"I'm up for it", says ex-hardest player in France

Albert Quixall

I'm up for it, says Heinze

Stuart Mathieson

GABRIEL Heinze has declared that it is all systems go for his Manchester United career.

Now the £6.9m Argentinian is waiting to see if he'll get the green light to make his long-awaited Reds debut tomorrow at the Reebok against Bolton.

Despite a draining non-stop world trek this summer with Argentina for the Copa America and Olympic Games the Athens Gold medallist is raring to go in the Premiership.

"It is up to the manager but personally speaking I can say that fitness-wise I am fine and ready if needed," says the former Paris St Germain defender.

Heinze's delayed start to his Old Trafford career after signing at the beginning of June from the French club saw him on duty for more than a dozen Argentina matches during the summer `break'.

He was a beaten finalist in the Copa America against Brazil in Peru but won Gold for the South Americans in Greece in August. But now the 26-year-old only has eyes for the Reds.

"It's great to be here. I am delighted to finally arrive," Gabriel told M.E.N. Sport.

"It is tough when you have all that hope and expectation when you first sign and then you have to wait.

"Obviously with Copa America and the Olympic Games taking place straight after another my thoughts had to go on that and I am very proud to play for my country.

"But that was then and this is now and I am here with a huge desire to do well for Manchester United. My head is now fully focused on them. I was thinking about Manchester all the time during the summer. It was in my head when I wasn't playing. But when it came to the football for Argentina I had to be fully concentrated on that. You can only concentrate on one event at a time and now my thoughts are on United.

"You are always looking to progress and it is a challenge coming here. What I have achieved and my experience in France will help me with this latest challenge. You always need to take things a step further. I watched a lot of English football on TV in Paris and I was ready for this."

Hard

The Crespo-born central defender or fullback was voted the hardest player in France last season as he helped PSG take second place in the league.

Heinze will let United supporters decide what they think of him.* *“It is down to the fans to formulate their own opinions of me as a player,” Gabriel added. “I am not a flashy footballer who is well known for my technical ability. I am a footballer who does things in my own way. I work hard and try my best at all times.

“I am not going to be blinding the fans with my skills. I can’t impress them that way. But I can promise that I will work hard for the shirt and do things correctly

“We all know it is a tough league and you have to give everything you have got. But I am coming here with hope and expectation.

“I am very much aware of United’s stature as a club and that is why I couldn’t be more keen to do well.

Heinze has been handed the No 4 jersey vacated by fellow Argentinian Seba Veron 13 months ago. Veron left with a 2003 Premiership title medal and Heinze is now hoping to add to his Olympic gold. But the defender won’t be parading his Athens award in the dressing room.

“I have given it to my mum as a present,” he said. “It was the best moment of my football career so far.

“It was great to do a lap of honour in the Argentina shirt knowing the whole country was united behind us and watching us. It was fantastic.

“Because I had hardly played in the Argentine first division before moving to Spain to play for Valladolid, the fans at home didn’t know much about me.

“I was called up this year pretty much as an unknown quantity for many back home. That made it extra special to be called up.

“It has been a really successful year for me and I hope to continue it with United.” :devil:

geek

Misnamed: I'm totally clueless as well
Don't believe the above. It's all lies. ;)
Christ Almighty!!!

This guy needs to win fans over with performances, not this constant flow of verbal diarrhea we keep hearing from him.

Lets see what you're really made of tomorrow eh?

Number7

Ret's Slave
He'll take time to adapt to the league, just hope he plays well tommorow :nervous:

Longlivekeano

Hope he will fill the shoes left beehind by Stam. We have missed a no-nonsense defender ever since the big Dutch author left. Tweety, Rio, Blanc, Wes are more the ball playing kind of defenders. Really hope we have a monster in the air to cope with the big strikers from the less glamorous Prem sides. Example we lost 1-0 to a Beattie header last year. Everton almost stole a draw to 3-3 when we struggled with Duncan Ferguson & even conceded a headed goal to ex-Middlesborough's pocket sized MF Juninho. Time to win aerial headers & concede less goals in the air.

Heinze, u better be good & adapt fast. If not, there are gonna be a lot of vulgar & unhappy posters

Number7

Ret's Slave
1 bad performance and people will be calling for his head. Rightly so as well, he owes us, and if his performances aren't top notch, he's going to struggle to establish himself in the team at all, with young Spector playing so well and the option of Silvestre on the left when Wes is fit and Rio is back.

