Il Fenomeno Draft - R1 - Moby vs Gio

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Gento is a sideline winger. In most of the videos I've watched of him, he tends to drift wide. Even in cases where he picks the ball in interior left midfield, he naturally tends to drift wide. I'd say in a game, he's operate 70% as Outside Left hugging sideline and delivering crosses and only 30% of time, he'd drift to Inside Left. And both being inteeligent players, I don't a problem in them making this work.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
And finally there's Reuter and Vogts where the former gets blown out of the park. Especially when he's up against such a potent left flank. (...) there's a significant gap there especially that right side of Wright and Reuter that will end up costing them the game.
Gullit has to be an important part of that equation as well, imo. The Facchetti/Gullit duel goes both ways - as fitting as Facchetti is to defend Gullit, you couldn't ask for a better offensive player to track Facchetti's forward runs than the Dutchman.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Don't really mind Henry there. Neither of Vava or Puskas were tall and neither of Gento and Garrincha were like Beckham in terms of styles of crosses. That said, a more sharp poacher like Van Nistelrooy might put in more straight forward goals, but there is a lot more Henry can provide link up wise.

For me what is missing there is a runner into the box from midfield who could give you 20 goals a season. Now that is what would enhance that team so much more even without a dedicated number 10 or support striker. I'd much rather have a Lampard there than De Bruyne, almost the perfect setup for him. With Netto and Blanchflower already there as well, I don't see the need for De Bruyne at all. I know he has scored a few but I don't see him as a consistent scorer from midfield.

Delighted with Germano finally making a high profile appearance. Yes, Puskas did put 3 past him, but you only need to look at Puskas' first goal to understand how football worked back then. In that era of uber attacking teams that outnumbered the number of defenders, you don't judge defenders by the goals they conceded, but rather by the goals they stopped. Unfortunately highlights don't cover that and one needs to watch full games. In fact Germano's Benfica beat Puskas' Madrid both the times they met in the European Cup. I personally think Germano is a great fit alongside Moore.

I don't even mind not having a proper DM in front of that defense, its simply beautiful

Coming to team Gio, think I read that Puskas isn't going to be playing the No.10 role as portrayed. I think he will be playing the Baggio role, a role he excelled in the Hungarian league in. Right at home for me, wouldn't hog the ball and give Best and Gullit enough opportunities to express themselves.

The midfield is obviously better than the opposition's, but what lost my vote here is the Wright and Reuter side of defense. I can't see that pair stopping Gento and Henry.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not sold on Moby's explanation - Henry is not a box forward and those two will eat him alive in there as he has no appetite for that kind of scrap or 'unclean' kind of play, as opposed to both of those defenders who lived for it. I believe there are inlets, however, but that Moby hasn't expanded enough on them.

Gento and Henry are naturally going to take up the same area of the pitch, and even if that is not to be the case, and Gento goes to the byline, he isn't crossing to anyone who is going to make use of them, either along the ground - would need to be met by an onrushing attacking midfielder type; or in the air, where Garrincha is not even going to attempt to meet anything on the back post. Vice-versa is the same, as Gento is not that kind of winger, and it's not Henry's game to get on balls across the box.

On the other hand, I don't think Reuter and Wright are going to have a good time of it... if Moby explains some things that haven't been touched upon.

Agree with others about Facchetti-Gullit being a 50-50 contest. Vogts-Best, the same.

Both teams have inlets. As it stands, it feels like a draw to me.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not sold on Moby's explanation - Henry is not a box forward and those two will eat him alive in there as he has no appetite for that kind of scrap or 'unclean' kind of play, as opposed to both of those defenders who lived for it. I believe there are inlets, however, but that Moby hasn't expanded enough on them.

Gento and Henry are naturally going to take up the same area of the pitch, and even if that is not to be the case, and Gento goes to the byline, he isn't crossing to anyone who is going to make use of them, either along the ground - would need to be met by an onrushing attacking midfielder type; or in the air, where Garrincha is not even going to attempt to meet anything on the back post. Vice-versa is the same, as Gento is not that kind of winger, and it's not Henry's game to get on balls across the box.

On the other hand, I don't think Reuter and Wright are going to have a good time of it... if Moby explains some things that haven't been touched upon.

Agree with others about Facchetti-Gullit being a 50-50 contest. Vogts-Best, the same.

Both teams have inlets. As it stands, it feels like a draw to me.
Aye, moby will made me eat a d..., but I would love a more selfish kind of wingers around this set up. Both Gento and Garrincha were brilliant, but in their brilliance they would love to have the ball. While De Bruyne is a perfect partner for Henry in a sense he will release the ball as soon as his main striker wants it those 2 won't. I think for all France success De Bruyne is a more fitted midfielder then Zidane for Henry. But, at least one of those wingers should be more "running into space" type.

Puskas on the other hand is in a freelish role and you need (forger about a proper DM) a proper world class CB to hold it. Especially when someone like Riva can occupy both of them.

Mackay - Tigana on the other hand is no way to go forward in a midfield two.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Aye, moby will made me eat a d..., but I would love a more selfish kind of wingers around this set up. Both Gento and Garrincha were brilliant, but in their brilliance they would love to have the ball. While De Bruyne is a perfect partner for Henry in a sense he will release the ball as soon as his main striker wants it those 2 won't. I think for all France success De Bruyne is a more fitted midfielder then Zidane for Henry. But, at least one of those wingers should be more "running into space" type.

Puskas on the other hand is in a freelish role and you need (forger about a proper DM) a proper world class CB to hold it. Especially when someone like Riva can occupy both of them.

Mackay - Tigana on the other hand is no way to go forward in a midfield two.
Yeah, both sides leave me thinking about the issues they face in terms of cohesive attacking and 3 positions on the flanks cancel themselves out whilst the 4th needs expounding upon as you've got a cluster there that don't quite work, imo.

We need a managerial masterstroke here, guys!

DVG7

I can’t vote on this game @Gio @Moby I genuinely believe it would be a draw. Respect to both of you for putting together such brilliant teams amidst extremely tough restrictions. Both your teams would beat a lot of these XI’s I seen on Facebook and they had an all time pool without having to wait 15 turns before picking again.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well drafted @Moby. Personally would have called it a draw as the teams were very evenly matched. I was probably quite lucky to stumble upon a top tier left-back, because otherwise Garrincha would have been an almost certain match-winner against anyone outside that calibre.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Tough to call this one for me.. I am not a fan of Gio's defence, whilst attack wise.. Gio's attack is unreal. Midfield battle, Moby plays more ball and defensively its okay, but then again KDB would struggle against Mackay and Tigana.

Moby

Dick
Well drafted @Moby. Personally would have called it a draw as the teams were very evenly matched. I was probably quite lucky to stumble upon a top tier left-back, because otherwise Garrincha would have been an almost certain match-winner against anyone outside that calibre.
Yeah tough draw. Good luck going forward.

Enigma_87

You know who
Missed the game. :( Very tough to separate the sides, both managers have crafted two well oiled units.

Think scrappy's idea of seeds is good to be used more often in future drafts, as to me those two sides were really unlucky to face each other so early.

Last edited: