"In a couple of days you will understand why I played Lindelof and Smalling"

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Smalling in the 2010-2011 season was absolutely immense. He needs a good run of games and more importantly a commanding partner next to him to get the best out of him. He along with our other central defenders have suffered in recent years due to constant rotation at the back.

Jones simply doesn't stay fit long enough to ever realistically fulfill his potential. I think he could be off to Arsenal, given that they're trying to offload Chambers to palace for £20m. With Mertesacker nearing the end and Wenger's liking of Jones, I think it'll be a good deal for all parties as long as we get at least what they'll get for chambers as a fee, if not a little bit more.
Pros and cons to keeping both of them. For me, Jones' youth makes him a better bet. Easy to forget that in Smalling's first three seasons at United (similar age to what Jones is now) he consistently misseed 50%+ of our league games. His injury record improved over time, so Jones' might too.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Reading those comments it would suggest to me that Jones is currently 4th choice CB, and that's it.

Smalling & Jones have been our best defenders in pre-season though, Lindelof is still finding his feet, and possibly suffering from a lack of confidence.
Jose putting faith in him might be the confidence boost he's looking for.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's trying to create a hybrid played called Lindelling, because it sounds like the word Swindling, and he thinks that's hilarious.

We need an rvn

Its smalling who is off, player+cash for alexis sanchez. It was smalling's last game for us. Wenger has always wanted smalling.
Doesn't make sense to risk a player who's about to be sold though does it - especially with Smalling / Jones' injury records we'll want them wrapped up in cotton wool until that medical is over if they are to be sold.

I'm going with the majority in Jones is off.

Guess we'll find out in a few days though

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'd say we are. Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Rojo and Blind are all in the mix. Tuanzebe pushing for minutes too. How many centre backs do we need?
Rojo is unavailable until the new year (apparently), Blind is required at left back, Lindelof is unproven in the PL. There is also the suggestion we might play 3 at the back at times and that we always have an injury crisis. I'd be surprised if a £20m+ sale has gone under the radar.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He probably just means that he'll play Jones and Bailly in the next game. Either that or something equally uninteresting.

Although, it could be part of his personal agenda against Martial.

Porco Rosso

Managers tend to play players they're trying to sell to gain interest. I'm sure if I wasn't so lazy, I could probably discover an example of Mourinho doing it before selling someone
That logic only holds until such time as a deal is agreed in principle with another club, after which time the inclination would be to guard against injury, rather than further showcase the player. The timescale mentioned by Jose here would surely indicate a deal agreed (assuming we're even on vaguely the right track), in which case it's got to be Jones.

King.of.Red

hmm, strange comment from the boss.
well, I dont mind if we sell Jones tbh.. I like him, but sadly he's so fragile like eggshell.

Giggsy92

Pros and cons to keeping both of them. For me, Jones' youth makes him a better bet. Easy to forget that in Smalling's first three seasons at United (similar age to what Jones is now) he consistently misseed 50%+ of our league games. His injury record improved over time, so Jones' might too.
Smalling was in the squad for over 30 of our league games in 2010/11.

NotQuiteManc

Not sure what to make of that comment, but if Jones is to be sold I would be sad but understand the decision. He is the better defender out of him and Mike, but just too injury prone. Probably a change of scene would do him good.

Bwuk

Bailly is suspended for the super cup, so maybe he rates Smalling as the better partner to Lindelof than Jones.

ghagua

We are going to need both Smalling and Jones. Lindelof will take time to settle in as he looks very timid at the moment. Bailly with his playing style and risky tackles will get plenty of bookings and suspensions. Both of them have their faults, but they are going to be important players this season.

gaz1185

We're obviously signing one of the MSN and it was far too risky to play Jones, he would probably end up injuring one of them.

:wenger:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's trying to create a hybrid played called Lindelling, because it sounds like the word Swindling, and he thinks that's hilarious.
This.

But the creation of Lindelling is actually a smoke screen for the creation of another hybrid player, Bones, who's seriously good - but somewhat rash and injury prone.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's trying to throw the game and covering the final two transfer deals with his winnings.

Verbalkint

I think there's definitely something to this. If it were an injury/suspension Jose would have just said it.

Maybe Jones/ Smalling is being sold after all...let's just wait and see

UpWithRivers

He knows that Jones will injure himself tackling a tree and then later fall down the stairs taking Bailly and Blind out on the way down leaving only smalling and lindelof fit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think he's predicting Jones' next injury.
In 2 days, Jones is scheduled to be injured, which means he needs to find a CB pairing which can be used for the first few games of the season (with Baily suspended).
So, Lindelof and Smalling are being given games to get used to eachother before the important games start.

Either that, or we are buying Messi, Suarez, Neymar and Smalling will be offered to sweeten the deal. :p

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Jones gone or Smalling + Lindelöf for the super cup. Either or both is fine with me.

rocks13

Perhaps Mourinho is just full of shit and we shouldn't read too much into anything he says.

prtk0811

Lindelof have had an average start to preseason. I think bailly would have pressed a lot better than him for the first goal. Lindelof needs to be more agressive.

The iceman's ice has melted with that heat.

Bailly and jones would have defended barcelona better

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I'd say we are. Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof, Rojo and Blind are all in the mix. Tuanzebe pushing for minutes too. How many centre backs do we need?
Blind isn't going to be playing CB under Mourinho unless every other bleeding soul on the team is out.

Acole9

Outstanding
Won't be too happy if Jones gets sold instead of Smalling.

settembrini

Same reasons as others have said. He mentions Bailly's suspension to imply that he is playing Smalling and Lindelof together in preparation for those matches. Would mean they are ahead of Jones in the pecking order. I would have assumed that anyway but I don't think he would have repeated that there is a reason why and it will be revealed soon unless Jones is leaving.

RedDevil@84

Strange statement to make. If he was playing them because Bailly is suspended, he need not give the you ll know in 2 days