow , I’d ask ETH to come straight back as a Co-coach and make Onana captain.

Then I’d start a pole in the caf “would you sack chumpsbechumps” and reset it anytime I do something that annoys people , like keep playing Rashford and praising poor performances.

Schmeichel=God

Sorry if it's overly large.

I'm liking what Reguilon's giving. More direct and explosive than Shaw, who's looking like he's better suited to that LCB role now, with periodic dynamism his thing.
As options I don't mind Maguire replacing Casemiro, and him Martinez, but I don't want Maguire ever at the centre. Lindelof next in line to replace Varane.
Shaw could go LWB and Martinez to LCB.
Amrabat/McTominay an option for Martinez rotation.
AWB in at RCB or Dalot.
Mount for Eriksen
Garnacho & Martial rotation up top.
Compact on the pitch, fairly high up. Variety of direct or short passing buildup/control possibilities.
Interchanging positions and channel running. Movement the order of the day.

And, if forced to use the second string then it's in their own formation.

FM style fun over. Let the defeats roll in :wenger:

(edit: I can see it's far too large, but paint/imgur won't let me resize it properly - apologies)

padzilla

Hipster
I'm not convinced Ole's 3-5-2 formation isn't worth looking at again.

GazTheLegend

@simonhch where are the goals going to come from? We need Bruno Fernandes central because he's the only goalscorer in the team. I'd be much more unorthodox personally because clearly things haven't worked for us, so we do need to do something new. I'd also sit down with Jadon Sancho and put an arm round him. Maybe he is lazy and late to training. Maybe he's been a bit disappointing. But he's got more talent than most.

McTominay
Rashford-Fernandes--Sancho
Casemiro-Mount
Shaw-Varane-Maguire(Licha when fit)-AWB
Onana
Maybe it's harsh but Hojlund should be on the bench now, as should Garnacho. You want subs to change the game, well, they should be the subs. I'd look at the full backs I want them getting up there and getting the ball in - but I need my 6'4 marauding number 9 who CAN shoot and can head the ball and score goals up there to make the full backs (ironically maybe Dalot, he does get the ball in) to work out. My instructions would be to work the ball out wide, try and play through in transitions if we win the ball back in the mode but once teams are set defensively I'd want the ball into the opposition box as soon as possible but I'd want it from the byeline. Don't care if they have two 7 foot tall centre backs, you can work off the second ball. I'd still press high but I'd be wary of who the opposition had at the other end - Liverpool don't really play through they just work the ball into the box, that's how THEY score goals. We piss about so much with the ball and are so slow at the back it's easy.

Hojlund hasn't worked out for us, but off the bench there would be a lot less pressure. Ten Hag can't afford our 90m signings to be failing to the degree they are - it looks bad on him either for sanctioning their signing (Rasmus) OR for failing to get them to even play a game of football (Rashford/Sancho) and I don't imagine that this is going to end well, either EVERY player goes or he does, and knowing the Glazers they will pick the cheaper option: remove the manager. It's not his fault the most talented players are nobheads, it is what it is, but he's got to work with them unfortunately and pretend they're all his friends until they're gone. He's not done that and he's taking the heat for it but again - it is what it is.

davidmichael

Heaton, AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Mainoo, Diallo, Fernandes, Garnacho, Hojlund in a 4-2-3-1

Dannn411

With available players:

Onana
AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw
Mainoo, Amrabat, Hannibal
Garnacho, Hojlund, Rashford.
4-3-3.

With everyone fit:

Onana
AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw
Mainoo, Casemiro, Hannibal
Garnacho, Hojlund, Rashford
4-3-3.

BlackBen

[url=http://sharemytactics.com/202011/]
Gk: Onana
LCB : Shaw
CB: Martinez
RCB: Maguire
CDM : Mainoo
CDM : Casemiro
LWB : Regulion
RWB : Bissaka
CAM : Bruno
CAM : Mount
CF : Hojlund

This is how I’d line up because I feel midfield is our main problem and lack on energy there exposes our defense. So just keeping it tint in the middle and try to play more through the midfield. I’d really love to drop Onana but for lack of better options he still starts for me.

Also I feel this is how we may get the signing of mount to work and also this formation forces the team to focus more on providing for Hojlund rather than going for goal themselves

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
4-4-2. No players out of position, no zones left uncovered. Confidence first, creativity later.

Onana
------------------
AWB
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
------------------
Amrabat
Casemiro
Mount
Bruno
------------------
Hojlund
Rashford

SUBS: Heaton, Maguire, Dalot, Reguilon, Mainoo, Mejbri, Eriksen, Anthony, Pellistri, Garnacho.

