I'm worried about the Summer, it's simply NOT looking good.

soapythecat

Folk moan about the squad needing an overhaul, and when faced with one moan like feck!
I don’t see us having European football next season so a thin squad will be great and maybe a blessing in disguise. We need to ship out a load of players that seem to want out anyway.
Yes, the club won’t sanction many players but they will have to do something otherwise the sponsors will be pulling out sharpish.
Pogba going will be the hardest to take because it’s the one who played the club the best and will leave a bitter taste in the mouth.
We need a forward - we always knew that
We need a CM - we always knew that
There is a bucket load of free signings that are easily more suitable than the potential outgoings (I include Pogba because a consistent player would be better than 1 in 6 games of quality). RR knows what he wants and our scouts are going to need to be a load better but it’s not all doom and gloom. Let the clear out begin.

Gazza

The goal has to be to make progress. Not challenge for the title. Progress. In personnel, tactical acumen, mentality... just some improvement please. That doesn't need £400 million, although it will take some major spending over not just the next summer but the next ~3 years just to get the quality we need if we want to challenge. But just to improve and make progress? We need to make good decisions and follow a plan, first and foremost. Unfortunately, I don't have faith in that regard either.

edgecutter

Sort the manager first before we worry about playing squad.

A good clear is still needed

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We will do well to sell a couple, let alone 5 or 6. We are poor at buying, even worse at selling.

James Peril

I think it’s going to be fun! A bit like the new Formula 1 stuff, it’s going to be new, way different, something else entirely. And we all know the passion is back come the first day of the new season in new kits and with new players. The ambition is still there, but the entitlement is gone and that’s also fine. United isn’t the club it once was and never will be again, but at some point there will be a start of something great and we’ll see it pretty fast when it does happen. Could be next year, maybe not, but that’s what being a fan is all about.

The problem of course is that any new manager should have started the process already, knowing us we will hire late and leave too little room for recruitment. In theory we should be getting in like 6–7 players, it’s going to be a wild summer. If we don’t, we will easily struggle for top 4 again.

Gavinb33

We can't fix all the problems and the ever-widening holes in the squad by buying expensive players.

The only way we address this meaningfully is:

1) promote the right youth players - the likes of Mejbri, Garner and maybe one or two less obvious ones will fill out the squad and give us something to develop.

2) smart free transfers and low cost options nearing the end of contracts. Two or three of these may only cost £30-40m total. That will include defensive midfield too as we cannot afford to blow our budget on Rice, however ideal he'd be for us.

3) good young strikers are expensive so we'll have to bite the bullet on that one, at least £50-60m probably.

4) most importantly, hire the right manager who can work with young, hungry but raw players - as well as a few older bigger names whose egos will need to be managed.
This is key we need players that play on rhe pitch not sell shirts in the shop.

We have to be smart this summer if we keep doing what we have been trying to do we are doomed to make the same mistakes we have been.

marcus agrippa

You’ve got a ‘fans’ perspective. A business outsider perspective: glazers are unlikely to be running this club next season.

They have been firmly selling shares in the past year. Their commercial machine has run out of juice. The $Man Utd stock price has collapsed -40% in the past year. It is currently headed to all time lows. In fact, the stock has been sold all the way down to where it was 10 years ago in 2012 when united became a publicly traded company. For all that have listened to me, you know that glazers can’t give a rats ass about our on field performances (obviously) it’s been firmly about providing a return for their shareholders. Well that’s over now.

Come the summer they’ll be begging for a buyer. It will finally be at a cheap enough price for people to take it off their hands.

That’s of course if we don’t have harry fighting WWIII in Ukraine come summer.

Calm down, it’s over soon :)

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Most important signing is the manager. Get in a top manager and it gets better.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’m not sure if we ironed it out or whether Rooney matured but he became more of a team player, which is not a bad quality to have. Also ge ended up club top scorer of all time, so he must have been doing something right!
Id like to think it's both. I like players with a bit of edge about them not the role model wannabes. As good as his stats were, we all know he lost a huge part of his natural game.
I preferred the raw, cocky, aggressive, petulent Rooney to the elder statesman Rooney. Same reason I don't want any of our young players moulded to that type.
We are the only club obsessed with players being too spirited and wanting their feathers clipped. Just let the lads focus on their talent and mature naturally into men in time.