Kinky Melinky

This thread is so funny. I don't disagree with anything anyone has said, but I find it amusing the way people are getting so pissed off at Heinze - and I appreciate their annoyance.

The lad just keeps talking and talking. If he puts in some terrible performances he's mince meat.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
i see all of his argentina-talk as a warning to saf that there will no doubting where his loyality lies come future inconvenient south american qualifying games

spinoza

Paz's ion
There'll be hell to pay if he fecks up tomorrow

Does this guy speak English well?

I get the impression that a lot of the Argie stuff is mostly filler

The papers have to write about something after the England squad told them to go feck themselves

ryansgirl

Good on Heinze - why shouldn`t he comment on his desire to play for Man United when idiots in the media and their impressionable followers here on the Red Cafe website who apparently believe the crap they are fed by the newspapers have done their best to distort what is going on with him since he signed for us?

I am probably one of the very few posters here who has actually regularly watched Paris St Germain games on satellite tv so I know we are lucky to get such a player. Give him a few games to settle in and you will all be doing the turnaround you did when Alan Smith (the twat we didn`t need, remember, the one who can`t score or play) showed what he is made of.

Another case of I told you so .........................

no7z

Thank you Giggsgirl, you are only the second person after me, who I've seen actually stick up for Heinze. It's like you said "when idiots in the media and their impressionable followers here on the Red Cafe website who apparently believe the crap they are fed by the newspapers have done their best to distort what is going on with him since he signed for us?" It’s nothing but Bandwagoning at it's highest strength, there all just jumping on the ‘bash’ Heinze bandwagon, which I’m quite bemused at considering he is after all a United Player. I mean read an article about the difference between City fans and United fans and the key difference was Supposedly that United fans get behind there players unlike the city fans. But that seem to severely flawed.

I've defended Heinze in many threads because he hasn’t really done anything wrong. As united fans some of you may feel that you rate United's aspirations higher then your national teams, but that doesn’t mean the players have to do the same. Heinze in 26 in he's prime give him a break, it was just unfortunate circumstance that we signed him just before the Olympics and that suddenly he gets a call up to NT. But if any of these bandwagoners watched he's performances for Argentina they'd realise he's top quality and we are lucky to get him + he's gold medal - which would only make him hungrier for further success.

ryansgirl

Well said. As for Heinze supposedly `talking too much to the media` - if he had not replied to their criticism of him (I say `their` as I haven`t read any comments by Sir Alex directed at him in the media), some posters here would have said he doesn`t give a damn about Manchester United.

Heinze is a great signing and has a remarkable will to win. He won`t do a Veron (not slagging Veron, when he has time he has wonderful skills and can show them, but he struggled to adapt to the pace in England) and take two seasons to adjust. I won`t be surprised to see him slot in relatively quickly.

Polaroid

heinze is the defender we need to shore up that soft and porous cotton wool defence, he is a winner like Smith and Rooney, the kind of player who gives no quarters, even in training against teammates. bring him on!

Keilyn27

who's the bigger muppet - ostrich or chicken littl
‘giggsgirl’ said:
Good on Heinze - why shouldn`t he comment on his desire to play for Man United when idiots in the media and their impressionable followers here on the Red Cafe website who apparently believe the crap they are fed by the newspapers have done their best to distort what is going on with him since he signed for us?
Cos action speaks louder than words. The best way to win everyone over is through solid displays on the pitch not a fancy “I love Utd” speech. Anyway now that he’s finally arrived and made a sound debut, gen opinion of him has improved. If he keeps it up, then the earlier controversy’s water under the bridge (erm... till he next tries it I suppose).

You can’t really blame the media in this instance. It’s his Argentina before Utd stunt (not his “it’s a great honour to play for Arg” talk) that’s gotten supporters on his back and it’s not like the media forced him into that decision. Though I concede they helped to fan anti-Heinze sentiments with repeated articles in which he appeared totally unapologetic about his decision and its impact on the team.

mu77

didn't d2 take a lot of yellow and red cards in france? i'm not sure being the "hardest man in france" means SFA in the prem.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
TGA said:
I see this thread hasn't got much longer since the game then....
My point exactly...he can gob shite all he wants...as long as he does it on the pitch...he rammed a few words down people's throats in my view yesterday.

Nice one Heinze.

-maRk-