Ddannidom

Onana
Dalot/AWB--Varane--Martinez--Shaw/Reguilon
Bruno--Casemiro--Mainoo/Mctom--Sancho/Garnacho

Rashford--
Hojlund

Subs: GK, Maguire, Reguilon, Eriksen, Mctom, Garnacho, Martial, Pellestri, AWB​

We concede a truck load of goals and every manager should be wary of conceding that much goals no matter the players at your disposal. Lets face it, we don't have the players to interpret what ETH is trying to do or are they skill-full enough to play a more pragmatic football. We can all see that. So the best thing to do right now is to close our back door as best as we can, sit back tight and hit 'em on the counter. And also our attitude towards dead ball situations should change. You don't lose the second ball especially in our own 18yrd box. We are too soft on air and that allows opposition players to dominate us especially in our own half.

If I take over tomorrow and these players are available, this is what i'd do.

Zed 101

If we are talking fully fit all players available:

1st I would drop Martial and would not allow Sancho back either

I would switch between 2 formations,

I would like to try a 3-5-2 in order to improve our defensive strength

This would be:

Keeper
1 of AWB/Dalot & Maguire/Varane/Martinez & Shaw/Martinez
2 of Casemiro/Amrabat/Mainoo/Eriksen
1 of Antony/Mount/Amad & Garnacho/Reguilon
1 of Bruno/Mount/Amad/Eriksen
2 of Hoijlund/Rashford/McT

4-5-1 would be similar dropping one of the strikers for an extra CB

Last edited:

AgentSmith

The first step is to acknowledge that while a system predicated on dominating transitions made sense for this squad, we have to concede the current set-up is flawed, and largely responsible for making every player in it play worse. Injuries have definitely contributed to this, but we looked shite in the first game of the season against Wolves, despite having virtually everyone available.

The 3-1-6 formation overwhelms and overloads the sole defensive midfielder, while creating a chasm of empty space between the midfield and forward line. It neither produces a potent attack nor offers any defensive stability. While I do believe we're much better at pressing this season, it appears to have come at the cost of every other facet of our performance.

Changes - Retain the positive strides made in terms of pressing while employing a more balanced system to stabilise the team. We played well in a traditional 4-2-3-1 system with a double pivot in midfield last year; recreate this but be far bolder on and off the ball.

Assuming everyone is fit, I would line up like this:

Onana
AWB - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Mainoo
Antony - Fernandes - Rashford
Hojlund

This selection appears to largely mirror the consensus in this thread. The only contentious choices are potentially dropping Maguire and including Rashford. Perhaps arguments can be made for Mount (or Fernandes) playing on the right, instead of Antony, but I believe Antony gives us the most balance there, despite his obvious deficiencies.

The Varane-Martinez pairing gave us solidity last season as they combine very well, and I think the aim should be to replicate it as soon as possible. If people believe Maguire-Martinez would be better, it's no problem to substitute Maguire in, but I maintain Varane is our best central defender when fit (this is a big if). Maguire's revival over the past two months is commendable though, considering the situation he was in during the summer.

Similarly, Rashford almost single-handedly carried our attack last year and his decline in performance has been mirrored by the team's this season. Garnacho has been a much better option than him over the past few months, but ultimately any chance of short-term success will be reliant upon Rashford regaining last year's form, as we simply lack any other credible source of goals. With Shaw re-installed behind him, and the creativity of Fernandes and Mainoo on his side of the pitch, hopefully Rashford will improve. He was rightly dropped though - his performances (and attitude) have been woeful.

Onana - His goalkeeping fundamentals are dreadful and if we could rewind the clock, I don't think there's a single person who would support the transfer (outside of Ten Hag), but here we are. The hope would be a more settled back four and more defensively sound midfield would lead to more consistent and confident performances. Feels a stretch at the moment though.

Wan-Bissaka - Simply a better choice than Dalot. Neither are good enough long-term, but in the short-term it's an easy pick.

Varane - Explained above. Can easily be switched to Maguire.

Martinez - A huge miss this season who will help the team defensively and offensively on his return.

Shaw - Similar story to Martinez. Hopefully can help Rashford as their combination play is very effective.

Casemiro - While, as a fanbase, we definitely embellished his performance levels last season, the idea that Casemiro suddenly became a washed-up liability in midfield because he turned 31 in February (the same week he was the Man of the Match in the Carabao Cup final win) doesn't really compute.

His drop in performance is far more likely to be a system (or lack thereof) which leaves him isolated and overwhelmed with responsibility. Casemiro is not a deep-lying playmaker, and asking him to fulfil this role, while also being the sole line of defence in midfield, is too much for his skillset. Rodri and Rice are the two best defensive midfielders in the league, yet neither Pep nor Arteta would dream of leaving them isolated, on or off the ball, in the manner we do with Casemiro (or Amrabat).

He might have declined slightly due to age and constantly flying across the globe to play 180 minutes for Brazil every few months, but not to the extent we've seen this season. Let Casemiro operate - as the OP suggests - more like the anchor in midfield he was deployed in Madrid, while players around him (Martinez, Shaw, Mainoo) help with the responsibility of build-up play and defensive cover. Getting Casemiro back playing well is almost as crucial as getting Rashford playing well.

Mainoo - It's a reflection of our poor transfer choices that an 18-year old is the best option for this role, but it's also a testament to how good Mainoo already is. His ability on the ball, and the composure he displays with it, are excellent, and stand in direct contrast to other midfielders in the squad. Him and Casemiro appear a good partnership in terms of profile as they are strong in areas the other lacks. Maioo would also enjoy more freedom than he's been currently afforded by having a more defensive partner next to him as well.

Fernandes - The critiques of Bruno have merit but I would much rather see how he performs alongside a competent midfield, rather than identifying him as the sole reason for the current incompetency. His availability and work-rate are almost so good we don't even see them as positives, while he remains our most creative player. There is definitely a negative aspect to this creativity, but I believe a more balanced team, and a more stable structure, will mitigate this to an extent, while enabling his positives to maximise more. He needs to stop the incessant whining on the pitch though - you're a captain, act like it.

Antony - Quite simply, our best right-winger (that isn't a compliment). Has shown flashes over the past few weeks, and his work-rate is always a positive, but he gets in due to a lack of viable alternatives. I would also like to see Mount tried here, but we would then be reliant upon Wan-Bissaka to provide width on the right. It's a problem position with no easy solution.

Hojlund - Raw and unrefined as a goal scorer, but the potential is there. I really like Hojlund and it's not his fault the club overpaid for his services, nor provided a more experienced alternative to help ease the burden on him. He's come into a team struggling to consistently create chances and have squandered whatever good work he has done in front of goal. We should have flown through our Champions League group in 2nd place, with Hojlund being one of the players of the tournament so far. Instead, he's the joint top scorer and out of the competition.

His physicality and pressing abilities are excellent, as is his attitude. There are obvious weaknesses to his game but I think they make sense due to his age (and inexperience), rather than stemming from a lack of ability. We need a more experienced number nine alongside him though, with Martial departing in the opposite direction.

Rashford - Explained above. Garnacho is a good deputy, but is best deployed from the bench against tired legs. We're reliant on Rashford in the short-term, whether we like it or not.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
onana

the best right back from the academy
varane
maguire
evans
shaw

fernandes
mainoo

garnacho
rashford
hojlund

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I can't take any lineup that has Lindelof in it seriously.
Just for the game against the Scousers, I misread the thread title, if we had a fully fit squad then he wouldn't even be a sub!

hobbers

With everyone fit the team basically picks itself.

Onana
Casemiro - Mainoo
Antony - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​

With Bruno banned from coming anywhere near our defensive third.

And then obviously find improvements on AWB, Varane, Casemiro (and not signing Amrabat) and Antony in the summer. Also sell Rashford for some extra spending money on another striker, if at all feasible.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When everyone is fit:

Onana
AWB Maguire Licha Shaw
McT Mount
Garnacho Bruno Rashford
Hojlund

For now:
Onana
AWB Evans(assuming Lindelof is still not back) varane Shaw
McT Amrabat
Rashford Bruno Garnacho
Hojlund

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
4-4-2
Back to basics. Let’s make ourselves hard to beat first and build on it from there. None of this leaving wide open spaces to run into.

onana (anyone that goes for the untested Turkish lad is mental)

Antony - Casemiro - Amrabat - garnacho
Bruno
Hojlund

Bruno plays the Cantona/free role

wingers and full backs under orders to get the crosses in. Let’s get Hojlund on the board ffs

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't know whether I'd go with Amad on the right and Bruno centrally or Amad central and Antony on the right. Thing is, as he showed last season when played in the 10 position, Amad naturally drifts over to the right which I think Antony would benefit from greatly in terms of support when in possession. If he we were to be our RW instead of Antony, I'd fear that he'd face the same issues as Antony now in terms of being completely isolated in possession.

If push came to shove, it'd be something like:

Onana
AWB Maguire Martinez Shaw
Mainoo Amrabat
Antony Amad Garnacho
Hojlund
Not great but, then again, I don't think there's any line-up we could put out that would be considered as such.

Longlivekeano

———————-heaton——————

-AwB——Varane—Shaw—-Dalot-

————-amrabat—mainoo———-

———————Bruno/Mount———-

—Antony——-hojlund—garnacho

Ollie Derbyshire

…………….………Onana
AWB….Varane….Maguire….Shaw
……...Casemiro…Martinez
…….Mount…..Bruno….Rashford
………………..…Hojlund

Martinez in midfield would hopefully stop us being run through constantly
Casemiro can push forward a bit more
Mount is a much better option than Antony on the right imo, better crosses and faster
Rashford would need to track back and be less selfish

First subs;
Mainoo for Casemiro
Garnacho for any of top 4 that aren’t performing and slide players into secondary positions

Obviously all need to be fit otherwise not much more you can do that ETH isn’t already trying.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With everyone fit the team basically picks itself.

