I'm calling it now...we won't make top 4

Djcoops54

We have to qualify for the CL to enable us to buy the players to take us to the next level ie challenging for the league and CL. If we don’t qualify then the likes of Sancho, Rice etc will not come, they will go elsewhere.

Red00012

We have to qualify for the CL to enable us to buy the players to take us to the next level ie challenging for the league and CL. If we don’t qualify then the likes of Sancho, Rice etc will not come, they will go elsewhere.
You should go back and check who we signed when we weren’t in the champions league.

Reactions: Penna

UnitedWeStandOne

Or will they?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The OP is simply pointing out that we may or may not finish in the top four.

Not overly insightful but he isn't wrong.

atomic keane

Spurs have arguably the harder games to play, today pool and still to play City in the league.

I trust Arsenal to screw up at least twice!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm calling it now....David Moyes will not be appointed Director of Football at Old Trafford any time soon.

Or will he ?
Don't tempt fate like that mate, not cool. This should be put in a spoiler, very explicit content.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we dont make top 4 its got nothing to do with anything Ole has done, but rather Maureen sabotaging our season.

Nick.

I thought everybody agreed that spurs had the hardest run-in

Sparky Rhiwabon

I thought everybody agreed that spurs had the hardest run-in
Arsenal have a straightforward run in
Spurs have Liverpool (today) and City away, easy apart from that
We have City and Chelsea at home
Chelsea have Liverpool and us away

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Arsenal have a straightforward run in
Spurs have Liverpool (today) and City away, easy apart from that
We have City and Chelsea at home
Chelsea have Liverpool and us away
We also have Wolves and Everton away which aren't exactly walk overs.#
A really tough run in, which shows how poor we were in the Jose part of the season to be so far behind.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We also have Wolves and Everton away which aren't exactly walk overs.#
A really tough run in, which shows how poor we were in the Jose part of the season to be so far behind.
Not walkovers (I don’t think the Premier League has those) but the gap between the “top six” and the rest has grown so big now that you need to be beating everyone outside the top Six if you want to finish top 3/4

Jezpeza

Hate threads like this. There were hundreds if not thousands of games when SAF was in charge where we played badly yet won. Its the requirement that you have to meet to be a top team - a bit of backbone and the ability to grind out a result when youre not playing the opposition off the park. Sure if you can win every game 5-0 great but thats for the PlayStation. As for the top 4 - its a mirace that we have made up the enormous gap that we had in the first place after Mourinho leaving to even be in contention at this point. 35 points from 42 available since OGS took over. Thats league winning form but unfortunately comes on top of a first half season of mid table form and that if anything is what will cost us top 4 in the end

Oddboy

I'm calling it now... this has potential to be a legendary thread...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Didn’t read op — still disagree.

saeed

its not hard fixture that will cost us 4th place but its midfielder decline that may affect us. matic awful form beside hererra and pogba minds in paris and madrid will have more share in probable failure. maybe its up to ole to make fergusonesque decision and play fred and mctominay since now to salvage this season.

lysglimt

Scout
First of all - I don't think it will be a disaster if we don't qualify for the C.L - long term it may actually be good because it will allow us to play a lot of youngsters, which we can't do against much tougher opposition in the C.L

But - it's impossible to predict who has the tougher fixtures.

If I was to give my thoughts:

United:
We have Chelsea, West Ham, Cardiff and City at home - 2 of those matches we should win, one we can win on a good day, and one will be really difficult. If we can get more than 7 points we have done fairly well

Everton, Wolves and Huddersfield away - the advantage here is that neither team will have very much to play for. Huddersfield is already relegated. So the goal imo is to get 7 Points. But they key is Wolves.

If we get 14 Points - that might be enough to secure top-4. If we get 16 we should manage top-4.

So United should end with 73-76 points

Arsenal:
Perhaps the team that is hardest to determine. Their home-matches on paper look fairly easy (Brighton, Palace and Newcastle), but they have 5 away-matches and some of them look tricky. Everton, Watford, Wolves, Leicester and Burnley. All those 5 matches are matches that Arsenal can win on a good day, all 5 are matches where they can drop Points on an average day.

I would still claim on paper that Arsenal have the easiest fixtures and I can't see Arsenal dropping much more than 6-8 Points from their remaining matches.

My guess is Arsenal get 75-78 Points

Chelsea:
Easiest home-matches, really tough away-games especially with their current form away from Stamford Bridge. Key for Chelsea is Cardiff - if they don't win today, I can't see Chelsea making top-4. They have Liverpool, United and Leicester away. I think Chelsea will get 10-12 Points at home, but it will surprise me if they get more than 6 points away from home.

So my guess is Chelsea will get 72-75 Points.

Spurs:
They have 2 away games against Liverpool and Chelsea where just a single point will be a big surprise. The remaining 6 games are all perfectly possible to win - but realistically they probably can only afford to drop points in 1 other game. So if Spurs win their remaining homegames (Palace, Huddersfield, Everton, Brighton, West Ham) - they will with 90% certainty be top-4 especially as they have points in hand

Spurs to get 75-78

Walters_19_MuFc

Sorry, but Rice and Sancho are yet to suggest they should be walking into CL squads.

We didn't even have CL when we Ibrahimovic and Pogba joined and they were a complete different level to what Rice and Sancho are now.

It helps, no doubt about it, but it's not the be all and end all.

AndyJ1985

We have as much chance as any of the 3 teams around us. I think there will only be 2-3 points separating 3rd-6th

lsd

The Oracle
Might be a knee jerk thread but if we don't make top 4 it won't be the fault of Ole but will be because of Mourinho and the simple fact too many of our players are simply not good enough.

Players like Smalling, Herrera, Jones, Mata, Young ,Lukaku are not good enough for a team looking to challenge at the top .

Ole has a lot of work to do in the summer and his top priority will be replacing those players with players with far better quality

Tarrou

we can make it, but I don't think its the end of the world if we don't

if we can just put together a coherent strategy for the long term it would be a decent start

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I am a little worried with the drop in form. I suppose you could say it’s good to win when you play poorly but the all round recent performances have not been good enough. The new Ole bubble has definitely burst and I think we’re looking a little stale to be honest. We desperately need some fresh injection of style and creativeness.

drmuji

I can't understand how is our run the toughest. Chelsea have by far the toughest one and Spurs have a tougher one than us as well. Only Arsenal have the easiest of the lot but I still expect them to lose a couple.
When old says that we need 15 points in last 7 to reach third, I firmly think that we are capable of winning 5 of the 7

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
...or will we?

I've been saying for a while we have the hardest fixtures.

Today was a great win in what sounds like an otherwise horrible game, but we cannot be this bad and make top 4 with the fixtures we have.

Chelsea might continue to slip. Spurs maybe as well. Arsenal will make it. But I think for every slip Spurs make we will make at least as many.
Make up your mind mate.