Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

Zlatattack

I'm not sure Ole will survive to see this window, but we will have some sort of manager in place for this window. I think it's crystal clear now that apart from a few players, we're short of quality. We can't even say we have a quality first 11.

Considering our troubles at the moment, do you expect to see investment in January?

If so which positions? And possible candidates?

I personally am not sure we can recruit anyone in Jan of a decent enough quality.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
When it comes to January the club have 2 problems

1- it goes against the philosophy of this past summer transfer window i.e. not to panic buy and to wait for the right players. It's highly unlikely however that these 'right' players are going to be available in January though
2- given the state the squad was left in in the summer and how the season started the club cant not buy in January and they cant not spend a LOT of money. I'm talking probably more than what was spent in the summer

Panic buys are going to be inevitable whether that's in the form of someone like Eriksen who's in shit form, probably doesn't want to come but will be available or someone like Wilson, not good enough in the long term but may do a job between now and the end of the season and to hell with what that does to him for the rest of his career

redshaw

Jan is quite far away. We could have Ole, Nicky Butt, or a caretaker such as Guus Hiddink or a big name permanent which might influence potential signings. Of course being Jan it will be slim pickings anyway but midfield and attack is in desperate need of attention.

The club need to identify their targets from now, the project can still continue without Ole if the club stick to the plan.

Zlatattack

Was looking at players who's contract expire this summer;

- Eriksen
- Fraser
- Gotze

I'm not sure how many of those would want to move in Jan, or clubs would want to sell. All three would definitely improve us, but i suspect all three will have better options in the summer.

romufc

The club need to identify their targets from now, the project can still continue without Ole if the club stick to the plan.
This is exactly how it should happen and why a DoF is required.

We can still buy the right fit, it isn't rocket science that a ST, RW, CM is required.

If you want the team to play high intensity football you will hire a manager who does that and sign players who fit the bill.

So signing a player like Sancho (even though it is almost impossible now) will still help rebuild and most managers who play that style wouldn't mind him either.

Again with Cm if we can find someone like a Verrati, new managers will be able to work with them/.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How many players want to move 6 months before the Euros as well?

Someone might see it as a chance to earn an international place, but that limits the options even further.

LoneStar

Can we sell Fred please? Almost as important as buying someone

StrettyEnder07

When it comes to January the club have 2 problems

1- it goes against the philosophy of this past summer transfer window i.e. not to panic buy and to wait for the right players. It's highly unlikely however that these 'right' players are going to be available in January though
2- given the state the squad was left in in the summer and how the season started the club cant not buy in January and they cant not spend a LOT of money. I'm talking probably more than what was spent in the summer

Panic buys are going to be inevitable whether that's in the form of someone like Eriksen who's in shit form, probably doesn't want to come but will be available or someone like Wilson, not good enough in the long term but may do a job between now and the end of the season and to hell with what that does to him for the rest of his career
Can I just ask what makes him not good enough? Superb goal scoring record consistently in the league, two footed, pace, good in the air and has superb movement, far better option for me than the likes of Dembele etc. who we are being linked with who can't get even get in the Lyon side consistently.

Would be a very good signing IMO

red4ever 79

Striker and creative midfielder are the two stand out positions that we need. That being said, as mentioned above very difficult to get players in January, let alone 6 months before an International tournament. I can see us possibly signing Mandzukic and that will probably be it. In an ideal world we would bring in,
2 x CM
1 x ST
1 X RW

StrettyEnder07

If you are looking at realistic targets in January:

CF - Wilson and maybe Dembele (although Lyon have just changed manager and Wilson would cost a small fortune as Bournemouth know we are desperate). Manduzkic is the obvious one.

CM - I am assuming that Bruno Fernandes will be available for roughly the same price they wanted in the summer, 50/60M, safe to say he would be a massive upgrade on Lingard/Pereira/Mata in the number 10. Eriksen is a maybe but would he come when he is 6 months away from a mega pay deal and potentially Madrid.

As one of the lads above said, I can see maybe Manduzkic and that be about it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can I just ask what makes him not good enough? Superb goal scoring record consistently in the league, two footed, pace, good in the air and has superb movement, far better option for me than the likes of Dembele etc. who we are being linked with who can't get even get in the Lyon side consistently.

Is he better than Lukaku who we've just let go? imo no

We've tried the experiment to put faith in Rashford and Martial and thus far it's looking like an experiment that was doomed for failure from the get go so now surely we should be looking to get someone top class not a stop gap? Hard to do in January that though

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

60m is the quoted price.

Hawks2008

Trigger Partey's release clause (€50m) before Atletico change it, Sporting would probably still be up for selling Fernandes. I read we're still keen on Mandzukic as a plan b/stop gap so could see it happening.

bond19821982

A midfielder and a striker is a must.

Manduzkic for less than 10m
Then we might try for Rice or the villa lad.

dev1l

A midfielder and a striker is a must.

Manduzkic for less than 10m
Then we might try for Rice or the villa lad.
Forget the likes of Rice and Mcginn. Their clubs will never allow them to leave in January.

settembrini

The most important player we need is a right winger. On account of there not being a single one in the entire squad. Pereira is our first choice there at the moment. He shouldn't be first choice in his best position, let alone one he isn't good at. Unfortunately I could see United completely ignoring this glaring weakness again as they have for the last god knows how many years.