Next minute we turn around and start questioning their fight or character, forgetting it was drained out of them.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Maybe if Rooney boozed less he could have done more on the pitch? Like I love Rooney and he was great, but if you are starting a conversation about him maybe not meeting his potential you have to start with the fundamentals before you get abstract?
Fundamentals=playing football
Abstract=pressure leading to drink.

What am I getting wrong here?
What types of pressure was he facing?
Why am I being replied to about not reaching his potential?

My statement, he lost the raw natural flare in his game.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Think we need to go into this Summer with the acceptance that we aren't going to be challenging for the title next season. To go from where we are now to actually being "United-level" competitive would rely on a VERY expensive summer and the new coach clicking straight away. It's possible, but it's a big ask. Liverpool and City look very stable and chances are both will strengthen once again in the summer.

I think I've finally accepted, mainly for inner-peace, that we are going to need a slow transition to get back to where we were. I've accepted we may not make top four for the next couple of years. The new manager might make us click and might make top 4 easy - but as the OP has pointed out - I can't see us bringing in enough people to outweigh how thin our squad will look. Big transition at looking at youth, like Hannibal and Diallo for next year - while also bringing in a couple of experienced players to help the midfield and attack out.

I'll find it exciting either way. We've tried the instant success attempt with Mourinho and LVG. We tried the "United-DNA" attempt with Ole. I think we need to realise that we aren't where we would like to think we are. A £300-400million summer may get us as title challengers, but let's be honest - it ain't happening.

Corridor of Uncertainty

There's some very smart moves that can be made with players who are out of contract.

We've missed the boat on Sule, but Rudiger and Christensen are still available. Not free, but Araujo seems attainable for a decent fee because Barca are trying to lowball him on wages.

Kessie and Kamara are both available. Also Brozovic, who could be a tremendous signing!

I don't mind the club adding to the depth of the squad by this means, allowing whatever money we do have to stretch a bit further.

RopersReturn

Maguire was the footballing equivalent of buying a Rover75 for the same price as an Audi A6.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Fundamentals=playing football
Abstract=pressure leading to drink.

What am I getting wrong here?
What types of pressure was he facing?
Why am I being replied to about not reaching his potential?

My statement, he lost the raw natural flare in his game.

Don't know. I never said it was pressure, that's all your own making. .

And you are being replied to because you brought it up as if it was something other than choices the player made that made the natural flair in his game fade. If you don't want to be replied to then get a blog.

I don't think he did lose it btw, but just that he wasn't indulged tactically and maybe his conditioning wasn't as good as Ronaldo for example.

We will do well to sell a couple, let alone 5 or 6. We are poor at buying, even worse at selling.
This, way too many people playing football manager here.

As if a mythical club will come in and take Martial, Ronaldo, Andreas, Matic, Bailly, Maguire and AWB off our hands :lol: :lol:

These players will 100% be here until their contracts expire.

DavelinaJolie

I think the bigger issue is conducting business with a long term goal in mind. They need to decide who the manager is going to be and start building the team to play the football they want to play. Having the group if players we have, who don't all seem to fit a single approach would suggest that maybe a good clearout is a good thing, not a bad thing. If the new manager wants a high pressing approach, let Ronaldo go as he just isn't a fit. If they want to play a high back line maybe they need to think about a more Proactive goalkeeper than De Gea and faster defenders than Maguire (in which case both should be going).

This is all aside from the fact that the squad is bloated anyway, especially once the loanees come back. Yes it's likely there's going to be thinness in some areas (Forward particularly) but it is also a chance to be a bit more canny and sign players that fit an approach and start properly building, not carry on this scattergun signing approach.

Just have to see if that happens!

KikiDaKats

Supports
Don't know. I never said it was pressure, that's all your own making. .

And you are being replied to because you brought it up as if it was something other than choices the player made that made the natural flair in his game fade. If you don't want to be replied to then get a blog.

I don't think he did lose it btw, but just that he wasn't indulged tactically and maybe his conditioning wasn't as good as Ronaldo for example.
Interesting replies. I'm really trying to keep this discussion on the side of players temperament.
I'm saying you strip down an individual too much they lose some of themself.
Rooney was the prime example I could use because most of us United fans have seen him through various phases of his career.
I'll stay away from the Ronaldo convo.