Onana
Casemiro - Mainoo
Antony - Bruno - Garnacho
Hojlund​

With Bruno banned from coming anywhere near our defensive third.

And then obviously find improvements on AWB, Varane, Casemiro (and not signing Amrabat) and Antony in the summer. Also sell Rashford for some extra spending money on another striker, if at all feasible.
Absolutely. I think Erik can't wait to get this going.

ItDoesntEvenMata

It is, I agree. But I'm desperate
Fair play! I have had the desperation of putting McTominay and others in the line ups recently when they're just consistently not good enough.

Makes me think over the years, we've actually willingly let good characters go and stuck with some absolute tosh

ItDoesntEvenMata

Not getting Martial on the ball is a waste of him and putting in crosses for him is also a waste. Get him on the ball and he delivers.
'Delivers' - he's delivered 19 goals across the last 4 seasons (including this one) whilst regularly jogging around, making half hearted attempts to win the ball and with poor general play.

The most busted flush ever

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I can't believe I'm going to say this because I hate this formation, but we obviously need to change things up

----------------------------------------------------Onana (reluctantly)-------------------------------------------------
----------------------Varane---------------------------Maguire-----------------Martinez---------------------------
Dalot-------------------------------------------------Cassemiro--------------------------------------------Shaw
---------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------------Mount------------------------------------
---------------------------------------Hojlund---------------------Rashford-------------------------------------------

samlee86

When everyone is fit:

Onana (Never seen the Turkish lad play)

Dalot
Varane
Shaw
Malacia

Casemiro
Mainoo
Erikson

Bruno
Hojland
Rashford

Disclaimer: This team/squad fills me with no confidence.

goalscholes

Onana
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro Mainoo
Greenwood Fernandez Rashford
Hojlund

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
3-1-3-3:

Rationale:
- I love high lines
- I like a back 3 that can play out the back
- I like a diamond in midfield
- I like short quick passing in deep areas, switches of play and through balls past the half way line, one twos around the box, cut backs from wide and a high press
- I like one play maker deep and one high.

- I like A 3 man Shield for my high line

- I like having 3 forwards, one wide with a creative bias, another wide with a scoring bias with an AM in behind who can emulate a second striker. All around a pressing, channel running, center striker.

Line up:

Onana - seen him at AJAX and Inter as a sweeper keeper excel in an organized set up. Especially with distribution with his feet and cutting out through balls. Plus adding an extra man at he back to beat opposing presses.

RCB - Varane - Has the pace to recover. comfortable on the right. Is an excellent defender.
MCB : Maguire : at his best as a central cb in back 3 with pace either side of him.
LCB: Luke Shaw. Has learnt how to operate as a cb. Has the recovery pace. Offers excellent attacking options both in terms of passing and over lapping the only inside out winger in the side

DLP: Kobbie Mainoo - designated play maker from deep. Capable of operating like Pirlo. Sitting deep in possesion.

RDM : Casemiro : play the Gatusso like role. Join in the press when we have possesion. Can protect the right side cb out of possession plus help double team wide players. Can drop into defence depending on opposition tactics.

LDM: L. Martinez. Play the ambrosini type role. But with superior passing. Can protect the left side CB out of possesion. Would be immense in the press with his intelligence and aggression. Plus give the potential to double team opposing wide players. Can drop into defence to make a back 4 depending on opposition tactics.

APM: Bruno: literally plays like a second striker. Would have a free role.

WFR: Mount : His best season at Chelsea was in this role. He'd provide both the goal threat, creativity and the overloads in midfield. Plus on his natural side would provide natural width if stationed wider

Rasmus: I prefer a big strong pressing forward. But especially one who can run the channels.

WLF: Rashford : Having mount wide right would allow Rashford to operate like a wide striker ( a wide forward with scoring bias) which he excelled at last season. I feel he is still to selfish to ever be consistently effective as a creative wide forward.

Subs:
Bayindir
Lindelof (cover for all 3 cbs)
Amrabat (Cover for Casemiro/Martinez)
Antony/Amad (winger cover
Garnacho (cover for striker and wlf)
Wan Bissaka ( in case I need to shut down a pacey winger)
Eriksen (cover for Mainoo)
Mejbri (cover for Casemiro/Martinez)

Structure:

----------Gk------

RCB - MCB - LCB
----------DLP-------
RDM --------- LDM
--------APM---

WRF - CF -WLF

JagUTD

Tomorrow?

I'd be asking for volunteers on redcafe for tomorrow.