After that we need a #10. On account of Mata and Lingard both looking useless. This is much more likely to happen as we wanted Dybala last summer and I believe we also enquired about Eriksen as well. Lot of rumours we want Maddison but Leicester won't sell in January. We could try again for Eriksen but he is probably going to let his contract expire and then join someone better than us. Dani Olmo is a player we have been linked with who I don't know a lot about but I believe could play this position.

We have to buy at least one player for one of these positions though because our attack with 2 from Lingard/Mata/Pereira starting most games is killing us.

StrettyEnder07

Is he better than Lukaku who we've just let go? imo no

We've tried the experiment to put faith in Rashford and Martial and thus far it's looking like an experiment that was doomed for failure from the get go so now surely we should be looking to get someone top class not a stop gap? Hard to do in January that though
Is Wilson a better player than Lukaku, yes, better movement, 100%, better work rate and would he fit our style of play better, 100%, better finisher/goal poacher probably not.

Not to sure I would class Wilson as a "stop gap", 14 in the league last year in 29 games and 5 in 8 this season for a side like Bournemouth, not bad going that at all.

What top strikers who guarantee you a goal every two games are there to buy either in January or the summer assuming we don't make top 4, which is already looking near impossible, I can't think of many.

Jacob

Only finished once in top-three since Fergie left in 2013, feck me.

redmanc

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Zlatan back on loan, we wont be able to sign anyone that suits our long term strategy so hes a no brainer in my opinion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
A critical window. Top 4 will most likely be out of reach by that stage so we need to put all eggs in the EL basket. How many new players are we allowed to register in the EL squad for February?

CM and striker are a must.

We simply have to get CL football next season or that's goodbye to the likes of Sancho.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yeah, with an international tournament and the EPL early closing summer deadline, we really should be bringing forward some of the more do-able deals in January. Not that I think we plan that far ahead.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Nothing will happen in January. The pool of players from which you can choose is very limited and we'll probably have no European football to offer as a lure.

Nobody in the history of the sport has solved structural first team issues in the January market. Add some depth or a great opportunity, yes. But nothing more.

From "not making signings for the sake of making them" in the summer to "bring half a starting xi in January". *hit the panic button gif*.

A shambles of a club.

But i guess that even if RM offered us Bale on a free, we would still have half the Caf complaining about his age and they would demand some 15-yo to be given time instead. Sometimes i wonder if a relegation battle would be enough to wake up some of our fans.

El Zoido

And who is responsible for that? Ole is the man with the plan, once he’s gone we have nothing. We will hire a new manager who will start everything from year 0 again.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
We could sign players easily, they may cost a bit more but at this point who gives a feck.
Zaha and Wilson are both buyable and would improve us massively.

bond19821982

Who for Wilson? Yeah doesn't surprise me mate they will demand top dollar to sell him in January, can't blame them to be fair.
Ofcourse but 60m is too much for him. Think we will take Manduzkic and reevaluate the options in Summer.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I'm not excited about ANY transfer window until I can see an improvement in our style of play.

Buying a new player involves plugging that new player into an established system. If that "system" hasn't been formed yet then how can we decide who to buy?

It's a chicken and egg....

StrettyEnder07

Ofcourse but 60m is too much for him. Think we will take Manduzkic and reevaluate the options in Summer.
Yeah I would be shocked if we paid 60m mate, 40m odd yeah but prices these days, clubs don't need to sell so the price shoots up, Manduzkic or Zlatan I reckon one of them and that be it, shocked if we get anything else although would rip ya hand off for a new CM!

StrettyEnder07

Nothing will happen in January. The pool of players from which you can choose is very limited and we'll probably have no European football to offer as a lure.

Nobody in the history of the sport has solved structural first team issues in the January market. Add some depth or a great opportunity, yes. But nothing more.

From "not making signings for the sake of making them" in the summer to "bring half a starting xi in January". *hit the panic button gif*.

A shambles of a club.

But i guess that even if RM offered us Bale on a free, we would still have half the Caf complaining about his age and they would demand some 15-yo to be given time instead. Sometimes i wonder if a relegation battle would be enough to wake up some of our fans.
The amount of abuse I got on here saying I would take Bale on a one year loan deal in the summer if we paid half his wages was unbelievable, I can see their point though to be fair, our attack does not need upgrading at all, in fact Bale would be a downgrade haha this place makes me laugh at times.

AlwaysRed66

If we are still fighting relegation by Jan the last thing we need are mercenaries like Bale. We would need seasoned pros up for a fight.

Amerifan

This feels ripe for some panic buys that they are going to regret again in the summer.
Everyone will be rubbing their hands together with glee when they see us coming in January. Unless we get them on a free, I’d rather we save our budget for the summer. It’s not like we’re a player away from competing for the title.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don’t understand how the club have failed so long to do this.

It’s widely accepted we need wholesale changes, identify who those players are & get as many as you can, when you can.

And who is responsible for that? Ole is the man with the plan, once he’s gone we have nothing. We will hire a new manager who will start everything from year 0 again.
The club should have a long term plan for the club regardless of who the manager is. Ole's plan isn't difficult to execute he wanted a young team that can play a high press counter attacking system with a core of British players. This could be achieved with the below managers.

Poch
Tuchel
Naglesmann